Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Van Dijk's been on top form most the season now, looks right back near his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

If Mac gets a 'tactical' yellow on Wednesday, would he be suspended for Sundays game against Luton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

No, the suspensions due to multiple yellow cards is for Premier League games only. Cup competitions have their own separate metric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah that should be the way, did they change this as I seem to remember players missing out on cup games due to suspension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

PL suspensions for red cards can be served in the league cup but PL suspensions for acculturated yellow cards cannot be served in the league cup iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

November Games

*Corrected Brentford date

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Literally the same thing everyone says whenever I say Spurs won't win the league. And yes I'm certain Spurs won't win the league. Feel free to quote me but you'll never post it back cos they won't win the league. Leicester won the league on about 11 points for crying out loud. The standard has come on leaps and bounds since then. 97 points doesn't guarantee you a league title these days. Spurs will be doing very well to get 4th in this league this year. They won't finish ahead of City, us or Arsenal. They will probably get 4th cos Utd and Chelsea are a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It'll be great when Spurs revert back to the Spurs we know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

Not sure why everyone is so exercised about Spurs being top of the league. I don’t remember anything close to that level of vitriol when Arsenal went several points clear last season.

If you read my entire comment, you will see that I made the same point that you’re making about Leicester winning the league with a much lower number of points than would usually be achieved by the champions. Although it was slightly higher than the 11 points you mention - 70 points higher, in fact.

And I don’t understand why so are so upset by the notion that Spurs might win the league. As I said in my post, they probably won’t. But you’d be a brave man to put your house on the line by giving higher than market odds against them on one of the betting exchanges. If you’re that certain, why not go ahead and make some easy money?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Probably because a lot of their fans have got a little carried away, not sure if you are a Spurs fan, I have read articles about the new CB who is ligthening fast being on the next Ballon d'or list and so on. A great start with some amazing late winners such as Sheff Utd at home. 4 of their next 6 league games are at home but mostly against teams that will finish in the top 10, if they get 14pts or more then people might rethink their changes but I think 4th will be as high as they will get. No Europe, already out of the Caraboa Cup, if they get knocked out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup then they will play 40 games this season which might be 20 less than Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal which is a huge advantage. Next season they will likely be in Europe so top 4/5 will be much harder for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good for them, they should enjoy it after a few truly miserable seasons - 6 decent months under Conte aside. Very hard to see beyond a top 4 challenge in reality, given the lower quality of most of the teams they've faced, and that they'll be losing a few key players for international tournaments - it's just difficult to make any sort of a credible case that they actually have a chance of keeping up this form against better teams over the full 38 games. But that shouldn't be something to knock the feel good factor - getting into the top four would be a big success of a season for them, and they do look well capable of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

My Dad is a Spurs fan having grown up near White Hart Lane. He's had some awful luck the past year or so and isn't getting any younger. Would be happy for Spurs to win it if it couldn't be us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any word on Luis D's dad yet? I can't imagine what he and his family are going through. Whatever about our hopes on the pitch, I really hope there's a happy outcome for Luis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I believe they've taken his dad over the boarder to Venezuela. Hopefully Diaz has some sort of kidnapping insurance and can pay the ransom so he can get his father back safely.

I felt that the post to which I responded demonstrated a level of spite that I haven’t seen in comments about other teams. But I guess it’s a question of perspective, so each to their own.

Yeah, vitriol is a strong word. I'd say it's more like general dismissiveness.

tbh I think it's better for Liverpool to fly under the radar, and for Spurs expectations to be beefed up. Could well turn out like last year, when Arsenal got boosted up to the high heavens, and then called failures afterwards, despite having what was in reality a brilliant season. The football media are insane, and are only really interested in the most short term of perspectives, to the detriment of any actual objectivity.

Not sure how true this is, or reliability, but it says that the kidnappers have been identified. Bit hard to read as the translations are not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I don't mind spurs being top right now, they're there because of the game they played against Liverpool, that bit is bullship. That is as much as i can tolerate anyone other than Liverpool being top.

I'd be more upset if city, utd, Newcastle, Chelsea or arsenal were top.

As a slight aside to that - we're only 10 games in, but it's nice to see only 4 points between first and fifth. I think we all know a bunch of those will fall off even just over the next 10 games, but at least there's some semblance of a competitive league for the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

After all the talk of SA trying to get the best players to raise their profile for a World Cup bid, they're now the only country bidding for 2034

That may well mean no more crazy offers in for Mo, which would be nice

Yeah I think a more competitive league is better for Liverpool's chances of winning the league too. Let the likes of Arsenal/City/Spurs take points off each other, to counter our own slip ups.

