Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you remember what happened between Rabin and Bibi?

That's how far away we are from peaceful de-escalation. Co-existence was never an endgame option for Bibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

There were 4 kids killed on the West Bank last week in one day by snipers for throwing stones, Hamas has no control there. Tuesday night somewhere in Dublin, I predict youths will throw stones at the emergency services when they come to put out bonfire. Should they all be shot? Is it Fine Gaels fault kids are out throwing stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Please, it was me who mentioned international humanitarian law in this thread many times and its main measure, being proportionality. The latter is almost out of the window though when the other party is using human shields and hostages. In other words, in the current Gaza situation, it would be near impossible to convict the IDF of war crimes even if there were many tens of thousands of civilian deaths

RESOLVED, Gards to begin kneecapping little scrotes. /s

(I've... read posts in the past where people have more or less argued for this or other corporal street-punishments unironically)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

I don't know about babies ! While I've no gra for religion I do remember the quote " it's better a man had not lived if he corrupts innocence! As I said , it's selective irish memory that despite all the recent terror attacks there's no outrage , just look at sligo ! A mind poisoned by hate !

• Advertisement

So your response to hostages and human shields is to bomb everyone? Collective punishment is a war crime also. I cannot believe anyone could in this day and age support this tactic. If your mother was kidnapped, you would want the guards to blow up the apartment block she is in? Makes no sense unless you like people being killed and just want revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Oh, so now we need a conviction before we acknowledge war crimes have happened?

In your eyes no war crimes have happened in Ukraine? Zero convictions etc....

Now, directly firing on a family in a car with a tank... that's not a war crime until they are convicted? Tank vs fleeing car..... how is that proportionate?

Co-existence was never an option for Netanyahu? That's a pretty outrageous claim. Do you realise what that implies?

It was in his own party's charter for example:

"The right of the Jewish people to the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable and is linked with the right to security and peace; therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty."

If he has an idea of coexistence it's that Jewish citizens are first class citizens and other citizens are secondary and if there are to be others in coexistence, it is under the eternal rule of Israel.

Now the only 'outrage' I anticipate is 'DYM he wants to genocide 2.3 million people?' No he either doesn't dream of stomaching it or couldn't dream of pulling it off, no they've explicitly called on them to leave instead under threat of force (ie. Ethnic Cleansing).

Otherwise I don't know what exactly you are inferring I am implying.

Nope. And I have no reason to believe the IDF are just bombing everyone. Israel means business though and I can imagine their aim is to destroy Hamas in Gaza. At whatever cost. Every innocent civilian life lost in this is terrible though. We as the international community should do all we can to minimise this loss.

• Advertisement

There are enough independent eyes that they could never get away with 'just bombing everyone' no, that's why the intensified focus on ethnically cleansing them from the north of Gaza at a minimum. Yet, we continue to ask very little of the IDF in terms of evidence on a case by case basis even as they declare hundreds, 450-600+ targets hit a night. To this point: if we're doing all we can to minimize this loss, for each and every one of those 600+ targets a night, we need to ask the Israeli government: "what is your evidence?" Every civilian life lost is terrible, so for every civilian life there should be at the very least: a receipt, showing they were terribly and without a doubt a victim of being a human shield, instead of automatically written off as one as per political contrivance.

Aye, I agree the west bank is a problem that will need major acceding from Israel. Netanyahu / Likud are not helping here.

It doesn't work like that. The evidence works the other way around. Technically Israel could bomb the bejaysus out of Gaza, killing hundreds of thousands of people, as long as Hamas is there, operating from civilian areas and using civilians / human shields and no war crime would be commited.

Let's hope it won't play out like that, let's hope the Gazans move to the very south in relative safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

It all comes back to indoctrination , be a martyr and heaven awaits with Virginis for your pleasure ! What I hate is the corruption , why not go to a.music festival and meet a virgin there , instead of blindly following a creed that warps , the church did the same here , they're 600 years behind Christianity , I just hope they're only a generation away from realising there's more to life ! A two state solution is the only way , so long as iran & proxies are willing to acknowledge Israels right to exist and stop "looking for every jew behind every rock " !

