Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Israel has been annexing parts of Palestine for decades... and as already nited have taking more land in the weeks preceding Oct 7 than they had collectively done in the 4 preceding decades.

Nothing to see here though....

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Read up on it - check some of the UK press. Some charming individuals in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Israel was attacked in 1948 and 1967.Had she been defeated there is no doubt she would have been effaced territorialy.

Should she have given back strategic territories and meekly waited for the next waves of attack?

Which Arab countries even accept her existing (or previous ) borders?(genuinely asked as there can be information overload on this subject)

Is she still technically at war with any of them? (all nations have the right to self defence or is Israel not a "nation"?)

Careful now. Any more pointing out hypocrisy or double standards and you will be told this thread is about Gaza and Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Believe me when I say you don't want a multi-polar world, because the other prospective "pole" - ie. China, Russia, India, Iran, is a nest of vipers which cares nothing for freedom or humanity or justice. It is an axis of despotism.

We only have a choice between a world in which that Russia/China/Iran axis, largely backed by India, rules, or a world where the post World War II western order is the pre-eminent power. Those are the two choices. It's **** but it is what it is.

The post World War II western order, ie. the US, Europe, Australia, Japan, South Korea etc., is clearly the preferable one. But it depends on being moral. It depends on being seen to uphold justice. If it doesn't do that, it collapses. Post World War II decolonisation had to happen because justice demanded it. But too many times, the post World War II western order has only focussed on interests, not justice. It has got involved in insane wars of aggression, coups. Israel/Palestine is the festering sore where interests threaten to undermine the west's moral authority once and for all.

What Israel has done and is doing is a moral outrage. That what Hamas did on October 7th was a moral outrage doesn't change the fact that Israel has committed moral outrages for decades and is doing so again. Israel/Palestine can not be solved by blunt Israeli force. It can not be solved by occupation. It can not be solved when the west so refuses to act as honest broker.

This double standard - the enabling of this moral outrage which will inflame the world by its injustice - is what will destroy the west and usher us into an era where the vile despots of Russia, China, Iran and elsewhere cosplay as human rights defenders and "anti-imperialists" while in reality being the most imperialist bastards on the planet, and their agents in the west will rise too, and large sections of western populations will buy their bullshlt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This was pretty much how things panned out during the Troubles. Margaret Thatcher in the early 1980s thought she could somehow 'solve' the conflict by defeating the IRA militarily - when this type of security / military approach was guaranteed to end in abject failure.

For the conflict to end ultimately, it will involve a huge amount of compromise and concessions on all sides. Bombing the hell out of Gaza and killing thousands of civilians will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So by and large a pro-Palestine/anti-war/ceasefire march. When a media outlet describes that as an anti-Israel march based on some individuals in it, then you know where their bias lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's really all they to fall back on. Huge pro-Palestinian marches, going against the Sunak government and right wing press narrative.....therefore the only explanation must be that the marchers are anti-Semitic, pro-terrorism, pro-Hamas etc.

Protesting in demand of a ceasefire is just. The vast majority of people protesting this weekend are good people. But as I've said before, the pro-Palestine movement has never properly dealt with support for Hamas and genuine anti-Semitism within its ranks. The notion that pro-Palestine protest should be banned or suppressed - and this is an increasingly prevalent view among supporters of Israel - is totalitarian. But yet I also see how pro-Palestine protest is deeply intimidating to Jews outside of Israel, because of that refusal to deal with the minority with appalling views.

But the pro-Israel side does not deal with the appalling reality of the genocidal rhetoric and actions by Israel. It does not deal with fundamental injustice.

Neither "side" has dealt with or wants to deal with the vile ideologies or actions which come from their "side". There seems to be a universal rejection of universal humanity.

Things like this really worry me, they worry me about where humans are heading as a species. All this man wanted was to acknowledge a universal humanity. That you can be revolted by Israel's destruction of Gaza and its people and revolted by the massacres by Hamas. For that he was roundly abused. While online he's being branded by supporters of Israel as a "useful idiot" for terrorism.

Deeply depressing all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

Agree with this.

