Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

we have annual passes so we’re for Emerald park this year. Thankfully got the sensory day so hopefully minimal overwhelm to deal with in a familiar place

A cup of te you’ve put that sooooo well. While I love winter there is something to love in every season.m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope everyone enjoyed the World Cup final, great game very cruel on New Zealand but congrats to South Africa

Almost all my clocks are automatic so the fun of manually putting them back an hour is obsoulete. Dark evenings are cosy even a little eerie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend! That was some rugby tonight! Off to the big smoke tomorrow to support some pals in the Marathon, but thank God the clocks are going back or I'd be wrecked leaving early!

Nearly 'in-season' folks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Typical. Finally get some time off work after multiple 60 and 70 hour weeks and have come down with a right dose. Sinuses and throat in bits and sweating buckets... meant to be driving to kerry for a few days on Tuesday so hope it eases a bit before then.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I always get sick when I’m on hols lately. I think when you stop and rest your body collapses on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

always happens, it's like running a marathon and seeing the finish line and your body knows it can fall in a heap once you cross it. I hope you feel better soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We have another challenger to the 'worst version of Fairytale of new york'

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Jesus. I couldn’t get through a minute of it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Kelly Family never getting well known here is a bonus the entire country received and never realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Clicked into about 4 snippets of that song at different points and my ears started bleeding so had to stop 😂. That was woeful.

Wouldn't risk it tbh. The ronan keating version gave me PTSD a few years back so not worth it.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Had to go up to work this morning for a couple of hours, as you'd expect on a bank holiday Monday I was the only eejit in the place. So I stuck on Christmas Classical on my phone and walked around accompanied by some lovely music.

Hope everyone has a great last bank holiday before the big one!

Big week this week. Halloween then the first of November two massive landmarks in the countdown to Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I go to The Range on the October Bank Holiday every year, kinda kick starts Christmas for me. I think they have most of their stock out now, even a few retro foil decorations.

Nearly there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just seen my first Christmas advert, Lindt.

I had "Halloween FM" on earlier. It's pretty much a Radio Nova playlist 🤣

Anyway, nearly there and we can really get into the swing of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Heavy rain forecast, so it might be a wash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Little one has had her costume on since 6:30 this morning 😂

Hopefully it's not a washout later on. Happy Halloween everyone and finally tomorrow we are in season!!!

• Advertisement

Just text my wife to get some treats for trick or treats in case of the million to one chance of someone knocking at our door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Halloween everyone. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable night

Weather up north seems to be bad today I wonder if it will make its way down to here

Grabbed some extra treats while out this morning and the boots catalogue I hope to browse that later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Don't lie, you just want treats for yourself 😂

For Dublin they’re giving rain from 6pm onwards 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Happy Halloween!

I'm hoping the weather stays dry till maybe half 7 then is absolutely torrential. It'll give the trick or treaters a chance to do their rounds and hopefully put a stop to the fireworks. My poor dog is driven demented the last month or so with. We have sedatives for her but she ends up all over the place so I'm glad it should be finishing up tonight until new years.

The weather is already pretty awful down here so I'd imagine we won't have as many callers as we normally would. Very disappointing for the kids.

Careful what you wish for, we live in an estate and have about 80 to a 100 kids knock on the door every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I went to get sweets for the trick or treaters at the local Supervalu at lunch today and they had taken all of their funsize packs off the shelves and replaced it head to toe with Christmas Biscuits and Celebrations 😂 Think they're dying to be in season as much as we are!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Got 4 lots of trick or treaters this evening! Normally get none, or maybe one. There goes the chocolate I was planning to eat. 😂 Good lot of fireworks now- my dog will be a happy girl tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Thankfully it looks like they got it wrong this time. Still dry and no wind

😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Persisting it down now.

My two went out with their friends much earlier this year. They were back by 6.45.

I was on duty at the door at home as usual and although it was quite busy until 6.30, it got very quiet after that. Think we only had two groups call between 6.50 and 7.15. It was tipping down by then (west Dublin) so although I can still hear loads of fireworks in the neighbourhood, this must be the earliest ever that the trick or treating has finished up.

No older kids (10+) this year, all very odd. They must have stayed at home once the rain started. Plenty of mini bars to keep us going with our cuppas until the New Year anyway 😱

I had 50 or more little bags made up and was cleaned out by 18:30, had a few stragglers call after that, but very few. Everyone must have been out early before the rain. At least I don't have to eat any of the cheap Halloween chocolate!

Thankfully the Covid "survival bags" seem to be a thing of the past. For the last two years people were giving out pre-made bags of junk whereas this year it's back to the usual two or three items given out at each house. Means the kids had quite a good bit less than 2021 and 2022

Edit: just seen your post, Pigtail. Hadn't seen it before I posted mine. I wasn't implying you hand out junk 🫣

• Advertisement

Haha! I started making up the bags during Covid, but just for handiness, rather than rooting for stuff when they're are 5 bags shoved in the door at once! I noticed more people just handing out one or two treats this year though, so I might go back to that next year. One younger kid looked at the little plastic bag I had made up and, looking confused, asked me what it was!!

Well all done and dusted in my neck of the woods it seems, kids emptied us out and at last the dog has started to settle.

I say it every year - that's that Halloween nonsense done with, let the season begin!!!

Got absolutely hocked out of it and all treats were gone by 7pm. Started bucketing down at 7.30pm.

Thankfully that fluff is out of the way now and it’s onto Christmas.

These hours keep dropping!

Had about 40 kids call to ours - much less than usual but it was awful weather. Glad it's over to be honest, roll on Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

My four year old would fit in well here...Going to bed tonight, after a great evening trick or treating, he asked "Will it be Christmas in the morning?"...the innocence 🥰

And here we go!!

Happy in season everyone! Buckle in!

Happy November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I have a long thin hall table , console table I think they are called.

Anyways I make little "piles" when there's a knock I can just grab a "pile" . You could always use a tray on a kitchen chair....just a flat surface to have it laid out so no rummaging.

I would prefer to make up lil bags but it's the extra plastic, I'm no eco warrior, but I try to avoid unnecessary packaging (and expense if I'm really honest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Quite a few came by before we went out ourselves. Kilcock and Maynooth have been expanding so more kids every year is my experience. Had lots of things on for them. Their favorite this year was the boxes where you blindliy have to reach in and get your own sweets out. And the boxes all feel like they have spider webs and weird things in them. And one box was home made slime which got the fun EUW and ICK reactions. Lots of fun.

Went out in our XMen routine - me the the four kids. Toddler Wolverine was a hit with everyone. My oldest daughter as Storm and me as professor X worked out well too. With only a single very early 20s worke warrior who decided to go off on one about black face and representing as physically handicaped when not actually physically handicapped. But as they say "there is always one".

Since we do not do Santa in our house, halloween is a good creative outlet so we do get into it in a big way.

Advertisement