Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Completely disagree. It was an awful setup from the start. And ended with a very I'll Sir Bobby being rolled out in the media to be grilled about terrible results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,230 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I could be wrong but wasn't Stan just a penny pinching appointment which wasn't repeated only because O'Brien put in money ring fenced for the managers salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Stan and Kenny in a league of their own no doubt but my memory is that Stans nightmare didn't go on for as long as Kenny's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Anyone else having problems renewing season tickets for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No they replaced Stan after one campaign as Denis O'Brien came in with his millions to help the FAI overpay on managers for the next ten years.

Just going on yesterday's news about the full-time scholarships that the lads are starting up. If you go on the €15k figure you could put 60 kids through full-time education/training for €900k a year. That's three full teams per year.

Imagine where we'd be if we took that route rather than pouring money into the pension funds of Trap and MON. That's before getting into the overpaid assistants with Keane supposedly on similar money that we can only pay our manager now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Imagine what? This strategy isn’t going to make Ireland more likely to qualify for tournaments like MoN & Trap achieved.

this is a good strategy to protect players if their dreams of playing pro football don’t succeed.

but I don’t follow your “imagine if” angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have a feeling the negative vibes around the next International window will squarely resolve the selection criteria for the next manager around a much more appropriate reality of trying to qualify for things. The party Kenny and his fans enjoyed is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,808 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's a tough one.

There's only a limited about of money available. Do you spread it thinly over a large amount of players, or apply it to a few players with a lot of promise? I don't know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭McFly85

The next manager shouldn’t get as much leeway as Kenny imo. We’ve gone from having one of the oldest international squads to the second youngest I think with the overhaul he was asked to do.

That should mean that a new manager can come in and continue the job and hopefully get more out of them.

We’ve little chance of qualifying directly from our group for the WC so we really need to start doing well in the nations league to have any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Kenny got a lot of leeway but there were reasons for that as you said. But i really dont think we are good enough to work in 2 year cycles. Given the level of investment at home, we have little to no chance of qualifying for a WC for years. The Euros has to be the aim. I think we should be looking for 4 year cycles with a review after 2. Put that into a contract, based on certain criteria you get 4 years, you dont meet those you're gone after 2 and the pay off will be X. We really need to get away from short term-ism here. Senior team in reality has been generally below average over the last 30 years with 3 good campaigns, 2 were decent showings at the tournament and the other is the joint worst performance at a Euros (i think anyway).

A big conversation across football here is needed. Do we just want to get to a tournament and have a big piss up and go home or do we want to see the team turn up and put in a real effort and aim for a 1/4 or 1/2 final. The 2012 Euros was a depressing watch. My 2 cents!

• Advertisement

I don't think consistently losing games sets you up for some big reveal in a tournament in 5 cycles time.

My own view is everyone in Irish football needs to wake up to the reality that the Nations League matters a very great deal, as it offers us a pathway to playoffs against nations in similar rankings brackets as ourselves. Poor performance there needs much greater scrutiny. In retrospect the thing that sunk Kenny was performing poorly in Nations League games. The groups proper (Greece and Luxembourg excepted) could largely be accepted, but not getting the job done in the Nations League leaves you with no outs.

I don't think the football media has fully grasped this yet, and the public definitely has not. They are seen as 'fancy friendlies' or 'kinda competitive' games. The UEFA landscape has changed, and the Nations League is designed for nations like ourselves that need more games against equivalent sides to improve.

2012 may have been poor, but we had the two finalists in our group. 2002 and 2016 were electric summers that delivered stunning unforgettable individual moments. That's what we are chasing. We can dismiss the "piss up" angle, but the fans tend to have some of the better times of their lives at these yokes. Plus the anticipation of a tournament you are in, the draw and the nervous energy before the first game. Being there is always going to be a million times better than not being there and waxing lyrical about 'playing football the right way' so we can eventually win the tournament when we make it decades later.

But the new appointment needs to perform acceptably in the Nations League. We need to get results from the off and a hard question needs to be asked after the initial Nations League cycle about whether it looks like it can work or not. You may have to part ways after the World Cup, but we need to understand that is essentially two cycles of competitive games in the time it used to take us to get through a single cycle. Everything is accelerated and we need to review and react much quicker than we did with Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I agree that the Nations League is more important than people realise. Additionally, it is more difficult because you are up against direct rivals and teams a lot closer to your level. There are no minnows that are guaranteed six points. And there are less games: Get off to a bad start and you're stuffed.

The margins for error are a lot finer and, as has been seen under Kenny, he's not getting results against teams in and around our level. In an alternate universe, had Ireland been relegated to League C, I wonder if that would have helped him build confidence in the players against "easier" teams.

C League teams…like Greece and Luxembourg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Read that post again, specifically:

'I wonder if it would have...'

Alternatively, it might have shown that it was completely unsuitable from the get-go and poor results in that NL campaign might have seen Kenny moved on sooner.

The NL is the clearest indicator of where a team is and we're firmly in the B group i.e. NOT in the top 16 of European football.

There are 16 UEFA spots for the next WC so it's unlikely we'll qualify at this time. There are 23 spots for Euro 24 so competing for these is, according to UEFA rankings, where we should be and, as incredible and unlikely as it may be, we are still in with a chance of making it.

I don't think Kenny has done a good job and I'm happy for someone else to come in but he hasn't been the abject failure people are making him out to be.

I think the fact we managed to avoid relegation in the campaign with Bulgaria counted against the whole team, not Kenny specifically. It would have allowed a young team in transition to gradually gain experience against weaker teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭McFly85

The Euros is a good aim for group qualifying, but we shouldn’t persist with someone if they’re not performing based on the nations league/WC campaign.

I was fully behind Kenny getting longer than that because he was changing the team so much and there was an upturn in form at the end of the WC campaign. We were scoring more goals and getting better results - but that form did not continue through the nations league or Euro campaign. We always seemed to be starting from square one again.

The new manager will benefit from Kenny’s work with the squad as we have a young team with a decent amount of international experience - so I would be looking for results to pick up sooner rather than later.

A 2 year contract with a review after the Nations League/WC campaign is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bar the loss in Armenia I thought our form in the last NL campaign was probably our level tbh. Think we underestimated Scotland and we did get a very good home result against them. Ukraine are also a very good team with technically better players than ours. I think the NL shows that the squad is just thoroughly average atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've a feeling that it will be Carsley who will be appointed as the next manager. I think if the FAI come calling he might find it hard to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭trashcan

Some goon on that thread was going on about “LOI fanboy f##kwits”. In a rare moment of red mist descending I responded in kind and told him what he could do with himself and what I thought of him. I got a warning from a moderator and my post deleted. Now, I’ll admit, my language was intemperate, bot the mod was obviously fine with the first comment about LOI supporters. I made this point in a message to the mod, but of course he hadn’t the decency or the courage to respond. That thread is a sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I mean that's take alright but what kind of money do you think Trap and MoN raised for the FAI?

The France/Denmark play offs (France particularly) raise good money even if we lost them.

Oviously qualification twice was huge with one of them leading to a knockout game against Hosts France.

I'd say you'd be hard pressed, financially or otherwise, to see the salary as anything than a sound investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ogbene scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

Don't know how he played but glad to see Nathan Collins playing with a clean sheet after being subbed and dropped for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

Parrot scored off the bench today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I don’t know who he is but someone playing for Dortmund is very similar in looks to Cyrus Christie?

edit- it’s the goal scorer nmecha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Scales was brilliant tonight. He had been performing well but looked under pressure at times to be expected in the first two games, tonight he didn't put a foot wrong against a real top drawer side. Getting better all the time. A left sided centre back is always a great asset.

Celtic have a couple of other cbs coming back from injury but Scales is first pick right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Agreed. Thought last night against genuinely top class opposition looked very good. Arguably his best performance to date in a Celtic shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Travers recalled back to Bournemouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,808 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Collins didn't put a foot wrong against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya he was good yesterday Collins. He has deserved the criticism of late but in fairness has settled little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Ferguson becomes the first teenager since Rooney to score 10 PL goals in a calendar year. He should net another 10 or so in the next year and be fourth all time behind Owen, Fowler and Rooney.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Nice goal too. I like that he doesn't take that one touch too many that a a lot of players do and gets his shot away in a timely manner and has the accuracy. Not many have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thought the ladies were supposed to be playing at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They are. Just don’t think it’s on TV. LiveScore shows it as interrupted about ten minutes ago. No score about half way through second half.

EDIT - Better info below. I just turned on TV to see The Big Ban Theory. I’d rather have watched the rain in Albania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's on the RTE News channel now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭secman

Terrible in final 3rd tonight, poor decisions and poor finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭secman

And they score; better finish = goal

Made hard work of it, but finally made the breakthrough. Great that the pressure finally told though, just kept plugging away.

Really messy game under mad circumstances - must be very hard to cool down totally for an hour, and then have to get back up to speed - so just getting the win and moving on is enough out of tonight.

That's also Nations League promotion sealed now too, will be in the A League next time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That's fairly crucial for Euro 2025 qualification as well.

Devilishly complicated but from what I can see the next Nations League (starting in March) has direct qualification only from League A, with the Top 2 in each League A group qualifying automatically. Third and fourth in each League A group go into various layers of playoff against the top two from each group of league B and the winners of groups in League C. So being in League A is a huge advantage.

We could obviously still get a mare League A group (two of England, Spain, France, Germany etc) but we are at worst guaranteed playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Looks good

The girls have been joy to watch. I know big gap between Albania and France/Spain etc but pretty much every goal they have scored has been a nice goal to watch and execute.

If mens team got goals like women we be raving about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

But they're not the men's team. It's nice to see them do well and obviously i support any irish team but to compare them to the men's team or the media attention/general attention the men's team gets is just naivety.

Enjoy it for what it is and don't deminish their achievements by comparing it to the men's game.

Their point was valid though, simply that the women's team are playing comparatively better football than the mens team. Don't think there's a problem with saying that. Their comparative level is what the men should be aspiring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Poyet making more comments about wanting to manage Ireland. He seems to be angling for a new contract with Greece and conjuring up a link with us out of nothing to move that along.

He's talking nonsense trying to get a better contract for himself. "The atmosphere was incredible" he said of the game last month. I was the and can tell you it was by some distance the most muted atmosphere I've ever experienced at Landsdowne Road in the 25 years I've been going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Scales had a perfectly good goal disallowed in a 3-0 win today despite VAR available to review it.

Collins with lovely winner for Brentford today. Lovely power on header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Troy Parrott started for Excelsior today and played 78 minutes.

Festy Ebosele starts for Udinese against Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Great goal from Finn Azaz today, got an assist too. Definitely worth calling up for NZ match.

https://twitter.com/tatsumakibones/status/1720829332103561514

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement