Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭slegs

Thats as poor a United team as I have ever seen. They arent even top 10 material. There is no pattern or quality in their play. Why you would play with three identical players in midfield in Eriksen, Fernandes and Mount is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just saw Palhinas elbow on Gross...another clanger for PGMOL to apologise for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chelsea are a mess, but atleast you can see somewhat what they're trying to do, invest heavily in promising youth with a view to the future. Now, that could massively fail and it's not looking so far. United is just scatter gun madness at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ten Hag asked is this one of his most disappointing days. 

"No... the execution of the gameplan was very good."

"Of course it's disappointing to lose the derby."

If the gameplay was to let City have all the ball and let them feed off scraps, then the first part worked perfectly.

But that penalty decision, Oliver again? He has to be taken off City games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

KO, you're mistaking me for someone who is complementing ETH, far from it.

Im just chewing popcorn and enjoying watching the continuing carnage. He's part of the problem sure, but it's some expensive mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don't disagree although it's a massive risk what they're doing. To my knowledge, I've never seen a club do what they're doing at that scale. If he sinks the club having spent that money or continue to not challenge in any competition, the fans will obviously take their displeasure out on Todd Boehly. The buck stops with him and his team ultimately.

My point was earlier in the thread, posters were saying United fans will be along to give out about the Glazers and they're not to blame for how the club performs on the field or can't be blamed for 'not backing the manager., etc. In reality, they oversee the manager, the signings, the culture, the facilities, etc. ETH is very much to blame how the team is performing right now but if his team is performing exactly like his predecessors, then maybe there is a problem above the manager and the club as a whole.

United have spent tonnes of money but would rival fans honestly want those players at their clubs at the transfer fees? I am guessing no but usually we're told to stop 'whinging' about the owners. As you said, it's scatter gun madness and I fully agree. As Neville rightly pointed out, United don't even have a sporting director. No other serious big club doesn't, that's not on ETH obviously so he's left to his own devices which IMO is dangerous. Plenty other instances like that all lead to massive failure to on field performances yet we're told it's all down to the manager. It's not as black and white as that obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United won't reach the top with Rashford and Bruno Fernandes. They're good players but they can only play on the counter attack, which just doesn't lend itself to winning league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why does ETH not take them off? He starts them every single week no matter how poorly they play. That must be head wrecking for other players trying to break into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I just read in the Utd thread your post about ETH,don't know how to post it here but I think that is a very fair and honest assessment of ETH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The coach is an absolute fraud, he won't get any real criticism though it'll all be blamed on the glazers. No one really expects them to compete with city on the day but they are his players he has spent big and they are absolutely awful, devoid of any style of play.

At least Onana looks like he is getting it together. When Casemiro, Varane, Shaw and, to a lesser extent, Martinez are back, Utd will be stronger. But nowhere near City. Or Liverpool. They still rely on counter attacking football. That’s not what the best teams in the league do. Ten Haag had a very good first season but he’s had a bad window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Exactly. There’s hardly a word about the Glazers when things are going well on th pitch, but a few losses and the green and gold scarves are out.

They’ve backed managers in the transfer market and spent more than pretty much any other club in the last few seasons but the managers keep buying flops.

I mean, the first part is just false. There have been chants in the stadium for years wanting the Glazers out. There were protests against them when they took ownership in 2005 and even in 2010 when the club were going through a very successful spell - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/8671176.stm

Backing managers imo is not the same as giving them a blank cheque to do whatever they want with it. It's reckless. Pep said yesterday "I have said many times we go in the same direction, the chairman, the manager, the CEO.." United don't have a vision and new owners will continue to spend money that the club have generated themselves. Remember the Glazers have not spent a penny of their own money but leveraged it with millions and millions of debt where if everything goes wrong, the club could go bust.

Can you answer these Q's for me. Why don't United have a sporting director yet every big club do? Why are they overspending on flops? How many of these flops would you have signed for your club and who do you support? Do you think spending loads and loads of money equals success? Is Antony good value at £80million? Do you think the Glazers are good owners and would you like them at the club you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

If they didn't spent £80m on Anthony they'd be accused of not backing the manager and not caring about United success. The Glazers are in a lose lose situation.

If they didn't spend 80 million no one would know, a proper functioning transfer department would have moved on and signed someone else, that's what happens at well run clubs, they would have paid for themselves 100 times over at united, Anothy an unknown young player before he joined is on 200k a week that's insane, and means if he really is a flop he can't be moved till his contract is up, so they will take a full loss on that transfer.

Some Liverpool fans love to go on about there net spend, united can't sell players because they over pay for them in the transfer market and over pay the players themselves, which is another huge leak in the club money wise and again completely amateur by the owners to let happen.

United really are one of the worst run big clubs and the buck stops with the owners and who they have let run the club that's simple.

Tbh I hope you are just being willfully ignorant because it's been explained very simply on thread now a few times and posters still can't seem to grasp it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

The manager obviously rated Anthony and really wanted him having managed him before. If Glazers said no and told him to move on to another target the narrative would be about how ETH isn't getting the chance to work with the players he really wants to work with and isn't being given the chance to succeed.

I mean the same people knocking the Glazers are also saying ETH shouldn't be sacked. He's the one who wanted to spunk £80m on Anthony.

No is saying the Glazers have been perfect. They managers they have hired haven't been good enough and that is on the Glazers. But also, the managers they desired did have pedigree or at least a history with United.

They could’ve had Antony for £40/50 million 3 months prior to buying him but didn’t and delayed it. Then when it was coming to the end of the transfer window, Ajax had them over a barrel and sold him at an inflated price.

Yeah they ‘backed him’ but by being negligent and having non footballing people at the club, they wasted time where that extra £30/40 mil could’ve been spend elsewhere. Because they then panicked, not a lot of due diligence would’ve been done to see if he actually has potential or a right fit for the club. In hindsight, we see that was a wrong move and he’s quite a petulant player and a one trick pony. Would you have him at your club? Just because the owners decide to spend huge amounts of money on a player, doesn’t mean they can just wash their hands with it and say we’ve done our job.

Ive mentioned previously that it’s dangerous to give a manager so much transfer power. Without a proper sporting director or infrastructure in place, a club ends up with a mish mash of players that don’t suit the next manager and become overvalued assets. Klopp wanting Julian Brandt but being vetoed and getting Salah is the perfect example. If Klopp had his way, Liverpool never would’ve had arguably one of their best ever players.

That is just one example with Antony, there are countless other examples. Sancho another high profile.

It shouldn't be the glazers or the managers making decisions that's what you are missing. If they are.

Also you have no idea if the manager had any say in what anothy was signed for (price wise)I doubt he did tbh so that's just baseless nonsense. He isn't making the transfer deals that's what Arnold supposedly does.

What people?

If it something you read over on Twitter maybe reply to it over there and don't be dragging it over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of course the manager has say on what price is paid for players, even at a basic level of the manager knowing there is a budget and not wanting the club to blow it all on one player.

Only cheat clubs with unlimited budgets don't care about the price, everywhere else the manager knows the opportunity cost. £100m on Antony means less for other positions and the manager has the right to make that point.

Ten Hag knew Antony, he knew what price was being agreed. He can't wash his hands of the whole thing and pretend he is nothing but a passenger at the club.

• Advertisement

Knowing and deciding are different things

But again the point being which you missed it's not him making that decision.

And again if ten hag is somehow negotiating players prices If that's what you are saying (I wouldn't think so myself) then that's a huge systematic problem at the club. And on the owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At what point are serious questions going to be asked of Michael Oliver? Another controversial call by him yesterday while involved in a Man City game. Maybe it's coincidence but after he went off on that paid trip to the UAE, that link is always going to be there.

He is publicly a Newcastle fan, and a result of this, he is banned from officiating Newcastle games. For years, he was also banned from doing the games of Newcastle relegation rivals. Just to counter the claims of bias. When does he get banned from doing the games of Newcastle top 4 rivals? Arsenal and Man Utd could fall into this category and have had ball calls given against them this year by Oliver.

I never said Ten Hag was negotiating.

I'm saying that when Arnold comes into my office and says "we have agreed terms for your lad Antony, £85m + addons, £200k a week", my response is probably "Thats a bit steep, how much does that leave me for the 10 other players we need?".

There is no sporting director at the club, the vast majority of signings have been players associated with Ten Hag before, I have to believe that he is actually heavily involved in the transfer decisions.

Glad you can tell us exactly how the conversation goes. And that ten hagg has final say on all transfers and the amounts spent.

See that's a huge problem no other manager would get to sign off on that.

Absolutely shocking but glad.you got.that Insider info out

Christ, now you can't even say that Ten Hag is involved with transfers without somebody throwing a hissy fit.

You can say it all you want buckey but when you enter the conversation misrepresenting what I said and missing the point don't expect me to be civil with you it's what you always do. You can enter conversations.in better ways.

But the over arching point I was making was that the glazers have no systems in place are are rotten owners you back up.

Has ten hagg a say in transfers of course how much no one actually knows, so yes there is blame for him but people seem to want to land 100% at his door which of course in nonsense like you imaginary conversation showed.

A conversation doesnt have to be black or white we can have grey's but again it's either 100% with you or zero.

It's boring at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

The tinfoil hat is cutting off the circulation to your brain.

Bullshit, I literally said the words:

I have to believe that he is actually heavily involved in the transfer decisions.

I even called it "my" office and "my" response when I posited about Arnold reporting a deal was agreed, and I'd say its pretty clear I don't actually have an office at Carrington.

What is 100% about that? How can I be any clearer that it was my own opinion?

Misrepresentation? To misrepresent I would have to present your opinion in the first place, and I didn't, I presented mine. So jog on.

See this is your problem buckey I was already in a conversation when you replied about ten hagg. And I was talking about weather he is making the decisions.

You enter with of course he has a say and is aware of the transfers.

I never said he didn't. But you are misrepresenting what I'm talking about to go off on a rant you want to go on about.

