Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

You do wonder if people like this were cursed when they found success in showbiz

might have been a lot better had he been a regular nine to five guy , the millions allowed him over indulge in prescription drugs following his injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I used that word because I knew the response to it would confirm my point. The posters who baulk at it being used in relation to someone wealthy and famous likely have no issue with it being used for the poor person lying in that wet sleeping bag. They will have compassion for the former but not for the latter. The latter has far less options or hope than the former too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭airy fairy

You don't have to have millions to be addicted. An addict of anything will source his/her hit regardless of wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it did if it had any humour at all it was all so fake and forced.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I suppose the question would be what an 18 year old would choose if you gave them the choice of living fast and dying young or having an average life and living into your 80's. Maybe even a 25 year old or 30 year old.

You'd probably find a split in the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

Boards should just rebrand as 'X' at this stage.

So many threads with people barking and bickering with each other.....

#tedious

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am not the only one in here who did not like or rate it so why are you picking on me?

It's sad about Mathew Perry. He had a mostly good life do and with the money he had could have done anything even could have ran to be President of the USA if he wanted but unfortunately he never will now.

Was worth at least 80 million dollars.

I hope it was just a heart failure that killed him and not some drugs overdose because if it was that then its even sadder and a waste of a life.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

Friends was a show of it's time really. The humour hasn't aged well; some of the mean-spirited selfishness of the Seinfeld era still lingered in the writing and the one-note superficiality of the characters can grate with modern audiences.

However Perry's performance always seemed to be a cut above the rest. His screen presence and comic timing and writing contributions made his character the heart of the show. **** all that Ross and Rachel bullshit.

That his abilities shone through his addictions is a testiment to the man.

Rip Man

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The one where a really funny guy with addiction issues died way too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Lots of regular people get hooked on opioids but as their tolerance grows, they move onto heroin as it's much cheaper (Listen to podcast "Hooked"). Then you're dancing with the devil as tolerance grows further and heroin is cut so can easily OD.

So maybe Matthew Perry's money saved him.

There might also be a connection between fame and addiction. People who seek fame might be more susceptible to addiction. People who are famous might turn to drugs also to deal with problems etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say it's more likely that the years of drug abuse when he was on them just took such a toll on his system that it shortened his lifespan. A lot of former drug addicts die relatively early even long after they've given up drugs.

The reports say he was playing pickleball (seems to be some sort of short tennis) for about 2 hours earlier in the day. Might have just been that extra strain that pushed his heart over the edge. It can happen to anyone, but especially if his systems were already weakened through his years of drugs.

Either way, a sad loss. I think regardless of anyone's opinions of Friends, it was hugely successful and he was many people's favourite. So many of the best bits came from him. He was also pretty successful outside of that. It was great to see in recent years that he'd gotten clean and was trying to be open and honest about his experiences in order to try help other people.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Read your first post in this thread. Hardly a normal reaction to a popular actor's death. Who mentioned the presidency or his wealth besides you? You started with a pointless post, so stop digging.

That’s different than calling it “ dry humour “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

You were using it incorrectly then, as junkie is used to describe a person actively addicted to drugs - as well as being a perjorative term.

As for people having qualms about using this term for celebrities, Lindsey Lohan, Amy Winehouse, Lisa Robin Kelly (That 70s Show) spring to mind immediately. There are no such sensitivites there.

In any event, nobody gets lauded for their addiction. Even the most die hard "drugs are cool" edgelord will lose their patience with an addict who simply cannot control their intake. I do not know your opinion, but my heart goes out to the addict on the street. But addiction is very hard to treat and there is little if anything that I can do to help. At least Matthew made a serious difference with his work to help addicts.

So if it comes out that the deceased died with drugs in his system, you won't make allowances for his being "addicted"? You seem to be implying that you know he isn't "actively addicted".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I only watched The Whole Nine Yards recently. A very fun film. He plays surprisingly well with Bruce Willis (another tragic story).

I didn't know about the accident but that Sackler family have a lot to answer for. John Oliver has three videos on them:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I hope Gunther has a lovely warm cup of coffee for him in heaven. RIP 😢

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Not really a CA topic so gonna move to tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

Surely AH would be a better location given the types of post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP Matthew, thanks for the laughs.

@DaCor or @Sephiroth_dude , Please update the title to correct the spelling of his name (2 ts in first name)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

His father was the actor in the Old Spice aftershave ads too.

They both appeared together in an episode of Scrubs, an episode that Matthew Perry also directed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was so obvious this thread was going to attract some of these dumb posts. Every time a thread on Friends pops up on Boards there's always a few who fall over themselves to declare they didn't watch or enjoy the show. So sad that someone would do this even on a thread discussing the premature death of one of the cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,624 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm sad to see this, he was the standout in Friends, a genuinely talented comedic actor.

RIP Matthew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,555 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Never married, no kids, never found love, a tortured soul

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Didn’t like Friends at first but constant repeats gradually made it click for me. Chandler was my favourite and Matthew Perry resembled a friend of mine in appearance. Gone well before his time. RIP.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is sad news. 😢

Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing was easily the best character on Friends and was the lynchpin of the show. I don't think Friends would have been the huge success it was without him.

I knew he'd struggled with drink and drugs in the past and was in rehab a few times, but not the sheer extent of his struggles. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I know just how hard it can be to get off the booze.

Typical of Boards, however, this thread has already turned into a bitter snipefest of tit-for-tat attacks between the usual suspects who just cannot say anything good about anything or anyone. Grow the f*ck up!

RIP Chandler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• It’s sad news and just a bit of an icon of the 90s and early 00s gone. Seems he had it all in terms of money, but that isn’t everything.

Friends just caught a bit of a wave of 90s stuff. It’s just a buds comedy, very non controversial, generally very nice and upbeat but I never really rated it - it’s just one of those sitcoms you can watch as background - nothing wrong with it and it’s popular but it is what it is, a bit of nice escapism - chewing gum tv basically, which has its niche and purpose.

Of the cast he was one who stuck me as having some acting ability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pringle queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Very sad news, Friends will always be the best sitcom ever for me and Chandler was definitely the best character. He didn't look good in the Friends reunion but he was currently on a really good run of been sober, RIP Matthew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Both Perry and Schwimmer were by far the two best comic actors on Friends (they were head and shoulders above the other four) - with Perry having the more likable character of those two. He and Aniston was best placed in terms of his skillset to have had a good post Friends career, something which his addiction issues prevented.

Having read some extracts from Perry's book, to me at least he had an addictive personality being drawn to heavy alcohol abuse at a relatively young age. The first time he took vicodin he described it as shaking hands with God. If that's how you describe painkillers then it's only going one way.

It's a real shame that his problems prevented him from moving on as a typecast sitcom actor that he played very well into being an all around great comic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Very, very sad to hear. The fella obviously had issues but was a massive talent in one of the most successful tv shows of all time.

I find it a bit strange that none of the other 5 have paid tribute yet. No doubt they will as there doesn’t seem to be any issues between them but thought they’d have all put statements out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Sad to hear. Growing up in the 90's, Friends was a fixture of Monday nights on tv. Many of us were still in 3 channel land.

Saw a bit about Perry last year when his book came out and watched a few of his stage and tv interviews. He came across as very sharp and a natural comic. Of all the Friends cast, he was certainly the closest to his character. You get the impression, the other 5 wouldn't string a sentence together were it not for the writers, while Perry seemed like he could ad lib Chandler without an issue.

He spoke at length in those interviews about his drug and alcohol addictions and it was insane. I remember thinking it's a miracle he's alive at all, with the quantity of stuff he's put into his system.

• Advertisement

It sounds trite to say it but in this instance I legitimately think it's true. I imagine they are all almost like family and unlike other celeb deaths where people take the time to word poetic eulogies on Twitter and little else, in this case the rest of the cast are shocked and all just reaching out to each other and the extended production team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Theyre all very talented people. Aniston has had a good career and Courtney Cox had a career even before Friends. Schwimmer, for my money, is an amazing comic actor and seems to have many strings to his bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

Schwimmer was the one early on who convinced the rest of the cast to negotiate their contracts as a group rather than individually. It meant when the show became successful they had huge bargaining power and it's a big reason why they got such huge wages.

I hated his character, but Schwimmer definitely seems to have his head screwed on right.

Chandler was far and away my favourite character though. They all started out as decent characters, but over the seasons they all became such wacky and exaggerated versions of themselves and mostly became super dumb and annoying (Joey and Phoebe in particular, as bad as they were in early seasons they were absolute morons by the end). Chandler was probably the most consistent throughout. Perry had him nailed right from the start and there was little change needed to him over time.

That's fair. I didn't mean they weren't good actors in their own right, I just meant Perry was basically playing himself or some version of himself. He was a very witty, sharp and funny guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They were always very united as a cast.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they are co-ordinating so they can pay tribute to Matthew together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Technically he could. He was born in the US and had US citizenship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Probably still processing the news themselves, it's not even been 24 hours yet. I personally find it tacky when people rush to social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Here he is taking on Peter Hitchens for his opinions on addiction and talking about his own experience with it on BBC 10 years ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement