Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

And last comment before next game. I like the way Forde kicks penalties. He kicks the ball at a lower elevation to others. As such it gets less impacted by the conditions. Much in the same style as Sexton. Wouldn't object to him playing centre and taking the penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I was thinking the same and recalling the videos of Sexton and Stephen Cluxton discussing kicking techniques. JJ kicked well, but the elevation on some of them was too high and really brought the wind into play. One could take a horses for courses approach, depending on the location and weather. Otherwise I like the way JJ is settling in, seems composed in his game management and not over-egging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bealham commits till 2026. A good move for all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

I doubt it. I think he will be 35 when this contract expires. I know TH have longer careers than most but I think Hansen is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Nice to see re-signings this side of Christmas. SHL next would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Will be a tricky one you'd imagine. We probably can't compete financially with what's available elsewhere, and we can't offer a clear path to international rugby. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Great news on Bealham. Will surely have solidified himself as one of Connacht's greatest ever players by 2026, and likely best ever prop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Crucial bit of business. TH props of his quality are always attractive and for my money he's outplayed furlong when available this year. While he seems to genuinely love connacht and living in Galway, I imagine there were at least some inquiries for him from teams with the ability to make an attractive offer.

Aungier seems to be taking a step forward this year after a very solid previous season, so encouraging times

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Ulster will be without Tom O'Toole and Keiran Treadwell for this game. We really need to be targeting a win in this game. 3 wins to start the season would be a bug statement to make

• Advertisement

Do wonder with Porch available this weekend, will he make the starting 15. It would be a very harsh call on the back 3 that started vs Glasgow. And I was talking to a friend of mine at the Glasgow game and he said something that I thought was bang on. TOH is not an impact sub. He either starts or he is not in the 23. What he offers is stability, not excitement. He makes sure that the back 3 offer their best defensive coverage. But he is not the guy who is likely to be scoring the tries. Two games in and it's very clear the difference with TOH and without TOH.

And then if you look at Ralston and Kilgallen you get to appreciate that both of them can do their thing because they know behind them is sorted. And that's a comfort for them.

So then we get back to the question should Porch start? And my say is no. John is a fine rugby player but I don't believe he deserves to start ahead of our current wingers who really are doing great stuff.

On another matter I attach an article related to Gavin Thornbury and Andy Friends opinion of his injury profile

'you become sick and tired of being sick and tired’. And I thought Andy Friend said it exactly right in relation to Gavin

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

It's a tough one. If Porch is fit and ready then he makes our best 15. It is tough to drop the lads who played the last day but as TOH said in the presser the competition for places is insane in the back 3. I can't wait to see more of Smith, and Bolton could be the type of powerful wing to put up against an in form Stockdale. McNamara has looked decent too. Hansen has to come back. It's exciting. And that's without even mentioning Santi.

It all depends on the bench split we go with. But if Porch is fit I say start him, probably ahead of Ralston. But then Ralston offers centre cover - again it depends on the split!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d have said that Smith didn’t deserve to be dropped from the 23 after the first game too tbh and that happened.

There is a noticeable difference in the organisation of the back 3 when TOH is playing though.

If Farrell is a doubt, Ralston could be moved into 13 with porch coming onto the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

The squad update stated that everyone who played against Glasgow is available except for JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Jack is back in contention this week I think Wilkins mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

We are sending a B team. Enjoy your five pointer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (223)

14. Byron Ralston (17)

13. Tom Farrell (101)

12. Cathal Forde (15)

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (18)

10. Jack Carty (196)

9. Caolin Blade (172)

1. Denis Buckley (230)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (26)

3. Jack Aungier (52)

4. Oisín Dowling (46)

5. Joe Joyce (2)

6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (22)

7. Conor Oliver (64)

8. Cian Prendergast (49)

16. Tadgh McElroy (2)

17. Jordan Duggan (40)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (81)

19. Niall Murray (58)

20. Jarrad Butler (116)

21. Colm Reilly (19)

22. David Hawkshaw (14)

23. Andrew Smith (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Please do not indeliberate play. In this seaon, there have looked many wrong judging by refs. Be careful. The opponent will put a max energy at the last quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What are you trying to say here kita? I dont get you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I'm sorry to get angry because of my poor English vocabulary and ability of expression. I want Conncht players to prevent thoughtless or careless mistake like penalty try, restarting play(kicking and Knock on) and others those happened last week vs Glasgow match. Sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No need to apologize just couldnt see what you were trying to say..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Must say @kita99 you've been a great addition to this forum, it's a small enough group of posters and can get a bit repetitive at times* so the more the merrier!

(*Not blaming anyone for that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I see Connacht shared a pic of the Cordero family all decked out in green for the match tonight. Such a blow that Santi had to go down, was a really exciting signing. Hopefully he recovers and can contribute next year but the lack of detail or updates on the Injury is very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

100%. @kita99 has been a welcome addition to the Connacht thread.

Hoping we can take full advantage of a weakened Ulster team. I still would have concerns about the back 3 but I'm excited to see Oliver and SHL starting together tonight.

You didn't mention Jennings at all macslash. I thought he really showed huge potential

It is a strange team selection. Think Connacht will do what Connacht will do but why Ulster selected this team is anybody's guess. It's certainly a very strange call

Anyway I will watch this from home in the comfort of a fire😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's all we have available.

Squad Unavailability list

Steven Kitshoff (RWC Recovery)

Rob Herring (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

Tom O’Toole (RWC - IRFU Player Management Programme / Groin Surgery)

Iain Henderson (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

Stuart McCloskey (RWC – IRFU Player Management Programme)

James McCormick (Shoulder)

Marty Moore (Knee)

Kieran Treadwell (Hip)

Cormac Izuchukwu (Concussion)

Dave Ewers (Concussion)

Sean Reffell (Foot)

Greg Jones (Shoulder)

John Cooney (Calf)

Angus Curtis (Concussion)

Luke Marshall (Concussion)

Rob Baloucoune (Hamstring)

Jacob Stockdale (Ankle)