Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I tend to agree with this, Ngannou deserves a lot of credit for last night but the one glaringly obvious thing for me was the fact he'd be very exposed against a pressure fighter, Fury for whatever reason wasn't interested, maybe he was too afraid of the power, but Ngannou would struggle against someone like Chisora, a decent pressure fighter would of gotten rid of him last night imo, he was gone in the latter rounds, he only got through it because Fury stood off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly. He was not at all exposed to what a real pacey fight could present.

I mentioned it already, but as poor a HW as Chisora is, against Francis, a complete novice (who has fook all miles on the clock) , I think Chisora has a field day..

there seems to be this narrative that because a fighter gave some fighter (who is highly ranked) a tough time, he has to then give a completely different styles fighter (lower ranked) a tough time. It’s like some folks never heard of styles…

I’m reading comments this morning (based off last night) that he’d be favorite against a lot of top rated HWs, and that plenty top rated HWs won’t want to face him. It’s bonkers..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Surely if you belts were on the line it wouid have been a different contest? Fury didn't look properly ready for last night.

At the end of the day nothing was on the line except a big payday. Nobody could really lose. Ngaannou will get more big paydays, and Fury obviously will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He would have to want to fight him first, maybe this will give aj some confidence to fight fury

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Just saw the highlights, Francis was good but thought his head movement was poor. Thought fury looked a bit rattled and was worried. Fury looked not 100 percent although Francis and fury will improve if there's a rematch

• Advertisement

Usyk to Fury… so what is the craic here?

“We have a contract that says the fight has to take place on Dec 23rd… 

"Let Fury vacate his title first, then he can take his rest… 

"Tyson - we must fight, we must do it, Dec 23rd. See you in the ring. I love you.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Why don't Ahern take him on in a fight so?

Him getting a pasting would probably outsell any other fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think AJ would be even more clueless than Fury was tbh! Ngannou would level him.

Frank Warren now saying Fury vs Usyk unlikely to happen in Dec. Mentions March next year.

Just get the fight on ffs.

😅😖…

I don’t think you really watch much boxing..

Francis, the novice pro who is 0-1 is now levelling career heavyweights..

Fury was absolute pants.. if AJ decides to be absolute pants, I still think Francis doesn’t level him..

• Advertisement

Yeh, well he does have a lil shiner under his left eye!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I honestly don't think Francis beats any of the top 10,

People now have tape & see his style & would take him apart,He was big awkward & stubborn ,but i don't think he was great at all,

Fury was awful & still managed to win, He won the last two rounds if it was 12 rounds he'd have probably have won the last 4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

That was Fury at 50% and it was very close. AJ will at least prepare properly if nothing else and that'll be more

than enough to beat Ngannou.

I'm gutted Fury wasn't handed a loss tbh as I don't believe he took that fight seriously at all, deserved nothing from it and it

only hurt his reputation and the ppv numbers possibly whenever he does fight Usyk.

AJ/Ngannou should look to fight each other, it's a big payday and a safe looking fight for AJ in my opinion.

I had it even the last night but figured even if ngannou was a round ahead in most peoples eyes they'd still give it to Fury, too corrupt and too much money would have been lost otherwise.

The only loser the last night was the sport of boxing but whether its ngannou/fury paul/diaz or the likes it seems people

still pay for these nonsense match ups (particularly paul diaz and paul askren, and that joke of a match between paul and Danis)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The weekend event worn hurt ppv numbers for the undisputed fight or the rematch at all.

fury got 100m and promoted his brand in front of a huge audience so he’s winning in life really, according to the media and people online fury is finished now, he’s too old and not as good as everyone thought so what’s he meant to do just give up the belt and let Aj fight hrgovic for it ? Maybe he will who know with fury but with Netflix series 2 coming I doubt he will do that.

The internet isn’t for everyone

Lil shiner sitting on the face of a man humiliated by a novice. He's a cowboy.

good interview with shane fury, he's always very open and honest, maybe too honest at times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What I dont understand that if they were going to rig the scorecards why have one of them 3 points ahead. That is just stupid.

Also 2 judges gave Fury round 7 . No way did Fury win that round.

Then we have John Fury saying Francis won one round.

Usyk will have him for breakfast, thats if Fury shows up of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

In a word "shite" , ! Time was it was something to savour ! Not infected by the crims involved in it now , sad really , loved sitting up to watch meaningful bouts !

The cards and result don’t really matter a damn.

The very fact he could easily have been the loser (justifiably) against an MMA fighter is the embarrassment.

Folks talking about him still winning is missing the wood for the trees.

I only gave Francis a KO shot, but he ends up being able to hang with Fury in a points/boxing scenario.

Fury was terrible looking trying in stamp his authority against a novice pro.

I have mentioned styles making fights, and although Usyk is not near comparable to Francis, I’d still be wee bit more confident now that Usyk beats Fury. I think physically and mentally he’s more solid, consistent and dependable than Fury.

Expect Fury to yet again duck Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Do you think Fury trained properly for the fight ?

Also do you think there will be a rematch ?

• Advertisement

I doubt he trained like he would have for say, Wilder or Wlad, but he had to do some training..

rematch? Definitely a possibility. And means he can kick the Usyk can farther down the road..and try to fool the usual gullible sods that a rematch is the right thing for boxing

Great interview with Dominic Ingle where he reviews the fury event at the weekend, he makes some very good points

Usyk won’t have him for breakfast, he went the distance with Del Boy and wasn’t amazing against Joshua last time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It made it farcical for sure. That judge was only giving Francis two rounds other than the one with knockdown.

The whole thing does leave a question mark over where Fury is at though. I did expect him to beat Usyk, amn't so sure he would now. Will that fight even happen? Will Fury just go for another huge payday against Francis, which is still a less risky fight than Usyk?

I rewatched the fight , Fury won by a round maybe two , tlaks of a robbery are way off,

The fight was a stinker, Fury was woeful but Franics was pretty awful himself,

I honestly think even the likes of Ruiz would destroy Francis,

I think Fury went in thinking he wouldn't have to come out of second gear & then panicked when he wasn't hurting Francis,

It was the equivalent of a top Prem team playing a really poor 2nd division side in the Fa Cup & getting dragged down to there level & scrapping by

Usyk said himself it reminded hi of his fight against Del Boy where he just never got going but just did enough & everyone doubted him,

I also think everyone is going over board, He;ll get his sh*t together & on to the next one ,

Well, glad to see and read that I am not bonkers in thinking that Francis isn't some world-beater now based off Fury struggling terrible with him

He looked like a novice,

Even the shot he knocked Fury down with wasn't a thunderous shot, It just clipped the back of his head,

Fury for whatever reason looked awful , he relay looked like he didn't want to be there, I heard Shane Fury say the dressing room was very odd before the fight, there was no fear or sense of dread that whole team have before every single pro fight, it wasn't like there man was going out to war, I think there was about 20 different reason for Fury being so poor, A very bizarre night

In the end he won & i think rightly so ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

there will be a rematch you'd imagine after the Uysk fights.

• Advertisement

I can't see it, Fury will move on,

I think Hearn will be doing his his best to get AJ a fight with Francis now to avoid Wilder,

Advertisement