Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Geeeet in banger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Watkins makes up for his chance in the first half and makes me feel like I can relax again. Great ball from McGinn too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Aye this is the last of the tougher games which hopefully allows for a bit more focus in Europe. Would be good to rotate a few over the next weeks to rest.

Bailey makes it 4 and honestly it seems like it's going to be kind of comfortable in the end especially when you remember their goal was a wicked deflection.

2pts off Man City, who are apparently the only team to have picked up more points than us in 2023.

2nd highest goals for in the league this season as things stand and Luton up next after a trip to AZ for European football.

Hard not to be pleased with how things are going

1 year in charge for Emery.

The man deserves all the credit he gets. Marked with back to back wins against Europa league sides West Ham & Brighton. Those are exactly the kinds of games you need to be winning if you want to be playing in Europe again next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can Deano do punditry on every Villa game please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Gas hearing Watkins still call him the gaffer.

Just seems like a man that is impossible not to like. Emery was clearly a few steps forward from him, but he’ll be a Villa legend forever

• Advertisement

Aye I dont think many could have a bad thing to say about him. His heart was always in it and even if he wasn't good enough to make the push Emery has made he got villa into a much more stable position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Was nice to see us being given more time than usual on MOTD, including Ollie being interviewed. We really are in very good form and hoping it can continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes, really the way things have gone aside from getting us promoted Dean Smith keeping us up looks like a defining moment in our recent history.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think anyone would have a bad word to say about Smith, I personally think he got us a far as he could, it was time for us to move on and he wasn't the man to bring us to that next level. It's just a pity that they got the next appointment so so wrong but it has worked out for the best in the end.

Going with a quite rotated lineup for what is in theory the hardest game we’ll play in the groups, is a bit mad after we already lost in Warsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes Konsa out and Lenglet in, some game time for Carlos and Tielemans also starting needs to perform as does Bailey.

• Advertisement

We haven’t seen much from the squad players when brought in so far. I don’t think our toughest game of the 6 was the game to do it, especially with Luton at home on Sunday. Tonight is comfortably the more difficult fixture.

Nice to get the early goal. We can let them push and we can pick our time to counter.

Tielemans looks hungry!

Is Tielemans up front?!

Looks like him and bailey are behind watkins.

• Advertisement

Superb so far. AZ are a solid team. They have pure capability to play the ball and counter fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

super John mcginn

Flying it!!! Playing with such positivity. Beautiful

Great stuff. Lets make the subs. Get Dougie, Ollie, etc off.

Tielemans and Bailey putting in performances resembling why we signed them is a massive plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Langlet also looked good tonight. Great to have options now. I’d be inclined to reward Tielemans and Bailey with a league start after that performance. Maybe give Kamara and Zaniolo a rest. Be interesting to see what Emery does.

Wouldn’t you have to play the same midfield behind him to get the same from Tielemans?

Team is unchanged from the West Ham game. Bailey and Tielemans on the bench. To be honest I'm not surprised when i think about it. Luton are likely to just park the bus, and I think that type of game would suit Zaniolo more than Bailey. Tielemans was never going to start ahead of Diaby/McGinn/Luiz/Kamara.

zaniolo is a poor player, terrible touch early doors and misses the target there, prob score a hat trick now, am I missing something? I dont rate him at all

Another one of those tricky free kicks and McGinn with the early goal. Should win this one

• Advertisement

I think the thing that makes him extra frustrating is that he does get into very good positions, it's his decision making once in those positions that lets him down. He has shown great ability in the past but mostly for Villa has flattered to deceive and I think him knowing he can do great things leads to him backing himself / being somewhat selfish and time and time again so far whilst at Villa he has messed up those opportunities.

I've just realised that Castore make both Wolves' and Villas kits and the third kit for both is almost identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Totally agree, he is basically just another version of Bailey.

Brainless footballer, who is a bit too slow for the PL also.

Hope we dont buy him and find an upgrade in Jan and let him return to Gala.

If we can find a good replacement for him, this team will hard to stop..

Well Zaniolo is off at half time... dunno if you guys will be happy to see bailey on though. Hopefully the competition will push him to be better

Very nice team (Diaby) goal 2-0 now and against Luton and at home this really should be another 3 points

3-0 Game over

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Job done. Looked fairly comfortable throughout.

Joint top scorers in the league with Newcastle.

Clean sheet Gods do not want to let it happen.

• Advertisement

Who would have thought that after our opening day 5-1 defeat to them we would now be sitting 5 points clear of them (and Brighton after their draw today) after 10 games played.

Nothing Martinez could have done about this or last weeks deflections, harsh it being an OG against him but still very much so consolation goals.

Luton were the perfect team after the midweek game. No such European excursion this week so hopefully everyone is fresh and ready for Forest next week

Closer on points to the top of the table than we are to the team below. Make of that what you will.

Sad news in that club legend and record appearance holder Charlie Aiken has died at the age of 81.

Was almost like a training match. Never really had to push towards anything and ended up with a tonne of passing around the back with Luton not really pressing at all. Wasn’t a game for the football purists but 3 goals and 3 points is always welcome.

Feels weird knowing that a win here (in a very winnable game) and we finish the weekend in the top 4.

C'mon Villa! Hopefully after having no mid-week game the lads are full of energy / fully rested and ready to get this one done.

Greek debutant in goals for Forest, hopefully we really test him

Guess nobody gave forest the script… ugh, gonna be a long one

• Advertisement

that all comes from zaniolo losing the ball, he's a poor player, doesn't follow Aina for the goal either. maybe I'm been a bit harsh, good test to see what the side are made of now.

Haven’t shown up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Villa getting the absolute runaround here. High line will get caught sooner or later

The possession , the stats (amount of corners etc), the ability of our players and the form going into this... if they hadn't scored I'd be positive going into the second 45m thinking it'd come eventually

Unfortunately that goal means Forest seem happy enough to sit back let us have the ball and hope to hit us on the counter, in particular with a ball in behind/over the top.

Definitely need to be more productive with the ball in the second half.

Sucker punch to concede so early.

Again Forest will be happy to sit back now and Villa will find it much harder without gaps to exploit. Getting anything from this game will be an achievement now

• Advertisement
Advertisement