Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Healy won’t be playing for a while. Picked up a different injury in training last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Did she genuinely say that? I watched it yesterday with commentary off and thought it was a penalty no more. Ngatai bounced the player and he ended up making contact with Barrons shoulder as a result.

I think Neville is an appalling TMO. Always intervening and often making statements which are not objectively true. She ruled out a Portugal try against Australia a few weeks ago for ‘clear’ separation on grounding when there was no clear video evidence of it. It was probably the right decision on the basis of probability, but there was no clear angle and the referee reluctantly ruled it out as a result despite his on field decision being a try as she was so certain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Thought the yellow was very harsh from the stands. The decision took ages as well.

Thought TOB looked great yesterday. Really exciting player to watch. Hopefully he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah I thought she might have pointed out the mitigation of the bounce off Ngatai but the ref said something along the lines of "Yeah there is no mitigation" after she spoke to him and he was in agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They must have looked at it over 20 times. It was ridiculous how long it took. And then the wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

I don't think Neville did say "no mitigation". She had explained the contact was with Barron's left shoulder, but the ref asked again and as they reached the point of contact on the replay, I think Neville said "making contact now". The ref then seemed to mumble "mitigation", probably because he was already going through the process in his mind. He settled on an interpretation of low force because it was indirect contact from Ngatai's tackle. I thought it was the right decision with good process and good communication between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Watching this one back, I really am impressed with Barron. Not the most powerful lad but, he puts himself about. Pretty good darts too.

A much improved effort. Would the big Mike influence have effected this performance? If so, where does Clarkson fit in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Luke McGrath picked up a knee injury in the Glasgow game and is out for at least the next 8 weeks.

Very unfortunate for him, but there's now opportunity for Cormac Foley to step up. I thought the latter played well against the Sharks. Very quick to the ruck and has a snappy pass.

I'm deeply unperturbed by this. The Glasgow game is exactly the kind of game you want an experienced squad player like McGrath to step up in and he was fairly useless. JGP will be back soonish, and I'd frankly rather put the time into Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Foley is 24 now so really needs to step up this season if he's going to be someone who has a significant contribution to make to Leinster (and that doesn't have to be as a first choice player).

I don't think he's ever going to be a top player but he could give us something different. With his background as a centre, he's a bit more physical and a bigger unit than our other option who are all near identical in size. But at 90kg, Foley could be more in the Isaac Boss mould. I thought he was ok at the weekend in wet conditions and mixed up his kicking game fairly well too.

It looks like we might get one or two guys back this week from Irish duty with Baird, Conan and McCarthy all training yesterday although Conan appeared to be working independently of the squad for the most part.

With Edinburgh coming to town, I would be happy to see a little more mix and match. If we're bringing Baird and McCarthy back in then I'd be happy to see Culhane and Connors come into the backrow. Stick with the same front row but I'd be interested to see more of Rory McGuire. Boyle and McCarthy are getting the plaudits but it's more important right now for someone like McGuire to develop. He has looked solid so far and appears to have moved past Clarkson. If he gets the same level of game time that Clarkson did last season, it will be a good return. We don't produce too many 120kg+ props at 21. At 6'4", he probably has the scope to put on another few kilos too.

Edinburgh have the bulk of their Scottish players back now. I think they had 9 in their 23 at the weekend. Some big names to come back in this weekend potentially though in Graham. Ritchie, VDM and Schoeman. I would imagine they'll bring some of them back in but potentially rest others. They're hosting Connacht the following weekend and that's a big game for them in terms of the top 8.

Would be happy to see something along the lines of Boyle, Barron, Ala'alatoa, McCarthy, Molony, Baird, Connors, Culhane, Foley, Prendergast, Larmour, Ngatai, Osborne, TOB, Frawley.

Surely Henshaw will play if healthy? Getting the international lads back will be great. I think we'll see Baird this week and Ross?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Neither Henshaw nor Byrne were at training by the looks of it; only Conan, Baird and McCarthy were there from the international contingent.

Leinster have a fairly heavy run of games from late November onwards so they'll be happy enough to hold the test players back for that period....

Munster at home, Connacht away, La Rochelle away, Sale at home, Munster away, Ulster at home, Stade Francais at home, Leicester away all in a row. Huge impact on the season if a couple of those are lost.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fair point, but equally they'll need to get some game time before then to be "tuned in" as it were, prior to that run of key games.

Yikes that's a rough run. Especially trying to get the national team lads back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

As is always the way. Leinster follow up patchy away performance with a much improved home performance to start the season.

A bookie is never wrong twice.

A lot to like about that.

Jack Boyle is the business. He was hyped up to the max in schools and it did die down slightly over the last season or so but we are seeing glimpses of why he was so highly rated. He's a pure athlete. The size he has chucked on really has helped. Looks a solid scrummager and his all around play is promising. Loves a good poach. And the pace he took the ball on after Tommys break in the first half was astonishing. I don't think any other props in the squad have that top end pace. This could be a breakout season for him. I can easily see him being the starting Irish LH in 2027 with Porter switching back over.

I will put my hand up to say I just flat out didn't rate Lee Barron and thought his senior deal was more tokenism more than anything. I will maintain that I don't think he will be an international but I will change my opinion on not rating him. His darts have been very good. He moves about the pitch well and is clearly a very good athlete. So credit where it is due to his performances over the last 2 weeks.

Also I think there was clear mitigation for his Yellow to be pen only. He was low and there was a sudden change of height from the player owing to the fact that Ngatai (legally) smashed him.

I thought Rory McGuire was solid coming on too. Solid enough to be firmly ahead of Clarkson for the time being. Good to get him minutes.

Foley had a good game that will stand to him given he's going to be in every match day squad for the next 8 weeks (fitness provided touch wood) Nice nippy passing and good decision making. I just wish he'd stop getting charged down...

Jamie Osborne is ridiculously good. I said last season that there is generational potential in there and I'm standing by that. The most recent Irish centre I can think who was this accomplished at 21 was Ringrose and before that Henshaw. His passing ability and quality is just a sight to behold, he has cannons for legs and is bloody good in contact. He did fall off one or two tackles though. But this was his first game of the season and he just performed immediately.

I've been a fan of Tommy O'Brien since his school days because he's a quiet unassuming lad who gets on with his job and does it to an extremely high standard. Saturday was the epitome of that. He showed a lovely set of heels a few times to get around on the outside, took some tricky high balls under pressure, made his hits fantastically well. He's an easy player to pick because he just doesn't really make mistakes. While they're different players he's in the mould of Hugo Keenan of he just does everything asked of him to the highest standard with little errors.

I maintain that Tommy would have been capped by now (at least for the A team) had he not succumbed to his ACL at a horrendous time. He was due to be in the 23 that week against Toulouse in a European Semi final. Surely he'd have been in the shop window for the NZ tour. Jimmy O'Brien deserves every bit of success that he has had but I don't think it's unfair to say a part of that was due to Tommys unavailability at a crucial time.

Edinburgh will be very tough. They will be closer to full strenght than we will and they will target this match.

Boyle. Barron. Mike

Jenkins. Ross

Baird. Penny

Max

Foley

HB

Larmour. Frawley. Ozzie. TOB

Cosgrave

Milne, if fit, McKee, if fit, McG, Deeny, Rhys, Murphy, Sam, RR.

I saw a screenshot of something doing the rounds last week.

In the last 2 seasons I've watched Leinster lose 2 Heineken Cup finals and 2 URC semi finals by a combined total of 6 points.... 3 of those games were 1 point affairs.

We have just seen South Africa win their quarter, semi and final by a combined total of 3 points.

We can say what we want about their playing style but their coaches have fostered a playing group that know how to get it over the line.

I think we are extremely lucky to be getting Nienaber in. Hopefully he can swing the tide in our favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I think most fans I have talked to will say the same

Leinster is also a bit nice, we used to import the bit of dark arts so maybe Nienaber can bring that to Ryan, Big Joe etc...Like the stuff SA get up to on and off the ball is incredible and nobody complains

Not sure Nienabar does anything to stop James Ryan getting injured or Lowe not being fully fit.

But maybe, let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Is there an argument to start Osborne over Henshaw for La Rochelle game? Osborne has a better passing game IMO and it looks like Henshaw is beginning to fade with his injuries, I understand it hinges on how he performs the next couple of games but every time I watch him he amazes me. He picked out passes on the weekend that Ringrose struggles to make, his boot is an absolute cannon and he seems to get an offload off every time he takes it into contact. He was a big miss at the end of last season, especially in the semi against Munster where we were relying on HB to clear the ball, which is something he struggles with IMO.

I also think that we implemented an interesting kicking tactic in the Sharks game and I think it will be easy to apply the little chips toward the wings against higher level opposition this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it payed dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

One thing Nienaber won't have with Leinster is all the players under him being fundamentalist Christians. At least a large part of the SA playing group having the same beliefs has to be something in their favour when it comes to unity and the team having a driving force.

I wonder does the likes of Romans 8:28 (And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose) actually help with sports performance in high pressure situations. Manny Pacquiao used to be always happy and relaxed when he was doing his ringwalk. Is it because essentially the pressure's off because the result is in God's hands and he could just focus on performing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I would, I'm all for backing Osbourne to the hilt this year. Henshaw needs to show a consistent run of health and form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I guess you are referring to the Champions Final?

No he can't help if players get injured but he hopefully can in other areas. Then you need luck

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

He might have changed our defensive system though or our tactics that resulted in us being no where for 60 minutes.

They all pray to the god of coffee the Flat White

No one is undroppable and Henshaw is firmly in that frame too. I'd be looking over my shoulder if I were him.

He is easily world class and on his day jaw droppingly good. BUT he's missed I reckon 2 cumulative seasons over his career with injuries. And in recent years these niggly injuries are last months instead of weeks.

It is fair to say Osborne should be considered first choice 12 if he is playing better than Robbie. He's got top level minutes at 12 after all.

The elephant in the room topic over the last season is Henshaws form hasn't been that good. Even when he's fit and playing he probably wasn't up to the standard we expect of him.

But we are getting a player back whose light on game time whose been usurped by (the absolutely incredible) Aki in Green and has a very young and hungry up and comer breathing down his neck. I hope to see this bring the competitor out in him even more and he kicks on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's Cortado you heathen

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Even since it was announced that Nienaber was taking over, I was really intrigued. In Andrew Goodman, I think Leinster have an attacking coach who plays expansive, fast paced and creative rugby. In Jacques Nienaber, Leinster are getting one of the best defensive minds in World Rugby. I would agree with your point that Leinster are slightly deficient in players who represent the type of rugby Nienaber wishes to play.

I have a pie in the sky signing who is currently a free agent after finishing up in Japan who represents everything you have outlined about the South African style.

I wonder will Leinster potentially bring in Pieter-Steph du Toit.

Granted it probably WON'T happen but, capable of playing flanker and second row, Pieter-Steph du Toit and his never say die attitude and his world class abilities would send Leinster into a different stratosphere.

I know the argument can be made that Leinster have more than enough talent at flanker and maybe enough in the second row to even entertain the idea of bringing in du Toit.

Leinster have had signings like this in the past who have come to Leinster and have changed or enhanced the culture of the team and taken them to new heights.

He is the type of signing who puts fear into the hearts of your opponent. Again it is very pie in the sky but just imagine what Leinster could do with him.

If Leinster don't sign him, teams like the Sharks will or a team in France will and life will get even more difficult for Leinster to win trophies. This is a statement of intent signing that Leinster are going to try and dominate even more under Nienaber.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given the players in the Leinster panel, there's not a chance in hell that they would be allowed to sign a NIQ Back-row - No matter who it is.

Advertisement