Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Neewollah

Well done to OLG. Thoroughly deserved win and as previous poster mentioned important win for the KK championship as a whole.

Credit to Shamrocks on another outstanding final performance. Some achievement for them to be so close to 6 in a row considering the amount of players unavailable this year. No doubt they'll be chomping at the bit next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭kksaints

Congratulations to O'Loughlins. They just got the better of a very tight battle. Match was exciting and it was very hard fought but I thought it was very scrappy with some spells of poor play from both sides. Paddy Deegan was probably man of the match with some of the scores he got including the winning point and O'Loughlins defence held very well for the most part. Mikey Butler was doing the man marking job on Adrian Mullen and that was a real tough battle for the two that spilled over a bit tbh with both slightly lucky to stay on the pitch because if the ref had spotted all of their off the ball niggles, they'd have been off. Butler had the better of it for the most part although the few times Mullen got free he did some damage. TJ had some moments of class but he also had two crucial misses in the 2nd half. Colin Fennelly and Paddy Mullen did very little. Owen Wall showed some flashes of quality.

Hard to know how OLG will do outside of Kilkenny, their defense is very strong but that attack is lacking a bit of top level quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Ref let basically everything go, which made for a good game for the neutral. Shamrocks can't have any complaints as they were dirty against the Boro but O'Loughlins have always had their measure in the dark arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

Huge congratulations to both teams who gave it everything. Shamrocks came so close ( despite missing 5 key players). O Loughlins were brilliantly led by captain Mark Bergin and all around him responded. Worth mentioning in this current era of putting management teams together that O Loughlins always keep everything internal. Superbly marshalled by Brian Hogan and Co…… Nine senior finals have followed since 2000, five victories and no silly money paid out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Fair play to Peter Burke today, a great referee. Imo has the perfect chemistry between letting the game flow and players looking for frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great result for O Loughlin Gaels. Probabky deserved. The winning point was a free out though.Deegan took at least 12 steps with the ball in his hand.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

After watching various county finals over the weekend it would appear the refs are following the example of inter county refs. Numerous throw balls, pulling and dragging, head high tackles, over carrying etc. was mostly let go. Very similar to all the intercounty matches this year right up to and including the All Ireland final.

The game is developing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oneeyefromthebog

If you think that is good refereeing then God help hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well at least it wasn’t a start/stop game. The thing is they either blow everything or nothing Peter Burke was the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

I have to agree on this. I think o'loughlins would feel very aggrieved if they had lost yesterday.. A blatant dive by Eoin Cody was rewarded with a easy free in the first half... In the second I think it was O'Shea was taking out of it and should have got a free Straight in front of goal 15 secs later tj awarded a dubious free at the other end.. A 2 point swing.. To me o'loughlins had to work harder to get frees. Overall the standard of refereeing in the County is very poor. I was chatting with a well known ref at the semi finals and he said that there is no training or fitness Tests. Apart from an online rules test and you can have the rule book beside you doing the test😂😂. I think that shows in the standard.l over the last few weeks last weekends junior and intermediate finals were the same as yesterday.. However Burke probably got around to field more

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Now that club championship is over , what players have put their hand up for a place on the county senior panel .......

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

A few of the slieverue lads are worth a look.

Apart from them.

David Fogarty, Danny Glennon and Tommy Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

A tough opener for O Loughlin Gaels in Carlow against St Mullins.

Carlow teams tend to do well at home in the Leinster SHC club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crossbar

Ah, don't worry Jimmy, The status quo is alive and well so the Southerners can safely turn off their phones. Looking at fellas who were not in last year, Stephen Donnelly, Eoin Wall, Jordan Molloy, David Fogarty as mentioned, Liam Moore and Paul Hennebry are definitely worth a look. There is also a possibility that one or two of the U20s will be good enough for the senior panel by next summer.

Derek Lyng had a large panel throughout the year, with all those players having a year of conditioning under their belts at this stage.

Some of the club players who performed well are unfortunately on the small size and would most likely be brushed aside at county level. That's the way the game is gone.

It's a challenge for Lyng along with the fact that some players did well early on in the league only to fade away in the latter stages when their teams stalled or went backwards. He won't please everybody despite his best efforts.

I presume we'll hear of retirements in a few weeks after the team holiday.

Clubs not getting a massive return from the Kilkenny team that won the u20 All Ireland 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Will be up against Mount Leinster Rangers. They were fairly convincing winners over St. Mullins in the final. Will be a tough one no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

As some one said a lot of the stand out players in the club championships do seem to be smaller in stature than some of the current panel but I think they do deserve a chance to show what they have and I think a lot of them have more to offer than some of the lads who have been there the last while. They newer players I was impressed most with were:

Jordan Molloy (OLG)

David Fogarty(OLG)

Owen Wall (OLG)

Tommy Ronan (GBC)

Killian Corcoran (Shamrocks)

Stephen Donnelly (TTown)

Jack Holden (TTown)

Tom Dunphy (GBC)

Add into them some of the more established players who have been very good and are surely worth a look at in the panel, if they want to be included that is, would be:

Kevin Blanchfield (B'Bridge)

Tom Kenny (Boro)

Andy Gaffney (Boro)

Add into this the performance of Darragh Corcoran who I thought was excellent at full back this I think it gives us further options for next year, it's good to see Liam Blanchfield back on the panel also.

Lot of those players would be blown out of it intercounty level

Id like to see:

Tom Kenny (Has to be included, Boro's leader) Boro

Zach Bay Hammond ( A time at inter county level could bring his hurling to the next level) Ttown

Stephen Donnelly (Top forward, bring him in) Ttown

Marty Murphy (outstanding talent, Kilkenny need to get this man in quick, 6ft 5", great in the air, great striker and can move, Brian Kennedy was not able to touch him in the Junior final, still young at 17/18 and plenty to improve on but the best young player I have seen in a while) Tullogher

Cathal O'Leary (gifted striker of a ball, Kilkenny could get him fitter, potentially something to offer) Freshford

I did not get a chance to see Dunnamaggin this year unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kinghenry1

Marty Murpphy gifted young hurler but needs at least 2 years strength and conditioning before he could be considered for the senior set up let him develop first with the u20 set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I see we're just throwing the word gifted around now.

As in Zach Bay Hammond, who was a sub for Thomastown this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Zach played nearly every game wing back this year but pulled his hamstring in training before the final. He had a great year so far and his hurling came on no end this year. Like a different player compared to last year. Zach has the pace and the power if his hurling keeps improving he might get a crack at the panel at some stage, still u21 this year.

Stephen Donnolly is well worth his place, he has had two really good county finals the last two years and has been racking up scores.

Apparently Stephen Donnelly already got the call up. Is Zach eligible for under 20?

My bad, I only seen the league final versus lisdowney (I think he he came on as a sub) and the county final. He certainly looked a prospect a few years ago but went to soccer I think. Stephen Donnolly a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

No he is overage for u20 next year but still u21 for the club this year and next year I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think they're worth a shout in bringing them in, there's players of similar stature that have been in and got chances, I'd have them in on S&C programs and see how much it can improve them.

Think you're right on Zach Bay Hammond, he definitely has the athleticism and speed for modern inter county hurling and his hurling has improved a lot this year also!

I haven't seen much of Marty Murphy but I definitely think it wouldn't be any harm in bringing him in and getting him on a S&C program. Looking back at last years U-20 and looking back at the club championship you'd have to wonder how the likes of Marty and Lar Murphy, Killian Corcoran and Bill Hughes didn't make the first 26 for any game this year, I believe all are underage again next year so should make for a very competitive team next year.

Advertisement