"At whatever cost", We know it is the most densely populated area in the world, you couldn't throw a football in without hitting someone, so you know this, I know this and the IDF know this, but still continue to do double figure airstrikes. That is murder of innocent people, that is collective punishment, that is a war crime. If Hamas were driving around in technicals and the IDF did an airstrike hitting it and the wreckage crashed into a house, killing someone, I would look more favourably on it, as it is an accident, but targeting a house or building knowing that innocent people are adjacent to it or even in said building is murder, no ifs or buts. The IDF are choosing this method, it is premediated. You are saying civilian life lost is terrible but then seeming to say what else can be done, carrying water for the IDF. What should the international community do? Support Israel? Boycott them? Exile them like Russia?

Please educate yourself. As terrible as the civilian death toll is, there is no war crime here.

I'm not suggesting that they would be violating a current applicable law of war, I'm just suggesting what the standard of expectation should be raised to if we are to say we're doing everything we can as an international community to minimize innocent civilian casualties. If they want to win a PR war, they ought to be able to show good receipts. The IDF however is historically hostile to being audited or investigated by third parties.

Gazans are entrenched about leaving because Likud etc. have, historically, not shown any propensity for giving Palestinians rights of return, with many refugee camps, from previous wartime breakouts, still unresolved and being hit as targets in this current war.

Unless someone tells him no, Bibi will occupy north Gaza indefinitely.

Great post and I hope people will catch on to your optimism. Indeed it's all about people giving up on their ridiculous religious mantras. When they do (like Ireland did), the opportunities are endless. Gaza could become a super holiday destination!

The United States is emphasizing that Hamas’s move to use Palestinian civilians as human shields in Gaza does not excuse Israel from its responsibility to protect civilians - White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan

Israel still has a responsibility to protect civilians. They can't just bomb the fuvk out of Gaza and say Hamas is there.

Maybe they will say Hamas was in the car that got shot point blank by a tank, maybe you buy that thankfully most people don't.

Indeed. Israel has a huge responsibility to do whatever it can to protect civilians and not kill them.

• Advertisement

An you think so far, the IDF are doing that in Gaza?

If to make us feel any better, just know that even people who do tightrope PR for a living are having a **** dreadful experience navimigating this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just want to give my thoughts on what I have observed on this war between Israel and Gaza.

This war has shown to us how the extreme levels of violence has gone way too far between the two countries. I have seen a news report from CNN that had shown horrific footage of a large black labrador being gunned down to death by Hamas gunmen that were killing innocent people in a kibbutz just after the terrorist attack had occurred at the music festival in Israel. It was a horrible thing to see an attack of that magnitude unfold on TV. I have never thought that the level of violence being inflicted by Hamas at that point was going to bring so much devastation to so many innocent people.

And it doesn't stop there when it comes to children being killed, injured or taken hostage in this conflict. The UN were quoting figures earlier last night to say that 420 children were being killed or injured in Gaza every day. 20 children are held as hostages are out in the West Bank. The UN said that the fate of those innocent children in The West Bank is currently unknown. That in itself is a huge travesty. It is not just adults who are being impacted by this war; it is children as well.

The Palestinian branch of Save The Children charity has said that 20,000 civilians have been killed in this conflict to date. 1 in 3 of those are children. They say that equates to one child being killed every 10 minutes. And that is grim news for Gaza because it has one of the youngest populations in the world.

Nowhere is currently being regarded as being safe for people in Gaza due to the consistent attacks that are coming from Israel. People are afraid of their lives out there at the moment. There is no safe way for them or their families to actually leave their own country right now. It has multiples of grim statistics coming down the tracks and this level of constant bombardment from Israel is only just the start of it.

Netanyahu is not granting a ceasefire to Gaza because, in his words and probably from the words of his own government, it would be seen as "a surrender to Hamas". Netanyahu is going to have the same legacy as being a war criminal just like Putin in Russia if he does not make any effort to end his own reign of destruction against the people of Gaza now.

I just cannot understand why Hamas did the terror attack on Israel on October 7th.

Why did Hamas inflict an undeniable level of pain and misery upon innocent people at that music festival when the consequences for doing so was so going to be so grave when they had struck first on their nearest enemy. Did Hamas not understand at the time that if they did this attack on Israel; they would get the fullest brunt of punishment possible from Netanyahu's government and army without any form of mercy?

The people of Gaza are now stuck with the reality that their own country is now being bombed to oblivion from their nearest enemy that they cannot have a realistic chance to defend themselves properly against the likes of Israel. There is no clear way out for Gaza to ease the tension against Israel in the short to medium term. It is going to be hell for the people of Gaza; and I just don't see how these two countries are going to resolve this war.

Things like more humanitarian aid going into Gaza & the current negotiations to get foreign citizens out of Gaza through a crossing at the Rafah border could act like small fry in this current war between the two countries. It all solely depends on what Netanyahu's words says at this point. If Netanyahu does not give any sort of credible decision making process in making these two things possible. Gaza would be doomed for an eternity if he says no to these means of credible negotiation.

As a somewhat militant atheist, even I find this analysis offensive. As above what religion are the scrotes tomorrow night going to justify their stones throwing. If you grew up in oppressive prison, you may find religion too. Look at the people in The Joy that find it. It is a nice crutch to have if you have nothing else. Religion is only part of the problem but if it disappeared tomorrow we would still have a fairly similar issue. Instead of muslim and jew you would just have the "other". In the West Bank, depending on your location, you could have to pass through a load of checkpoints to get to work. Imagine how annoying that alone would be. You drive up the M50 every morning getting stopped 6 times so you have to leave 6 hours earlier, and even then could be refused for an arbitary reason. You would be raging. Now imagine your sister was shot by the IDF for peacefully protesting, your brother was arrested and held without charge and your cousins were all killed in an airstrike in Gaza. Now you return home after a very long day and a load of settlers have moved into your house and the IDF is protecting them. Would you think throwing a few stones would be warranted here? It is like the Americans that fantasize about Red Dawn, where they get invaded and wage a guerilla war against the occupiers, then in real life they go to Iraq and complain about the locals rebelling.

A very fine and mighty example of playing the anti-semitism card:

Not that I mind the clean killing of military objectives, and have little to no tolerance of the killing of civilians, technically therefore I don't support a ceasefire if civilian casualties are zeroed. However, suggesting you're an antisemite if you don't support more bombing etc. I feel like this is familiar. Too familiar..

Not anywhere near the level they should have. They should have made more effort getting Palestinian civilians to move south. They should have let more international aid in through the Rafah entrance. Shame on Israel, they really should have done better here.

So if they haven't done what they can to protect civilians, failed in their responsibility to protect civilians and those civilians have died.... isn't that a war crime?

They either were responsible preventing civilian deaths or they were not. The latter being a crime.

Do I have to link a source giving the description of what a war crime is and then overlay this to what Israel is doing for you? Seriously dude you have been told several times in the last 2 pages, yet you ignore it and throw your hands up saying what can we do. This is text book cognitive dissidence.

I will list a few key ones that are relevant to Israel with regards for Gaza

1. Wilful killing
    2. Wilfully causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or health;
    3. Wilfully depriving a prisoner of war or other protected person of the rights of fair and regular trial;
    4. Unlawful deportation or transfer or unlawful confinement;
    5. Intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking direct part in hostilities;
    6. Intentionally directing attacks against civilian objects, that is, objects which are not military objectives;
    7. Intentionally directing attacks against personnel, installations, material, units or vehicles involved in a humanitarian assistance or peacekeeping mission in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, as long as they are entitled to the protection given to civilians or civilian objects under
    8. Intentionally launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects or widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated;
    9. Attacking or bombarding, by whatever means, towns, villages, dwellings or buildings which are undefended and which are not military objectives;
    10. Declaring that no quarter will be given;

They should have done better. But they did quite a lot. I doubt their general approach can be seen as a war crime, but I'm not a lawyer.

• Advertisement

So... "qualified immunity?"

IIRC Israel doesn't consent to the ICC. Too restrictive?

Advertisement