Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re: Letting agents fee

Options
  • 05-10-2023 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Someone might be able to answer a question for me.

Myself and another tenant have recently moved out of a shared house. One of the original tenants is remaining there. The two new tenants, who we found ourselves, have been approved by the landlord and should be moving in shortly.

The letting agents want to charge myself and the other tenant who moved out €100 each. This was called an 'administration fee' in one email and a 'transfer fee' in another. I cannot understand what this vague fee is for so I will be emailing back to request clarification. But maybe this fee is standard practice?

I'd love to know if anyone has any knowledge about this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 winter_leaves

Could be cleaning and RTB registration fee. That's my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's a con, the RTB registration has to be one every year now and is 40 euros and I'd guess you are cleaning the room. You've also done all the leg work for them. I'd tell them not until they have an email clearing it with the RTB they can show you. They'll moan about it and try to take it out of your deposit, if they do open a case with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was told it was for verification checks and drafting up a new lease & updating the RTB of the changes to tenancy even though on RTB website it says there's no fee payable if at least one of the original tenants is remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It's a bullsh*t fee and if it's to be paid, it's between the new tenants and the LL

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭burtner

in fairness, if the agent knows about the change then they are involved in the change ! that requires work. Who do you think should pay them ? You, the new tenants or the landlord ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Whoever pays, do you think it should be an arbitrary fee of €100 per tenant? It's a number pulled out of the air. Justify the €100 per tenant fee to me if they didn't have to get in new tenants.

OP, did you sign anything saying you agreed to pay this transfer fee when you signed the lease? If not they can't just drop it on you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

The agent is employed by the landlord. They cannot charge tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭burtner

Thats right, So in your opinion The Landlord should pay for the administration ! Just trying to see what the consensus is as I am sure we all agree that someone has to pay for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

I'd imagine the landlord might expect that the work is covered by the fee it pays the agent. Either way its not a concern of a tenant or proposed tenant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement