Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman broke letterbox. Report?

Options
  • 31-10-2023 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

The postman tried to force through a package that was too big and broke off the internal flap and mount of my front door . I want to report it but would it be more hassle than it's worth? It's a small rural community. The postman is local and known to us, outside his job also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I wouldn't report him but I'd have a word with him next time to be more careful and mention what happened to the letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Happened to me before with an post delivery rather that our actual postman. It was captured really well on the ring doorbell, we contacted an post with the video and they authorised us buy a new post box and they paid for it. Not sure if I would have reported my regular postman though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Our last place, the wind use to do this, the flap was so crap and cheap. Our new place the post people broke our post box by trying to jam in stuff once too often. But we replaced that cheap postbox with a better one.

I imagine it wasn't intentional. It's either put it in the box or leave in the rain or with neighbours or return it.

Also, if it's rural you are getting post delivered at a much higher cost than if it's urban.

Also, you know the person. Would you report someone you know rather than talking to them ?

Also, would you do a better job ? For the salary ?

Sorry, feeling cranky today 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s probably a tough one OP- you need your postman to be in your side - I suppose a quiet word with him and see his reaction and response might be the first thing to do - I’d doubt he’d get in trouble if reported but no harm in checking first- he may well encourage you to report it as a result.

Letterboxes do break though- when we were getting our new door years ago and insisted on a letter box, the door company warned us about broken letterboxes- ours still work fine but they’re not what they used to be and don’t take the pounding the ones made years ago did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I would get it fixed myself and say nothing but the PVC door is broken where the mounting was fixed so I don't think it can be fixed. Would take a new door. Wouldn't be too bothered otherwise.

Think I'll leave it though. Even mentioning it to the postman might be taken the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Oh, didn't realise it was damaged like this. Maybe you can seal that up and put postbox on wall, rather than new door ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If the door was damaged by the action of someone trying to squeeze a package in, don't you think maybe the door already had an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just get the door repaired and maybe order one of these

Don't report him postmen tend to be well known and popular.

There is a box on the fence at the driveway gate. Looks like he thought it might fit in the door letterbox so chose that instead.

There wasn't anything wrong with the letterbox. The whole device (mount, flap and built-in draught excluder) was on the hall floor with the package stuck in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It's a small rural community. The postman is local and known to us, outside his job also.

next time you meet him mention it in passing, no need to report him, its not the end of the world

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sounds more like an issue with your door not the letter box. The post person could have done you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's only one solution left, op.

Kill the postman and send his widow a corsage. Stuff it through their letterbox so you can break theirs too?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

If your postman is local and known to you and is otherwise a good postman I probably wouldn't bother. Our postman is very obliging to us and I wouldn't want to put an end to that...if I was in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Would be not have noticed it come away as he stuffed the post in?

If he had then maybe he should have done the decent thing and owned up..it's not the end of the world after all.

Maybe a mention that's it's out of order and that he might find it easier to put stuff in box at gate for time being .

Can understand not wanting to fall out over a letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Blank up the big hole in your door. It's madness having that hole there anyway. New doors you're told not to order one it's uncontrolled wind flow.

I'd seal it and get a mounted postbox beside the door.

Cheers for the replies. Yeah, I'll say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

We had a metal post thing for about 15 years, it was rusted so we replaced with a plastic one from amazon, was delighte it was the exact same size, we had to replace it again 2 years later

If something is cheap it will break quickly in normal usage, repace it with a better one, or set up an alternative postbox, dont mention to him that your letter box was a piece of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I got rid of my regular post box and got the an post delivery box, it's got 2 keys a master one for the postman and one for you. They're €95 but it's metal and the whole front opens, it's not huge but it fits any medium/small box from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Same happened to us. Replaced it and moved on.

Advertisement