Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are terrible driving habits on the rise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I’ve been driving for fifty years without ever being involved in a crash or accident of any sort so I don’t know if that makes me a lucky , good or poor driver. Of course that could all change tomorrow.

Must look back on my post and check where I suggested that “ only those who don’t give a sh#%e about driving should post.

My point if you’d care to read it is that everyone thinks that they are a “ great driver “ and it’s all those “ other people “ who are bad drivers.

Although we don’t want to admit it the standard of driving here is woeful by all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Ditto. A combination of all three, methinks!

Being attentive is half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

My original comment was made to call into question the habits of certain types of drivers on our roads, who's number appears to be on the increase.

If being able to identify bad driving by others makes me a good driver, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

We used to have good billboard campaigns here about road safety and tv ads as well and people did listen and seemed to work. Don’t see much of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Abiding by the rules of the road in this country would allow you (if you were to go by road markings) to overtake on unsafe bends or partially unsighted by brows and dips. You could also legally drive (in certain locations) at speeds that no sensible person would contemplate.

Conversely, the rules could prevent you from driving at perfectly sensible speeds on state-of-the-art roads and from overtaking (in certain locations) where it is perfectly safe to do so.

Everyday single day I see a half-wit on his phone at 60pmh on the M50. To me, that merits at least a year off the road.

Why do the Garda not have a facility for uploading dash-cam footage of dangerous driving? They are never going to police the roads with the necessary numbers.

You can have all the rules and laws you like but it all becomes a bit of a farce in the absence of enforcement.

Thanks for identifying and clarifying my point where we all consider ourselves to be “ good drivers “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Who said only those interested in driving 'should' post on a Motors Forum?

Tbf coming on here and slagging off posters who have the temerity to call out poor driving habbits is unlikely to get a universally positive response.

Is it your position that everybody on here is by default a poor driver or maybe its just the case that you think a few annonomous posters might be exaggerating their ability? In any case do you disagree that the examples of poor driving highlighted on this thread actually exist out there and it would be better for all road users if they were tackled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People speeding and being aggressive is really getting to me these days.

I was parked outside a shop today, on a main road in a quiet enough town. A car pulled onto the main road, doing a safe enough speed, and some pr1ck already on the road, driving at speed had the audacity to drive up behind this fella and start flashing his lights.

The speed limit is 30. There's speed bumps all over this place. Where the f"ck are you going that you think you're being delayed by some lad driving the limit?

Another bug bear is constantly people changing lanes in traffic. Alright, fair enough sometime you need to, but the majority of time there is very little benefit.

I often pick a few cars in different lanes when I'm in traffic and gauge who's going faster. It's very unusual to lose sight of a car, where it gets so far ahead by constantly changing lanes. Totally pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nowadays road safety is based on the likes of the RSA and AGS urging drivers not to break the law and at the same time giving school children hi-viz vests so they can be responsible for their own safety.

If there was an actual desire to improve road safety then we would see some actual enforcement out there.

In response to paragraph one I have no clue what you’re talking about.

In response to paragraph two I couldn’t care less about a universally positive response but I laugh when I hear one woeful driver complaining about the mistakes of another woeful driver

In response to your third paragraph based on my own on road experience the vast majority of US are brutal drivers and should not be allowed in a public space with anything more mechanically challenging than a wheelbarrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One thing I’ve noticed is that the obeying of traffic lights is gone really bad. Forget people chancing the amber, some people are just going through reds if they don’t spot the obvious danger.

as is…

leaving space between your car and the vehicle in front.

drivers being dozy/distracted at traffic lights when the they turn green and delaying moving off… 99% it’s probably people checking phones though ive seen drivers turn to look at and talk to back seat passengers and or admonish kids…clowns don’t realise that if you don’t look at people, on hearing you, they should understand….you don’t need to turn ffs….

I live near a road where turning left is prohibited into it from 08.00-19.00 I think is the times… i pass it several days a week and formally the traffic corps were VERY hot on having cars there from time to time, been years now….since I saw them there… and the sign is just ignored..

I think you know that not what I was doing.

I somehow doubt that someone who cares so little about following the rules of the road is going to have an opinion about whether or not they see themselves as a good driver.

