Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are terrible driving habits on the rise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

I was just in Airside retail park and I had 2 incidents of cars pulling out in front of me, it happens and should be expected in a busy car park. No harm done and the loon who followed someone home for such a minor indiscretion is obviously a lunatic who can't control his rage. I would regard someone following me home as a serious threat to my safety and I would react appropriately to the situation and I can guarantee the perpetrator would severely regret his actions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Cheers.

I was nowhere near him. Absolutely acres of space. I'm not an idiot.

I pulled out, with ample space as the car park allows. In this particular car park, there is a certain amount of giving way to those who are already on the turn out of their car parking spaces, as based on the design of the car park, you will 100% be in one of the lanes lines of sight as you are pulling out. As I pointed out, there was lots of space for me to do safely.

Yeah, when someone is leaning on the horn and I have done, absolutely nothing wrong, I am within my right to ask what the issue is. There was no need for the drivers aggression, or yours imo.

Kudos to you though. Absolutely taking the post out of context and having a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Except it wasn't just a minor indiscretion, it was followed by a deliberate, aggressive and potentially dangerous action.

By me? We were slowing anyway, to come to a junction, to join the actual road. Your absolute insistence that I was in the wrong is mind blowing.

Maybe I was piss poor in describing it but it was the first of its kind I have ever encountered and I and other road users, use this shopping centre and my driving norm in there is the same as everyone else. And by the way, he followed me for two miles. That justified enough for you??

The way I read it is that the other driver deliberately went out of his way to be offended by a minor indiscretion in a busy carpark. We all know the type, probably anticipated what was going to happen and sped up so as to have to jam on the brakes and display his indignation ... a bit like a Boards poster who can't leave a debate without getting the last word in, coz, he's right and the other guy is wrong and that's all the sad loser has in his life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No. The principal factors that have changed in recent years that has led to an increase in red light jumping is an increase in cars being driven and at the same time a decrease in the enforcement of the road traffic laws.

Make up whatever excuse you like but you know that people will only break a red light because the reckon they'll get away with it. Same reason drivers speed etc.

So you actually believe that people only drive past red traffic lights at junctions where the timings are off? You really need to walk around the likes of Dublin to inform yourself on reality!

I like to think im quite attuned to reality thanks. I walk in Dublin City centre regularly and compliance with traffic signals is extremely high - of course it has to be or there would be gridlock on the streets but don't let that inconvenient truth get in the way of your narrative

The explanations only reinforce my original view. There was a clear line of sight, yet you pulled out of the parking spot in front of oncoming traffic impeding the progress of the other driver who had right of way. You claim you were nowhere near him, yet you deliberately slowed down in front of him. It doesn't add up.

The most reasonable explanation is that you either misjudged the distance / speed of the oncoming traffic or assumed you could edge out of the parking spot and cause oncoming traffic to have to give way to you, even though they have right of way. In either instance you would be in the wrong. You should wait until you can exit the parking spot without impeding the flow of other traffic.

When the other driver leant on the horn you aggravated the situation by deliberately slowing down in front of him. This was a totally unnecessary, aggressive and potentially dangerous move.

This is not having "done, absolutely nothing wrong"

Maybe acknowledging your original mistake would have been an appropriate response. If I pulled out in front of someone I'd consider a few seconds blast of their horn a wake up call to be a bit more observant and careful in future.

I think I have tried to look at it in a factual and logical way. If you view it as being aggressive, it does colour how I interpret your depiction of the other driver as being aggressive.

Maybe an easier, and less long winded way of dealing with this is for you to answer the following question:

Your driving through a busy Lidl carpark. A car pulls out of a parking spot ahead of you, do you:

A) speed up, jam on the brakes, flip the bird and, when the other driver proceeds slowly away from the spot you decide to follow him to his home to remonstrate with him

or

B) gently tap on your brakes while the other car exits its parking spot and you and the other driver get on with your day

Because if its B you have nothing to fear from the poster but if it's A then you're the problem. Simples.

