Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

Ring Energia, still the same 15% off. Couldn't match the SSE Airtrictiy Day / Night rates. I guess I'll try the switch over and hope Energia get back to me with the 20% offer. Both (for me, D/N rural) have standing charge of €377. They'd better start decreasing the standing charge in line with newer rate decreases. Since it went up when the rates went up, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Expensive at dinner time alright - will see how it goes. But the rest of day time and EV overnight seems decent (we were moving house so would have had to pay a cancellation fee in the old house to move)

when the 15.5% kicks in it goes to

2am to 5 am 9.1c -> 7.68 c

11pm to 8am: 27.1c -> 22.9c

8 am to 11pm: 36c -> 30.4 c

5pm to 7pm: 50c -> 42.25 c

I think as long as you avoid dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer during 5 to 7, its probably the best plan I can find as I think I will need the full 3 hours for the EV every night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Your man turned up yesterday morning from the ESB to change my meter for a D/N meter (the old digital type, he hasn't even seen the smart meter version yet, never mind install one). I refused it as it was July when I agreed the BWG fixed day/night price and didn't want to be put on their present rates. Had I known for certain I'd be on the 33.38c day and 14.75 night I'd have gone for it but these things can't be left to chance. I'll give Flogas a ring on Tuesday and see what they say. He kept me on the system using his pad and said it was only a matter of calling esbn to schedule the switch.

Would the energia 36c day and 2-6am 8c tariff not suit you better? 3 hours charging is very tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

6 c more expensive during the day. I dunno. Probably much of a muchness. We were tied into bord gais as we were leaving place a with a few months left on the contract. Allowed us to move for free. Probably would have considered another provider of there was the cancellation fee. The €50 covers small difference in price I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi folks, in a bit of a conundrum here myself.

1) I contacted energia (had the cheap night saver rate a lot of people on here had) to find out when my contract is expiring they said my contract "had ended on the 15-09-2023.", I checked and only received the welcome email on "Oct 3, 2022" So I need to see what the story is there. But I thought they had to let you know when your contract was expiring??

2) In between Solar panels + batteries for another 3 to 4 weeks, I think I should wait until I get them reinstalled and then move to smart plan so staying on the standard contract or something until then? Not sure if I can extend an existing only for a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I don’t think any utility companies have to give you any notice that your contract is about to end. It’s likely that it’s all covered in the fine print that you signed up to at the start of your contract. Most customers on the Energia EV day/night plan moved to the Flogas BWG or Community plan since September.

You should establish what rates Energia are now charging you ? Depending on your usage pattern, find out if there is better value to be got and switch asap. If you need to switch again when you’re set up with Solar etc., it will only cost you €50 to break out of a contract early. Solar wont do much for you for the next 6 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snopake

I did similar and Energia moved me on to a discounted plan (originally 15%, then 20% with €50 credit when I cancelled) and backdated it to the end of my last contract. They also said that I could move to the smart plan once the new meter is installed

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

I am trying to sign up to the Energia Smart Drive Plan with 36c and 8c for charging but when I submit my MPRN it says that this plan is not available with this meter and I must pay 36.6c and 20.9. I have a smart meter. What am I doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

About 2 years ago?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Then it should be well settled in, if it was just in, that could have been an issue.

Try ringing energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Finally bit the EV bullet this weekend. Bought a 2019 Leaf 40 KW.

I drive the car about 200km per week. So I'm thinking one charge a week will do me. It didn't make sense for me to switch to a Peak/Day/Night rate. as when I'm home, I have the PC all day on might use the oven for food etc.

Will cost around €15 euro a week to run the car.

Mostly OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

Any idea what that plan is called and/or what the pricing is?

Oh what fun I'm having today.

Trying to switch to Energia but they were rejecting my application.

I finally spoke to a human today and he said, although I have a smart meter, the connectivity is not strong enough (they rate it from 1 to 4 and we are 1. They will only connect a 3 or 4.). So I rang my current suppliers (Electric Ireland) who said the meter was 4 until last January but has deteriorated since to 1. They are still able to provide me with my usage hour by hour, every day, so they couldn't explain why better connectivity would provide anything more.

They don't know what's wrong but do not do house calls to repair individual meters. It looks like I am stuck. I may take a sledge hammer to the meter and wait till they come to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭this.lad

First bill since coming off the best energia plan, with flogas, and got a roasting. Bill has gone up by about 60%.

I don't think theres any good news to be had on this front for the moment.

The really cheap night rates will only get 21kw into the cars in the 3 hour window (both electric).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Did you do anything around the house especially around the meter last January. an extension perhaps that is blocking the signal.

The signal uses G2. Check https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map?location=&technology=2g&network=virginmedia&place_id=

I dont' know what carrier ESBN uses but I have a "4" and have just "Good" on Eir and GoMo, all the rest "Very Good"

I have a smart meter now six weeks and on the ESBN website my usage is displayed on the graph OK, however the HDF form column for usage is blank. ESBN says its their problem, not mine and they are working on it. Also Energia app on "Usage" it says "working on update check back in few days" or words to that effect.

Meters nay be called smart but either they are the operators aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Yep, depressing, particularly when you need 21kwh for each car. Still €450 in gov credits to make you feel better about being shafted…

A very interesting post, thank you. That coverage map is excellent. On some carriers I am Very Good and on some I'm down to Fair. It looks like this is the issue. Vodafone, 48 and An Post are Very Good - all the rest are Fair.

I have been trying to identify what changed last Jan' but I simply cannot think of anything. The house is only 4 years old so everything is pretty up to date. I would love to speak to someone knowledgeable from ESBN. Again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi

Crazy that the ESBN is rolling out a new system which should be operational far into the forseeable future when they know that it already has problems.

Good luck finding someone knowledgeable and more important willing to share that knowledge at ESBN. If you do get one, see if you can find out what network they use, perhaps they have their own infrastructure or else which carrier they piggyback on.

The carrier they use may have closed down a repeater which covered your area. ?

Do you have neighbours ? If so, check with them. They may have the same problem, if not, it's' your meter

If it is your meter, perhaps if you tell Energia you will leave unless they replace your meter. ?

Energia replaced my day-night meter with new smart meter in two days when I said was going to Pinergy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hows everyone's experience of consumption accuracy with the Pinergy App?

I've only just got the home charger installed and was excited to start charging at those juicy 5c rates. The car charged succesfully overnight, but the Pinergy App doesnt show the significant spike in usage for then. (In fact it looks the load was never more than 0.5kW). that was on Saturday night, so assuming any data refreshes should have happened by now.

When I checked the meter usage on ESB Networks, it is there alright.

It's not that I'm looking to be billed, but I want it to be accurate. Especially when I get the solar and battery connected next week.

When I got my smart meter installed last year the installer asked me were any of us on Vodafone as that's the carrier they use, my data is readily available from esbn and there's a 4 on the meter. I have been contradicted here and was told they use the 3 network. 3 in my area is absolutely shocking I was with them for a while but it was unusable even for basic phone calls, I couldn't imagine the meter scoring a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Am with Energia. Just off the good 8.5c EV D/N rate. Think my best option is their smart EV rate - the 4hr at night at 8.15c.

Is there any benefit of initiating a switch to someone else hoping Energia will offer a bigger discount on their smart rates or does that only apply to standard meter D/N rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Might be worth asking their loyalty/retention team rather than the hassle of switching again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Going from the 7.9c rate really shows how stupidly expensive things have gotten.

We're a low usage household with 1 EV doing 1,000-1,250km per month. Our bills are €85-100 depending on how much driving/solar we get (only 1.2kW so not much difference). It will be going up by around €75 per bill now with their 18.4c rate as the FloGas plan wasn't available.

From €85 to €160 and this is after they announced discounted rates, plus retention discount and still without PSO levy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭fafy

Yes many are in the exact same boat, be thankful you got onto that low rate in the first place. as many missed the boat on it, and it was pulled sometime around October last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Stupidest question of the year incoming:

With Energia smart ev, all electricity is charged at this rate during 2-6 not just ev right?

I can time dishwasher etc for this time?

Advertisement