I dont think my original point was that difficult to understand but if you're going to insist on being all deliberately "yeah, but......" about it, then I guess we're done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

From the Rules of the Road :- Hard Shoulder:- A single broken yellow line along the side of the road

This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists.If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly (but do not continue driving in the hard shoulder) as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby

So, what is wrong with pulling in briefly ? Rule book says it is OK. A wee bit of courtesy goes a long way and the grateful driver will usually thank you by giving a quick flash with their hazard lights.

Post edited by J_R on

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Summer2020

It’s at the stage now if you stop on an amber light you’re in the minority and nearly risk someone running into the back of you . I don’t know the reason for it but in Dublin anyway, I could say 90% of the time I’m at lights someone breaks the red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That goes for reds too. Nearly been rear ended a few times stopping at a red. Anything up to 5 or 10 seconds after a red is fair game these days.

Care to give us some indication as to your own driving abilities, or are you a brutal driver too?

Would you consider yourself a glass half empty type of chap?

You dont have to be an F1 std driver to call out poor driving practices, be they your own or those of others.

Probably describe myself as poor to bad just like the majority.

On the basis that I did my driving test fifty years ago and have not done any training courses or refreshers since then my driving could not be good .

However in those fifty years I have never been involved in a road traffic accident of any kind or accumulated any penalty points so I don’t know what category that puts me in .

Of course that could all change in a split second.

Don’t know what the “ glass half full “ is about .

My point is that everyone is prepared to complain and do what you refer to as “ call out “ poor driving practices of others while being totally blind to the deficiencies in their own abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

There are people that are just inherently bad drivers due to poor observational or spacial awareness skills. But then there are drivers that just don't give a damn about following the rules. Stand at a pedestrian crossing while waiting for the green man on any busy road and it wouldn't be unusual for one in three drivers passing to be looking down at their phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

See that a lot put away the phone! Gone bad since lockdown ended. Also, are indicators not being fitted to cars anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Pulled out of a spot in a local Lidl, and felt the beep of a lad. Hammering on it. He must not have seen me coming out.

Proceeded to flip me the bird. So I slowed down in front of him, still not main road. Put my hand up, what's your problem. He thought i was putting it up to him so followed me home..

Had a massive row with him. Window to window. Said it was 'his road,' and it was his right to keep driving. This is a public walkway too with a Centra, crèche, pharmacy etc. Kids running out all over the place. It is certainly not a road of sorts and it's certainly not his road.

The aggression was off the chart. Said I'd call the Gardai. But was shaking enough. He drove off, mouthing a few F bombs. Not from Ireland. Eastern Europe. I only mention that as he insisted that he knew the rules of the road in this country.

A lad will run a red light, full red and then absolutely lose it with you if you do anything other than say, off you go.

The aggro is OTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is this a wind up? You pulled out of a spot oblivious to the fact that you were pulling out in front of someone and you think they are at fault?

I think that answers the thread title question - "Are terrible driving habits on the rise?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Driving used to be fun. Now it has turned into a melee. Add in random speed checks on perfectly good roads with not a speed limit sign to be seen. Nevermind the random 60km - 30km - 80km over the space of a few kms. I had the misfortune on one of our motorways in the past few weeks of meeting a car camped in the overtaking lane. Would it move over? no. Was it doing 120? No. 60km in the overtaking lane. I moved over and as soon as I accelerated he/she floored it. Tried to turn it into a race. Came over a hill and there was a tractor pootling along at 30km. I just burst out laughing at the tractor. I would have been funny except said car in the overtaking lane could have rammed me into the back of the tractor if I'd been daft enough to respond to the stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just don't get worked up over bad driving these days because it just isn't worth it. Just let people go about their bad driving and worry about my own driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There is absolutely no law or consequences for breaking it on the roads. Just something relatively minor but very obvious like dodgy plates is rampant.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No idea why we're going to waste the next couple of years changing rural 80s to 60s.

It's pretty obvious to many of us that deaths are not being caused by those doing 70kph around the countryside.

It's the terrible driving that's the problem. Inept overtaking. Breaking red lights. Doing 120 down a country road with zero skill and awareness. Cars without an nct in 10 years. Phone use is off the charts.

