Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting article in Yahoo about why so many storefronts are vacant in the US. All a matter of economics - depending on the tenant, it might be more profitable for the landlord to leave it empty than rent it out, and better for landlords to rent to big chains (Starbucks, Citibank, Sephora) than smaller entrepreneurs. "The magic of capitalism" and puts paid to the 'lawless downtowns' meme so common in RW media these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The speaker introducing one doesn't mean one will pass, particularly as the Republicans do not control the Senate. It might not even pass the House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

Caveman: your first post misses the point entirely. Your second post is simply a disgusting attempt to stir up hatred.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pretending to care about the situation in the middle east as an excuse to dump links and take cheap shots. Disgusting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He really did lose half his arab american voting base, though. Mostly over his denialism of civilian casualties.

They aren't guaranteed to show up at all in November.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a long way out yet and Trump has only just started vocalising his "ideas" for another Muslim ban and ideological tests for immigrants etc.

The risk is that they sit out the election , not that they vote for the GOP.

Correct on the latter part. But look at what happened in 2016.

It wasn't that large portions of voters voted for Republicans, it's that they stayed home. Hillary Clinton lost multiple major key states because of that.

And unless it really is Trump in 2024 (which it may well be but there is still so much fuckery right now to say) there is still not a guarantee they show up even then if Trump is able to run a campaign to keep them out - and one readily exists: Biden's Afghanistan pullout, Biden's Israel policy, Biden's denialism of civilian casualties, including Arab-Americans and the families of Arab-Americans. It would be a serious error to think Biden can just hope this blows over by November, it requires some form of redress. Otherwise Arab-American voters have a choice between 2 turd sandwiches neither of whom appear to care about them or their loved ones. Subsequently, they sit out, and that shaves another razor across the margins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/01/bidens-dismissal-reported-palestinian-death-toll/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whatever about the morals of the situation, Biden was on a hiding to nothing electorally speaking. There is no path he could follow that would not at least temporarily bleed support.

As to his performance, I think it is clear and obvious that the US has applied some degree of restraint onto Israel. It is clearly not sufficient, but I don't think the US is in as powerful a position to dictate things as others do. Netanyahu is too deep in **** to listen to any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

And by people who would claim with a straight face that they are against "identity politics".

Fringe republicans really hope America is stupid enough to blame Biden for their weaselly attempt to give billionaires another tax break not taking flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The US funds and supplies Israels military, they could cut them off in the morning if they so chose to do.

Netanyahu is a big bully because he has the US backing him, he wouldnt be so confident if the US renounced him which of course they wont do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yeah. America has a lot of power over Israel in that regard. Biden asked for what was it $11b? in military aid for Israel last week. Hi Ben don’t be such a **** or you won’t get the “aid”. Apparently Israel has the right to “defend” itself by slaughtering thousands of kids and gets rewarded with billions of dollars in return. Biden actually makes me feel sick, if he came back to Ireland I doubt he’d get as positive of welcome. I certainly would have had an overall positive rather than negative opinion of him before this even though he was doting tit. Not anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you back any of that up or is this more fake concern?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The way the post is worded suggests that it's an excuse to take shots at Biden based on disinformation.

Well, it's kicking down the doors of Congress for one, the connection is pretty clear between US taxdollars and helping children get bombed. And clear the political pressure it places on Congress and on Biden:

And I think its just a matter of fair analysis, Biden already got up and speeched, they have to obey the laws of war; if they don't what choice is he going to have but some sort of sanctioning response.

When polled Americans overwhelmingly do not support what's happening in current form:

Biden could veto the aid bill over the IRS cut, he could also veto it because of how they've conducted themselves. At least I think that is fair to surmise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Blinken is a warmongering hawk.

Biden made a catastrophic mistake making Blinken secretary of state.

Blinken was a top aide to Biden when the then-Senator voted to authorize the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and Blinken helped Biden develop a proposal to partition Iraq into three separate regions based on ethnic and sectarian identity.

He supported the war in Iraq- had an advisory role in the G. W. Bush government.

Advocated the over throw of Gaddafi in Libya in 2011

Supported the Saudi invasion of Yemen 2015.

Supports the Likud party in Israel in the trampling of rights of Palestinians.

Most worryingly he is the founder of WestExec, a consulting firm for defense contractors which is a clear conflict of interest, making any policy advice he gives highly suspect and likely tainted by his ongoing involvement with WestExec.

He should be in jail along with many more of his colleaguse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If Biden had come down on Israel, he'd have lost support of the Jews. If he goes soft on Israel, he loses the support of Arabs. Thing is, both the Democrats and the Republicans know who has the biggest leverage with regards to power in America and it certainly isn't the Arab community, so there was really only one path open to him.

I would also like to think that Biden and the admin were over there trying to talk the Israelis down from doing even worse things than they've already done. But I don't know if that's actually been the case. Looking at how casually callous they've been toward civilian death and the destruction of people's homes and livelihoods, it's hard to imagine that there's been any discussion on restraint at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it has already been wildly acknowledged that the US was responsible for reopening electricity and water supplied to southern gaza.

Now "that's not enough" is a perfectly reasonable response to that but they are definitely doing something. This is existential for Netanyahu though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭eire4

There is zero chance Biden will have to veto this bill it will never reach his desk. There are 18 Republicans in the house in districts won by Biden so its questionable whether the Republicans even have the votes to get it out of the house. But if they even do that its dead on arrival in the senate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - I'd say it has a less than 50% chance of getting out of the House and then it's instantly dead in the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

So he should be in jail for supporting pretty much what every American did at the time and founding a consulting firm, ok.

For such a warhawk why did the US leave Afghanistan and why not a single American boot on ground in Ukraine...

The Americans are always going to side with Israel regardless of who is in the WH.

You have huge % of Americans who will do anything to keep Jerusalem out of Arab hands.

Post edited by rossie1977 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Kamala Harris is another wretched soulless POS. At this stage the USA has lost any integrity when it comes to commenting on what’s good and bad in this world. I’m disgusted with them. I’d expect this of the republicans but the democrats have proven themselves to be absolute soulless pos as well.

US vice president Kamala Harris has refused to comment on Israel's bombing of the Jabalya refugee camp in northern Gaza, which hospital officials say killed more than 50 Palestinian civilians.

"We are not telling Israel how it should conduct this war, and so I'm not going to speak to that," she said, during a trip to London.

Absolute *****

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

You either know nothing about US politics or are completely disingenuous. I think I know which one.

TBF I have my own deep concerns about what is happening under Blinken and Biden. And TBF I would have probably not been as engaged as I have been if it wasn't for the neck of Blinken to go off about "ten 9/11s" which really loosed my goat about this conflict. And we've seen it, the admin is trying to highwire multiple parties, warning off Israel about the war on terror etc. but also... giving them much of the ammunition, literally and figuratively, to do that, 'ten times over' at least. Trying to minimize acknowledging casualties caused by Israel while going on the news every other day to re-eulogize what happened on the 7th and who died on the 7th and how they died, and how they had their 10x 9/11, essentially reiterating Israel's permission to do what it does while trying to balance duelling 'combatting antisemitism' and 'combatting islamaphobia' initiatives from the white house. While Biden has spent about a month now, begging Congress to authorize billions of dollars in both humanitarian and military aid be greenlit for the regime that would gladly take out a refugee camp full of refugees men women and children, the sick, the elderly, if it meant taking out a few targets of interest (they allege, trust us bro)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

.Donegal. threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've been pretty active on the Israeli/Gaza conflict thread and spoke earlier on this thread how I disliked Biden's approach to the conflict.

That being said, if the election was tomorrow, and I had a vote, I would vote for Biden 100 times more than any of the other candidates. What he is doing in Israel is inline with US policy for the last 30+ years and while I disagree with it vehemently, I'm under no illusion that other Presidents would act any differently.

The same goes with the EU (and particularly UVdL) not happy with the overt and immediate alignment with Israel, still a massive supporter of the EU project.

And while I am not happy with Biden and Israel, I don't hold him responsible for Israel's actions. Israel's military and Government (led by Nethanyahu) own their behaviour in the conflict 100% and while America could and should have influenced them to show some restraint, that does not absolve Israel for what it has done or will do.

Biden isn't the only Democrat who is all too quickly supporting Israel's actions. I've no problem calling them out, because I'm not a member of a cult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement