Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Marks n Sparks fillet with some herbed butter. This was the last bit.

Also made some pommes boulangere which was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Pork sausages with caramelised onion gravy and colcannon. Devoured it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quick rice and veg in the rice cooker with a crispy fried egg and some chilli peanuty oil. Very lazy because I couldn't be arsed cooking much tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can’t find the restaurant thread so this is good enough.

We’re in Enniskillen for the weekend and went to 28 At The Hollow last night.

Run by husband and wife team, the chef, Glen Wheeler is a protégé of Nevan Maguire apparently.

The restaurant is at the back of a popular old pub in the town. We had drinks in the bar then walked down a corridor into a cellar/cavern that they’d converted into a restaurant. It looked too perfect and sure enough, the stonework was all plastic. Place was full though.

Mrs G! and I both chose the Seafood Ravioli and Cod for starters/main. Both were superbly cooked with bags of flavour. A tad too much salt maybe.

In between we were given an amuse buche (sp?) that was a sweet/sour/savoury mousse in a small glass. Perfect palate cleanser.

Desert was cheese for me, the salted caramel custard tart for Mrs G! The tart was really good.

I was on An Cáca so it was Mocktails to drink. The Espresso Martini was meh, but I had the Bramble to follow and it was amazing. Highlight of the evening.

Overall, despite the plastic, I gave it 9/10 for the food/Bramble.

Then I went to the toilet, which they shared with the pub. Puddles on the floor and the usual country pub toilet mess would have knocked two marks off the score if I had gone before marking.

• Advertisement

You’ll have to go there yourself to see it! 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Pork Belly Ribs.......6 hour schmoke.

Post edited by Planet X on

Starter I did for a meal in my mother's. Roasted spiced cauliflower, beets, kale, feta, yogurt, various nuts and edamame. Few garnishes. Really worked well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Wow, after all that gorgeous looking food, it’s a bog standard cottage pie here for us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

@Planet X oh my god where did you get those belly ribs? Me want. Big time.

Did 3 racks on the smoker recently but hardly any meat on them unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Local butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

4 homemade beef burgers & cheese

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Defrosted the other half of my full packer brisket. This is just a cut of it, that I reheated to 75 degrees internal using the oven, foil, and a bit of a bath of mother sauce.

Rustled up a quick Kansas style sauce for through the rest of the week.

Kansas style sauce is the regional variant closest to what most people probably think 'BBQ sauce' is. It's a crowd pleaser... A little bit of cayenne and smoked paprika heat, a bit of sweetness from molasses, some tomato band garlic for body, and then a good whack of acidity from apple cider vinegar. The little nodules floating around are mustard seeds, in case anyone's wondering... I should have ground them first, regretted it afterwards, but taste-wise not much effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Got a longing for ribs after this piece of mastery so went to the local butcher today and purchased a full rack of pork belly with ribs and skin on €34 😳 NOW I don't have a smoker or bbq to use just home oven or air fryer. Any recipe or suggestions would be welcomed 👍 would like crispy skinned ribs for the rugby Saturday night or the hangover Sunday night 😁🍻

€34 is a lot. I’d carefully cut the skin off and make crackling out of it.

The rest I’d cover in a bbq dry rub (loads of recipes on line). Then stick the slab of ribs into a Turkey roasting bag and seal it. Put into a 140c oven for a couple of hours.

After the slow cook, turn oven up to 200c, remove ribs from bag and coat the meat side in a bbq sauce using a pastry brush. (Loads of recipes online or buy sauce in shops)

Place on a roasting tray into the hot oven. After 15 minutes remove ribs and give them another coat of bbq sauce. Put back in oven for another 15 minutes.

Enjoy with coleslaw and baked potatoes or fries.

(Cover the roasting tray in tin foil, it’s going to have sauce burnt onto it).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just a chicken and spinach curry with sides.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

It is 8.5lb weight 👍Cheers Gloomtastic

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You've basically bought what is usually sold as 2 different cuts, the pork belly and the spare ribs. Just in your case, the ribs haven't been separated from the belly. The result is just going to be massive ribs.

I've cooked this cut before a few times, but the end result has always been something closer to a pork roast than ribs you'd sit and eat and lick your fingers. A knife and fork job, similar to a beef rib.

For one thing it'll be very difficult to get crispy skin, since these will need to cook at a low temp for 5/6 hours. The other problem I had was the fat. This cut will have loads of fat, and it'll take ages for this to all render out. While some people don't mind chewing on fat, I am not a fan, and I never managed to get the fat rendered on this cut to a level where I'd enjoy eating it.

Let us know how you get on though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Lemon sole, chips, minted peas and tartare sauce

I always find the other minefield is pork belly in asian cooking.

Sometimes it's low and slow, fat rendered and crispy on top, like in the western approach... And sometimes it's pan-fried and super springy and chewy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love the fact that you can roast pork belly quickly or do a real slow cook.

I like it both ways.

Sushi made by the kids.. With some help.

Slow Cooker Chicken Pho

Never skinned a whole chicken before, not too hard to do. You sieve/drain all the slow cooker stock so don’t bother peeling the ginger if it’s made up of little fingers.

Added boiled eggs and used pak choi instead of bean sprouts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_pho_97726

Cheers for your input Gloomtastic turned out excellent 👍 second pic is a bit dodgy (upside down for some reason)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Savoury minced beef (includes carrots, peas, mushrooms). Steamed potatoes, that were going a bit green! and broccolini.

Was in Howth on Friday and some of the fish shops have €10 whole salmon on offer so I snapped one up.

You have to scale it which is a tad messy but otherwise, it’s good to go.

Three of us demolished this but you could easily feed four/five.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastedsalmonwithsal_78565

Chilli beef with noodles.

At the behest of my partner, bacon and cabbage. I got in trouble for putting cloves in the ham water. Apparently that's too adventurous.

"Can't you just leave it alone, just simple!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you have a recipe for that? It looks delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

And parsley sauce, the *only* sauce in my wee opinion, drool, unfortunately Mrs G doesn't like it so I've not made it in years.

Advertisement