Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

The next section of the Galway-Dublin greenway looks to have ground to a halt....again. The main consultants are walking away from the project

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wouldnt blame them. Daft route. The Eurovelo project is to link cities. Doing it in such a zigzag route is mental. If it was about the scenery of the route, do you really think theyd have done Mullingar to Athlone.

Of course thats not the main reason theyre pulling out but I dont think many will care given the pointless route it is now taking. At least the section near Athlone links alot of bike commuters

Speaking to Shannonside Northern Sound News today, Councillor O'Rourke says it is unlikely the delay will result in changes to the preferred route:

Thats unfortunate, given how utterly shite it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rn

In fairness the brits did the hard work in land acquisition for the mullingar to athlone greenway. And most greenways in the country. Took us a hundred years to attempt similar scale infrastructure projects.

Landowners were even happy to see likes of old mullingar line disused and decaying. Anecdotally many would have half an eye on incorporating parts of it into their holding. I've seen this happen a good few times and it seems relatively easy to get your local council to extinguish rights of way and routes if nobody objects.

That said, I agree, the new route is daft. A simpler solution would have been follow the motorway. There are new access roads along most of the motorway each side. Although I know there's the odd new house built on them now - which is very poor planning by roscommon Co council (but that's not surprising given their atrocious record in monksland)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

The "F**K Greenways" ... I mean the "East Galway Greenway Action Group".

My understanding is that it is meandering so that it uses the maximum amount of public land to minimise dealing with landowners. It's backfired anyway.

• Advertisement

It's going to end up being a case study on how not to design a greenway

Seriously, I gave up counting the 90 degree turns when I got past 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The case study will be Offaly. The Grand Canal is paved from Edenderry all the way to Pollagh with a link to the Lough Boora Park, the branch from Ballycommon to Kilbeggan is also cycleable with signage for local roads to connect to Streamstown to get onto the Rail Trail (very impressive work around the Streamstown station, coffee shop, children's play area, bike service tools, looks well)

With the industrial level peat production all but wound down by Bord na Móna, the state owned bog lands are the easiest places to put these things in. Only problem is those bogs don't stretch to Galway. Historically transport infrastructure west of the Shannon wasn't even built, never mind abandoned and adapted for local leisure facilities, there aren't any old canals, railways etc that aren't still in use today. Once you get to Shannon harbour the ESB have control of the west bank of the river where tow paths for canal boats to get to Portumna used to be, once you get down there the communities along the foothills of the Slieve Aughtys are much more accomodating. Portumna has just recently put in a path from their lake swimming amenity over to the castle and dock which leads into the Coillte forest park. You used to have to go into town and back out. The village of Woodford to the south west of Portumna has bicycle ornaments decorating the streets. There's always going to be "action groups" against getting nice things. They'll either succeed or fail in the short term but long-term things will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Was in Jysk and homestore on Monday. Can't see Jysk surviving. Homestore was nice and bright. Dear I thought outside of their half price offers. The Mr Price in Athlone is colossal. It made the Eurogiant in Monksland looks small.

Mr price is excellent... even if it violates planning law. Did they ever get that rectified?

Although the cheapest of those discounts stores in Athlone continues to be supersavers in Monksland

Homestoreandmore is fairly premium alright, apart from their special sales. Jysk should probably survive with all the new houses in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

Has coppers closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

There was a minor fire above Peddlers (that name you're looking for). Not sure how serious or even genuine. Theyre not losing much this time of year. Maybe using the time to finish renovations too.

The Lidl plan to move beside the Springs is interesting. Monksland crying out for them or Aldi to setup and finally give a rival to the cartel (who have been using their influence to block them before).

Anyone think it will see fruition? It is planned to go in the field beside the Ford Garage.

Athenry saw the same with them both blocked for nearly a decade so it's anyone's guess. If this is the first application, I don't hold out much hope

They have a better chance this time. The last few times, the sites were far from ideal. Was surprised the omeara one was turned down though. I thought that made a lot of sense.

Devils advocate, the junction beside that garage is mental. If you are pulling out of the garage, you get stuck if there is a queue for the lights. Add a LIDL to that with tonnes more traffic lights and the Tuam Road becomes Ballymahon Road mark 2.

Saying all that, id love to see Monksland slowed to town levels. Revvers need to be silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They'd need a roundabout or lights (probably lights - Athlone has a sick fascination with traffic lights) ad maybe reorganise the main road along to sequence things better

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭FlicFlak

I did (briefly) see plans for the site, and this was taken into account. That entire section was being bought, including all those houses along the Roscommon road, across from the old butchers. There would have been a new entrance/exit onto the Roscommon road and the junction with the lights was being redone.

• Advertisement

Bigger Devil's Advocate.

Shouldn't this all be discussed in the Roscommon regional forum. 😈😝

You might as well say the Statue Of Liberty is in New Jersey.

Monksland has far far more Athlone (County Westmeath) links than any Roscommon links of any description. The cartel got to alot of people to object to the official redesignation as they knew theyd get cheaper rates being in Ros.

Ah it was hearts and minds aspect too. Athlone always did, and always will, straddle two counties. My postal address is Athlone, Co. Roscommon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

likewise and if ayone ever asks where I'm from I would say Athlone, not South Roscommon or townland.

The divide in Athlone if anything holds the town back when looking for gov investment compared to places like Mullingar etc. for example look at the new EV training centre announced for there the other day while in the mean time Roscommon town is also fighing for a more basic training centre. If the Athlone isnt careful it will be left behind like it was with hospitals yrs ago when it comes to the skills needed for the future.

Yes you are right there because both Roscommon and Mullingar pretty much leave athlone to itself in terms of investment the big state buildings local government buildings go to the county capitals.

And it's at a disadvantage to elect national politicians due to the split.

But athlone has the best business district of those towns and has best transport infrastructure lying between Galway and Dublin, so in a straight up objective competition for investment Athlone will do fine.

The local doctors seem to be taking payment upfront these days. Are people really dining and dashing I'm those? Makes no sense. If I dont pay they surely won't take me on for my next ailment.

Inexperienced receptionist by any chance? Was in Monksland medical centre during week and it was usual pay on way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Newtown are now pay up front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Advertisement

Advertisement