Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are pivoting now.

You clearly thought we had something and that one player or the choice to play one player 'cost' us what we had.

Entitlement all day long.

What actually happened is we entered a competition and lost to the eventual finalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Line outs were becoming a bit of a lottery in several games inc the final. Barely any separation at times, you could see the attacking team shuffling sideways a bit to make space before the throw while the defending team was encroaching. The officials seem to have been directed to ref the scrums strictly but let any old disruption & carry on happen in line outs, partic early in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have absolutely no interest in your wierd 'entitlement' argument

Agree, it was a mess area in quite a few games.

Nothing weird about it.

It infected quite a bit of the support. You aren't alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't think there m/any saying we were entitled to win the RWC, there are some who thought had we won a QF then we'd surely get to the final because of the possibilities of who's we'd meet in the SF

There's also very little wrong with anyone having the view that we should have tried a fresh player in the final 15-10 minute over a tired & ineffectual player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It was a farce. It became the Jonny Sexton show. It was a suffocating situation for the squad and the coaching team were too weak to do anything about Saint Jonny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes Farrell is well known in rugby circle to be very weak...wait sorry not sure if I got that right

• Advertisement

Lucky you

Pat Spillane X

The Independent Major X

If you reveal that you felt 'someone' lost something we didn't have and never had, then you 100% felt 'entitled'.

No problem with you 'having a view'. Trying to promote the narrative that there wasn't a competing view from a more informed standpoint, is the problem here. Sexton was not replaced for a reason, it wasn't oversight, incompetence or because the player has too much power.

Give the management some respect and work out why their view might have been more credible.

If you reveal that you felt 'someone' lost something we didn't have and never had, then you 100% felt 'entitled'.

What the actual fcuk?

Give the management some respect and work out why their view might have been more credible.

I hope this isn't addressed at me because if you think I don't have HUGE respect for Farrell then you know nothing about me. FWIW, I don't believe he's infallible either.

Yes, a poster said it.

'they lost us a World Cup'

Go on, tell us how you lose something you never had?

I hope this isn't addressed at me because if you think I don't have HUGE respect for Farrell then you know nothing about me. FWIW, I don't believe he's infallible either.

Your definition of respect is different to mine I guess. I certainly would not be making out that a coach I respect overlooked/ignored/acted out of fear of a player's status etc

I accept he was in a better position than me to judge what was required and what he wanted, and that is fine.

I haven't read Pat Spillane's coloum as I don't subscribe to The Irish Independent (and even if I did I probably wouldn't read it).

Rugby does tend to have more collegial punditry but I'd put that down to it being a product of the mutual respect that has been core to 'rugby values'.

If Spillane thinks that Irish rugby is lacking because it's pundits are less critical then he should avoid watching it. Perhaps he'd enjoy a more 'rassie' type approach.

• Advertisement

Now you are making things up.

I respect the decision he made was not on the basis of incompetence/or pressures other than trying to win the game or that I am smarter than him.

He made a decision, it didn't work out. I am not going to waste my time fantasising about it.

e.g., Sexton threw many passes to players in that phase, one to Gary Ringrose, who failed to break the line when he would have in another game. Are my knives out for Ringrose or Farrell for not picking someone else or replacing him?

Did I believe that AF had proved himself capable in his role and that his decisions were to be respected, yes.

Do I think that I'm able to comment on other peoples fallibility, no. Respect & (blind) faith are not the same thing.

AF earned my respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

What's everyone complaining about? As the captain said "we won". It doesn't matter that we fell at the first hurdle yet again. The real trophy was the friends we made along the way. They're all heroes.

Sure let's just thrash everything and throw the toys because we didn't get what we were entitled to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It’s a rugby forum. People are going to discuss coaches decisions. Some are going to disagree with those decisions.

The implication that anyone doing so is “wasting their time fantasising about it” is a bit on the condescending side tbh.

• Advertisement

And those second guessing a coach's in-game decision from the pub/sofa or side line on the basis that he overlooked or ignored Sexton's fatigue are being what exactly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

For those like me who respect Farrell, does that mean from now on we can't question his team selection, the timing of substitutions, etc?

We may as well close down the rugby forum if that is what people want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's the crux of the matter. No adapting to the kiwis closing the gap and the inability to fix whatever problems Porter has.

Carberry was getting the minutes when he was healthy. Healy was also eating up minutes. Crowley was 3rd choice at Munster! Ireland's problem was that Carberry is not a good out half. Yet he was Sextons back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

You're right, for one of the top rugby nations in the world, winning just one knockout game in 10 World Cups is far too much to ask for. How entitled of me to expect the team to get past the first hurdle just once.

And it is condescending to suggest that it was anything other than a decision based on his info, experience and the demands of the situation.

To state that Sexton was fatigued and he 'should' have seen that or that he was afraid of Sexton's status etc, is to put yourself above him.

He took all the factors into consideration, made his in -game decision and it didn't work out. That's part of the job and par for the course.

Has 'asking' worked for you? Why don't you 'ask' again in 4 years time, sure if you ask you get eh?

Pay attention to this part of your post...'for one of the top rugby nations'

That's what we were and are. Just 'one' of the top nations and we came up against another of the top nations and it didn't go our way this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Funny how you keep harping on this, "dead on his feet" etc, yet nothing about all the other players who were shagged. Beirne caught a ball and gently laid down for a nap in the last sequence.

Can you throw out some analysis of how Sexton was bad exactly?

It's not rocket science, we had one sub left on the bench, the obvious replacement was a like for like swap, sub Sexton for the fresh Crowley

• Advertisement

Which you have no knowledge as to whether that would've done anything. The team marched down the field just fine with Sexton. We had an overlap out wide that Ringrose blew. A fresh McCarthy failed to clear out a ruck and that's all she wrote.

You and Akrasia are presuming everything positive for Crowley coming on and making a claim that Sexton was playing badly to justify it. Nothing to do with red tinted perspectivea I'm sure

and making a claim that Sexton was playing badly to justify it.

Really, I have previously highlighted areas in the last 10-15 minutes of Sexton's game where he was well below his own standard, he was well below the standard you'd want from an outhalf playing for their country in knockout rugby. If you can't see that then that's on you.

And how does that compare to the other players on the field? You want to hold him in isolation from the game being played. Every player on the pitch was shattered. I would dispute he was playing far below his standard. He helped orchestrate us moving the ball down the field at the death.

I'll repeat, there was only one sub unused, the sub was a replacement outhalf, the outhalf was a 38yo who at that time in the game was not up to his own standards. What's outrageous in suggesting he should have been subbed.

If Joe McCarthy was on the bench, I'd be saying why leave him on the bench when a lock was out on their feet.

If John Cooney was on the bench I'd be saying why not sub a tired scrumhalf.

This ^. We were still going forward when Whitelock didn't release and got the judgement. Young and inexperienced McCarthy's lack of a decisive clearout factored into that...but but Sexton.

Tired old record at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we keep been told it's a 23 man game subs are there to come on and have an impact.

yet in a QF which we lost we only used 22.

that doesn't sit well with me. no one has subs just for injuries any more. just seemed that there coastal loss of judgement at a crucial moment.

Well never know because that dice wasn't rolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If there was a spare 2nd row on the bench and Beirne was left on despite being exhausted I'd have been just as critical of that decision.

Sexton was mediocre all game and got worse as the game went on, his kicking and overall distribution was poor, he was too predictable in attack. If it was anyone else, you'd agree he had a 3 star game at best. It's not like he was holding the team together all on his own and Farrell couldn't bring him off because he was delivering so much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Aside from the rugby...I think one thing is clear once again and that is Ireland were the best fans of the tournament. I have talked to some French fiends and they could not get over the numbers of Irish fans who travelled. Not sure if there is an actual award handed out but think that's one we would win hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Advertisement

Did they have a 38yo playing for them? Did they win the match?

You say he was mediocre, without offering any examples of how. He was key to us fighting our way back into the game, where we were Jordie Barrett's thigh away from taking the lead. You're looking for a stick to beat Farrell with, regardless of the evidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD - Please avoid accusations of provincial bias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leaving Sexton, Earls and Healy out, here are the age profiles (in 2027) of the remaining 31 players from the squad:

Starting with the areas we look the strongest. We should be fine at fullback and at hooker.

Funny how time moves on too; we were always worried about producing locks. But I think this is an area of relative comfort for us. Ryan and McCarthy will still be around. Baird might also develop to be an option there. Munster have very high hopes for Edogbo and Ahern. Leinster also have Deeny coming through. One of Henderson and/or Beirne might also be around, though I'd be more skeptical about the latter, given how much punishment he takes in games. Four years to get the lineout sorted too.

Again, funny about time. Not so long ago it seemed as though Irish rugby had so many backrow forwards we didn't know what to do with them. But you can imagine POM, vdF and Conan will each struggle to make 2027. That's a heck of a lot of leadership and workrate that will need replacing. That said, Munster have very high hopes for Quinn and Gleeson. Kendellen, Hodnett and Coombes will also be looking to step up to international level. Less sure about what Leinster have coming through here? Connors, Deegan, Penny and Soroka all have the right age profile. Connors was certainly in the conversation once upon a time. You can imagine Cian Prendergast will also be a key player for us going forward. We should be OKish here?

Wings will look completely different in 2027, as I'd say Lowe will almost certainly be gone. But we could see JOB being deployed more there, and you'd hope that someone out of Daly, Nash or Baloucoune can step up. Shay McCarthly looks electric. One or two newbies together with Hansen and I think we should be fine. Would be great if someone develops into a legit kicking option (outside of JOB).

Between Crowley, the Byrnes and Prendergast, we should have decent competition at outhalf. The key here will be to resist temptations to compare players to Sexton, though I fear this might be inevitable.

Loosehead might be OK, if Paddy McCarthy comes along in time. Loughman will also be peaking as a prop in the coming four years. If Porter is still near his current level it's more likely that we'll be OK here. But there is risk.

Tighthead seems more of a lottery. We could theoretically still have both Furlong and Bealham, but just as likely have neither. Furlong's declining form is a worry in any case.

Midfield is become an area of greater concern. I think we'll be lucky if we still have two of those four centres playing at the highest level in 2027. In all likelihood only Ringrose will still be around and we'll see a good bit of overhaul here. Leinster seem high on Osbourne and Frawley might also be someone who can step up. Frisch will hopefully get some international minutes soon. Much is made about replacing Sexton, but if both Henshaw and Aki need replacing, they are comparably sized shoes to fill.

Scrum-half is also a worry. Murray will almost certainly be retired and JGP's game is so reliant on his pace that at 35 he may not be around either. Blade will be 33, possibly an option. Otherwise... all eyes on PFP?

tl:dr

Grand: Fullback, hooker, locks, backrow (probably)

Meeeh: Outhalf, loosehead, tighthead, wings

AAARRGH: Midfield, scrumhalf

(Usual caveats about it being hard to predict things four years out, there are always bolters out of the blue, etc. etc.)

Cathal Forde could be our 12. Superb looking prospect. Osborne also, although he could take the 13 jumper.

I'd like to think that one of Niall Murray or Ahern can make a case to get into the squad. Edogbo looks a beast as does Joe McCarthy. I doubt Henderson will be around come 27. A lot of mileage and his injury profile. Beirne could also be gone. James Ryan could still be around, depending on his concussion problems.

Blindside is loaded. Baird, Quinn, Deegan, Coombes, Sheridan to a lesser degree and Cian Prendergast. Not forgetting Soroka.

8 will be either Doris or Gleeson, imo. Conan won't be involved. Imo. Kendellen could be an option also, or Culhane.

9. Is a problem. I think it will be Casey or Blade. Maybe Doak?

Wings are fairly strong. Hanson; Stocker, JOB, TOB, Larmour, Kilgallen, Nash and Balacoune. Outside prospects, Aitzol King, Josh O Connor.

I reckon we'll be stronger in 4 years time.

I won't lie, Dubinusa, I'm a little disappointed this wasn't a 1500-word thesis on the emerging props!

• Advertisement

Oh I know you can !! 😂

(You'd struggle to keep it under 1500 words!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Wouldn't be the worst move if JOB will be deployed more on the wing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't know if we can read much into what Leinster are doing at the moment. Obviously Keenan will absolutely lock down the 15 position once he's back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement