Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for two wheelchair users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I wish I had one of those "high energy" dogs that only needs two walks a day! My dog goes out four times, always has. I'm worn out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I tried walking a Jack Russell once on a lead, and immediately he took off leaving me face down on a curb.

Strong little fellow - personally, I wouldn't consider getting one if there is any fear of pulling and falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Going to a local animal shelter open day tomorrow.

Hi all. We went to that open day on Sunday. We met with an adorable little female Jack Russell. We're going back on Thursday to have another look at her and speak with the volunteers again.

My question is, if we want to reserve the dog, how long are you allowed to reserve it for? We have holidays booked, and my Wife is looking after her nieces and nephew for the month of August, plus we have holidays booked for the end of September.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's completely down to the policy under which the rescue organisation works in this respect, so really, you need to address your enquiry to them directly.

• Advertisement

We went back up to the shelter today to meet with the volunteers and the dog. We completed an adoption form. They have agreed to hold onto her until September because we have holidays and other stuff arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

They will do that too

Hi all. I probably should have asked this ages ago, but how do you budget year on year for a dog's needs ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you have that much going on and are not able to take the dog for 3 months, then if I were you, I’d question whether you are ready to rehome a dog.

There will always be excuses why you can’t take the dog till x date.

What are you going to do next year when the same situation arises?

• Advertisement

Is there ever going to be a "right time" though?? Life's too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are the holidays and the family duties a regular thing, though? Or just one-offs this time?

Because if they're regular occurrences that you're not willing to compromise on, then I'd agree with others that dog ownership is just not compatible with your lifestyle. I don't doubt your desire and motivation, but square pegs and round holes spring to mind.

I would love nothing more than to have a big dog, I grew up with them - but my lifestyle (work and hobbies) is in no way amenable to dog ownership and I've just had to accept that (since I'm not willing to give up my current lifestyle - that may well change in the future though).

A dog is a HUGE tie.

What would you plan to do with the dog when you're next going on holidays, or family needs arise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I have a good job, no disability and a network of obliging dog-owning friends but I am still very tied down by the dogs. Part of that is my own stubborn refusal to ever put them in kennels again but there's also the commitment to giving them the routine and the exercise they need every single day.

They don't have a pause button. I can't say 'They'll be grand for now, I'll walk them properly/take them to the vet/feed them/groom them in October.' It's a commitment.

And that's before something happens and an unexpected expense comes up.

In fairness to the OP, they haven't done what lots of people do. Plenty of people want a dog so they get one from a backyard breeder and then start thinking about whether their lifestyle is suitable.

OP, I can see that you'd try your best to treat a dog very well but I really don't think there's room in your life for one.

The family thing is a one-off because my Wife's sister had no childminder available for the month of August. We haven't been away on holiday since before COVID.

We've put it on the backburner for the moment.

Have you told the rescue, who have been reserving a dog for you since early July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Insurance is important if you're on a tight budget

Yep

Yep

Yes we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sorry about the triple post above. We've just seen that the dog is still up for adoption. We can't commit to it though as my OH is still job hunting.

Couldn't believe she hasn't been adopted yet? She's an adorable little dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

HazeDoll, re: your last sentence - what makes you say that?

Personally I dint believe rescues should hold dogs as reserved for extended periods. Most of them won’t now, they have enough to do without entertaining tyre kickers.

Just phoned the shelter. The dog I was interested in has been adopted. :-(

Post edited by Mental Mickey on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Honestly, you should be happy for the dog getting a new home.

There's no shortage of dogs waiting for adoption.

• Advertisement

Advertisement