• Advertisement

B. But neither is what happened in this instance.

Depending on how close someone pulled out in front of me / how near it was to causing a collision I might beep the horn to alert them to the issue. If they brake checked me as a result I'd do my best to have them prosecuted for dangerous driving.

And you were there..so you would know.

He obviously sped up you numpty. I had so much room when I was pulling out. At least 70-80m. I've stated that, repeatedly. There was ample space for me to drive out, safely.

It's clear that you are also unaware of the regulations, requiring the usage of the horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main difference with now over 20 years ago is smartphones. Walk along any line of cars stopped in traffic, and you'll see the majority of drivers with their phones illegally on their lap, where they are position for maximum distraction impact, if not actually in the hand. It's at epidemic levels, young drivers, old drivers, grannies, school run parents, tradesmen and truckers, all driving in a way that guarantees they are not giving full attention to the traffic conditions around them.

Anyway McBain. I've engaged with you for too long 😂

Have a lovely bank holiday.

I'm well aware of when to use the horn. "The Regulations also provide that a driver may use a horn only to warn other road users of oncoming danger, or to make them aware of the driver’s presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary. " which is why I predicated it on how close it was to causing a collision.

Ah. The person used a horn, therefore they must be in the right. Got ya Sheldon. Totally get where you are coming from.

I'm going on your description of the event and this is the first time you have mentioned the other driver speeding up or the distance being at least 80m when you started to pull out.

There's a lack of consistency with the incident as you describe it.

No inconsistency. It was obvious from the start that the other driver sped up. Lets remember he followed the OP to his home. So we know the kind of lunatic we're dealing with ... the one that goes more than half way to meet trouble and therefore meets it often

• Advertisement

"Proceeded to flip me the bird. So I slowed down in front of him, still not main road."

vs

"By me? We were slowing anyway, to come to a junction, to join the actual road."

That's the sort of inconsistancy that makes your narrative difficult to take at face value.

If he went two miles out of his way just to give out to you that's a bit over the top.

Unless he did a U-turn right after having words he may have been going that way anyhow and just took the opportunity when you stopped.

If I thought I was being followed I'd be inclined to take some anti surveillance measures e.g. drive in a circle / loop and check if the car is still behind. If it was I'd find a safe public space to stop rather than my own house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Ah for Jaysus sake 'take anti surveillance measures', no wonder you consider the reaction by the aggreived driver to be normal

I had already sent a flare up to inform my unit commander. Damn comms were down.

AC-130 above!!

I wouldn't consider following someone for two miles to be normal.

Nothing over the top, if you think you're being followed by some road rage loon, just drive around the block once, if they're still behind you they're probably best avoided and don't park right outside your house with them behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Cameras at lights that take picture and actually follow through with fine might soften some coughs.

I live.in a medium size town. Not many traffic lights here but the number of drivers blatantly going through red is unreal.

Phone use is off the charts too. The amount of drivers, women in particular, holding the phone out in front of their face while driving their crossovers etc and with no appreciation for their safety, their passengers safety or other road users really pi$$es me off.

They will be the very ones whining and lying on the roadside when the proverbial hits the fan.

Damn!!! You've just given away our position! Incoming, take cover!!!! 💥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Iv been driving 15 years. The last couple since covid iv become more nervous on the roads with all the dangerous driving iv seen. I drive roughly 20000k a year.

Yesterday a guy was bombing it on a narrow coastal road. Barely missed my mirror.

A few weeks ago a guy pulled out infront of me at a roundabout. He never even looked right. Had to slam on to not hit his drivers door.

Earlier in the year a guy slammed on the brakes at a 100k infront of me. I manged to stop and not hit him but the 3 cars behind me were in a pile up. Even tho that arsehole caused it he got away unscaved.

What is that all about? The stupid hold the phone in front of the face? Are they on video call?

At least a phone against the ear and shoulder leaves hands somewhat free.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

On a daily basis I see really aggressive manoeuvres, coupled with no indicators, brake checks, flying up the hard shoulder to skip the q, but then the plebs have time to pull into Maxol for a coffee. It looks like they are out to find trouble.

It used to be just young fellas. Now it's everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Red light breaking has never been policed well in Dublin, ever yet the endemic breaking has only started relatively recently - so what's changed?

Yes, there's an increase in traffic volume but more consequently there has been a reduction in space and priority for cars in the city. This has resulted in massive increases in driver frustration. In the past drivers might not have considered jumping a red, but when you've been sitting in traffic inching along, light after light, for the guts of an hour due to sequencing of lights and traffic layouts which have been designed to frustrate it is the utterly predictable outcome.

This doesn't excuse behaviour at an individual level but seeks to explain behaviour at a broader systems level. Rule breaking is a fact of life, and clever design is meant to mitigate it not exacerbate it. This is how gfoe example, narrowing lanes, bollards, shared pavements etc. work to calm traffic, where a speed sign will mostly fail.

The systems of light sequencing and traffic engineering in Dublin is designed to punish the driver (through wasting their time) for having the temerity to enter the city via car, even though no viable alternative exists for many. It is the polar opposite of clever design, however the city council has been utterly captured by the anti car lobby. Light breaking is the obvious outcome of these design decisions arising from ill thought out and disjointed policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

I've noticed an increase - and several other posters have alluded to the same - in drivers on main roads stopping repeatedly to let those on side roads out - and in so doing, holding up the vehicles behind them on the main road. This is foolish as not only does it prevent the intended free-flow of traffic on the main road, it might also tempt the frustrated vehicle behind to overtake, just as a driver tries to exit from a side road. I'm not referring to merging traffic or where there is clearly a tail-back down a side road, but where there is one car sitting in a side road, I can't see why you would stop to let it out.

• Advertisement

Red light colour blindness exists all over ireland. Its ridiculous the f67kwits on two wheels whilst on twitter/Facebook/grinder/Instagram etc. Its not just in Dublin.

The f!xkwits used to be Wannabe Colin McRae pilots. Now it could be your granny, giving you the bird whilst brake checking and following you home.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I do it regularly. Us boggers call it manners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There were recent roadworks on Sundrive road in Dublin. Previously there was a filter light for cars heading towards Kimmage turning right into Stanaway road but its now gone. As there is a constant stream of cars coming from Kimmage (often going through a red) the only way to turn right is move into the junction and wait for the red. Alternative is sit there all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd prefer if you didn't and I live down one of those side roads that can be a pain to get out of.

People stopping the main road traffic to let people out of b roads is dangerous. I've had people stopping their lane, urging me to come out to cross 2 lanes when the road is not clear. If the driver had just driven normally, I'd have gotten out sooner and all the other drivers wouldn't have been kept waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a difference alright and a dangerous habit as is any form of distraction - you could easily add fiddling with the sound system, fiddling with the sat nav, kids fighting in the back.

I happened to be reading some old Evening Heralds recently from 1960s and the level of carnage on the roads was of a far higher order than today. Almost regular daily news at times.

Please stop doing it. While the gesture is appreciated as someone who lives down a lane, its not following the rules and can have unsafe outcomes.

People just have to wait for the gap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If a car slowing or stopping in front of you causes an unsafe outcome then you need to look at your own driving.

In a perfect world everyone should be alert to cars suddenly stopping for no apparent reason. The truth is though most drivers are not fully clued into the road in front of them 100% of the time as they ought to be, and most drivers in Ireland have an average level of skill. This is something we have to accept.

Using the swiss cheese model of failure for an accident that involved a car getting rear ended because the car in front stopped on a main road to let someone out:

Car stopped inappropriately on main road

Driver behind not paying attention

There could be other contributory factors, such as road surface, weather, traffic levels etc, where if any of them, if they had not occurred the accident would not have happened.

