Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Daily pv production.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Recent releases removed the auto polling. I have an older account with 50 API calls and use the following automation. Tweak as appropriate for 10 API call accounts.

alias: "SolarPV: Update Solcast Forecasts"
    description: ""
    trigger:
      - platform: time_pattern
        minutes: /30
      - platform: homeassistant
        event: start
        id: homeassistant_start
    condition:
      - condition: or
        conditions:
          - condition: sun
            before: sunset
            after: sunrise
          - condition: template
            value_template: >-
              {{ (not int(now().strftime("%H"))%2) and (int(now().strftime("%M")) ==
              0) }}
            alias: Run every two hours during night time
          - condition: trigger
            id:
              - homeassistant_start
    action:
      - service: solcast_solar.update_forecasts
        data: {}
    mode: single

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

I have the newer Solcast account with a maximum of 10 polls per day. I use the automation wizard thusly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Nice one, I noticed that too but too lazy to action it 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Did you reboot HA after adding the integration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Adding the automation to update once a day did the trick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've got mine updating multiple times a day (as I have an automation based on forecast remaing I'd like to be up to date, and also sometimes the solcast server disappears at that exact moment for maintenance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭buzz11

Can anyone with Shelly EM help me out with the setup, how should the two channels be configured?

So theres two channels, one for overall power usage and second for solar generation, here's screen shots of both for the same period but it doesn't look right...

USAGE

Solar Generation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What doesn't look right about it? It's per day summaries, which threw me looking at them first. You're exporting and drawing in less grid on bright days, and not sure if you've got large draws that might throw it off like car charging/heat pump

Anyone know if the P1 port is enabled on any smart meters? https://www.zuidwijk.com/product/slimmelezer-plus/

I want to say I have read on these forums it is not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's not. (Well it's not currently powered)

Need to give it some battery power but I'd say it's not enabled yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

With the shelly EM can you set up an automation based on export ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well, yes and no.

You could probably use Shelly's scripting to kick off an automation on the EM directly, but it looks like hassle to me.

You can do it easier if you have your Shelly's integrated into Home Assistant and then by using a community script such as this:

Hi folks,

Had anyone details on how to set a myenergi Eddi to 'stopped' and then back to 'on' with home assistant?

I can only see boost and smart boost in the service options for the integration

Thanks

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Not an exact answer to your question but I use this automation to stop and then change to Eco+

alias: Set Zappi to Eco+ when EV Charge "Completed" to "Paused" (via Stopped)
    description: ""
    trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id:
          - sensor.myenergi_zappi_status
        to: Paused
    condition:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sensor.myenergi_zappi_plug_status
        state: Waiting for EV
    action:
      - device_id: 7xxxxxxxxx
        domain: select
        entity_id: select.myenergi_zappi_charge_mode
        type: select_option
        option: Stopped
      - delay:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 5
          seconds: 0
          milliseconds: 0
      - device_id: 7xxxxxxxxxx
        domain: select
        entity_id: select.myenergi_zappi_charge_mode
        type: select_option
        option: Eco+
    mode: single

Thank you, was able do it using the Eddi device, can set to state stopped at 5am and normal at 155. Ran the automations and they seem to do the trick

hi folks,

i'm back with one more - i'd like to discharge by battery to the grid for maybe 30 minutes at 1.30 if its above 30% value.. ive home assistant, giveenerygy and givetcp.. i can see the givtcp values but it doesnt seem to want to toggle on the dc discharge setting when i test the automation. Anyone done anything similar with givetcp? i can set a discharge schedule on the inverter but basically want to try and enable it/disable it based on battery soc

cheers,

mick

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

I noticed over the last few days that my house is always drawing a little from the grid when there is more than sufficient battery capacity and the overall house load doesn't necessitate pulling from the grid.

Any ideas?

Here are two examples from today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You need to make sure that the CT clamp on the main ESBN incommer is on before the solar PV feed in, that way the Shelly will record the correct export (as a negative value) see below from the last 24hrs. The green line is my main incommer and when exporting it goes negative. You just got to make sure that the CT clamp is facing the right direction as well, do this when you know the solar PV is not on and then you will be confidant that its set up correctly.

Also look into getting Home Assistant set up...you can a lot more with the data and its a nice hobby !! 😋

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 electricsoup

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask. I've recently had a PV system installed which uses Autarco parts (Autarco panels and inverter, Weco battery). It comes with an app that is pretty basic and just provides logging to dashboards with no way to interact with the system.

I get free electricity between 8am and 11pm with Electric Ireland. Is it possible to tell my system to charge the battery fully before the free period ends? If anyone could point me in the right direction of where to get started I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I dunno how to do it with Home Assistant, but the REST API should support this easy enough. I wish they'd publish this on their docs, but here's the list of useful ID's.

{"id":17,"name":"Enable AC Charge Upper % Limit","validation":"Value must be either true or false"},
    {"id":24,"name":"Enable Eco Mode","validation":"Value must be either true or false"},
    {"id":28,"name":"AC Charge 2 Start Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":29,"name":"AC Charge 2 End Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":41,"name":"DC Discharge 2 Start Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":42,"name":"DC Discharge 2 End Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":47,"name":"Inverter Max Output Active Power Percent","validation":"Value must be between 0 and 100"},
    {"id":53,"name":"DC Discharge 1 Start Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":54,"name":"DC Discharge 1 End Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":56,"name":"Enable DC Discharge","validation":"Value must be either true or false"},
    {"id":64,"name":"AC Charge 1 Start Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":65,"name":"AC Charge 1 End Time","validation":"Value format should be HH:mm. Use correct time range for hour and minutes"},
    {"id":66,"name":"AC Charge Enable","validation":"Value must be either true or false"},
    {"id":71,"name":"Battery Reserve % Limit","validation":"Value must be between 4 and 100"},
    {"id":72,"name":"Battery Charge Power","validation":"Value must be between 0 and 2600"},
    {"id":73,"name":"Battery Discharge Power","validation":"Value must be between 0 and 2600"},
    {"id":75,"name":"Battery Cutoff % Limit","validation":"Value must be between 4 and 100"},
    {"id":77,"name":"AC Charge Upper % Limit","validation":"Value must be between 0 and 100"},
    {"id":83,"name":"Restart Inverter","validation":"Value can only be 100"},
    {"id":258,"name":"Force Off Grid","validation":"Value must be either true or false"}]}

Then using powershell you can change things with the ID above. For example, my code below uses "71" so that's the SOC level to charge the battery to

# Set system variables
    $baseUri = "https://api.givenergy.cloud/v1/"
    $json_extration_folder = "C:\Tools\GivEnergy\Cloud_Extract\"
    $filename_Datetime = get-date -format "yyyyMMdd_HHmm"
    $Inverter_date = get-date -format "yyyy-MM-dd"

$Bearer_Token =
    "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

$loginUri = "https://api.givenergy.cloud/v1/inverter/SDxxxxx/settings/71/write"
    $headers = @{Authorization = "Bearer $Bearer_Token"}

$tokenRequestBody = @{
      'Content-Type' = "application/json"
      'Accept' = "application/json"
      'value' = '51'
    }

$lenght_token = $tokenRequestBody.Authorization.length

$output_filename = $json_extration_folder + "Write_Settings_Reserve"+ $filename_Datetime + ".json"
    $login_response = Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'POST' -Uri $loginUri -Body $tokenRequestBody -Outfile $output_filename -Headers $headers

and after all that, you can write code to do it, but the easiest solution is to probably just to use the "Reserve Value". Basically set the "Reserve to be 30%" and then schedule a discharge and it will discharge down to the "reserve level". So if your currently under the reserve level, it'll do nothing. No code needed.

I do want the battery to cover house load though below 30% I only want to dump say 2kwh to the grid if I've excess left. Minimal savings to be made so not a big issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

looking to add 20A wired in switch for immersion, into home assistant and run 1-2 hours on new energia plan at night as its cheaper than gas. will keep water at decent temp for general use and can top up with gas during day. The tuya still the one to go for? I like that it looks decent and could allow manual operation too with an automatic shut off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilon-Heater-Switch-Remote-Control/dp/B08VMX8ZTH

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think @graememk has one of those (or similar). I personally would go with a Shelly + contractor as I don't trust the load ratings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah working fine, not much difference than the one that was there before( one of them old on/off 15/30/45/60 min timers)

Immersions are usually 12-13 amps. Would have good confidence in them. Would be much more wary of smart plugs as the actual plug and socket is the weak link, not the relay itself.

[Side note: overheating granny chargers is usually the case of a poor socket not the actual plug]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, it's not going to be huge, still if you have 2Kwh to dump every night, and the difference between exporting @ ~20cents/Kwh and importing it then later at say 10Cents/Kwh, that's 2 Units x 10 cents x 30.4days = €6/month. Sure it's not going to fund a weekend in Vegas, but i'd rather have it in my back pocket with a little bit of automation than let it go to waste.

I'm in the process of messing about with this myself Mick. Last Weds I got my old D/N meter swapped out for a smart meter, so I'm no longer on the deemed export regieme. Most of my automation was around the deemed export logic, so I'm going to be looking at something similar myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

Why do they keep fiddling with Home Assistant? I updated the Core today and the Energy page now only shows today's data. No week, month or year.

Edit: The week, month, year option has been moved to a drop down menu in the calendar icon. A kid has decided to show off his coding skills. 🙄

If it isn’t broken; don’t break it :) Just disable updates / don’t update. I know it’s hard to resist; but it’s rare that there is actually a reason to upgrade; but it’s not uncommon for updates to break / change things.

• Advertisement

I agree, can't see why they couldn't still keep the week/month option alongside, are they running the dashboard on a watch and have no room left or wth?

Advertisement