Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That was my first WWE live event to attend. Was a seriously solid card, getting to see Austin in person was the highlight for me anyways. JBL got nuclear heat too after calling Ireland Britain's bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my two cents... but I think running a ppv (or ple, whatever you wanna call it now) in Dublin would be a bad idea.

WWE doesn't draw big over here so you would be relying on people from up north, UK, even mainland Europe to fly over to fill up a big venue like Aviva. Am sure if it was a big show like SummerSlam people would flock over. But some random show like "Disaster in Dublin" or whatever lol wouldn't draw a massive crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You don't necessarily need to aim that big though. Many of their PLE's are around ~18,000 people (Payback, Fastlane, Backlash etc), which I think there's enough demand for, so in that context we could get away with a smaller venue than the Aviva. I still don't see it happening anyway though, with the UK shows close enough to suck in the Irish interest so it's a bit hard for them to justify it.

With an announced German one and likely a French PLE to come next year (presumably alongside another UK one) there's a couple of decent options for us anyways.

Besides, if they hold one in Ireland (Dublin especially) the hotels will just gouge the ever loving shite out of anyone coming over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think they'd be better off doing a tv taping in Ireland first around a uk or European PLE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sure it was only 2 years ago that NXT: Takeover Dublin was supposed to take place at the 3arena which iirc is listed as a 14,500 capacity wrestling arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

WWE has a huge presence in the US, but continues to expand their reach to fans across the globe

The company has had several big events over the last year or so such as Clash At The Castle in the UK and Backlash in Puerto Rico and has already scheduled Bash In Berlin in Germany for 2024

They also have no plans of slowing down anytime soon, when it comes to going to different places

We’ve learned at The Ringside Roster-Wrestling News & Rumors via F4WOnline, that WWE is reportedly talking to different cities and governments all over the globe as they work to bring more events to different areas

It was noted that WWE wants big money for their shows and are open to anyone who is willing to pay their asking price

Up to Aiken Promotions and various government departments to enquire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Government department using taxpayers money to pay for the WWE to hold an event in Ireland sure go for it cut the dole cut the rent allowances cut the medical card numbers to pay for it.

There's more hope of me dating Taylor Swift than there is of the government funding a WWE PPV in fairness🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Shane McMahon's son say he and his cousin Aurora Steph and HHH's daughter are the two of Vince's grandkids that would be likeliest join the WWE.

“I think really, any of us could potentially want to do it. You know, I know Aurora, Paul's oldest daughter, Triple H's oldest daughter, she's always talked about wanting to do it, but in having my dad and my grandpa's ego, I think I'd be the best.”

Would HHH & Steph let there daughter do a kidnap imply rape and marry storyline with a jacked up wrestler or an incest or necrophilia storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

He looks every bit the entitled little prick per his lineage, they could be onto something if he's actually interested.

Imagine a McMahon heel wrestling machine. Lol. Heat would be worse than Dom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So he's 19 and she's 17. If they're not already training they may want to start.

When looking up Aurora, for some reason it had a picture of Izzy (Bayley's fan). Seems she had her first match in August at the age of 16. Think it may have been mentioned here at the time.

Sean Ross Sapp explaining how he got some of his sources inside the WWE.

You can see why they were p1ssed off enough to speak with him.

So reports that WWE want Ospreay however they don't want him on the main roster they want him for there NXT Europe franchise which is due to start next year.

That's seems a bit disrespectful to me for a man I would say for the best pro wrestler in the world right now.

• Advertisement

If true, he would be right to take it.

Sign for a very decent figure and always the opportunity to go on to make millions on the main roster.

Yeah but Tony will offer him big bucks, factor all the friendship ballax with the lads

True, True.

I guess it's up to Will to see what could potentially be more. AEW and earn fairly decent or take a chance with WWE and potentially be on WrestleMania, Royal Rumble etc and be a bonafide star (and multi millionaire) in WWE.

If it were me I would take WWE. Apart from the aforementioned it really can make someone a star which can lead on to other avenues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If he became a big star in AEW, which he probably would if they handle him right, then the chances are he can still sign with WWE in a few years and go in at a higher level. Look at Cody and Jade.

Feck it, team him with Dom for the ultimate heel team🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When I saw there was a new post in this thread, of all the things it would be, I’d never in a million years have guessed that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He'll be 71 years old by then. Mad fecker! I believe he was homeless at one stage in the last few years.

Yeah, he was on some documentary years ago. Saw the clips online. He was also saying how he was on the dole and couldn't get a job. People were slating him in the comments... rightfully so. He could have gotten a job in Tesco or something.

He was funny in Corrie but he comes off as a lazy fecker lol.

Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch said on an earning call today that the reason they don’t resign Smacdown was due to Smackdown not bringing in enough advertising revenue due to the WWE audience not attracting advertisers, willing to pay out big money.

Fox had been expecting Smackdown to draw 5m viewers every week not the 2m it was getting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ThePott

Honestly them expecting 5 million consistently is madness. Next to nothing does those numbers. Was surprising they got that in the premiere to begin with. The numbers have been very soild but also heard people suggest that the return of investment for advertisers from wrestling fans wasn't good enough.

Bianca and Montez are getting their own reality show on Hulu, presume Disney Plus over here

They could also stop shunting it to Fox Sports 1 anytime there's something else they want to show, numbers are always low for those weeks.

Wrestling fans don't care about advertising as they spend all their spare dosh on, well, wrestling merch. Ain't got much left after that😂

Ospreay definitely playing all the big US compaines bigging up TNA for the last week then this morning on NJPW promo's mentionoing Elite and then this evening dropping this.

He is dead right to get a real bidding war going for the best pro wrestler in the world this year.

• Advertisement

Seth has responded too

Endeavor/TKO tried to buy into the PGA however the PGA rejected the bid and are still looking at the Saudi money.

Apparently Gunther can't leave the US over residency application issues, needs to stay 6 months, probably why off the Crown Jewel ppv

The UFC is in the middle of a class action law suit and someone did a bit of digging in all the legal pappers and had a look at what Brock, Ronda and Punk were paid for their fights there between 2011 and 2016.

Punk first fight against Micky Gall in 2016 got him paid $1,042,736.

Brock had two fights which got him paid $11m, $3m for his lose to Overeem and $8m for his win over Mark Hunt which was then overturned due to positve drug test.

Ronda made $17,784,198 for 8 fights.

Brock was reportedly making $12m a year from the WWE contact for the last few years.

Ronda made a reported $5m from her WWE contract.

Punk's AEW 3 year contract was worth $3m.

Nice earners for them.

Sareee turned down the WWE to sign with a new start up US Joshi comapany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronda's 8 fights totalled about 10 minutes total in the Octagon.

Giulia due at the performance center to join NXT within a month according to PWInsider.

That would be a great signing however she is a real main roster talent and would be totally wasted as PC talent.

The cast of The Iron Claw say they are open to wrestling in the future.

Good interview with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I remember the internet making similar statements about Asuka years ago and she went on to be one of WWE's must successful international signings ever, if not the most successful. Her build in NXT added a lot to her mystique.

If she did join, it makes sense to get set up and train in one spot for a while (Florida/NXT) after moving across the world. Instantly doing WWE's touring while setting up accommodation/visas/getting used to new locales sounds like hell.

With that said, never seen a single match of hers but Reddit/Twitter hypes her to the moon. Can see why WWE would be interested though. She has their look.

Yeah, I wouldn't know Giulia and I'm sure the vast majority of those who watch/attend WWE events wouldn't know either. So wouldn't get a big reaction. Who was the last one to skip NXT outside of celebs? I guess Jade has her heat from AEW.

Looking forward to the movie

Intrigued why Chris is not a character in it, his stories is so good but unfortunately very tragic like the others

According to PW Insider, NXT is expected to be picked up by The CW for it's next rights deal starting from September 2024.

The deal will have it airing live weekly and is expected to run for five years. Said to be the biggest increase for NXT media rights (no surprise, given it was put on USA for a song to compete with AEW).

You'd have to imagine this also might be the nail in the coffin for NWA who looked to be getting a CW deal until their cocain spot at the recent PPV (if that's fully true that might be one the biggest blunders of all time). NXT being on a free-to-air station in the US could be good for it though and it's current presentation probably fits in with the CW's demographic.

Strange decision since Warner still has some stake in CW, from what I understand, just not the majority shareholder anymore.

• Advertisement

Warner have a fairly minor stake in the CW still, you're right. I think they have very little say in the network anymore and a few of their shows have been making their way to Max instead of CW. So it's not too big a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if their ownership was bought out or sold at some point soon.

Although WB's involvement was my first thought as well.

My take is that CW never wanted NWA. Reports are saying NXT deal was months in the making. So CW probably bullshi**ed NWA with a potential deal knowing WWE would hear.

So the cocaine spot never mattered one bit.

Nick Hausman reporting Tony Khan turned down The CW after they approached him and asked about ROH programming on the channel.

Seems like The CW really wanted wrestling in the channel.

Tony didn’t want to do a TV deal for ROH till he got the new AEW deal sorted first.

He sure loves the title

• Advertisement
Advertisement