Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah that's fair enough, I mistook the bridge for Bothar na dTreabh.

I had to double check it myself, as it could have been either 👍️

On a side note, he's got some more videos up. If these aren't a solid argument for avg speed cameras I don't know what is. Reminder for all, this is a 60k stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I'm sure it would be just as easy to those record those on bicycle not follow the rule of the road. Defo easy to get those on scooters not maintaining their propose limit.

That person may likely get what's coming to him just like the guy with camera with red bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

what they're fighting against is having a 'solution' imposed that most people have not looked for and do not want. Having seen the proposed plan for the lights on the bridge, it seems clear that a straightforward footbridge is a simpler, cheaper, faster solution and could also help alleviate the traffic congestion if it reduces the number of kids being dropped off at the school gates by car. This was proposed decades ago; the question is why has that proposal not been acted upon?

A more immediate solution which in theory could be implemented immediately, would be to put two lollipop ladies pedestrian crossing consultants on duty at school start and end times to facilitate the children who walk across the bridge. That won't help the brigade who drop their kids off by car and get stuck trying to get back onto the N59 but it might convince them to let the kids walk at least from the bridge to the school. BTW there is an existing safe option which avoids the bridge in question but means walking to school from the far end of the village along the river - from the Glann road to the secondary school is about 700m

A separate bridge is indeed the best solution but it's years away. In the meantime the lights are the next best option.

While I don't disagree a crossing guard could be done quickly too, by your own admission it would only cover school start/finish times.

Those are not the only times of the day when it's dangerous to cross the bridge as a pedestrian so it's a much poorer option over a set of lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I know I'll regret this but I'll bite. What exactly does get what's coming to him mean, safer roads for everyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Please explain the basis of your post by PM, thank you

grem

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

A bicycle going through a red light isn't on the same level of risk as a car doing 100kph in a 60kph zone. It's physics.

Driver behaviour in Galway is shockingly poor, "but what about that bike I saw on a footpath" doesn't excuse it.

(edit)

Gardai do need to start doing spot checks for illegal e-scooters and e-bikes, there needs to be some deterrent before numbers get out of hand.

Not disagreeing.

Enforcement is a job for the gardai, if the public have issue they should raise a complaint to gardai, arrange appointment with local TD or run for an election to have a mandate on enforcement issues.

That twitter account from previous posts has issue with the increased speed limit. The Karen's won't be happy until the speed limit is is probably 10kph yet the problem will still exist.

Anyone can get a camera and record pedestrian cyclist motorist e-scooters doing something wrong and in specific areas its shooting fish in a barrel depending on what you focus. Engagement should be done through gardai, politicians and forums/committee where public are asked to engage.

if the safety of schoolchildren is the primary concern, then the deployment of a couple of lollipop controls either side of the bridge at school start, stop and lunch time will solve that issue until a footbridge is built (agreed by all sides as the best solution and only 2 or 3 years away if the comment in the linked article in your earlier post is to be believed). School kids are by far the main pedestrian traffic on that bridge. Outside of the lollipop controlled periods, pedestrians can do as they've always done - exercise sensible caution and vigilance before crossing the bridge. AFAIK, there haven't been any pedestrian fatalities or injuries on that bridge (at least in the past 20-30 years but I'm open to correction) and I'd presume the good folk of Oughterard could manage maintain that record for the few years it takes to build a footbridge

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on what is deemed the greater priority, pedestrian lives or driver journey times.

For me it's a no-brainer

As for the lack of deaths at that location, the fact its so dangerous would discourage usage by pedestrians.

There's an analogy that applies "there have been no drownings since we put the safety sharks in the pool".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@Laviski "That person may likely get what's coming to him just like the guy with camera with red bike."

That's an extraordinary level of cognitive dissonance to advocate vigilante violence as a response to someone merely pointing out examples of law breaking.

@Laviski "Enforcement is a job for the gardai, if the public have issue they should raise a complaint to gardai."

So enforcement is a job for the gardai except for those cases where you deem it's acceptable to physically attack people? Have I understood that correctly?

No you haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Would there be any chance we could just swap cities and get the Freiburgers to sort Galway out?

Thank you for that very informative response. Let me take this step by step.

Your response to someone documenting dangerously illegal driving was the following:

That person may likely get what's coming to him just like the guy with camera with red bike.

You didn't choose a neutral factual description like "get attacked" but instead chose the loaded phrase "get what's coming to him", making it clear that you think the guy on the red bike deserved to get beaten up and that, if the guy recording outrageous breaches of speed limits gets beaten up, that will be deserved too.

Just to be clear, all this guy is doing is documenting speeding on our roads to highlight the danger other road users are being placed in, he's not confronting anyone, or anything like that. Yet you somehow think what he is doing is so unacceptable that you believe he deserves to be beaten up for it. And then you have the balls to follow that up with the statement:

Enforcement is a job for the gardai, if the public have issue they should raise a complaint to gardai.

The hypocrisy is just astounding.

If I'm incorrect in anything, please point it out. All I've done is taken what you have written at face value.

