Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

So Energia are offering better rates over the phone than they are online?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

So is Energia the best option right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There’s no best option for everyone it all depends on your usage etc, put your details into bonkers and see what they advise as the cheapest for you

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Rang EI and was through to their CS in minutes, then to loyalty team. Offered me 8.5% discount (Same as I have now) + 150 EUR credit.

I am on smart meter, low usage of both gas and electricity so it is the best option I have according to my own excel file calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi,

I am with Electric Ireland, and the contract will expire after two weeks.

I am on 8.5% Discount for Electricity and Gas. Home Electric + Sunday Weekender.

Could I ring Electric Ireland and look for a discount/cashback?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah. If you don't ask you won't get ..

No idea tbh. But haggle and say you've been offered a bigger discount/better rate elsewhere

Bit confused when trying to check on Bonkers.

I signed up with SSE in August 2022, on a 1 Year Home Dual Fuel 33%/33%

Bonkers doesn't have this deal there to input when it asks for the current plan. Maybe this is because I am now out of contract with SSE, even though they are still my provider.

I chose to input my discount % which I input as 33%.

When it says how much I spend bi-monthly, I input the number from my latest bill which is 274.66 for electricity and 153.08 for gas (Every 2 months, but the figures change every month, usually going higher)

I left the option for cashback and available for immediate sign-ups enabled, and I only got 2 offers and both said I would loose like 300 euro swapping to them.

Surely can't be right with the new rates coming in at different places

• Advertisement

Bonkers is not 100% Accurate. They won't have the new rates live just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Going from a 33% discount to a 15% discount is the same as a 27% increase in your bills.

You just had the dumb luck to sign up to one of the last good discounts before they were withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Untick the available for signups checkbox, you'll see the other offers then.

Check switcher too, I think it's better

Damn I hope its not the case, I thought I would be able to get cheaper as right now it's pretty high I think

Will try Switcher too, for the options I can only put in how much I use per year. Is there an easy way to get this or I need to go through all my bills and add it up?

EDIT

Can actually see each reading on SSE website nvm

DOUBLE EDIT

On Switcher I see Flogas as cheapest annually at €2,588.40, available to switch. However it shows Energia there too as €2,418.36, but not available on Switcher.

On Bonkers I see Energia Smart Data 10% €1,534.67 annually, not sure why theres like a 1k difference between them

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Just to clarify, as another poster advised, you do not want to tick the box that says something like 'Only show offers available for sign-up through Bonkers' etc. This LIMITS the plans available.

Also, you are much better off putting in a figure for your annual consumption rather than bi-monthly. This can be worked out by looking at two bills a year apart and subtracting the two meter readings from each other to get the difference, which is the amount of units used.

Finally, you should ideally be comparing any new plans with the rates you are currently on, i.e. no longer SSE with 33% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Input your current unit rates and your rough Kwh usage per annum to get a more accurate picture. Do it separately for gas & electricity too. And switch now, as you are out of contract and paying silly standard SSE rates

Yeah so I calculated my yearly usage by just going to SSE meter readings and adding up the past year worth of readings, which I guess is the same right?

And when you talk about comparing plans to rates I'm currently on, I'm not sure exactly what I am on now since I am out of contract, so I guess I'm just paying some base level thing. I put in the 33% on SSE but I don't know what price plan I should select if I should be comparing it to out of contract rates.

If a lot of the plans don't go into effect until mid November, I can still switch now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FullMetalRacket

Just renewed contract with Electric Ireland and I'm a little confused. I had 14% discount and 0.3970 unit rate. Rang up and after some haggling I was given 14% discount and 0.3505 rate (home electric+ 24hr). Waiting for email to confirm details, because I'm quite confused as to where this rate came from. I used the retool.com link to upload my smart meter data and it shows this exact plan with 5.5% discount and 0.3376 unit price, and the Electric Ireland website shows 8.5% discount and 36.80. So now I'm just waiting for the email to confirm the details. Anyone know why is there such a discrepancy? did I get a good rate or is energia cheaper? they do not make it easy to compare prices at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭greasepalm

As said by others i went in and noted all usage over a year in kwh and totalled the figure to see what i use , no smart meter or other to make things difficult.

Check the unit rate on pricing and the standing charge going.

Back of your paper bill should have more info or if online second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Energia folk, make sure your sign up letter/email matches the rate you signed up to. Mine is considerably more, waiting for a call back from sales now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi all,

out of contract with BG since yesterday and the are offering 15% effectively increase bill by 150euro from last year 1660 to 1800€ based off 4600kwh usage.

looking at SSE and energia,dont like the Yuno smart meter hoops to jump.

whats the consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

% discounts mean nothing IMO.

What is the exact unit rate of electricity & standing charge they are offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've finally sat down and done my figures. I'm trying to see if it's worthwhile changing to a D/N meter if Flogas will give me the BWG 33.38/14.75. I keep accurate track on the cars usage. Since the last meter reading taken on the 24th of August: units used 1709, car used 379, house used 1330, total cost 1709*.2999=€512

On D/N it would be car 379*.1475=€56

House 1330*.3338=€444

Total=€500

So even without changing any house habits I'd be saving money, standing charges for both meters is identical so it makes no difference to my calculations. I don't think I'm missing anything am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The rate and discount are good for EI they didn't give you a credit of either 100 or 150 EUR, you need to push for it.

Otherwise input your info in Bonkers/Switcher to see if any other company is cheaper. I suspect without the 100 or 150 EUR credit Énergie will be the cheapest for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

you won't get to switch to the BWG d/n rate, even if you're already on the BWG flat rate. I tried that last week and it is the sales team who you have to talk to - who won't entertain it as the "offer is not available anymore".

their current day night rate is 38.81/18.81

Any one still got the phone number for Electric Ireland retention team?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

I phoned energia today and was offered 15 percent off rates opposed to their 10 percent on the website. This seems to be the cheapest I can get at the moment. Will definitely make sure the rate quoted on the phone is the one I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They're bad rates indeed. I joined Flogas in April on the 24hr fixed rate. I then got them to order the D/N meter in July, at that time the agent tried pulling that stunt, offer is gone blah blah blah... I emailed CS complaining that as a BWG customer 🫣 I should be getting the BWG rate for my new meter. I got a reply advising that I needed to ring CS and verbally agree to the new rates that would apply whenever the meter was installed, which I did on the 14th of July. Last Friday 27th your man arrived to install the meter, I didn't get it installed as it's has been over 3 months since the phone call and I was afraid I'd end up on those horrible rates you've quoted.

I've done the figures on the energia 36c/8c plan, coupled with their lower standing charge there's very little it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

That BWG offer is long gone. However energia have a a smart meter day/night plan which they say is a replica of their dump D/N plan. Maybe you can get on that without changing meter at all. It's 38 day and 18 night and 296 standard charge. Also people getting slightly better offers by ringing energia

Advertisement