Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Solar panels at home, worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The screen on my Eddi stopped working after a month. No one has come out to replace it.

I disagree. Our Solis is in the attic and there's no app to change the settings. I understand that some people will devote weeks to understanding how the system works but anything that requires deep diving into a manual or YouTube video, really isn't all that user friendly.

If I have to charge one of the EVs during the day because both cars have returned from longer journeys, there's no quick solution to turning off the feed from the house battery.

I think the battery is a waste of money. We are running our system as efficiently as possible and it doesn't create any kind of significant saving. It makes sense to sell back to the grid. If I lived in Australia and had a lot of batteries it would be a completely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I understand that some people will devote weeks to understanding how the system works but anything that requires deep diving into a manual or YouTube video, really isn't all that user friendly.

It's really not that difficult..... Watch the 5 minute video i posted above and once you've changed the settings a few times, you'll know how to do it.

I made an adjustment last night to the time my battery charges at and it took about 25 seconds...

I think the battery is a waste of money.

I don't think you are using the battery to it's full potential... Are you charging the battery at night when you have cheap rate electricity? or are you solely charging the battery from solar excess (of which there will be little to none for the next few months)?

We are running our system as efficiently as possible and it doesn't create any kind of significant saving.

If you are not charging the battery in low production months during cheaper night rate periods, then you are not running the system as efficiently as possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I installed in 2017 and don’t tweek the app at all. It’s a fit and forget system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need to optimise your system better, the battery is great for load shifting in Winter to reduce cost of day rates. PV can perfectly charge EVs, I've put over 15k kms into our two EVs this year and that's with one of us in the office 5 days a week and another in the office 3 days a week...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I will take a look at your video. If there is a quick solution to change the settings based on the time of year or changes in routine, I will definitely take a look into it.

Charging the battery at night is tricky because this is when we charge our EVs and both cars are very different. One will charge within a few hours and the other takes quite a long time, usually 7 hours or more if it's close to empty. In the morning the battery is completely depleted and this time of year stays at around 18% all day as there is very little light. The rest of the house generally runs off the panels as long as an electrical applicance isnt on. There is however at least one person in our house all the time.

We could in theory set the battery where it doesn't feed the house during the night but if a car is plugged in, the battery won't top up anyway so we aren't gaining from topping the battery upon our night rate.

For a short period there in August/September, the energy companies where playing it smart and putting customers on a standard rate with a four hour window at night to charge their car at around 8-11c. It was very hard to find a good standard day, night and peak rate. On this particular plan, the battery was useless as it made more sense to top up the battery during the day using the panels because the night rate was too short and again, our cars used up all that energy anyway.

We are back on a 11pm-6am night rate and it would be great to top up the battery on our night rate but from what I can see this is virtually impossible if you are charging cars with an EV plugged in every night from 11pm-8am. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know when we used to schedule charge one of the cars, if something else in the house was turned on during the night the car would stop charging, probably because of load balancing I expect. I honestly can't see a 67-77kwh car battery charging from 15% to 80% overnight and the house battery being at 90-100% the next morning in this weather. Somebody prove me wrong.

We could in theory set the battery where it doesn't feed the house during the night but if a car is plugged in, the battery won't top up anyway so we aren't gaining from topping the battery upon our night rate.

a car plugged in and charging will have no effect on the house battery charging or not…. And if it does…. Then you have issues with your house wiring…

In the morning the battery is completely depleted

what you need to do then is set the Solis inverter to charge the battery until the time you want it to start being used… In my case this is 8am… so even if the battery is finished charging at 2am, it will not start releasing its energy until 8am… this is how you ensure the battery does not deplete itself into an EV

It honestly sounds like you are just a few tweaks away from having the system set up correctly so I would implore you to go to the renewables thread, or else on the solar owners Facebook group and take on some tips and tricks to fully utilise your system…

I think the difference here is that everyone in your house is out during the day. This is when batteries work best. Nobody at home, the battery tops itself up during the day. Am I wrong? When do we top up the battery if a car is plugged in every night from 11pm-8am and the house is busy all day with dishwashers, electric heaters and induction ovens? The battery is always empty between September and March. We consume about 50kwh per day this time of year.

We know a retired couple. No EV. No kids in the house. There all day. Cooking for two people. One wash a day max. It's a different story for them. The battery works well and they see credit on their bill every month.

I go back to the point that this is about how solar panels and batteries work for households in the future. We live in a big house. No oil or gas. No fires. Two electric cars. We consume a lot of electricity. We gain nothing from having a battery and very little from solar panels during the winter. It's not how our system is set up. We properly planned this with the solar panel company. It all comes back to usage. The more we move away from traditional heating methods and running fossil fuelled cars, the more households will see less benefits from Solar panels. They barely put a dent into our bills and the battery was a waste of money. It's too small and the sole reason for one is that it can be topped up by the panels. In Ireland we are topping them up on our night rate which is completely ludicrous as our unit rates are so high at the moment. I expect most people aren't even shopping around for a good rate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭geographica

I guess one needs planning permission for roof panels to the front of a property? Or are there exemptions?

I will look into the night charging thing because honestly our battery doesn't top up with the car plugged in, particularly the car with the bigger battery. Everything gets directed at the car. In the summer the battery tops up early morning with the extra sunlight.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is disagree about battery being a waste.

Dad got a 10kwh fitted with 5.2kw PV. He charges it during the boost rate, exports all Solar he’s not using and as a result has not used an imported during the day since it’s being running. Payback is really good

look at going on. A boost rate as supposed to just D/N and charge it between 2am and 4 am or what ever boost times you get

Planning exempt on roof.

Ground mounts “may” be limited by the 2m height rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Are you sure there's no App? I had Solis inverter with Solis App (same as Andy's screenshot) and you could change the charging windows on the app.

Re the cars; you have 2 cars, do you really charge them both, fully, every night? Either way, on an 7 hour window that you currently have, that's about 70kWh + available in that window. So fair enough, if you are charging 2 x 50kWh car batteries from ~20% up to 100% every night there isn't space for a battery to charge. But anything less and there is.

I echo Andy's comment, I think a few tweaks to your system and your battery will be really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

70kWh per night is about 140k km per year driven. Not many people in this country put up that sort of mileage (way less than 1%)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@n.d.os as other's said, you need to stop the house battery feeding your car, this is not the way to work it, the battery needs to reduce your usage of day units, you also need to load shift everything to night time, likes of washing machine/dishwasher/hot water heating.

I'm in a similar situation to you with two EVs, I use about 3-4 day units a month on average throughout the year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'm not aware of any way of changing the settings in the app. I thought it was more a visual for what the system is doing. Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong. It would be handy if I could change things there.

Sorry if there was some confusion. We do one car a night. Night on, night off for each car. Sometimes we charge one during the day if both cars have been on long trips in any given day.

I'll try adjust the battery settings. I honestly don't see any proof that the battery will charge with the car plugged in but I'm probably wrong so I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

IF you set the battery to charge between 11pm and 6am (the same time period the cars are charging), it will be charged at the same time. And it wont start to discharge until 6am.

If you only charge one car per night, there absolutely is capacity to charge your battery every night too. (Without knowing your exact setup, I think your battery would actually charge first before car if there was a conflict of demand as the load management of the charger would kick in and stop charging the car until the house load went away).

You can set is using the inverter menus like Andy's video shows. you can do it through the app as described here also:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

You need to get Solis to enable the remote settings euservice@solisinverters.com after that you go on your app and press your plant name, then press devise, then press the long serial number, then press the 3 dots on the top right and you will see "control inverter" only after Solis activates it though. Once you do that look at a YouTube video to ensure you are setting the charging correctly or you could be dumping your battery back back to the grid if not set right. If you have a generous FIT like some here it might be worth doing that but do your maths on it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭crl84

The car charger pulls ~7.3KW when the car is charging. If your battery isn't capable of charging then too, then you have some seriously bad/incorrect wiring issues in the house. A typical house should be easily capable of doing both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

As of matter of interest, as i can’t recall. whats the max the average house, without wiring/fuse enhancements. can pull, i’ve seen my own above 9 kw on many occasions, while charging the car and heat pump going, so presumably must be at least 10kw ?

Normally 63a main fuse or there about. Which equates to about 14kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

Thanks, and another query, what Kw, do PV system batteries normally pull from the grid, and is there a large variation eg different batteries, charge at different kw speeds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Worked out that it would roughly 8 years ROI for our 10kW system, with the bump in unit charges, it will be down to 6. We were on a non smart meter, day/night, but recently changed and my neighbour who has a smaller system but similar sized family has said he has stored up 900euro in credits which will put a fair dent in his winter bills. If I get the same when we switch over, it will bring my ROI down to 5.

Most domestic Batteries charge at about 2.5kw I think.

I like to charge mine as slow as possible to reduce stress on it and help prolong its lifespan…

my night rate period is 9 hours… so why fast charge it in 2 hours when I can charge it much slower over a longer period, and try to help it last as long as possible…

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CBCTer

I had a feeling it wouldn't be a simple change in the app. I'll take a look.

I don’t even have that app functionality… I just make all my changes at the inverter itself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭staples7

While we’re on the topic of charging multiple items during a boost, charging car, charging battery(s), running heat pump. And perhaps a dishwasher.

would this be overloading, new house so wiring will be fine.

Advertisement