So the correct way to prevent these kinds of accidents is to address all the causes - drivers should be more attentive and cars shouldn't stop on main roads unless in an emergency. The recommendations is not a case of one one or the other.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think we should be absolving any blame from the bad drivers who don't drive to the road conditions and aren't paying attention to the road. The times I see people letting others out they are not travelling at 60km/h and dropping anchor to the extant that they are skidding to a stop.

If you are rear ending someone in front of you on the road then the problem is you. The car could just as likely be stopping to make a turn as they are to be letting someone else out. Leave adequate space and neither scenario should be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

If you're stopping on a main road to let traffic from a minor road out, you need your licence revoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

With traditional sound systems, you don't need to look at the controls to operate them. Knobs and buttons were in a fixed position. Unfortunately, these are being replaced by touchscreen controls which require the operator to look at the control. These should be banned.

Smartphone apps are explicitly designed to be addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's more complex than that. You can't control the other road users who may try to undertake your stopped car assuming it's turning right or cars on the other lane arriving quicker than anticipated, or the driver you're allowing onto the road being distracted and then panicking when they feel they're holding up traffic.

I've seen all of those things happen because someone tried to do a good deed by letting someone onto the main road by stopping traffic behind them

My guess is it very much depends on the road conditions, I'm thinking of the times I see it happen which is main roads around Dublin which are generally under moderate traffic conditions. If another poster is thinking of a person stopping on a detrunked former national road then it's a very different scenario.

Out in the real world I regularly let traffic out when its safe to do so and will continue to do so, when its safe to do so. Thankfully there are many more courteous drivers out there that reciprocate when its safe tp do so. Long may it last

Yea driving can be complex so if you feel that way about it then best to avoid

Yes, I let people out all the time too. But stopping on a main road when there's traffic behind you, as discussed in this thread, does not fall under "when it's safe to do so". If there's no traffic behind you, what a re you letting them out for? Just keep going and everything's fine, you're being more courteous to them by allowing them to join the road quicker.

999 times out of a thousand, you'll end up being the major contributory cause of an accident and I repeat....ANYONE who regularly sees someone waiting to join there road and decides to actually stop and let them in, needs to have their licence revoked. If you can slow down a bit to allow them join, then yeah, or delay taking off from a standstill to let someone reverse out of a garden or hold back so someone can do a U-turn....yeah, all fairly common and courteous. But that's not what the poster was describing above.

If you're driving down a main road and someone is waiting to join and you have to come to a complete stop to allow them to join, you're a numpty and shouldn't be on the road. You keep being courteous all you want, I and everyone else on the road would prefer if you could behave in the manner that we're all taught as that's what keeps us all safe.

Don't be polite, be predictable.

So you're saying you let people out when its safe to do so.

Almost, that's a part of what I'm saying. Seems like your reading comprehension is up there with your driving skills.

I'm saying STOPPING ON A MAIN ROAD TO LET OTHERS JOIN THE ROAD IS NOT SAFE DRIVING, seeing as you're finding it difficult to get your head around it.

I'm not sure where your driving that its so dangerous a car slowing in front of you causes an accident 99.9% of the time. I think your exaggerating massively. There are many main roads around the country and we do not have carnage every time a car either slows to pull in, let someone out, or make a turn. The only way I would find that dangerous would be if I'm tailgating someone, in that case it's me who's not driving to the conditions of the road and should be the one who's licence is taken away.

• Advertisement

More reading comprehension difficulties.

Read my post again. I didn't mention slowing down. I said stopping. I also never said it causes an accident 99.9% of the time, I said you'd be found to a be a major contributor to any accident 99.9% of the time.

Anyone who stops unexpectedly to let a car out of a side road will be found at fault for the ensuing pile up, no matter how close / far they were behind you. If you're driving down the road, in traffic, see someone trying to join the road.......which is safer? Come to a complete stop, causing everyone else around you to accommodate your bizarrely unexpected manouevre, or keep going and let them pull out behind everyone in 6 seconds' time?

If you have to stop to let them out, you shouldn't have let them out.

Advertisement