Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Even with 20-30 years, I also feel that the Russian Federation's abilites to create military hardware can't even muster itself to the level of even being a pale shadow of its former Soviet self. The Soviet Union had the legs to build up it's military arsenal because they knew that in an open war they would have to rely upon their own domestic logistics chain to keep things going.

But that was before the Soviet Union began to decay, and ultimatly led to a Russian Federation that spent decades neglecting much of what was built before, and also had become reliant on an Western supply-chain. Much of which they are now cut off from.

As I've mentioned in posts before, time is Russia's greatest foe now. The longer they are left out in the cold like this, that harder it will be for them to eventually turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

A wise man once said “When virtue tarries, evil smiles”.

Bonus internet points if you know who he is 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Biden said recently that the US is the indispensable country, its antonym is dispensable which would be all other countries......

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

Google normally has it but not in this case.

Did Obama requote it ?Doesn't sound like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4283716-reports-of-putins-death-might-not-be-greatly-exaggerated/

Kremlinology (Crimeanlogy?) Today

”””

And that, in turn, means that the post-Putin power struggle has already broken out, even if the real Putin is still alive. It’s broken out because the elites, both those supporting Putin and those opposing him, believe that Putin is too enervated, too weak or too politically moribund to make a difference.

”””

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

From what I have seen putin has already committed political and military suicide in invading Ukraine's internationally agreed borders. I don't think it will take them 10 years to take back the land stolen by putin's forces but there has been no credible evidence that NATO or the EU would reduce support to Ukraine even if it took them that long to regain the land that is rightfully part of Ukraine. putin might have got away with what he took in 2014 but now it is clear to NATO and EU member states that he can't be trusted to stop his empire building. To not support Ukriane would simply cost more for the EU and NATO.

The losses the Ukrainians have inflicted on putin's forces have been a very effective way of improving the security of NATO and EU member states. There has been lots of comment on how they are only getting enough help to slowly bleed out the forces of putin but this also is in their interest as they need to teach putin and his supporters that empire building is already political and military suicide. That lesson is bigger than lines on a map but at the same time there is no reason the internationally agreed borders should not continue to be the point where putin's empire ends in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ukraine are making ground, albeit slowly, while the russians are gaining none and are watching their economy implode and inflation spiral out of control, but why would Ukraine surrender their homeland to russia? (even in the pesimistic case, there is no russian "win" coming, i.e. de-nazify Ukraine by installing a russia facing government, has this purely become a land grab?). Ukraine don't even need a Suroviken line, they'll be joining NATO as soon as the war is finished and then russia won't dare step anywhere.

Should it not be russia being honest with themselves? Do you see this operation outlasting putin?

Your position is typical of the russian tankie/putinbot, do you have any actual solution of your own to offer other than Ukraine to roll over? i.e. what land should russia give up of that occupied, what losses do you think Ukraine and any country being threatened by russia should give up in the face of their aggression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

russia lacks the ability to create modern silicon which means relying on dumb technology with low automation rates and long supply times with high failure rates, it's a combination of bad factors in their ability to wage war. Were it a 3 day war and with the budget buffer they had built up over the years, they might have been OK, but they have removed themselves as a serious power broker in the world, the danger will be what happens when it collapses, i.e. where do all the nukes end up. Will a new head be able to keep it all in line or will it break down even further. I don't think anyone expected Abrams, ATACMS, F-16 and vast reserves of cluster munitions being made available to Ukraine.

This is a country that has to beg North Korea for shells and Iran for drones

And yet we are mean to believe they maintained the nukes in working order for 30 years on a budget that a single digit percentage of what US spends on maintenance?

I was going to reply but calling me a tankie which Im not even sure what it means apart from getting a picture of Claire Daly is a deal breaker lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

So Silverharp, you put no mass on all the damage caused by UKr behind the front lines eg sinking ships , bombing road and rail supply lines, blowing up ordinance, damaging tanks, high kill rate, etc. I suggest that the effect of all this is a ‘long term investment ‘ by UKR and is going to have a longtrerm negative impact on the Russians eg resistance in Russia as more body bags arrive, decreasing moral , increasing difficulty to supply ordinance , food etc to the front lines, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@astrofool . I don't think anyone expected Abrams, ATACMS, F-16 and vast reserves of cluster munitions being made available to Ukraine.

Limited number of tanks currently they only have about 6 Abrams in Ukraine,they will eventually get limited number of F16s and no they don't have access to vast reserves of US cluster munitions,yes America has a stock pile of several million depending on who or what you believe of cluster munitions that doesn't mean that Ukraine will be receiving vast numbers of them ,if that was the case we wouldn't be discussing a massive shortage of artillery for Ukraine barely 300,000 rounds of the promised 1 million by March

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems as if Ukraine has to go back to the drawing board a bit and assess what it is trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

Or Ukraine can just take the old drawing board, bring it to Washington and show it again -- here's how we would deploy F-16s, here we need more Patriot systems, and here we would blast Russians out if only we had more shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

The only way forward is for Ukraine to lock the front lines and wait for Russia to collapse. Meanwhile-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Only if it makes a material difference to the lines, if Ukraine cant shift the lines, then only the US wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They could be I doubt it will change much on the ground or in Washington,there was high expectations for this Counter attack even if the Ukrainians didn't promote any actual goals or objectives, those who are paying the bills won't be impressed and that's what's we are seeing currently in Washington, funding being held up I think going forward there will be expectations and returns put on funds before more are released (Hope I'm wrong)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Footage just in.

Putin stays ten feet away from the plebs. Lavrov does sudoku. And they all wonder why Putin has swanlake playing on the tannoy.

You are assuming the Ukrainian aim is to “shift lines” not “survive as a country with what little help allies send and destroy Russian ability to wage war”

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

their objectives were to get to the Sea of Azov, which they failed to do, attacking in such a situation leads to more causalities for the Ukrainians, so arguably they have damaged their own ability to wage war

You are talking about local tactical objectives while I’m talking about overall strategic ones that you know would win the war.

In 2023 alone Ukrainians have:

* driven the Russian Black Sea navy into hiding and bottom of the sea despite not having a navy in process reopening their export routes

* destroyed Wagner to such a degree that these scum made a decision to march on Moscow instead of remaining in Ukraine, in process doing more damage to Putin than any number of bombs

* de nazified a further 150,000 Russians permanently

* struck Moscow repeatedly

* damaged Kherch bridge again

* destroyed more Russian equipment than most countries have in their militaries

* grew their economy 10%

* regained more of their land

* got to a point where 90%+ of Russian drones and missiles including hypersonic ones get regularly stopped

You are missing the forest for the trees

RuSSian empire.

Warsaw is RuSSian.

I am ruSSian citizen. Stalin. Putin. Dictators. Bullies. Mafias. Greatest in the world.

Would someone tell the russian imperialists there's more people living in France and Germany than puny russia and wtf are they phucking around for.

the navy one is mostly irrelevant, good PR but it doesnt affect the battlefield, hitting Moscow, again PR, growing their economy? a qtr of their population are not in Ukraine, their GDP will be a weird bookkeeping artifact of aid and loans.

Here is a Time article from yesterday , the future problems for Ukraine, notably a gurgling sound with the number of recruits. At the end of the day Russia has 3 to 4 times the population of Ukraine and Ukraine are further down the hoovering up any male that can hold a gun. I only follow US main sources so if I know they are being critical they arent materially over-egging the pudding. there has been a trend with negative reporting in recent months

Time article 30/10  , seems like gurgling sounds in Ukraine with men more than equipment being a problem

[URL unfurl="true"]https://time.com/6329188/ukraine-volodymyr-zelensky-interview/[/URL]

In some branches of the military, the shortage of personnel has become even more dire than the deficit in arms and ammunition. One of Zelensky’s close aides tells me that even if the U.S. and its allies come through with all the weapons they have pledged, “we don’t have the men to use them.”

When I raised these claims with a senior military officer, he said that some commanders have little choice in second-guessing orders from the top. At one point in early October, he said, the political leadership in Kyiv demanded an operation to “retake” the city of Horlivka, a strategic outpost in eastern Ukraine that the Russians have held and fiercely defended for nearly a decade. The answer came back in the form of a question: With what? “They don’t have the men or the weapons,” says the officer. “Where are the weapons? Where is the artillery? Where are the new recruits?”

Ukraine’s slow progress at the front. “We’re not moving forward,” says one of Zelensky’s close aides. Some front-line commanders, he continues, have begun refusing orders to advance, even when they came directly from the office of the President. “They just want to sit in the trenches and hold the line,” he says. “But we can’t win a war that way.”

Now recruitment is way down. As conscription efforts have intensified around the country, stories are spreading on social media of draft officers pulling men off trains and buses and sending them to the front. Those with means sometimes bribe their way out of service, often by paying for a medical exemption. Such episodes of corruption within the recruitment system became so widespread by the end of the summer that on Aug. 11 Zelensky fired the heads of the draft offices in every region of the country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement