Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Lots of regular people get hooked on opioids but as their tolerance grows, they move onto heroin as it's much cheaper (Listen to podcast "Hooked"). Then you're dancing with the devil as tolerance grows further and heroin is cut so can easily OD.

So maybe Matthew Perry's money saved him.

There might also be a connection between fame and addiction. People who seek fame might be more susceptible to addiction. People who are famous might turn to drugs also to deal with problems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say it's more likely that the years of drug abuse when he was on them just took such a toll on his system that it shortened his lifespan. A lot of former drug addicts die relatively early even long after they've given up drugs.

The reports say he was playing pickleball (seems to be some sort of short tennis) for about 2 hours earlier in the day. Might have just been that extra strain that pushed his heart over the edge. It can happen to anyone, but especially if his systems were already weakened through his years of drugs.

Either way, a sad loss. I think regardless of anyone's opinions of Friends, it was hugely successful and he was many people's favourite. So many of the best bits came from him. He was also pretty successful outside of that. It was great to see in recent years that he'd gotten clean and was trying to be open and honest about his experiences in order to try help other people.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Read your first post in this thread. Hardly a normal reaction to a popular actor's death. Who mentioned the presidency or his wealth besides you? You started with a pointless post, so stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

That’s different than calling it “ dry humour “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

You were using it incorrectly then, as junkie is used to describe a person actively addicted to drugs - as well as being a perjorative term.

As for people having qualms about using this term for celebrities, Lindsey Lohan, Amy Winehouse, Lisa Robin Kelly (That 70s Show) spring to mind immediately. There are no such sensitivites there.

In any event, nobody gets lauded for their addiction. Even the most die hard "drugs are cool" edgelord will lose their patience with an addict who simply cannot control their intake. I do not know your opinion, but my heart goes out to the addict on the street. But addiction is very hard to treat and there is little if anything that I can do to help. At least Matthew made a serious difference with his work to help addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So if it comes out that the deceased died with drugs in his system, you won't make allowances for his being "addicted"? You seem to be implying that you know he isn't "actively addicted".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I only watched The Whole Nine Yards recently. A very fun film. He plays surprisingly well with Bruce Willis (another tragic story).

I didn't know about the accident but that Sackler family have a lot to answer for. John Oliver has three videos on them:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I hope Gunther has a lovely warm cup of coffee for him in heaven. RIP 😢

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Not really a CA topic so gonna move to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭squonk

Surely AH would be a better location given the types of post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP Matthew, thanks for the laughs.

@DaCor or @Sephiroth_dude , Please update the title to correct the spelling of his name (2 ts in first name)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

His father was the actor in the Old Spice aftershave ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They both appeared together in an episode of Scrubs, an episode that Matthew Perry also directed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was so obvious this thread was going to attract some of these dumb posts. Every time a thread on Friends pops up on Boards there's always a few who fall over themselves to declare they didn't watch or enjoy the show. So sad that someone would do this even on a thread discussing the premature death of one of the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm sad to see this, he was the standout in Friends, a genuinely talented comedic actor.

RIP Matthew.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Never married, no kids, never found love, a tortured soul

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Didn’t like Friends at first but constant repeats gradually made it click for me. Chandler was my favourite and Matthew Perry resembled a friend of mine in appearance. Gone well before his time. RIP.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is sad news. 😢

Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing was easily the best character on Friends and was the lynchpin of the show. I don't think Friends would have been the huge success it was without him.

I knew he'd struggled with drink and drugs in the past and was in rehab a few times, but not the sheer extent of his struggles. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I know just how hard it can be to get off the booze.

Typical of Boards, however, this thread has already turned into a bitter snipefest of tit-for-tat attacks between the usual suspects who just cannot say anything good about anything or anyone. Grow the f*ck up!

RIP Chandler

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It’s sad news and just a bit of an icon of the 90s and early 00s gone. Seems he had it all in terms of money, but that isn’t everything.

Friends just caught a bit of a wave of 90s stuff. It’s just a buds comedy, very non controversial, generally very nice and upbeat but I never really rated it - it’s just one of those sitcoms you can watch as background - nothing wrong with it and it’s popular but it is what it is, a bit of nice escapism - chewing gum tv basically, which has its niche and purpose.

Of the cast he was one who stuck me as having some acting ability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pringle queen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Very sad news, Friends will always be the best sitcom ever for me and Chandler was definitely the best character. He didn't look good in the Friends reunion but he was currently on a really good run of been sober, RIP Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Both Perry and Schwimmer were by far the two best comic actors on Friends (they were head and shoulders above the other four) - with Perry having the more likable character of those two. He and Aniston was best placed in terms of his skillset to have had a good post Friends career, something which his addiction issues prevented.

Having read some extracts from Perry's book, to me at least he had an addictive personality being drawn to heavy alcohol abuse at a relatively young age. The first time he took vicodin he described it as shaking hands with God. If that's how you describe painkillers then it's only going one way.

It's a real shame that his problems prevented him from moving on as a typecast sitcom actor that he played very well into being an all around great comic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Very, very sad to hear. The fella obviously had issues but was a massive talent in one of the most successful tv shows of all time.

I find it a bit strange that none of the other 5 have paid tribute yet. No doubt they will as there doesn’t seem to be any issues between them but thought they’d have all put statements out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Sad to hear. Growing up in the 90's, Friends was a fixture of Monday nights on tv. Many of us were still in 3 channel land.

Saw a bit about Perry last year when his book came out and watched a few of his stage and tv interviews. He came across as very sharp and a natural comic. Of all the Friends cast, he was certainly the closest to his character. You get the impression, the other 5 wouldn't string a sentence together were it not for the writers, while Perry seemed like he could ad lib Chandler without an issue.

He spoke at length in those interviews about his drug and alcohol addictions and it was insane. I remember thinking it's a miracle he's alive at all, with the quantity of stuff he's put into his system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It sounds trite to say it but in this instance I legitimately think it's true. I imagine they are all almost like family and unlike other celeb deaths where people take the time to word poetic eulogies on Twitter and little else, in this case the rest of the cast are shocked and all just reaching out to each other and the extended production team.

Advertisement