Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The rest of us gave up months ago, but better late than never. Glad to have you with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The real shame of it is, if we looked like we had ourselves together, it'd be a great season to take a proper tilt at the title with RWC disruption and hangover affecting the URC teams that provide the majority of international teams (Leinster, Bennetton, Glasgow etc).

Instead, we surrendered six tries to Zebre.

Team against the Bulls:

(1-8) Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (C), Kieran Treadwell, Dave Ewers, Dave McCann, Nick Timoney;

(15-9) Will Addison, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Jude Postlethwaite, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak.

Replacements: John Andrew, Callum Reid, Greg McGrath, Cormac Izuchukwu, Marcus Rea, Dave Shanahan, Stewart Moore, Mike Lowry.

Thank god we've got TOT available.

Pretty unbalanced back row with Marcus on the bench. Plenty of good support lines, though.

Happy to see Reid, Izzy and Moore on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some good things some s**** things

The good...

TOT back, I wonder if he was really meant to be back so soon or is this a case of desperation, either way he way will help

Al back in the row

Postlethwaite at 12, this kid is good

Baloucoune back

The bad...

Keep McCann at 8. He went pretty well last week, he should be the future, pick him at 8 amd keep him there, play Timoney at 7.

Where's Flannery? Fine they want to start Billy, but leaving Flannery out completely seems a waste given (I thought anyway) he went well with ball in hand last week. A it more consistency would be a good thing in selection IMO.

The Vanilla...

Addison at 15, he was rusty as hell last week, but I'm not going to be top down on him for obvious reasons. Buy let's hope he has shaken of some of that rust against a very good Bulls side.

• Advertisement

Yea I must be missing something with the backrow, McCann was introduced to the team at 7 and was poor, only started coming along when he's played 8. I'm glad both are starting over the Rea brothers but Timoney has played 7 for Ireland so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Postlethwaite and Hume is a fairly slow centre pairing, I could see defence being an issue there but I'm excited nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Better start that I thought we'd have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ulster saying to themselves can they knock the ball on more than Munster did today.

I always wonder do Ulster want to lose? It's the only logic for selecting Addison who must be a double agent at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Addison had a good start to the game. Was a great player before his injury. Had a poor game last week, but the guy was out for 2 years... some rustiness is to be expected.

• Advertisement

Whisper it, but Stockdale looks sharp and physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

What a great game of Rugby this is. Ulster are unrecognisable from last week. Good defence and some sweet attack.

Stockdale on fire.

Bulls are very cute when they concede penalties and get away with or get away with getting a yellow.

Oh sweet baby Jesus get Addison the f**k off the field. He had a bet on Zebre last week and must have a bet on the Bulls this week.

*They listened!

Is Doak having a laugh?

I wouldn't be against bringing Doak off tbh

The Bulls really are so cute at the breakdown. What they doing is totally illegal but they know the ref wont penalise them without a warning meaning they've at the very least slowed down the Ulster ball or put them under enough pressure that they might make mistakes. Ulster at the other hand are so blatant when they try to do likewise and as a result will always get penalised.

Well that was good. Excellent game of Rugby. Very entertaining.

O'Toole man of the match.

Good match, much better performance than last week, but still a lot of handling errors.

Great defence at the end. I don't want to jinx him but Jacob looks on it this season. McCann and Timoney very good. O'Toole is becoming a huge player for us.

Two wins, one fortuitous and then a decent win tonight. The next two weeks are huge tests and will tell us a lot more about where Ulster are. I'm not too confident still, but at least they are playing some decent rugby.

Need to tidy the breakdown up though and tighten up the lineout.

• Advertisement

So, on our youngsters -

McCann looks to have bulked up and I think his general play has more of an edge to it. Alert and a bit more bullish. Good start to the season from him. Influential (in a positive way) with a number of his interventions - last turnover was crucial.

Stewart excellent, as with O'Toole, but neither are breaking through this season - their next hurdle is to become starters. So not really what we're taking about here.

Doak showed his skillset, but was ponderous against the Bulls especially. Maybe we need our back row to be cuter, but he's quite capable of spinning the ball away in a very quick and assured way, and there was some frustratingly slow ball over the last couple of weeks.

Izzy was powerful and effective.

Postlethwaite showed some of those nice flourishes that make people excited for him, as well as being pretty combative.

Sheridan looked unfazed when he came on; very comfortable.

Reid was fine. Scrum looked weaker but don't know if that was him or Andrew or possibly TOT tiring. Ned to watch on TV.

After the Bulls' second try, it was noticeable that it was Stockdale that gathered everyone in and talked for about a minute before O'Connor added some thoughts. Jacob seems to be becoming a real leader in the squad. Would love to see a Stocknaissance.

Sheridan needs to be further up the pecking order than he is, we certainly can't be having Matty Rea picked ahead of him in the second row again.

The next two weeks will be a step up because of the nature of those games. Two wins and we might go better than I was expecting, lose both and I'll be worried. Win one and lose one and we will be none the wiser.

Agree on Stockdale being a leader, just in general he was showing positive signs at the back end of last season which earned him a shot at the WC squad, but it was still a bit patchy, but on Sunday he genuinely looked like the Stockdale of 2017-2019. He seems to be in a good place. Missing out on the WC might be the best thing that ever happened to him (think D'Arcy in 2003 anf Tommy Bowe in 2007 and how they responded) but let's see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought it was a decent performance, but we still lacked grunt in the periods when we couldn't fling the ball around at will. Our one out phases was the same old story of static players going nowhere or getting smashed backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Medical report is dire reading! We’ve basically lost the pack.

Ewers & Izuchukwu return to play protocols

Treadwell hip injury

O’Toole going for surgery

Glad we’re well stocked at props….

O'Toole out is the biggest problem. Neither McGrath nor French looks able to even hold their own in the scrum.

Worryingly, the two scrum penalties were soundly on Reid. I mean, its the Bulls, they can put on real pressure, but he didn't look like he had any control at all

Losing O'Toole is a massive blow. Maybe Moore will be back soon. I think we're in big trouble without TOT. One of our best performers on Sunday was Nick Timoney, he made some great carries off the back of the scrum. He can't do that if we've no TH of distinction. I'd be worried about this injury.

The rest we can cope with.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McGrath and French against Buckley.

😂

Going to be a tough game this.

A losing bonus point would be a great result.

I wonder if Scott Wilson is too junior to get a crack?

It's a great question. Given the amount of AIL/fringe provincial props we've signed we seem desperate not to play him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Looking at what players we have available I'd be happy at staying within 15 points of them!

It really is depressing look at our forwards depth, not even Henderson being allowed to play is gonna rescue us with that potential pack injury list.

Advertisement