I don’t understand how Western leaders don’t see it like this. After 9/11 people backed any action the US deemed necessary. Its different now, the west is completely divided from within. I even find myself half hoping Iran get involved to try and stop the madness in Gaza but I know it’ll make everything so much worse.

What Hamas have done was sick and barbaric and they need to be brought to justice and eradicated. That doesn’t mean we commit more atrocities in trying to do so. The images since the 7th Oct have kept me awake a night, I could only imagine what it’s like living through it.

We need peace, war just brings more war and Israel will never be at peace if they continue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

We need peace, war just brings more war and Israel will never be at peace if they continue like this.

As much as I agree with what you say. Israel is unfortunately in territory where none of us would wanted to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Can't have peace sorry, it is not allowed. Can't even call for a ceasefire or condemn both sides for it's atrocities so peace has no chance. No one can even step in or they will get bombed to bit's by the US. It has to go till the end and we can all watch it on TV until that gets banned as well as social media.

The next thing we will see is Israel putting into law that no talks on peace is allowed.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

They’ve gone way over the top with their retaliation. Hamas need to be eradicated but does anyone really believe even if they wipe Gaza off the map, that it’ll be the end of Hamas?

Israel haven’t helped themselevs with their continued efforts to force Palestinians out of the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

framing it as a retaliation does not describe it, the mission is to end hamas by military means

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Israeli tanks and other armour entered Gaza at As siafa and are currently operating 5km inside Gaza using the coast for cover likely heading to Al shati camp

No it isn't. Israel chooses to be in this situation. There is not an existential threat to Israel, Israel is armed to the teeth. Israel has suffered a massacre somewhat like the US did on 9/11. Further massacres can be prevented by proper security measures, and the rationale for further massacres can be dampened by good faith political engagement with a view towards resolving fundamental injustices.

The US's reaction to 9/11 was a disaster. It would have been far better off doing nothing. Rage and revenge against an ideology is not a strategy. It's a recipe for a much greater disaster. It's a game of whack a mole that can never end.

Beyond the people of Gaza and Palestine who are obviously the primary sufferers of Israel's mindless reaction of rage and revenge, it will be Europe and the US who feel the geopolitical brunt of this folly. And any chance of freeing the hostages, is, very sadly, almost certainly gone because of it.

The US and Israel both believe that US and Israeli lives are worth far more than Palestinian lives. The US and Israel expect/ed the world to believe that loss of US and Israeli lives in terrorist attacks necessitated the loss of many more Arab lives in retaliation. The US and Israel believe that when Arab lives are obliterated, it shouldn't mean anything because "Oh well, those Arabs are used to it. They know no better. But we aren't used to our people losing their lives. It's different for us." Arab lives are worth about the same as used toilet paper as far as the US, Europe and Israel are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has no world leader the guts to ask Netanyahu why he funded Hamas in the first place and why he didn't act on the information he received from Egypt informing him of the Hamas plan to attack Israel? Why are these questions not being asked?

Did you see what some of them were chanting and holding up? Not all of course but don’t dismiss some of the unsavoury elements so quickly.

Also no ‘Hamas Out’ or ‘Release Hostages Now’ or ‘Stop Hamas Violence’. I would love to be proven wrong on this. Why not?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They’ve gone way over the top with their retaliation.

I've said that before, basically none of us understand the mindset of people on both sides there. So we are judging it from the outside, from the completely different angle and experiences we were grown with.

In the west, among politicians and media, it's fear. The "electric fence". You simply don't go near these topics for fear of the backlash. Sayeeda Warsi on Question Time on Thursday night was the only person of prominence I have seen bring it up. It's really only Israel's Haaretz who are prepared to challenge Netanyahu on it.

Netanyahu should be gone and he should be gone weeks ago. He is an integral part of the problem. But the whole of the Israeli right wing are also an integral part of the problem, and they will never go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Using my post for this.. doesn't help anyone..

I suppose if Hamas are pushed out of Gaza and exist elsewhere like the hierarchy do that will be a success for Israel. That is the harsh reality.

Advertisement