So enforce the rules we have now.

Use cameras where needed (red lights, average speed, speed in built up areas, phone use) Put undercover cars out and about and pull the idiots.

HSA not worth a shite. Most of their gains were because we built a massive motorway network that massively improved our safety. Car design and NCAP at the same time. Their best idea now is hiviz vests and a few generic ad campaigns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually getting aggravated and aggressive when such minor mistake happen is a really bad habit. Especially when it happens in a carpark where you are supposed to move slowly and be careful for other drivers and pedestrians.

The poster or the driver they pulled out in front of ? I can understand why the other driver was so frustrated. The poster firstly pulling out in front of the other driver, then deliberately slowing down in front of them, then trying to argue that the other driver didn't have right of way over a car pulling out of a parking spot. Some people seem either so entitled or obliviously ignorant that they shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Assuming the post is 100% accurate (yes, I know) it's the other driver who is much more in the wrong by getting aggressive and taking it way too far by following the poster home. Over some supermarket carpark inconvenience, which is a place where you should expect these kind of inconveniences. Someone who can't control their anger is dangerous on the road, the poster might just be an annoyance. Think the OAP doing 60 on a 100 road vs. the driver who overtakes them in a blind bend.

• In my own recent experience when the lights turn green as often as not the car in front fails to move off as they are too busy looking at their phone.

On the other hand I see people slip through early red, mostly because they have been held up by the people failing to move on green, but there are also those who power through “late red”, an extreme example I witnessed not long ago.

I was turning right onto R826, from Upper Kilmacud Road opposite Airfield, the lights green in my favour. However I noticed a male cyclist in all his gear failing to proceed as his head was turned right and I knew something must be up and the way but clear and took my cue to wait and see. Next thing I heard an approaching roar of a car with a tuned-up engine, and it powered through the lights. Somebody on cocaine or whatever at the controls, feeling omnipowerful and indestructible. So glad I observed the cyclist’s reluctance to proceed as he clearly had caught early sight and sound of the rampaging car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Some of the driving i see these days is crazy, only the other day someone in a 07 BMW overtook me and squeezed himself between me and he lorry in front of me. Then a few seconds later pulled out again over a continuous white line approaching a corner and over took the lorry. Very dangerous driving.

After that happened i was thinking it would be great if more drivers had cameras on their dash and could capture some of these incidents. Maybe if there was a website to post these examples up on it could embarrass the drivers into changing their ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

We live in a first world country, its not to much to expect safer roads and better policed roads.

Do you think the driving described in this thread is fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The OP is absolutely correct about red light breaking being an absolute epidemic at least in Dublin. From my own observations I found it's gotten particularly bad from the times of the COVID lockdowns.

I put it down to a number of things:

1. Changes to routing through the city. The number of one ways, no through roads at key junctions make driving around the city arduous. The bus crossover light on the north quays is possibly the worst implementations of a traffic management measure in the country.

2. Changes to sequencing of lights. Green time has been reduced to give more priority to pedestrians and cyclists. Nowhere is this more obvious than the red light breaking hotspot that is the north quays.

3. The reduction in road space afforded to cars - this has increased congestion.

4. The increase in traffic volumes.

5. Overuse of signalised junctions.

All five of these make progress through Dublin city an absolute ordeal which is obviously increasing driver frustration resulting in increased red light breaking. When lights have been sequenced where only two cars can make it through a junction on green or where a right turn is impossible unless on red then it's a recipe for disaster. In Dublin at least this all comes down to the current traffic management policy and the City Council's effort to make driving as unpleasant as possible in the City.

I can't say I've noticed the red light breaking phenomenon in other urban areas but I don't drive as regularly in other cities.

Would be very interesting to get a quote from some of the bad drivers that the majority of the “ really good “ drivers on this discussion describe

You appear to be excusing dangerous driving by saying is the fault of lights or whatever. Only one factor makes people break a red light and that is the driver believing they will get away with it!

On the basis of the poster's own admission, they twice did something which could have caused a collision in a short space of time and appears to have no concept of who has right of way, where traffic legislation / rules of the road apply, the difference between a road and walkway and tops it all off with a final bit of casual racism.

I can't see how you can think the other driver is more in the wrong. The poster has displayed an alarming lack of observation and basic driving ability and is a hazard on the road.

Think more of the driver who pulls out onto a main road at 10kmh in first gear, in front on oncoming traffic, causing it to have to brake hard and wondering "what's their problem, didn't they see me pulling out of the side road?" and then tries to argue that they are in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

No. We are a peaceful.law abiding people mostly. Compliance with the law reduces when the laws themselves become unreasonable. A light sequence that only lasts long enough to let 2 cars through and then have to wait for 3 minutes for the next 2 to get through is going to be disobeyed because its unreasonable. Unreasonable traffic controls are becoming more prevalent so I expect more non compliance

• Advertisement

Ah ok, so people would continue driving through those reds if a garda was standing at the junction handing out fines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

With regard to the OP, I've been driving 40 years and no terrible driving habits are not on the rise. They were just the same and worse when I started out. Read the newspapers of the 1950s/60s - full of stories of horror car crashes.

The main difference now is the amount of regulation surrounding driving. Maybe this just makes it seem worse as there's lots more rules and limits to break.

So are you excusing the ridiculous response of the 'wronged driver' here? If the story is accurate then that guy is a thug and Id hate to see what he'd do if the op did something that really annoyed him

Whats your story? You need to let it go for the sale of your own quality of life

The poster was objectively wrong on multiple counts, in both their driving and their knowledge of the rules of the road and continued to double down on their ignorance trying to argue the other driver didn't have right of way over a car pulling out of a parking spot! Anyone driving like that in a driving test would certainly fail.

It's not clear how far, if at all, the other driver went out of their way before the verbal exchange through open car windows took place. Anyone who would consider it uncontrolled aggression or thuggery, has led a very sheltered life.

I'd have a few choice words for a driver who pulls out in front of traffic, has the entitled expectation that other drivers should accommodate their poor driving, then effectively brake checks the driver they pulled out in front of and appears to think the rules of the road don't apply and the car they pulled out in front of didn't have right of way.

The poster's lack of ability and their attitude and lack of self awareness is alarming but I suppose half of drivers are of less than average ability and we should all drive with that in mind.

As I said I dont know how accurate the story is but seriously what's the point in engaging with someone in that manner? Life would be exhausting if you felt you had to react in that manner to every little indiscretion on the road. Flash your lights ot give a blast of the horn if it makes you feel better and move on

• Advertisement

I dont see mention of speeding on this thread. Two of the 60km limit roads near me have the vast majority of people doing 90+. One of these passes a primary school. Zero Garda presence. Pedestrian crossings that many drivers just barrel through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's a very simplistic way of thinking about traffic management (and more broadly indeed human behaviour). People break red lights knowing that they will get away with it, but that's true of everyone - so actions and consequences are often a major factor, but not always. It is easy too, to blame the misbehaving driver but that doesn't solve the problem as it doesn't address the root cause, and that is frustration.

The frustration in Dublin at least has been caused by a relentless squeeze on the motorist by reducing their space and priority while at the same time maintaining or increasing the need to drive into the city. Cack handed approaches to traffic management (like the north quays bus crossover) in Dublin that are entirely ideology driven rather than being practical have gotten us in a situation where making steady progress through the city at almost any reasonable hour is impossible.

So like the pandemic, you could look and blame individual rule breakers but when a system requires broad compliance over an area that relies on cooperation rather than enforcement you really have to look at the system and environment that it is in. It needs to encourage compliance as a fundamental goal that ultimately also benefits you.

and it will be so much safer when the limit is reduced to 50kmh and the same drivers still barrell through at 90kmh+ By and large we don't need new, more restrictive speed limits, we need proper enforcement of the current limits but ink is far cheaper than manpower and our politicians must be seen to do something, no matter how ineffective and idiotic that something is. A fixed camera or average speed camera covering that stretch of road would soon solve the speeding problem there, far better than an unenforced lower speed limit.

Why don't we have cameras on traffic lights to stop people driving through red lights? Surely a money spinner for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

No. I would expect the garda to overrule the irrational light sequences and manage the traffic so that it flows and no one has to break a red in frustration at the idiocy of many light sequences in Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement