Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about opening a dispute with my landlord/real estate agency via RTB. Any advice?

Options
  • 22-10-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm paying almost 900 euro in a Non-Capital city for 1 bedroom apartment. I live on my own.

When I moved in I was promised some changes to be done but things haven't turned out that way. Even though I've claimed it several times, they would just go on with the BS and not doing nothing despite telling me otherwise. The list goes on and on:

• Built-in wardrobe full of mould on its ceiling. I managed to clean it with white vinegar, bicabornate and santrax but it needs a proper work with isolating materials.
    • Really old storage heaters that don't work properly.
    • Appliances as oven, hobs and extraction fan are at least 25-30 years old. This leads to low-efficiency power performance that skyrockets my bills to the roof. Charcoal in the extractor is in terrible condition, full of grease in the inside and the filter is outworn. Oven is unasable full of dirt that was left by the "professional cleaning" that was meant to set the apartment ready. Hob and oven knobs power levels totally worn off.
    • Humidity has already started to condensate in the inside of my window. Literally, I have water on the base of my window every morning now the cold weather is coming back.
    • They refused to provide with a dryer machine after changing the broken dual washing/drying machine - they waited until I'd reported it when I was already moved-in.

Furthermore, came accross with this guidelines from RTB and there few more things that I haven't been provided with - but honestly I couldn't care less about microwaves and things like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭themoone

@skarman11

I want to comment on the last few issues you raised.

Re. Damp and mold

Ireland is a very wet country by nature, the level of humidity in the air is very high I think around 95% at this time of the year. The problem with mould is quite common and although part of it is the responsibility of the landlord the Government also advises that a tenant must play an active role in preventing the accumulation of condensation which is the major cause of damp in Ireland.

These are the guidelines for the tenant:

"As a tenant, you must make sure that the ventilation in your home is looked after. This is because you have a responsibility to look after your rented home. It will also help keep you comfortable and healthy.

To look after your ventilation:

• keep air vents clear and unblocked.
    • use the mechanical extraction ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens.
    • open windows during the day.
    • make sure your home is heated.
    • dry clothes outdoors (not in your home).
    • When the condensation accumulates on the window dry it up with a piece of kitchen paper or J-cloth and dispose of it immediately (Condensation forms on the windows in my home and I clean it up regularly) Although we have the vents open we have increased the heat and that seems to have reduced the amount of condensation so maybe that is something you can look into. I know you mentioned the heaters are old so that might be something that needs looking into.

You mentioned a clothes dryer. Have they replaced the broken washer/dryer and if so why do you think they should provide a dryer as well?

Post edited by themoone on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Before you complain make sure you have put your complaints in writing and asked for matters to be attended to. Were you told the BER in the initial advertisement?

What is a non-capital city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If he hanst supplied anything he is obliged to supply then give him the list of the things and let him supply them. If he doesnt then go to the RTB.

I rented various places for over 10 years. I had all the problems you have.

For mold I bleached it as soon as it appeared and kept an eye on it and bleached it again at the first sign.

I used to change the filters in the extractors myself. You can order them on amazon.

I dont think I ever moved into a place with a properly clean over or hob. A bit of elbow grease will sort that for you too.

The most important thing I ever did though was by myself a decent dehumidifier. A proper full size one. And I took it with me to every place i ever loved too. Everyone should own one of them. Set it to 50% and just leave it on all winter. If it was cold enough for condensation on the windows, the dehumidifier went on and didnt get plugged out until the next summer. Leave it on low when you are in and put it to high when you are going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Built-in wardrobe full of mould on its ceiling. I managed to clean it with white vinegar, bicabornate and santrax but it needs a proper work with isolating materials.

You can buy mold spray in woodies, that's what they will uses

Really old storage heaters that don't work properly.

Storage heaters are crap, you need to learn how to uses them. They weren't hidden from you when you saw the place. Suck up.

Appliances as oven, hobs and extraction fan are at least 25-30 years old. This leads to low-efficiency power performance that skyrockets my bills to the roof. Charcoal in the extractor is in terrible condition, full of grease in the inside and the filter is outworn. Oven is unasable full of dirt that was left by the "professional cleaning" that was meant to set the apartment ready. Hob and oven knobs power levels totally worn off.

They weren't hidden from you when you saw the place, if they work then you need to live with them. Buy new filters and clean the oven. It will take you less time than going to the RTB

Humidity has already started to condensate in the inside of my window. Literally, I have water on the base of my window every morning now the cold weather is coming back.

Buy a dehumidifier and ventilate

They refused to provide with a dryer machine after changing the broken dual washing/drying machine - they waited until I'd reported it when I was already moved-in.

Can you dry clothes out side, I find it odd you are complain about in efficient cooking appliance but want to run a dryer

Furthermore, came accross with this guidelines from RTB and there few more things that I haven't been provided with - but honestly I couldn't care less about microwaves and things like that.

This sounds like your only valid complaint. But is it worth going to the RTB. If you are in the first 6 months of the lease and I was your LL I'd be ending the lease and wishing you good bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skarman11

I bet you're just an old-ass landlord from the babyboom generation with few properties rented :) there is no other explanation to be this dumbass.

Did you ever read the initial post in the first place? I'm taking care of it as a good tenant because the LL in this freaking country does not take care of their homes and get away with it.

The storage heaters weren't hidden from me. But how would I check storage heaters functionality in summer when I moved in, champ?

The crappy appliances were promised to be cleaned and set for a new person to move in. A professional cleaner "was sent".

Dry clothes outside, you're a joker lad. I have to dry inside with windows open and dehumidifier, only way. A dryer would solve drying problems when it comes to bed sheets or towels. I really wonder about the hygiene of your clothes if I have to explain this.

If I were a tenant who does not give a ****, I'd just dry inside with no regard of humidity inside of the house and ruin my LL's walls and then leave the place.

• Advertisement

Yup. Already did.

Bought a small one but does not work that well, so I just went for the big one. Also some thermometer with humidity indicator to try mantaining %HR between 40 and 60.

Had all that into account lad. I claimed the dryer because the previous washing machine had that function. But the plumber that replaced it advise them to get me a separate dryer. So they just provided the washing machine and ignored the dryer as "there is no space for a dryer" in the apartment.🤷‍♂️

The small ones are trash. Make sure you have big desiccant one. By far the best.

This is the one I have.

Between that and a dose of bleach on any mold as soon as I see i I havent had mold in a lot of years now anywhere ive lived. Even in the parents house now that i brought that dehumidifier and leave it on, the bathroom and the kitchen dont get mold anymore. One of the bedrooms does because i sleep in it and work from it so in it all day and all night and ive been cleaning it to keep it at bay, but i think it needs a new dehumidifier especially for that room anyway. Ordered one yesterday so should arrive this week.

The main thing about mold is that if you let it get a grip you are screwed. It will spread into wardrobes and other rooms and everything through the air. Bleach it as soon as you see the first dot of it.

You are entitled to a drier if you have no outside space to dry clothes.

Also if you dont like the storage heaters (I love them because when you use them properly they save you a fortune) buy a heater that you do like. You get good ones with timers and thermostats, even wifi ones these days fairly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Send your requests in writing to the LL to start off with. This will make sure there is no confusion on what you asked for and when if there ever is a case in front of the RTB.

You need to consider the impact of opening a case with the RTB. It could mean the LL deciding he/she has had enough and wants to sell up etc. Is the impact of the items you outlined worth loosing a tenancy which may be very hard to replace. Self help or just looking for an alternative place at your own pace, may be a better option for you.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. Welcome to one of the unintended consequences of price controls in the rental market. You have a serious undersupply and so no real choices to move somewhere else if you dont like it, and the LL has no financial incentive to make improvements (charge 900 for very minimum standards, or spend loads of money upgrading a property and still be limited to being able to charge 900).

This may be more about pragmatism than being in the right.

Advertisement