Just on yer man doing the tweets/videos, once the reporting opens for members of the public to submit footage/images of law breaking on the roads, this one lad will likely do more to improve the safety of the roads and streets of Galway than the whole of the Gardai assigned to the city

There's another account, no idea if its the same lad, Galway City of Cars. If illegal parking is handled by that portal, that lad will single handedly fix a lot of the illegal parking in the city too

I think its due to be launched some time next year

lolz , just wow.....

someone "merely" pointing out law breaking is doing so without legal authority and is a form of vigilantism as well albeit on the lighter side. Regardless on what people think good or bad, This is the role for gardai and the go safe cameras and not for members of the public. If i recall from a previous post by their own admission they were asked to stop that before when a guard came by.

Those that attempt these activities can put themselves at risk as the can antagonize the wrong person or even a "good" person on a bad day. Not everyone is happy when they are recorded in public place regardless if law abiding or not. This person obviously has the time and some money where they could put into the proper channels and appropriate forum.

Bottom line, camera and a twitter handle to state the obvious is like shooting fish in a barrel and additionally put out their own narratives. as said anyone can do that for any form of breaking rules of a road, you just need to be in a the place that it is rife. Not hard to do..... problem here is enforcing existing legislation.

if you want to engage on my previous post, happy to take a PM.

Reporting portals are in use all over the world for such issues and work quite effectively. The public submits the images/videos, which are reviewed before fines/points etc are handed out

Fully aware gardai will seek CCTV and dashcam footage where a crime is committed. However they would not advocate and discourage for someone to actively pursue a caped crusade against a specific cohort that does not line up with their agenda. Especially where they are posting on a public platform intentionally for views...

• Advertisement

However they would not advocate and discourage for someone to actively pursue a caped crusade against a specific cohort that does not line up with their agenda.

Umm, this is already being implemented. The legislation side of it is done, now they are just getting things set up.

Its a core component of the 2021-2030 Road Safety Strategy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

If I remember correctly any breach of the law being reported needs the person reporting to be willing to stand behind the claim.

I was in fairly frequent contact with various emergency services while I was security and often hesitated calling because I knew I could end up being called for statement sometimes in another county, I think it's hard to be available and it's also hard to follow something up if it's an anonymous report

Just amateur observation on my part though, everyone's experience would vary

thats great, but for the footage this person is generating is not the intended audience. They are posting on a public platform intentionally for views...making a case to push along their own agenda and making themselves known.

More to to the point they standing in a fixed place with a speed gun which they obtained on their own accord - not a scenario where they are walking or cycling (going about their business) with an action camera. Again shooting fish in a barrel phrase i will keep referring back to.

True and to be honest there will be part of that here too.

How I can see it going will be along the lines of how penalty points are done now where its (for example) 3 points for X offense, but its 5 if you challenge it in court. So you can still have your day in court should you wish but you run the risk of getting a worse result.

For anyone that does challenge, there would absolutely be a requirement for the submitter of the imagery to be present on the day. Thats fair enough IMHO

based on the Irish times link provided that would be the case.

person submitting would need to come to court for the prosecution. I doubt twitter handlers would be arsed if they are not using methods already available. they happy with the retweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there legal provision for this, or is it just how you think things could or should be?

Details have yet to be released, my thoughts on the makeup of it are just that. We'll know more when it gets closer to the launch.

That being said I am basing my thoughts on how it's done in other jurisdictions.

That's the way it already works right now, and the new legislation is just about process of receiving a statement online rather instead of the current requirement for a signed piece of paper, so the way you describe it is how it should continue to work.

Right now if you report something you are asked if you are willing to go to court. If you say you aren't then the Gardai will still issue a FCN. If the driver disputes it then either the Gardai drop it or they come back to you and ask you if that's still your position. The few times I've done it I've said I am willing to go to court but I've never actually had to. Each time the driver has accepted the FCN.

All that should change with the online portal is that you can submit a report at home in a few minutes at your own convenience, instead of having to make an appointment and then spend 30-45 minutes watching a guard write everything out longhand, and knowing that he will have to type it into the Pulse system afterwards. The portal is going to make it much more convenient for people to submit reports, and it's also going to allow the Gardai to process them in a fraction of the time they currently need to spend on them, so I'd say it's going to result in a huge uptick in reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Those two individuals better be prepared to spend an awful lot of time in court: A person must attend court to prove the digital image.

As Conor Faughnan says in the same article: You can’t create a culture which says: ‘I uploaded some footage, what are you doing with my case?’ The guards have to be the ones who set their priorities; they can’t chase down every road range incident,” he said. “One person’s passion does not necessarily make the garda’s priority.”

I read an interesting quote lately that said that police services "only enforce the law when they want to, and against whom they want to".

I don't think that it's going to make the difference that you think it will. That's if it comes in at all, which I doubt, but if it does, I suspect that it will be a long time away.

It will also be a boon for lawyers, who will argue on their clients behalf that the footage is doctored.

• Advertisement

Advertisement