I want to caveat this point by saying I do like Alexis MacAllister. I know he's being played out of position, but he can play in that 6 role in the games at home against the likes of Forest. His involvement in the first game on Sunday just show exactly what he can do. But I don't think he is a league winning 6 in a 97 point type league campaign. That's where you need your Rodris and peak Fabinhos. Having the league more competitive and a team winning it on 85-88 points type season might just help Liverpool here as I think we could accumulate that type of points total with the current set up and things stay as they are currently.

Liverpool are currently on 2.3 points per game, which is 87.4 points over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It will mean there will be more crazy offers unless they go down the PSG route with Newcastle and go all in with Newcastle to raise the profile more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trent Kone Doherty has signed his first professional contract with the club. I wonder will he get in the squad tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was hoping they might think the main work is done is that respect, but I do see your point

Either way, I don't see Mo going, I'd just rather the noise went away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I can definitely see Mo extending his contract. There is no way I can see him wanting to go to that mickey mouse league in Saudi when he still has a couple of years left at the top. Can't see Real or Barca coming in for him,he won't go to Newcastle so that realistically only leaves PSG. Likewise I couldn't see him wanting to go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are there any details of the contracts for the newest arrivals? Are they old school bonus requirements to meet full salary offer ? I remember when Salah got his contract without any bonus requirements, it appeared to destabilise the squad in my opinion. I feared we would end up with a bunch of mercenaries on the next round of renewals. On current form, Salah is worth every cent.

Thiago's only played 96 minutes since February - all sub appearances spread across 4 games in April.

I wonder did something happen behind the scenes, and that is why he is not playing? Or is it a genuine long term injury? He has tended to have multiple smaller injuries rather than fewer big long terms injuries during his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No I see him seeing out his contract and moving on. The club wouldn't throw big money at a 33 year old then either. Who knows though you have to wait and see where we are at in 2025.

The way Pep Lindjers spoke about him today I'd say it's 100% an injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him on next season but on a hugely reduced contract that's maybe bumped up with appearance fees.

Thiago will be wanted in SA would he not? Big money for being injured, couldn't fault that.

Apparently he turned down a few offers from Saudi this summer.

I think he is an asset to have, when fit, but he is nowhere near justifying the wages now. I wonder would he accept the lower wages for one last big season?

The SA money has added an extra dimension now to players at the latter stage of their career. They can get one big pay deal to cover 2 years of reduced wages at a top league.

The big thing, for Liverpool, is that this year Thiago's injury is being masked by the form of MacAllister, Gravenberch, Szobozlai & to a lesser degree Jones. He is not needed as desperately as previous years.

Eddie Howe using his presser to talk up Saudi Arabia hosting the World Cup.

Still no sportswashing to be found sure they did an investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He's taking up a valuable overseas slot in the squad. If he isn't contributing he needs to be dumped. It's not the same as trying to keep a homegrown role model like Jimmy Milner who put in a shift on and off the pitch. I'd cut him in the morning if it meant getting a quality young overseas player for any of the back 4 or holding mid positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It would be insanity offering him another contract, he's rarely available to play, even before this season he was unavailable for 40% of all matches since he joined, that's probably heading towards 50% now as he hasn't played at all this season yet. Let him go when his contract is up and sign someone who is more likely to be available to play on a more consistent basis; we have seen the benefit of getting rid of Henderson, Fabinho etc this summer and replacing with Mac Allister, Sobo etc has rejuvenated the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,500 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Or they win the league by 2 points, 2 points they should not have, no other game where both teams score twice this season will end up with one team getting 3 pts, and one team getting no points.

It would be funny if Spurs beat City to the title by two, what would happen then, City want a full investigation , into those in middle east wining and dining the refs hours before the Spurs Liverpool game, that would be funny.

I don't think he will get a game but there is quietly a shortage of wingers to play in this game.

We don't really want Jota, Nunez or Salah starting 3 games in a week, especially when one is the League Cup.

Ben Doak's fitness is unknown.

It's possible that Jones or Elliott might have to play as wingers. Maybe Scanlon at LW? He seems pacey.

I reckon he will sign a 1 year contract anyway

Think Ben Doak trained with the squad yesterday but can't see him starting tomorrow

Training with the squad is good though. He will be needed while Diaz can't play, especially in the cup games / off the bench to give players rest.

Jota & Nunez are not really 90 mins players.

The very best Spurs can hope for is top 4, but I don't see that happening anyway.

Just waiting for them to wake up and remember who they really are.

• Advertisement

We have moved on from Thiago, he was a luxury signing who we knew the upside and downside of. We have real energy and creativity in there now, I can't see where he gets a game if he was fit again.

He can win us one more league and go off into the sunset as probably our greatest player.

I hope to see Thiago play for us again, he's an absolute joy to watch, but I don't think we should keep him beyond this season.

Unfortunately there’s a bigger picture at play over there… it’s all in service of Saudi’s “Vision2030”, a total rebuild of the countries image and investment portfolio, so I don’t see anything slowing down until at least then - I think it’s actually all going to ramp way up over the next few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement