Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The same question was asked in 2020. Look at 2020 prices now.

Tech will move on, but no major breakthrough that will floor every other car. % increases here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Most likely. Wonder if there will be a new/Chinese/unknown brand penalty though. What's the warranty like on this?

That’s the atto3, I’d expect the seal to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

Amazing basic vehicle warranty compared to Tesla. Hopefully the increasing pressure from BYD will force Tesla to increase their warranty term

What’s Tesla, 4 years bumper to bumper, 8 years drivetrain and battery? But only 80,000 km and 192,000km respectively.

And that’s considered good. No other brand matches them. Kia/hyundai, are they the ones with the 7/8 year full warranty too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hyundai 10yrs bumper to bumper in the US, can never understand why not here. Hyundai 7 years here.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Is your test drive going ahead this afternoon - keep us updated !! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Hyundai is 5, Kia is 7 I think (in response to slave1 above!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That's not what I'm seeing.

330e msport from 2020 going mid 30s up and that's approaching 4 year old for a car that was ? 55k perhaps.

530e msport, Audi A7, cls merc all making far far above 50 percent at 3 years.

530e MSport was about €62k new in 2020? I know that as we went to trade our 2017 one in. Still actually have it mind you! €55k was for the SE from memory.

So €30k’ish is about 50% give or take?

Obviously it’s not an exact science but if you want to argue over 50% or 54% that’s fine. 50% is well proven rule of thumb for someone buying new today to gauge what the car be worth in 3 years time.

The rest of the cars I’ve no input as this sub forum is about EV’s so based my comment on that.

• Advertisement

In other news.

Excellence Model, test drive arranged for Friday. AWD, 530bhp….Will it tempt me out of the M3P?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I'd be very interested hear your views on how it compares dynamically.

Have a Model Y Dual motor just over 4 months and am already thinking elsewhere.

Not really a slight on the Y at all - it ticks nearly all the boxes really but I don't really look back at it in the car park and it's not a driver's car per say (although for a cuv, it drives very well).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was referring to 330e but 530e is equally valid. A 2020 530e msport is currently high 30s or early 40s. Basically making in excess of 60 percent and these are some of the more fair priced cars due to being relatively easy to Import.

Stuff like current model A7 diesel appear to.be making damn close to 50 percent at 5 year old, never mind 3.

I’ve had 3 Tesla Performances (MS and M3) so it will be interesting. I’ve had 5 cars since 2020 so deffo not a reflection on the Tesla either. More a reflection on me 😂

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Residual values for some cars are currently skewed due to the mammoth price increases over the last 2 years.

A new 530e is now €75K for example.

A7 TDI’s are now like hen’s teeth, only 9no. 2020 - 2023 models for sale on DD currently and not viable to import anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Exactly, inflation plates a big role in residuals as 2nd hand car prices are directly proportional to their new counterparts.

Hopefully we get some test drive write ups soon. Come to think of it, since the batch of first look and short reviews a while back, there's been very little content about the cars for the IE/UK markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Black/grey interior much nicer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I'm the opposite, can't stand dark interiors and think the lighter one look much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement

One thing I won’t enjoy, when in portrait mode on that rotating screen, if you get a call or text, the screen auto rotates back to landscape and over rides the map display. That seems like a bit of software bug that should be mapped out.

Press cars mentioned it and it on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

What's the drone like target cross hair on the arm rest?

Key card placement.

place it, start it, put it away. I’m preying they come out with some form of phone key like tesla, carrying a key or card is such a pita first works problem nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

You can start & unlock car from phone using the app, but maybe you mean some way to add a "key" to your phone wallet so you just wave phone at car to unlock it the way you can add a credit card to pay with? Hard to see why that would not be possible.

You have to enter a pin code into the app to start the car so probably more handy in a case where you lose or forget to bring keys rather than being the standard way you enter the car.

With Tesla you keep your phone in your pocket. Walk up to car. Open, get in and drive.

That’s the level of convenience tech I’d expect to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

It is a brilliant feature and should be standard on any new EV. Other brands will catch up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Test drive done and have to say very impressed.

TLDR: We had been looking at the Model Y and 3 vs the BYD Seal and I think the Seal has sealed the deal(Sorry). Going to put the order in for an Atlantis Grey Design trim for January delivery

My findings starting with the all important ADAS system:

- Driver's assistance system was mostly okay. Lane keep assist barely alerted me on my 20 min drive and when it did it was fine, slight nudge and a low tone. When the car camera picks up a new speed limit(TSR) it makes a barely audible bong which is fine too. The speed limit warning though was quite a loud warning bing, from what I could tell if you are in a 50km/h zone as detected by the TSR and you're going between 50-55 the speed icon just flashes on the instruments panel but if you go above the 55 then it activates the warning tone. I don't mind it to be honest as long as it works as designed. I would rarely be going 5km/h above the speed limit but I would be worried that the camera hasn't picked up a speed sign properly when moving from say a 50 to 60 zone and then it would be driving you mad I think. I could be wrong(I hope) but I looked around the menu and I don't think it can even be turned off, I checked both 'Driving Assist' and 'Active Safety' sub menus. Lane assist can definitely be turned off though.

- We both agreed it was the nicest EV we've driven so far and we've driven quite a few in the last few weeks. Not just acceleration wise which you get from every EV but everything like handling, driver position, parking, default level of regen braking.

- Interior is so much more refined and has a higher quality feel/appearance than the Atto 3 which we test drove 2 weeks ago. 

- The instrument panel is often an afterthought(i.e. Skoda) or not there completely(i.e. Tesla) but it's really nice on the Seal. 

- Definitely the black interior for us with kids under 10 but neither of the test cars they had there had the light blue interior. Probably something I would go for if young children weren't involved.

- Really liked the dual wireless phone chargers, very similar to Tesla Model Y we also test drove recently. I seen some reports that if the phone moves slightly then an annoying 'Your Phone is now charging' message can frequently pop up on the main screen. I didn't find that happening at all and we had 2 phones charging during the whole test drive. Maybe something they've fixed with an update recently.

- Looks like it will take the kids seats fine and still lots of room for adults in the front which had been a concern for us. It'll be a nice change of pace from the family friendly tanks we've been driving for a long time now. In fact the rear passenger room is very impressive for the size of car it is(i.e. mid size saloon), not far off a Skoda Superb which is class leading in that regard. I think all the hype about the integrated blade battery might be actually true.

- Boot size is another concern for us but it looks fine, quite wide and long but not much height. We'll be finished with buggy within the next year so even less of a need for a huge boot than we've had in the last 10 years. Might be tight on longer trips within Ireland and all our luggage but I think we'll manage. 

- We're only interested in the Design RWD model but they only had the AWD to drive. I had read that the active dampeners on the AWD can result in an almost bouncy ride but it felt fine to me. 

- The buttons on middle console are different to the Atto but not in a good way, they are still tactile but not clearly separated so you have to look down while driving to ensure you're pressing the right one.

- I preferred the gear lever on the Atto but the "crystal selector" or whatever they call in Seal is fine.

- Would've like to have driven it on a really sunny day to see how the tinted sunroof holds up, I was in the rear seat for half of the test drive. On an autumn day like today though it's a lovely feature to have as it brightens things up inside.

- In the spec it says "Driver's seat position memory", I took this to mean that you could have different positions remembered based on driver profile like in the Tesla but it's not unfortunately. When you open the door it automatically brings the seat back a little to make it easier getting out/in and then when you start the car it brings the seat back to whatever the previous driving position was. That's definitely helpful but pity no proper multiple seat position memory.

- Parking sensors and 360 camera were a joy to use compared to awful 'Tesla Vision' we experienced on the Model Y last week.

- HUD which is only included on the AWD excellence was nice but I don't mind not having it on the Design trim we're going for.

- Navigation wasn't setup yet on the car we were driving which was disappointing. Salesman said they just haven't gotten around to it since it's been out driving non-stop since they received it yesterday.

- The BYD voice control is surprisingly good. I did try have it turn off Lane Departure Assist but she was having none of it, you have to go into the menus on screen for that kind of thing, everything else was quickly understood though.

- Atlantis Grey is a lovely colour and I'm glad it was on the car we drove so easy decision for us. My head might have been turned by the extra 1.5k Indigo Grey but I'm not going to fork out that much extra without seeing it in person first.

- Nearly forgot to mention that indicators are on the right hand stalk which was just weird and more than once I activated the wipers when trying to indicate. Something you'd get used to quickly I suppose.

EDIT: Forgot to mention as well the artificial low hum(whine almost) in low speeds is really noticeable within the car, at lot of reviews I've seen mention this as well. A bit strange why it's so loud within the car, hopefully something than can be lowered a bit with a future update

If I think of anything else I'll add it but feel free to ask any questions

Post edited by youcancallmeal on

If you want to satisfy your curiosity before committing to the order, get over to BYD North Dublin to view the light blue interior as they have one in the showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Thank you for taking the time to report back in such a detailed way! Really looks a huge amount of car for the money and seems it shipped with the new assistance update. People in other markets have commented on ability to set memory profiles for seats so wonder if that's hidden somewhere in the menus.

Mad to me how reviewers have missed something as substantial as the indicator stalk being the wrong way around but maybe that's just me as I'm not a fan of the Japanese stuff 😅

P.S. how long was the test drive, and was it accompanied? Always prefer heading out with car myself without having someone interrupt.

Post edited by djan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wasn't accompanied. It was myself, wife and daughter in the rear for about 35 minutes. Went down the N11 and back, crazy how fast it gets up to 80km/h and once there you really dont feel/hear you're going that fast. My daughter thought it was hilarious to keep saying 'Hey BYD turn on the drivers heated seat' 😅 But on the flip side she could open her own window by saying 'Hey BYD open the rear left window". Handy to have so I can leave the controls back there off for the younger one but older can open hers with voice command

Advertisement