Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dev1234

Was a tough day out there today in places!! Weather was mixed but the support was unreal!!

I'm not sure if the pacers are still sourced through Boards but wanted to wish the three 4.20 pacers heading out to The Lebennon on peace keeping duties tomorrow a safe tour. Was called out before wave 3 got going, nice round of applause and it put in to perspective the whole day.

Well done to all who lined up today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

My mini race report is. It went well.

Did 4:47 which is basically the ballpark I aimed for. If the weather was better I wonder how things could have gone. Feel like the rain forced me to a more manageable pace and I avoided blowing up or hurting myself. Just banged out slow but steady 6:40 to 7 minute kms most of the race.

I am still a chunk off my pre covid time but still got some weight to lose first.

Anyway. I did much better then last year which was my goal. Just about everything that could go wrong went wrong for me in 22 and I feel I trained in the right areas to address those weaknesses.

Post edited by solidasarock on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭jlang

Looks like they went through the wave starts and resolved the extra time added where the runner started in a later wave than the tracker had been set up for. Mine at least - I was getting text congrats for sub 4 when I was wet and feeling a little underwhelmed with my actual 3:40 off a "comfortably on for 3:30 at 19 miles". Over it now and pleased enough with how the body's recovering after food and rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear you didn’t have a great day. You didn’t deserve that. Fair play to you for finishing.

I was tracking you and for ages you were down as not having started. It was very odd. Next thing you appeared and were through 10Km or 20km … can’t remember which now. I think that is why it has you down as starting at 8:45am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Absolutely buzzing about today. First marathon, first run longer than a half! Tipped around in 4:33. Had to walk in parts particularly up some of the hills in Clonskeagh. Did 2:01 for the 1st half, so maybe too fast but I was going for a bit of a time there.

The cheering around the whole course was amazing. I smiled the whole way around. The finish was brilliant. I felt I was in the Olympics.

Will try another one again! Well done to everyone who made it today, everyone inspired me! Legs in bits now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Well done to everyone today, a little envious from the sidelines, and then it would rain.

A few pics from the 17 mile mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Sad to read this, after all you put in to the Novices thread.

We go on so much about the importance of enjoying your first go at this thing, but it is tough. I do hope you can pick out and focus on what was awesome about the day.

The reason we go on about making sure you enjoy it is so you'll get hooked, because once you're hooked you improve, and much better days await you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Trampas

Was on the crumlin road cheering on and you can see the difference in how people are performing at that time. It really seems to the first part of hitting people’s confidence.

Some man going around in speedos yesterday. I guess he was worried about chafing so best not have that issue on his mind. Great jumps with the pacers around the 3:50 onwards.

Funny part was them posting information entering next year while people still on course.

In general the event is run well but issues around bags official and what’s in them and dragging people into the rds on a tight restricted time is areas they could improve on.

I presume somewhere which is more accessible for people would improve things and even a postal charge for number of €10 would help.

A new route be nice also as in general same route for 15+ years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

1st marathon yesterday…

was in wave 4 but loved to wave 3, they were checking bib colours but I managed to walk in whilst he was checking someone else, few people wanting to change wave definitely got rejected.

couldnt get over the level of support, there wasn’t one 1km that didn’t have people lined on the streets, absolutely amazing and in pretty miserable conditions.

was aiming for 4hrs myself, legs blew up at 21k and pace started dropping, finished in 4:11 so was happy enough.

on reflection, time means absolutely nothing, for anyone to go out there and run 42k is a huge achievement, I definitely have a new found respect for marathoners, a huge physical and mental battle for some.

really enjoyed the day, and that was down to the supporters, nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Saw a good few DBRC runners. Glad I spotted you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Didn't see you yesterday morning John like last year. I went with Wave 1 (had to be back to bring son to a party). Thought I was on for 3:30 but got around in 3:31.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Finisher T-Shirts look pretty similar to last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...pretty similar but slightly better quality I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Does anyone know where I could find how many people actually turned up to run the race? Hearing that only about 16,000 finished, with over 25,000 entries.

Well done to all of you who ran yesterday. I was cheering you on for about 2 hours at Kilmainham.

Great crowd and atmosphere there. You could see people really getting a lift from it.

Post edited by yosser hughes on

22,500 was the entry limit this year I believe. I guess due to transfer system. 25,000 was last year

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Well done to everybody who ran. No matter about time, you can call yourselves "marathon men and women".

As somebody said, some days the body just says no not today. I have been that soldier. Its a slog. Today is another day, take a good break and go back again at it!

Hope the bodies are sore but not too sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's hard to push on for another 600 or 700 metres when your watch goes over 42.2, I finished 42.9k, most I see on strava are 42.6k to 43.1k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Looking at the results page it says there was 25,586 entries. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Bit of a weird outcome for me yesterday. My 3rd Marathon and 2nd Dublin and my worst finishing time (by about 14 mins), so far. 4.24.

I felt like my training effort was the best so far in comparison to previous marathons, the metrics suggested that anyway.

Just one of those things. Enjoyed the day massively though and was happy with my perseverance to finish the race. The crowds along the route were fantastic as were all volunteers. Pints afterwards were great too.

I knew my aim of sub 4 hours was gone by Chapelizod. My pace was good to that point, and I felt comfortable, holding conversation, fresh, but my HR was elevated and I knew it wasn't sustainable so had to make the decision to pull back the pace at that point. Can't explain the elevated HR so early.

Knees and hips blew around Milltown and the following miles home were a bit brutal (on-off efforts). Managed to get an energy boost from the crowds in the last mile and actually sprinted the last half mile at a decent pace.

Great day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dev1234

16,344 finishers according to the tracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Oh and thanks to the random passers by who stopped for me and gave me a lift to town after they spotted me waiting at a bus stop, for a bus that wouldn't be coming (unbeknownst to me).

You'd think orgabisers, Dublin Bus and Irish rail would have some connective thinking on days like yesterday.

TDL events do the timing and results. They say that 16,322 finished, lets say a 10% dropout rate so probably a bit over 18,000 started.

Anybody know what the rules are for pacing of athletes competing in the National Marathon Championships. I heard of a case of a runner who was paced by a person who was not entered in the race and by another who was using a number not allocated to them. The paced runner has probably finished in the medals. I understand the arguement that they still had to run the time/distance but surely it has to be against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Can be disheartening alright. It's always a combination of GPS being off and losing cumulative yards around the course, wide corners, dodging people etc.

Not saying you are, but I've seen so many people complaining about marathons being long when it's never the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

New one got it's first outing on the dog walk this morning, how long till.....

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

A different colour would've been nice rather than purple for the second year running.

That’s the sponsors colour so I guess they get to decide what colour it is

No idea on rules but could same be said if they get a gel, drink, kick up the backside of someone standing on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Well folks I found it a poxy day to race the weather was brutal the last few Kms.

I didn’t feel great after the first 10km then got into my rhythm this was my 2nd DCM and and finished in 2:50:XX wasn’t the time I wanted but it wasn’t to be.

Onto the next one..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

You were looking great! Yeah we'd a very good day.

Advertisement