Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shimano crank recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭ciarano

CCPC UPDATE

Dear Ciaran,

Thank you for your further contact to

the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) and for providing the requested information in relation to your issue with

Shimano.  We apologise for the delay in responding to your query. 

We have taken note of your further comments and attachments and have referred the matter to our Product Safety Division (PSD) for information purposes. 

We are grateful to consumers who take the time to contact us to highlight areas where there may be a potential breach of consumer leg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It'll be interesting to see if the CCPC take any action. It appears that as the risk is 'medium', Shimano aren't required to issue a a warning via RAPEX.

Quote from Bike Europe:

Medium risk

As the incidence rate is proportionately very low (less than 1%) Shimano reports that they first want to reassure customers through this free inspection program. “In consultation with the Dutch consumer protection authorities NVWA, the level of risk was determined to be medium. In the EMEA a total of 34 cases with bodily injury were reported,” reports the company. “As the risk is determined to be medium, it was not required to issue the notification through the European warning system RAPEX.” Here, Shimano only used the Product Safety BA Gateway portal to inform the countries concerned.

https://www.bike-eu.com/46121/shimano-widens-hollowtech-crank-inspection-to-global-level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

The UK OPSS published a product safety report as well which sounds ominous but in reality is just the text Shimano released at the start of the month regurgitated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went in to my LBS with other crank issues and they joked its a pity its not a failed one and that my rounded bolt heads were not covered. Told them I had one but it got fobbed off by Shimano years ago. They said a pity but they were not inspecting, anyone who came in was offered a swap, no queries. It was a customers choice but they wouldn't send one out saying it was safe based on a visual inspection. Also just a good bike shop in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

That would indicate that Shimano are not looking for photographic evidence of debonding to accompany a warranty claim - unless it's an oversight by your LBS and any claims submitted without evidence could yet be denied. This recall is less than a month old so it's unlikely that at this point Shimano have issued any credits for work completed. I'm basing this on how recall and warranty payments are handled where I work which is only once per month.

• Advertisement

I think their point was anyone who came in saying they had a crank and it was one of those model numbers, that would be it, they would send it to Shimano, they wouldn't actually bother with the inspection and certainly wouldn't tell anyone it was grand as they left the shop. I would say they are looking for photos as the bike shop did say to me, did I have any photos, which might indicate that's what was required. I didn't really probe any further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

That makes sense. I was in the LBS (which is actually a Shimano service center during the month) and asking the lads about it. My chainset is more recent so not impactec (hopefully!), but thinking back the gist I got was that if I did have one of the qualifying batches and wanted a replacement, I'd get one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What would you do if you ran a lbs?

Not changing crank will

1. P1ss off your customer

2. Leave you in the firing line indemnity or not if someone gets hurt and sues.

3. There is no reward for the risk of not changing

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MaLiYa

Would this crack in my drive side crank arm be nothing to do with this recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No that’s part of the recall, your crank manufacturing code is on the list of affected ones (PL)

Bring it to your local Shimano dealer

• Advertisement

Is it free to brimg to the dealer or do you actually need to have bought it from them?

Free, they’re being paid by Shimano, and can bring it to any, you don’t have to have bought from there

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Yes that’s very much to do with the recall.

You'll be due a new crank

Link to what looks to be the exact same issue I have.

Anybody know how long it takes to get a replacement crank?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Question: how do I find a shop close to me that will inspect my cranks?

I’ve checked the link posted earlier in this thread but all I can see is 2 shops which are both around 200km away.

Is it just a matter of ringing around or calling into shops and asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

As far as I understand, it's only official Shimano suppliers that can inspect and replace. I think you pay a yearly fee for that privilege as a shop, so that could be why you can't find a shop more local

I think the maps thing on the recall page is just sh1te.

If you use the dealer locator here https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/information/dealerlocator.html it allows you to filter on Shimano Service Centres, I'd say use that and give a couple closest to you a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

How have people got on with this? Any replacements? I have a dura ace crank I need to get checked, would like it they would replace it for a fresh new one!

5 sent to LBS all checked and returned. Told to keep monitoring them

😡

• Advertisement

My LBS said they'd replace without query, not worth the hassle to get caught out. Surprised any are not if the customer says they'd prefer it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭andyd12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Johnny's shop ?

Not getting into my shop but surely if you go in and say it's making a funny sound, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭andyd12

Id be surprised your LBS would replace cranks because they don't want the hassle,

The LBS is caught up in the middle and have to do an inspection and file a report to Shimano Per Crank ,

Only then if there is a fault a crank will be shipped out VIA madison distribution ,

The LBS have no say if Shimano say they will replace or not unless its a very obvious fault

Its a disgrace as the saying goes 'waiting for an accident to happen' ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A lbs will know all about hassle if a crank they inspected fails and subsequently results in a claim.

Even if an indemnity provided to LBS by Shimano is watertight (best of luck getting a solicitor to give that guarantee) a LBS will be sued in the event of an injury claim. There is only risk and downside for Plaintiff solicitor in NOT suing LBS

So 3/4 years after your first letter you get told Shimano are footing the bill; how many phone calls, letters, emails, insurance premium heartache will be involved.

If lbs is a sole trader and not a limited company will add substantially to the stress to.

If it was me I'd fail ever crank until Madison/Shimano or whoever say we are not authorising you to inspect them any more.

• Advertisement

Shimano have passed the buck to the LBS and if LBS won't replace on inspection unless they have found fault then it's the customer who loses out.

As sound as my LBS are if they follow the shimano checks then madision won't issue a new crank unless they have a fault report stating faulty crankset. In fact no LBS even have stock of cranks only madision have so no way at all of getting around the situation.

Advertisement