Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Once it's dry for Halloween thats the main thing, it was miserable last year in the rain.

God almighty will they ever get rid of those clocks changing a nightmare with kids all out of sync for next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 06z runs from both Icon and gfs nudge Wed system further South barely clipping the South Coast. If this trend continues it becomes a French problem and even South Coast escapes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We should just move and stay in CET and be done with it, same time as rest of the EU continent. Doesn't really make sense for Ireland, UK and Portugal to be one hour behind the rest of the Europe. This isn't a huge landmass like North America or Australia requiring multiple timezones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Agreed. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but the time change going to Spain actually affects my sleep over there.

Much handier to be on the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cavan, Connacht, Longford, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy or prolonged showers

Impacts:

Localised flooding

Difficult driving conditions

Poor visibility

Valid: 10:54 Sunday 29/10/2023 to 21:00 Sunday 29/10/2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not sure where in Cork you are but where I am a lot of the trees are still largely in leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So we have our 3rd storm of the season named by the Met Office

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

thought the weather was supposed to better today in Dublin, Continuous shower stream

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Sitting under another slow moving deluge here in meath. There's no sign of settling down either with storm ciaran on the way. France and southern Britain getting the worst of the winds but still easterly gales and heavy rain not good news for us with the South and southeast in particular again bearing the brunt. This year is the wettest I can remember and still two wet months to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Far north west missing most of the rain from this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No rain worth talking about in Galway this past two days, was expecting biblical downpours, last week extremely wet overall but not since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

But countries like France, Germany, Holland, Austria etc would all likely stop changing the clocks too meaning we'd still be an hour behind.

I don't think many people care that there's a different time zone in a foreign country. That's normal.

The issue is what works for us here in Ireland.

I'd prefer to be on summer time all year round - or failing that - have a much shorter winter time period. Would love to see the clocks go forward again at the start of March as opposed to the end of the month for example.

But it's very unlikely the Government will do something which leads to separate time zones on the island of Ireland.

So the latest ECM 06Z has just come out. Little change, just off the South Coast Wednesday night. Its a South Coast event for now with Easterly gales and very heavy rain. For now the greatest threat is further heavy rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Lovely autumn skies and colours in south Mayo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Really sick of this weather. Looks like another wet halloween. Crap autumn colours on the trees etc. Halloween/ autumn has been cancelled this yr in my head.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a washout Christmas aswell. The joys of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Same thoughts as you. Hopefully a dry spell for the trick r treaters on Tuesday. A rainy Halloween seems to be getting more common these days 👎

As for Christmas Day, we are pretty much guaranteed wet and mild muck every year. Expect the same this year. Hope to God I am wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Advisory for Ireland

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, there will be heavy showers or longer spells of rain at times over Ireland with flooding likely in places, as soils are saturated and river levels are high. 

Later Wednesday and on Thursday, Storm Ciaran will bring falls of heavy rain and strong winds. Current indications suggest the heaviest rain and strongest winds will be in Munster and Leinster with flooding likely.

Additional Impacts: 

Poor visibility, 

Difficult/dangerous driving conditions

Valid: 14:40 Sunday 29/10/2023 to 23:30 Thursday 02/11/2023

Issued: 14:41 Sunday 29/10/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The last 2 days have been lovely autumn days in Galway. The garden badly needed a tidy up. It's feels Halloweeny now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see even carlow weather doesn't like this account and I agree with him ,hypes weather up , obvious this was a few hours before the storm got named

Is there a storm thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

For the first time I remember in a while, can't walk the beach by my house in west cork. Insanely high tides and still rising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Probably just need a rain/flooding thread permanently open.

There probably will be soon come Tuesday we'll know more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭pureza

Seems implausible now but there was a 'will it ever rain again' thread here in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Rhododendron flowering at my longford home. Highly unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ecm deeper than ukmo or gfs at same timeframe!!

• Advertisement

Widespread flooding in Cork City this evening!! Seems worse than last nights high tide and more than the council had anticipated. Follow on corksafetyalerts

Advertisement