Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But don't you know that, irrespective of what you are doing, as long as you keep repeating the words "peaceful protest", then it is a peaceful protest?

There is precedent for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭sporina

what has the Library's protest got to do with this thread? genuine Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Because as per the thread title it's a form of anti social behaviour.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

i think that the library situation is a separate discussion though tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

If you're referring to the group of scum carrying out a campaign of harrasment against libraries and pharmacists then they are not peaceful protesters.

I'm not so sure.

Anti social behaviour is anti social behaviour whether it is committed by marginalised people with psychological and/or substance abuse problems or by your neighbour, colleague or relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The topic of the library protests themselves, and whether they are good, bad, or indifferent, is indeed a separate discussion. The point is that you have posters here who will call for people involved in peaceful protests that they don't like (distasteful they may be, violent they are not) to be subject to strong Garda action, while dismissing wholesale the city's slide into degeneracy and violence as the fevered imaginings of a few pearl clutchers and that people who are concerned at scumbags and junkies running amok should toughen up a little. We see similar in political discourse with the violent actions of scumbags being excused by the classic "dey have no facilideez" and many variants thereof - just witness the political reaction to the savage assault on that American chap in Dublin. Such minimizing, excusing, and tolerance of real, violent, antisocial behaviour in the city on a daily basis is one of the roots of the current situation where families are abandoning the city centre wholesale because they simply don't feel safe. If some bunch of loons want to put up a banner about Topic X, or chant the Hail Mary or Hare Krishna or whatever I couldn't give a hoot - they're not going to crack me over the head with a bottle for a laugh. The roving gang of teenage scumbags robbing and committing assaults - I think I have a lot more to worry about from them TBH. I know where I'd prefer to see scarce Garda resources targeted.

Obstruction of public services, intimidation and hurling vile accusations at workers is NOT peaceful.

Again, the level of misrepresentation of what posters actually sat on this thread is high.

What was said :

Gardaí are way too hands off with these people, imo.

What was claimed :

... recently calling for the Gardai to go in cracking heads at peaceful protests simply because they have a different view to them on a topic.

And then a more moderate misrepresentation :

you have posters here who will call for people involved in peaceful protests that they don't like (distasteful they may be, violent they are not) to be subject to strong Garda action,

There really is no point trying to have a reasonable discussion with people this disingenuous and Big P isn't alone in having this habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah I've been reading and have had very polite disagreements with a few posters on here but don't really see the point in responding to heavy hyperbole or disingenuous concern trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭notAMember

I think it's fairly revolting sporina... don't know what to tell you. It's similar to the other story about someone offering a blowjob on the street for cash. I've lived around the world with work, places much more violent than Cork, but I didn't have children then. I moved back to Cork as it was safer for families, but it's not someplace I want them to grow up anymore. Not when teenagers are attacked and beaten unconscious on the street unprovoked, not when their bikes are robbed.

You're always going to have a group of people who think that's ok or even funny because it doesn't happen to them, and are not bothered by it. I don't share that opinion. Cork city is my family home for generations, and I'm disappointed I can't be proud of it at the moment. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I am mobile, I moved to a nicer city for now. Maybe in a few years things will turn around. Sometimes it takes a big crisis to drive change.

• Advertisement

TBH the impression I get (from fora in general, not just this one, and not only recently) is that many of those who play down just how much the Irish 'system' is facilitating a spiralling decline in public safety in its towns and cities ("LOL some people are scared of teens in hoodies", "sure, you'd get the same in downtown Mogadishu", etc) don't have kids. I guess it makes a difference in perception.

Another tourist attacked and apparently knocked out in Dublin last night - but hey, maybe the perps are 'disadvantaged' with 'addiction issues', sure God love them.....

I think they are totally separate discussions as the cause, solutions and consequences of both problems are totally different.

They are still both anti social behaviour and both effect the feel of the city.

You have made your point but you don't get to decide what is on or off topic any more than I do. Just because you are the OP, doesn't mean you get to dictate what is discussed. Stop trying to moderate.

i'm talking about drugs and alcohol.. and prob mental health issues.. etc.. not prejudiceness

was walking home from the city today and there was a guy on Shandon Street having a drug induced seizure... lots of his "mates" around him.. ambulance and garda car present.. its deplorable.. for everyone concerned.

but the begging and drug using on Shandon St is relatively new.. just shows its spreading..

I am talking about drugs here - not the library situation.. it is separate - mods.. please act

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Problematic drug use: a failure of our State's drug policy as well as a manifestation of failed social policy.

Homelessness: Well, we know how the State has failed again to provide a basic right as a viable/affordable home to live in, a prerequisite for security, when the housing market is dysfunctional.

Violent young people: Again, a failure of the above, a failing mental health service, and a not fit for purpose criminal law policy perhaps. I know the problem is more complex that that...

And we see the consequences on the streets: troubling as they are to the beholder, but also worse for the victims of all this themselves, and obviously a perceived AND real threat to citizens in the city.

Something has clearly gone very wrong.

I think we can agree or disagree on plenty of those points, as those are politics. I don't think it's the state's responsibility to provide houses for every human in the country. That's a fast route to bankruptcy and even worse social problems in my opinion. No-one should have a "right" to be housed imho. You should ideally be enabled to get yourself educated, become a productive member of society and sort out your own accommodation.

Locally, Cork city council should have a very defined remit on what it does, and be competent at those

Should be operational work first of all, because that is most important , keep the place ticking over.

• Monitoring and maintaining existing city assets and infrastructure - parks, city hall, museums etc
    • Monitoring the companies / state bodies who maintain the infrastructure we need in the city. Water, waste facilities, gas, electricity, internet, roads, rail, airport , yadda yadda.
    • Monitoring and improving effectivity of services like cleaning, lighting, waste disposal services, policing services, public transport.
    • Community (event planning)

And capital projects to make improvements, or lifecycle the existing facilities.

• Providing basic public facilities like toilets and drinking water fountains
    • Upgrading or providing new parks, event centers etc
    • Giving input for roadmaps for future public transport routes
    • etc.

When it's wrapped up in housing lists, providing social and healthcare services for drug users, parking enforcement, then nothing else can be done with the people they have available. Messes like that suck all the oxygen out of the room. Those should be outsourced, or tackled by the state services with some decent funding and expertise, not locally, imho.

my gosh - the city is getting worse by the day...

this week alone, I hav witnessed 3 overdoses/3 ambulance call outs.. cops too.. and thats just while out for lunch during the day...

seems the powers at be don't give a dam..

the unsavoury activity outside Debenhams is unreal..

bad state of affairs..

McVerry talks sense here. State policy on drugs (particularly heroin) has failed.

The spill over from drug addiction to crime, and hence Garda resources, is a direct consequence of this failed policy. We need a health-driven approach to drug use, and IMHO that includes provision of safe drugs to registered addicts.

This problem will only get worse as novel synthetics like fentanyl come into the supply chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is that not what they are doing with methadone?

No, I don't think so. I'm no expert, but methadone isn't really the substitute. Otherwise, the criminal gangs would have no business?

McVerry is one of the key enablers of anti social scumbags in the country. He and his merry gang never met someone who ended up on the streets through their own fault, and who couldn't be 'helped' with lashings of taxpayers' cash (for both the McVerry Trust and the miscreants).

And their 'client's' neighbours? Well, feck them.....

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-28-found-dead-in-dublin-flat-named-as-gardai-launch-murder-investigation-1363561.html

A couple of panes of glass were done in at The Four Liars last week.

I hope it was random and not racially targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

An immigrant friend of mine, didn't see him in a long time but we were neighbours before, a very nice person, lives by there hope it wasn't his place.

• Advertisement

I see an extremely anti social element was harassing the lord mayor on North Main Street on Saturday.

Although, I believe one of them was arrested, so something was done!

The illuminated sign on bubble tea shop on Paul Street got thrashed 😕

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Ah no 😞

I'm hearing that a car got stolen from the underground carpark in my block too.

Not seeing many gardai patrolling the streets either, but that's another issue.

Found out a little more about this.

It seems that it happened twice - on successive nights!

They were break ins rather than random or otherwise acts of vandalism.

Coffeescape on Pope's Quay was also broken into.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Is Cork's own Soup Nazi (Mr. Leave Me Alone) still at it?

• Advertisement

I haven't heard of him recently. Poor lad though, must be troubled.

A close friend of mine witnessed a truly shocking affray last weekend on Cornmarket Street.

As she was walking on the footpath a guy on one of those electric mono wheel yokes, mounted the pavement in front of her. He was followed by a car who hit the guy on the wheel, sending him flying. Car reversed off pavement and took off! Knocked off guy appeared relatively unharmed and didn't hang around. My pal failed to get a reg but said it was a UK reg.

That's really bonkers stuff. Arguably attempted murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-dad-died-heart-attack-27804272?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Apparently out of the new garda recruits from Templemore, only one will be allocated to Cork.🙄

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,880 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's within the city boundary, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,880 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looks like members of a minority community

• Advertisement

I didn't name the minority but its quite obvious looking at the video. Upstanding citizens as ever!

Sounds like the words of a bigot doubling down on their bigotry.

I hope there weren't too many tourists witnessing that display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41260201.html...

I fail to see how it makes me a bigot commenting on who is involved in that video. It's not like I said they are all bad, that would be bigoted.

Do you actually know who the people involved are?

Personally? No

but its obvious by their appearance what community they belong to.

Ok

You've just proven my point.

You see people fighting, in clothes that you've made some kind of judgement about, and conclude, publicly, that they are members of a particular minority? And you don't see any bigotry in that?

Jesus wept!

Look up the definition of bigotry.

(And don't give the bs that you didn't name any minority. You, me and everyone reading this thread knows what you mean, without question)

And don't bother justifying and explaining your bigotry. That's the playbook of all bigots throughout history. The people being descriminated against deserve it.

No I didn't see any bigotry in it. Don't be a so **** precious its plainly obvious whats going on there, you said it yourself, you have been able to deduce from their appearance what minority they are part of.

Who cares that i'm pointing out who they are, they cause wreck and ruin like this every week. Too much pussy footing around this community afraid to offend as always.

I'm done with this conversation anyway. Good luck

• Advertisement

I'm done with this conversation

The wisest thing you've said 😉

Advertisement