Even now you are trying to misrepresent how the conversation went.

You are an absolute bore of the highest order who just wants to be see to be doing the most whinging.

And you tie yourself up in knots like now when you get proven wrong, you don't need to be so sensationalist you don't need to pick out one word or line and twist it to have your rants.

Rant away, leave me out of it, if you want to actually have a conversation quote me, if you just want have a cry about things you imagined were said don't quite me so I can just ignore your nonsensical shite

• Advertisement

See you are just a child I've spelled everything out for you, proven that you did misrepresent what I said. And all you have left is a sarky comment well done such a high value poster.

Now off you pop and don't bother quoting me for the imaginary conversations you like having

You have been firing off insult after insult, I'm not sure what response you expected.

You called me a bore of the highest order who spoke nonsensical shite, now I'm just a child.

Seriously, cop on.

Ah sweet summer child if you think me calling you boring is an insult then you have lived a quite life.

If you want to have a conversation by all means quote me if not as I said don't bother.

I think we can leave it there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If only the team showed as much fight as the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You need to go back to school and learn how to spell. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

All this discussion about Antony but whats mind boggling for me is that he has been a regular in Brazil side for last few years (with this years troubles excluded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

So has Richarlison.. maybe Brazil just ain’t the Brazil we grew up with anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They also seem to make bizarre selection choices, Antony and Richarlison getting picked before players like Martinelli, Jesus & Rodygo.

A regular would be accurate, but worth pointing out that he is only a sub most of the time, he averages 35mins per game across his 16 caps.

His goals and assists record is as expected though, a whole lot of zeros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Looking here at his Brazilian appearances and I think I'm right in saying that his only starts for Brazil have been the final 2 games of WC Qualification (when they were already assured qualification and top spot), and then the final group stage game of the WC itself (when they were already assured qualification and top spot).

Outside the main 3/4 attackers, Brazil are stuck for players in attack at the moment from what I can see especially with Neymar out for the foreseeable future now.

That act of petulance from Antony on Sunday, well it was not surprising. You'd think he would try and keep that stuff out of the public eye considering the allegations against him as it doesn't exactly give an image of a cool, calm & collected lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gary Neville has another excuse to use besides the leaking roof for Utd's performances on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Makes it all the more baffling that Martinelli, who managed 15G 5A in a title competing team fails to get game time. A lot of behind the doors politics when it comes to the Seleção...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It ain't. what is it over 20 years since the last world cup?

I know it’s the EFL Cup, but Ten Hag must be feeling it now. This joke semi takeover will put an end to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

It is a toxic atmosphere but he isn’t without blame. Antony, Martinez, Malacia, Mount, Casemiro….He has to go. How can any manager stand over that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I almost feel bad for Utd fans. Almost 🤣

Some injuries in important positions to be fair, and any team that has to play Maguire and Evans at CB will struggle. They are playing some pretty shocking suff though. They look completely lost, tactically all over the place. The players either can't or won't play for him. Rashford has been absolute shite since he got his contract. Bruno isn't captain material for any team, and both Anthony and Martial seem a complete waste of space.

Have they downed tools, or are they just not good enough?

Martial isn’t Ten Hag’s fault. But Antony? How can you sign a player like that having worried with him previously? He didn’t just develop that attitude overnight.

There are obviously mitigating factors, Shaw, Varane out injured. But the rest of those players are throwing him under the bus too and he seems unable to halt the slide. Big match away at Fulham now. Lose it and he’s going to be under serious risk of losing his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Varane has looked awful when he has played this season too and couldn't even come in from the bench last weekend against City so I don't think he's going to solve a whole lot.

In saying that, I can't see them getting rid of ETH. How many times did we say the writing was on the wall for Ole only for him to survive unti the next crisis. ETH has spent nearly €450m, mostly on players he wanted to bring in himself and he's not even half way through his 2nd season. It would make no sense to at least see can he get the team back on track considering that size of investment in the squad. What if a new manager comes in now and doesn't fancy any of those players brought in under ETH??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

United just seem to be a mess behind the scenes. They’ve needed a rebuild for a while but their inability to move players on really hinders that. It’s crazy to me that players like Martial and Maguire are still there.

Getting players in doesn’t seem to follow any real strategy either. What was the thinking behind getting Mount? They have a player that plays in that position and knew they were under FFP restrictions and surely the priority would be a proven goalscorer. Seems like they went for Mount because they could get him, rather than actually needing him.

Culturally too, it seems off. Very little motivation for players to perform, once things start to go bad they just get worse until a new manager comes in and gets a short term bump - but then it settles back into the same routine. No players showing any leadership during games knowing full well the manager will be the one to take the hit.

Was at a Liverpool talk a year or so ago and Raphael Honigstein was there who had recently worked with Rangnick, and when asked about it simply said “however bad you can imagine it, it’s worse”.

Dont see the point in getting rid of ETH, whoever comes in will have the exact same issues as he’s having, that Ole and Mourinho had previously had. Until there’s wholesale operational and cultural changes this will be the norm for them.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement