Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

In the name of 2977 lives? No idea why you seem so obsessed by numbers. You keep posting the number of people supposedly killed in Gaza as published by Hamas. Ad nauseam.

When you add supposedly, it take away from the not having trouble accepting figures from Hamas.

To repeat what people have said before that Hamas were not elected with a majority in 2006, they were funded by Israel to balance Fatah. Hamas in turn killed off the opposition etc... Half of Gaza now, were too young to vote back in 2006, and less than half of the other half could have potentially voted for Hamas..... and you're a numbers guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@wolf359 - "When you add supposedly, it take away from the not having trouble accepting figures from Hamas"

Fair enough. I'll state now that I have no problem accepting figures from Hamas going forwards. And I really never thought they would be that far off actual figures (unlike some other posters here) as the truth would probably come out at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We're innocently standing by

Watching people lose their lives

It seems as if we have no voice

It's time for us to make a choice

Only god should decide

Who will live and who will die

There's nothing that can't be done

If we raise our voice as one

They've gotta hear it from me

They've gotta hear it from you

They've gotta hear it from us

We can't take it

We've already had enough

• Registered Users Posts: 82,380 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If it were 1:1 that would be an historical improvement. But Palestinians are killed in disproportion -- as it has been argued, this is a display of geopolitical 'respect?' the 'right to respond with overwhelming force'

I don't know why there is such hostility to posting numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,380 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is the clone of antisemitism. Islamaphobia, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

+1 ... Trump or whoever decided to withdraw from JCPOA made a very bad decision ... as if it were done to deliberately ruin relations between Iran and the West ... and to aid hardliners to defeat Iran's then moderate govt ... that is exactly what happened ... of course Netanyahu as well as the Saudis favoured this outcome and got it thanks to rookie pres Trump and his hardliner advisors no doubt in the pockets of Netanyahu ...

Americans do need to wake up and stop pursuing stupid policies obo wannabe dictators like Netanyahu and decadent monarchies like Saudi Arabia ... Iran was in a good place and going better places before this stupid decision was made ...

This current mess has a lot to do with leaving JCPOA and following Netanyahu no matter what ... Netanyahu is aligned to very far right parties which is ignored .... they are prob worse than Iran's current hardline Paydari regime if they got the chance ... I feel though all these hardliners .... Likud's pro-Netanyahu factions plus the other even further far right smaller parties in that current Netanyahu coalition ... the pro-Trump Republicans ... Paydari ... all feed off each other .... to the detriments of the moderates in all ...

If a change in govt in the US changes policy regarding agreements then there is no point in Iran or anyone else trusting them ... these agreements should stand and be legally binding with anyone trying to break them removed from office ... that would prevent some clown like Trump being pressurised by other clowns ... breaking these agreements also plays into the hands of Iran's hardliners who say I told you so to Iran's moderates ... and then Iran's women suffer and Iran's economic potential is not realised ... it is time that Trump and those who advised him ... who now prob blame it on Trump and distance themselves when it suits ... to face the consequences of their actions ... deals like JCPOA need to be written and stuck to no matter what freak is in the White House simple as ... Trump will go down as one of the very worst presidents that is for sure .... and Obama as one of the better ones .... Trump cannot come to terms with the fact that his presidency was a failure and that he was a weak and incompetent president ... he will tell you the opposite but it is just another example of his only talent: telling lies ...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I am going to preface this by saying Hamas are terrorists and should be eradicated. However, this whole mantra of they are in civilian buildings etc etc has been explained to you numerous times and twice quite eloquently by Weepie. Gaza is is tiny - for context Gaza has approx 2.1 million people; Gaza city itself has a population of over 40k people per square mile. New York has something like 30k per square mile. I would hazard a guess, maybe an educated guess that all buildings have civilians in there.

The ignorance of your second post really stands out for me. A UN report in 2022, the Israeli blockage had made 78% of the water in Gaza undrinkable, left 62% of Palestinians in need of food assistance, and power cuts roughly for 11/12 hours a day. Really sound those lads, they just keep on giving!

Seamus4life - 2 million members of Hamas in Gaza? Such an easily invalidated statement, like shooting fish in a barrel. For both of you I would really recommend putting more thought and research into your posts. Literally only discrediting yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

This statement went pretty much under the radar

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/middle-east/netanyahu-cites-amalek-theory-to-justify-gaza-killings/amp_articleshow/104802548.cms

Any mention of Amalek is an explicit call for genocide. How aren’t EU leaders calling this out. They’re at pains to tell us why new hate speech legislation is required to protect minorities yet here is a world leader openly calling for the genocide of an innocent civilian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is always a numbers game.

Just recently there was investigation in what you call "unprecedented attack magnitudes bigger" and results are not quite in line of what we are led to believe. It seems, according to the people who bothered with trying to find out what happened, that quite a lot of deaths which hapened during Hamas assault were caused by unproportional response of the IDF. They were unable to dislodge Hamas from places where they captured hostages which they planned to transfer to Gaza so decision was made to use tanks and helicopters. Result of that decission is painfully obvious and world seen destroyed houses and burned out civilians including children who were unfortunate to be in the houses as hostages along with Hamas operatives.

This was confirmed by several released hostages and people who were able to escape. Those were Israelis and their stories, also some interview with IDF personnel involved confirmed use of tanks and helicopters. These things do not usually make headlines, no wonder yet they are out there and can be verified.

Both sides of this conflict are wrong in what they did and still keep doing. Both sides are trying to portray itself as a victim and other one as evil when in fact both of them are in the wrong. This is no way of sorting out problems while ordinary people have to pay with their lives.

To add, every country which is funnelling weapons and money trying to keep this conflict going, the likes of Iran, Qatar, USA, and EU are equally evil and responsible for all the misery which is being caused there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

Miles off. The reason it was voted down and abstained against was down to Canada's petition which was voted on beforehand. This included text which condemned only Hamas and the one afterwards condemned all parties in the text. So in fact it was voted against due to condemning Israel for it's actions and we all know we can't do that can we.

The Pakistan ambassador so eloquently shot it down.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ukrainian point of view.

Russia, Iran + proxies Hesbollah, Syria and North Korea is an axis of evil trying to destabilise the whole world.

Hamas met Russian and Hesbollah leadership in recent days instead of, you know, doing something for Gazans. That's all one needs to know and what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

UAE seeks a binding resolution demanding that Israel accepts a humanitarian pause to the fighting in Gaza in the UN security council today.

Sounds reasonable

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pro Palestinian activists taking the fight to a group of blacks people in America. Who is next or an easier question might be who isn't, fascism unbound and unchallenged is creating its own violent dynamic in our societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A bit of Islam extremist terrorism, killing a few people either in the USA or in Europe or in Israel never really goes answered.

Never really goes answered?

Are you for real? If the US or Israel gets a sniff of someone in the middle east being involved in anything, or considering being involved in anything, that person becomes a target.

The last President in the US introduced a travel ban specifically motivated around what he thought was trouble emanating from Islamic countries.

The UK government and other high ranking political figures has been openly pointing fingers at people of Islamic backgrounds for at least ten years.

It's the epitome of western blinkered lenses to look at the affairs around acrimony between western countries and Islamic countries and to determine the evil deeds are allowed to be carried out bybone side.

Exactly. People don't understand the local context. Negotiation and making compromise aren't local strengths, culturally speaking.

In local Arabic culture you earn respect by winning. If you show weakness you won't get far. The whole area where Israel exists runs on a win-lose attitude, not on a win-win or making a compromise attitude (see Yemen, Lybia or Syria). That's why Israel was able to sign peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan only after showing strength, winning, getting respect and also trading territory (Sinai). If they didn't fight they wouldn't get anywhere and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm not sure this reflects like you think it does on the Pro-Palestinian activists. The "Black Hebrew Israelites" are a cult that spouts some antisemitic nonsense. A bit more about them: https://www.ajc.org/news/who-are-the-black-hebrew-israelites

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I am familiar with them, like the Mormons, they want to make it all about themselves and America, lunatics.

The fash fighting them will attack everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's the same reason the IRA saw large recruitment after bloody sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you're family was wiped out would you just live and let live or would you seek revenge against the people that did it?

What was the biggest recruitment coup for the IRA?

• Advertisement

Saudi commentator sees it clearly for what it is. As discussed here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Or they were not that smart to begin with. See the video of the IOF dragging a dead body by a vehicle and beating defenceless c8vilians. The most moral army in the world, mehole. No person with a trace of humanity could support their massacres and nazi tendancies, talking about gassing civilians now, they've come full circle to nazism

Very well articulated. I wouldn't be able to describe it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

More voices like this are needed. Both sides need reigned in and the wrongs made right insofar as is possible, eg, hostages returned.

Israel hit 600+ targets over the past few days in Gaza, reporting that "dozens" of Hamas militants had been killed overnight.

IDF spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari saying that action will "escalate" and troops in the northern border of Israel have been placed on high alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thanks unkel. You have a more balanced approach than most. There are many who don't think Israel should have any boundaries whatsoever. I think it's a bit rich that Israel ask people to evacuate south to "safety" when they know there will be no food or water or fuel wherever they go. Would people flee their homes for that?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yeah because you are not Palestinian or Israeli and it's a tweet 😂 Let's face it, none of us really understand what it's all about no matter how much we pretend. You have to live it. I have met many people abroad down the years who could never get their head around the NI Troubles. No matter how much I explained it, they couldn't really understand it.

I was thinking last night that the current generation of leaders in Israel and Palestine will never come to a peaceful agreement even when this episode of war ends. That's absolutely clear. There is zero trust and with good cause. So we have have to wait another 30+ years at least. The likelihood is more rinse and repeat for much longer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah a protest is what we should be concerned with, not innocent kids being blown apart by Israeli bombs.

Advertisement