Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not in 2006 when they tried to expand their border in to the lebanon they couldn't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

You couldn't make it up , I see you're all for "drinkers" rights ! But not human rights like , life , liberty, education ! Unreal !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I didn't do any victim blaming in that post. But maybe I should. Gazans chose Hamas as their leaders out of their free will. 

Children don't vote. They don't know full well anything. Hitler didn't vote them in either. He died 80 some years ago, he's not relevant right now.

Nobody currently under the age of 34 in Gaza has ever voted either. That's the majority of the country.

I don't remember if when we overthrew the Nazis that we slaughtered thousands of kids in Germany without restraint as though they bore the sins of the fathers. I'm very certain they got put on trial, those Nazis, and it was the children, treated with a modicum of understanding and dignity, who were allowed to forge a future again. And what we did to the Japanese, if we're keeping the ISIS tab up, is definitely worse than anything ISIS has pulled off. Or Hamas for that matter: the Allied forces, well the US, burned a lot of children alive, the greatest mass casualty events in recorded history. But hey at least, their hands weren't tied, they were just born beyond their free will to an empire that was doomed to failure. Oh well the Nagasaki and Hiroshima kids voted for it, according to this form of saying that those children being bombed tonight bear the sins of Hamas butchers. As long as the 'greater good is served,' the 'lesser evil' is let on.

Water is a human right. (Except in the United States, where terms and conditions apply)

And ... this whole thread is concerned with human rights like "life" "liberty" etc. and yes, the right to education is also under attack in Israel, which has gone mentioned in the media though it admittedly doesn't get enough attention here:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're acting as a cheerleader for the commission of war crimes. In your world, the way the people of Gaza are going to be "re-educated" is when your favourite far right regime unleashes an unmerciful blitzkrieg on them - they will be so terrorised and traumatised by the ensuing death and destruction that they will see the error of their ways.

• Advertisement

Those same "kids" indoctrinated with twisted ideology, it takes a special kind of evil to persuade a kid to strap himself/ herself with explosives and detonate it on a bus !

Those "same" kids? Proof? What bus bombing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure what your point is there @Overheal? The allies commited numerous what we now call war crimes on German civilians and worse again on the Japanese. Israel is at least making an effort limiting civilians deaths. That's the complete opposite.

Of course innocent children died in all of the above. They are not to blame. But their parents, jubilantly voting for terrorist agressor regimes, are to blame when those glorious plans backfired and they lost the war. Germany and Japan accepted that, didn't point any finger and became very successful and peaceful countries after. I really hope the same will happen to the Palestinians.

'most of you will survive, so the beatings will continue until morale improves.'

I don't think you can defeat terrorism, with terrorism.

“the greatest mass casualty events in recorded history.”

Surely that would be Nazi Germanys depredations in Eastern Europe and Soviet Russia??

• Advertisement

A popular method of terror especially during the 90's !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Go back to the start of the thread, here are just a few:

"Hamas are correct to militarily engage the Zionist regime in Palestine. There is only Palestine, and Palestinians are brothers of the 32-County Irish and Basques."

"The thieves of Palestine have no rights."

"You could swap the word Isreal for the Britain. Palestinian for Ireland and Hamas for IRA.

Thats why a lot of Irish people support Palestinian cause."

"Fair play to Hamas for stepping up to the mark"

I guess it's a hard statement to quantify so I retract it. A lot of people dying in an instant flash, vs. many more people dying over hours on a battlefield, or days or over months, systemically, in camps.

None of the children in question today were born in the 1990s. This is an irrelevant bit of victim blaming of children being bombed this very moment.

That's not what's happening. Israel are trying to defeat Hamas by legitimate military means. Within the framework of international humanitarian law. This is impossible without very substantial innocent civilian losses because Hamas operates from within civilian centres, they use human shields and hostages.

Let's all just hope the number of civilians (many of them children because of Gaza's very young population) is kept to a minimum by the time all Hamas terrorists have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So the video of the IDF tank shooting, pretty much point blank range at a car with a family in it.... They were... human shields?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

I am trying to research that.

I seem to remember an old Hamas slogan along the lines of "with our children we will...." accompanied by a picture of a Hamas fighter holding a young child or a baby wearing a suicide belt.

I tried to Google it but couldn't find it.

Did they actually carry out attacks like this?

Was it perhaps women suicide bombers using their (or someone else's) children to smuggle in a bomb into a crowded area

?

Ah the start of the thread where all the loony's, trolls etc... pop out and either get banned or disappear. Completely different than posters actively engaging on here that are Pro-Hamas. Unless those posters are still posting on here?

I don't see logically how that is true, I only logically see how it is expedient, that is, to bomb those targets in enemy territory which are hardened, allegedly, with civilian human shielding which is to say they are allegedly built under and around places civilians live and work. Rather than, take a less bullheaded approach, flooding tunnels with seawater, teargasses, etc. as some reports alleged they might do instead, when those tunnels are clearly understood to only contain combatants (and so say numerous posts on thread which demonstrate Hamas will not let civilians take refuge in the tunnels - the opposite of evidencing the use of human shields as a policy matter)

'legitimate military means' is objectively speaking, a very subjective standard.

Before making false accusations like that, please look at my post history on this thread and educate yourself on what is a war crime as defined by international humanitarian law. I have done nothing of the sort. In fact the opposite. I have called out war crimes commited by "good" countries like the USA

From what we can see so far, there have been no war crimes commited by Israel in this conflict.

• Advertisement

Good point, I have no idea if those tactics would work or not. I can only assume Israel is going for the most effective / efficient way of destroying Hamas. If they deliberately weren't, they would have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Analogies with the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945 and as a way of defeating Hamas are not good ones IMO. The Netanyahu regime seems extremely corrupt and amoral and accusations that it is an apartheid state seem accurate (nobody is denying that Hamas themselves are an evil terrorist group, but that doesn't make the regime the 'good guys' in this conflict for a moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I don't what is going on here in this post, but it sounds like an emotional response or by someone who consumes a lot of Fox News version of the world. Half the population were not born at the last election and i would say a good chuck of the rest were still under age, so the minority alive voted for Hamas. I presume you know Bibi and the rest of the Israeli government actively pushed support to Hamas so they would win and strip power from the PLO. The PLO were secular, Hamas were born out of the Muslim Brotherhood, so the hand wringing you are doing about Islamic culture and buzz words if a bit rich when Israel itself helped create the monster. You would swear nothing ever happened up the North the way some people here are going on, as if we didn't have a direct example of a near apartheid state where the military and police forces only worked to protect one side and the others were 2nd class citizens in every way. Religion was used as shoe horn to keep the divide going. It is nearly a copy and paste job all the way down to the tactics of both sides. I am in no way justifying the attacks on October 7th but the war did not start then, just like the Bush administration after 9/11, the IDF and the Israeli government are jumping for joy as now they get their green light to kill people at will.

I mean look at the hostages, not one iota is given about them by the IDF, they even planted far right activists at the meeting with Bibi to say they should continue with the murderous campaign as their child would want it to happen and the likes. If Hamas were wiped out tomorrow I would be happy but there is absolutely no justification for killing thousands of innocent civilians people to get at them, none. Only a very sick individual would want it to happen. For those that claim that Hamas are cowards for using human shields and hiding in the population, be okay if the British, while pursuing republican terrorists, parked a battle ship off the coast and shelled the hell out of Dublin and Belfast just to get a small number of individuals, no you wouldn't but because the people of Gaza are seen as less than human and a darker colour it is perfectly fine, I mean, why don't they just move to the other side of their box (where they are been airstriked as well) and take shelter. Who needs food and water anyway.

So an IDF tank blowing up civilians in a car, restricting aid into Gaza and bombing aid centers are not war crimes?

They are happening, whether you choose to believe them or not is another thing.

I don't disagree with that. We need a far more pliable Israeli regime, like we had with Rabin, to setup a lasting peaceful co-existance in the area

Eh, killing children is a war crime, especially in disproportion.

The humanitarian principles of distinction and proportionality require fighters to distinguish between combatants and civilians, and they prohibit civilian damage beyond the scope of military advantage. However, because of the changing nature of conflict, this principle is eroding among armed forces and groups and children are often killed and injured in the course of military operations, including in cross-fire, aerial bombardment and shelling. Although thousands of children are injured and killed during military operations, many are also victims of landmines and unexploded ordnance. Another worrisome trend is the rise in suicide attacks, and the use of children to carry them out.

The Israelis have children too and I'm sure get no satisfaction from a child's death , but Hamas don't value life sending boys out to throw stones knowing it could get them killed just shows how dispensable their lives are ! I wonder if its Hamas leaders kids being sacrificed ! Most of their leaders live very well in Qatar far from the carnage !

So Hamas forcing boys to throw stones is the bad thing.... not the IDF solider shooting them dead?

You not see one maybe a little disproportionate? Maybe in your world stones are more lethal than bullets?

Sticks & stones may break my bones, but my 50 cal will kill you.

• Advertisement

Well, based on what I've seen, they are deliberately choosing the way that isn't the most effective or most efficient but makes them feel the most feelings. And I think they will indeed have a lot to answer for, and I think that's reflected in Bibi's poll numbers and questions from the media about him resigning. His poll numbers were already incredibly bad before this happened and he hasn't caught the same big wave of support GWB did after 9/11, about half of Israelis don't want an escalated war with Gaza. None of them want to hear more reports about more dead children.

Advertisement