Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

No other numbers, no. My HP is an older one so you can't get the flow rate via the electronic screen, you need to rely on the mechanical meter in the picture.

I actually thought it was the middle of where the float was, not the top, so I would read it as 20 ish...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its unlikely that it will be just a switch or valve that you need to turn to fix it. It will most likely require a plumber so I'd be asking for plumber recommendations rather than advice on how to fix it considering that none of us will know how your system is plumbed/wired/etc.

At a guess maybe a faulty pump. Not something you'd be doing yourself.

Did you get someone out to fix the Solar? Maybe get them out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

I dont have figures for heat pump alone. As I said, its 25 on average this time of year for a full day for all electricity usage. I suspect a large portion of it is going to UFH and Hot water.

The rest of the usage can "only" be lights, fridges, cooking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi folks, getting a Mitsubishi Split heat pump installed in two weeks. Comes with it's own controllers etc.

Just wondering what their controllers etc. are like, I've a hive system at the moment and just wondering if I sell it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Flow temp 26-27c last week.

Yeah the first few months after we built were really bad for electricity consumption. I changed all the setting over a few weeks to get it just right for our house. Major difference after that. Shocking really, the defaults that were on this newbuild heat pump. After tweaking, absolutely delighted how the house and heat pump are performing.

I can understand the horror stories of people that are not familiar with heat pumps.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Is there someone we can pay to come and assess the system and change from the defaults to tailor the system to our home? We had a guy service it last week, but he wasn't interested in tweaking or assessing the efficiency of the system.

Can you access the flow temps of your ufh/rads on your heat pump? The lower you can go the better efficiency, so its really important to be able to control this.

Frankly the installers aren't interested in your electricity consumption, so I find that they set everything up to run in "dumb mode", so as they dont get called back because the heat pump isn't performing.

I would get your manual out and get to grips with the controls, and get the flow temps as low as possible while still maintaining the required set temp of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

What kind of heat pump are you running if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Switched on heating mid month, from past years it will berate out during winter @ 12kwh per day for hot water and under floor. Heating is exclusively night rate @14c. Hot water is about 2kwh of the above and can come on at any time

panels and battery due to go in next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Can we start a heat-pump quotes thread? Same as the solar PV thread. Very interesting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nice. That's a very low flow temperature. I'm assuming you have UFH only, and no rads? Are you manually adjusting that flow temp, or is the heat pump doing it automatically based on ambient air temperatures?

Also in agreement on the "default" settings. Most plumbers don't have a notion how a heat pump actually works, or is meant to operate effectively. They know how to install them and run on the factory settings, but don't optimise them for a given home. The amount of my friends who have pumps with flow temps of 50deg is crazy - because the plumber set it up that way..

How do you check/adjust the flow temps on Joule/Samsung gen 6 system as per my pic above? The manual isn't very clear.

Yes, ufh everywhere no rads. on default settings after commissioning my flow temps were actually in the 40's, madness!

I tried the weather compensation for a while but I didnt like it. So now i set the flow temp manually at 26-28c depending on the outside temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

Looking at the panel a few times this morning my flow has been between 32 and 42 over the course of about 4 hours. Does this sound OK?

UFH downstairs and rads upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fair play, a lot of others would just leave the settings at default and let the bills roll in! I guess you have the advantage of UFH everywhere, whereas I have rads also so need higher flow temps to compensate for them. Currently playing around with temps but 35 degC seems to be doing well for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I have UFH and rads upstairs. They are rarely used tho as the rooms aren't in use normally and seem to be staying in or around the 18 degrees in any event.

I think my UFH is set for 29 degrees. Must have a look this evening to see. Thing is you would be half afraid to make an adjustment in case you make a right hames of it.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Interesting everybody raves abut weather compensation, im beginning think its not all what its cracked up to be. Today flow temp of 29/30 has house nice@22, im thinking im going to switch to constant flow temp and see how that goes as weather gets colder, as if it was say 0deg it would be flow temp would be 37.5 on weather comp. Im trying running it from 12pm to8pm and see how house reacts as running in the cold of the night consumes lots of electricity. Last night shut off heating at 8pm and house still 22 at 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Going full manual will be a guide to where you set the weather compensation, time to get recording!

Eg temperature outside is 9c flow temperature of 30 was fine.

You'll not know how low you can go until you pass it and the house will feel cold.

Yeah i have went to 26 and that didn't warm house enough, going to chance this for few days, just swapped to fixed. House retains heat well and is air tight so il try running for 12-8pm. Generally nobody here long enough in morning to have house at 22.

That's how you know your low enough,

Next time it's freezing you'll see what you will need to rise it to, then you'll have your compensation curve!

Yeah but im thinking like keyno, gonna try fixed temp because if 30 works in lower outside temp and i run for set period and house retains heat i wont need the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Weather compensation has worked for me. I set the curve and adjust it based on how often my girlfriend says the house is cold.

That's the litmus test.

My point on fixed flow temp is that the wc curve doesn't know how well my house retains heat or how quick it heats up. I could set my curve that it runs at 30flow temp @ 0degrees, however, when its say 7 degree outside the flow temp will drop too low and not heat the house. I ran 12-6pm last night @30 flow. My house is still 22 degrees in living areas today. I getting cop above 5 so lots of thermal energy is being transferred to slab during warmest part of the day (12-6). Heat pump running at night is expensive and noisy. I will see how this theory goes in colder weather and may switch back to wc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Can anyone advise if it is possible to increase the hot water (showers, taps..) temperature with our heat pump system. Manual says nothing about it and all our internal controls for rooms are room only for UFH and rads upstairs. Rads get fairly warm when needed but we're finding showers to be a bit warm only and we like a hot shower.

There is a control on the hot tank itself (Joule/Samsung) but I haven't looked at it yet. Manual we received seems directed more to an installer than the end user.

Beverly Hills, California

There should be a DHW temperature setting .

It's a Samsung heatpump, what model number is the heatpump, all joule do is make the tank (and possibly pre plumb it)

should be able to set your dhw schedule, time of day to heat water and temperature. Probably in advanced user settings like daikin maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Would this be set at the tank or what?

Not all systems the same i'm sure but I don't have a clue so as simple as you can explain please :)

Beverly Hills, California

Advertisement