Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're right, we have already seen what MAGA might do. And it was squashed pretty quickly when somebody in charge decided to squash it. You can't let these people hold the country hostage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone in the USA in a position of power to resist Trump or perceived as such by the MAGA loons.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For sure, but it gets even trickier again when those MAGA dolts now have a distinct hand in government too, I should have also added. Congress' gavel now in the hands of a fully fledged MAGA / religious extremist, and various MAGA heads dotted about Congress + the Senate. Drop the hammer too heavily, at the wrong time in the wrong context and suddenly those federal institutions have Washington looking over their shoulder. This does require a certain deftness of touch and I do somewhat respect the slow and methodical approach being taken here. Everything has to be beyond reproach 'cos while the cultists are a lost cause, at the same time the federal apparatus has been seen to be about as measured as possible, even erring on the side of deferential towards Trump's madness

The MAGA dolts were running the country at the time.

well thankfully they dont all seem to be spineless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Despite all of Trump’s legal issues and the mountain of evidence against him, at this moment in time I consider his chances of being elected worrying high.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Definitely. He'll almost certainly be the GOP nominee, regardless of 14th Amendment cases (as he'll likely tie those up long enough in appeals even on the off-chance the decision went against him, which I don't see happening), and none of the other GOP candidates are going to get close enough to beat him at this stage. Pence has already dropped out, and DeSantis will almost inevitably end up clicking his heels three times and going home.

Which means even if Trump is campaigning from prison, he'll be the GOP nominee, and he'll be using his prosections to turn himself into a martyr.

Obviously, at that stage it comes down to the fact that since the last election, Trump hasn't done anything to win over any voters (and has likely lost a good chunk of moderates), and Biden hasn't really done anything egregious to lose any voters (though his age and the fact he's done very little to motivate anyone to campaign or even vote for him will work against him), so as per usual it'll come down to a small amount of people in a small amount of states. Because f*ck logical voting systems that actually reflect the will of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's a timeline where Trump wins yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think that, for the reasons that Penn has given, Trump will be the GOP nominee and will therefore have a 50:50 chance based on the US' broken system. Biden has been pretty good for the most part but America's ills are going to need more than "pretty good". Then again, most Americans seem to be happy enough with a dysfunctional electoral system, health insurance profiteering, regular shootings and so on.

If he couldn't win in 2020, it's hard to see how he does it in 2024 with his rape convictions, his impeachments and everything else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The problem with "MAGA might do" is that we already have "MAGA HAVE done".

They have already killed people

They have already threatened to kill people

They have already attempted to overthrow the government

They have already committed electoral fraud

They have already threatened rape and assault of even members of the party to which they supposedly belong

They have already intimidated voters

They have already committed treason

So, the know this is what they might do because this is what they have ALREADY done. This is not supposition. All the above are proven, certified, FACTS. Often live on TV (Despite cultists on this thread actually trying to tell us it didn't happen. Remember, some of them think they were getting guided tours. They ACTUALLY tried to convince people here that that's what happened. NEVER forget the midset that thought that)

So yeah, the problem with "What MAGA might do" is compounded by "What MAGA HAVE done". And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is terrorism. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump I think will have to have been found guilty of Jan 6th incitement or seeking to stop Biden's ratification for the 14th Amendment to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Don Jr. testifying today. Woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'd say there will be a huge line outside of court.... And a few people queuing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

There might be a huge line of something else before court.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The main logistical problem the Secret Service will have with Trump going to prison is how are they going to get a golf cart into the exercise yard.

Im sure they'll figure it out.

Don Jr has gone with the Manuel defence, 'I know nothing!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

His videos are hilarious, all the hands and air quotes, what is he actually on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's going to get interesting as this goes on.

Don Jr is basically saying he doesn't really understand all this "business stuff" and relies on other people to tell him what to do.

Are the entire Trump family going to try to claim that none of them really understand how all this real-estate stuff works and they simply sign contracts where and when they are told by various random people in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was only following Dad’s orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Trump restored himself to position of Trustee on the 15th of January?

That certainly presents his continuing claim that the election was stolen in a whole new light doesn't it🤨

The 🤡 really is a gift to prosecutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If only the great Kennedy genes infiltrated the crazy carcass of RFK Jr.

https://x.com/TheGoodLiars/status/1670546608159703040?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I find it much easier to believe that that is a movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See, I see this and just think the guy has some mental issues that in any other country might have been addressed with therapy or medicine; but cos Americas healthcare is a disgrace , especially good mental health services, he has just spiralled into whatever destructive fantasy he has made for himself. God knows where his family figure in this but I just feel sad watching the clip; the guy has problems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In fairness, if he lived in Ireland or the UK or anywhere else I doubt that much would have been done about someone with even that level of fantasy/conspiracy theory -unless he had family that were prepared to fight for him, and even then it would be an uphill battle. I do agree with you about him having problems, but conspiracy theories apart he is probably able to function on a day to day basis, and people can have whatever political (or religious, or paranormal etc) theories they wish without intervention. And unfortunately they also have a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

In a nutshell, if Trump loses this civil trial, he loses his business license in NYC meaning he cannot do business there anymore, so does this mean he will lose most of his fortune, also has he actually lost Trump Tower or is this something he faces losing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well he will have to sell trump tower and possibly mar a lardo and doonbeg as I doubt he's got much on the way of liquidity to pay for the fines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If he loses he would have to close down all his businesses in NY State - He can't transfer ownership to another shell company somewhere else etc.

They would all be sold off by a court appointed person and the proceeds would be used to settle his fines - Think they are looking for $250M in penalties.

So , yes he'd lose Trump Tower and everything else he owns via his businesses in New York State.

The bigger question is whether of not he'd actually have $250M in cash left after selling everything because most of the properties have loans against them (for more than they are truly worth which is part of the point of the court case) and when they go on the market it'll be a bit of a fire-sale as everyone will know that they have to be sold so they'll low-ball the offer prices.

For example , if Trump Tower is actually worth $100M on the open market, he might only get offers of ~$80M and then on top of that Trump could owe most of that in loans that would need to be settled so he could sell everything but still be well short of the amount needed to pay the fines.

If he has to make up some amount of the balance on the $250M then he might have to sell other properties outside NY as well and given the attention even if he tried to borrow against them he won't get as much as he might like because the valuations etc. will be scrutinized to the Nth degree.

Realistically though , even if he loses Trump will tie everything up in appeals until the end of time. But he'll still lose control of his companies and properties in NY and a court appointed person would run the company (or at least be required to sign off on every single detail) while the appeals are ongoing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement