Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

From what I can see online the Glenanne station recorded just shy of 80mm from 6am Sunday to 6am today. Nearly half of that fell yesterday so it's a fair drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Have read one or two places online that things will settle down from the 11th. I know that is very far away to be making those presumptions. Anyone seeing a pattern that might justify those predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This might be the worst weather year I can ever remember. Complete shambles with the exception of May and some of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

We drove up to Belfast yesterday morning from NCD with the kids, rain was unbelievable coming home.

Thankfully we were going to W5 so rain didn't bother us, but the river lagan looked ready to burst its banks in places.

If anyone has kids the W5 is amazing, well worth the visit, we spent the whole day there.

Happy Halloween 🎃

I know, some of us here do a monthly weather forecast and every month when I'm doing my predictions, I'm like the rain has to finally be close to normal this month, nope every month its way over average, shocking altogether.

Done get me wrong you would always have wettter than normal months but would usually balance out over the year, not this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I think we can all confidently predict the remaining months of 2023 will be unsettled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

ECM and GFS look to build some high pressure from the Azores around then but GFS shows a low coming from Greenland starts pushing it back at the end of the run.

Thanks,they say a week is a long time in politics,I suppose 10 days is even longer in weather models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

So tonight looks likely to be a wet Halloween night. That would be 3 wet Halloween nights in a row. The first time i can remember that happening. There hasn't been many Wet Halloween nights that I can remember in my 50 yrs. In the 80s for example I think only 1980 and 87 were wet ( maybe 83).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Similar here, we went up Slieve Donard on Sunday morning, which seems like it was the only weather window for it between Saturday and Monday. Wind on Sunday morning in the area was negligible. Drove to the Titanic Experience yesterday and also encountered the heavy rain on the way back to Dublin afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You know it's been atrocious when even Slashermcguirk is not positive about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This has been a very wet year but I think we've had worse years. We've had some interesting weather this year for sure, some years we don't get anything interesting. We had the dry spell in February which was welcome then the sunny weather in May which was nice and then some warm weather in June. Beginning to September was great with the hot weather and then another very nice warm spell first week of October so it hasn't been all that bad. We may still get some surprises in store for December hopefully.

The sun holiday did you the world of good Gonzo,Can't remember the last time you were so positive about crap weather!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the hot spell start of September which lead into the Spanish holiday and then when I came back we had another week of lovely weather here which helped enormously!

I don't remember getting that spell here in Tipperary in early October but if we did it definitely didn't last as long as ye got it in Meath

Loads of flooding in Newry and places nearby, those of us in NI over the break got lucky we didn't get caught in floods.

It was a very noteworthy spell that primarily favoured the east as it was mostly cloudy and southerly with high pressure over the continent. Got to 24C in Dublin. Had only 13.4mm of rain up to the 16th, big changes since then after Storm Babet came.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The next batch of shite arriving. Will it be here in Ashbourne during trick or treat time....... probably will arrive during it.

Looks like Cork Airport has hit the 300mm mark as of 1600. Only 2 other months has done that before there, January 1974 and December 2015.

Belmullet meanwhile hasn't even hit 70% of its October average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dry day Meath but that damp feeling.

Rain has arrived now. 11⁰

• Advertisement

We got lucky here with trick & treating.

By the time the rain started we had it all done and dusted and it was very mild aswell so win win all around.

Raining heavy enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

A beautiful, fresh morning here in south Sligo while I was out with the dog. Rain during the night and some more to come later but we have been unusually lucky with rainfall amounts this past while. (the North-West never the best)!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not in Sligo town. Rained a lot overnight and now a big heavy spell. Will probably be 20mm after 1 day of November. Currently 8.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Rosses Point = deluge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not much more rain now but 10.5mm now for day1. 60mm over the weekend into next week for Sligo. Then a lot of wet days after. So 200mm for the month is certainly likely. That would even beat July.

Cork broke the 300mm mark for October. That's exceptional. Don't think theyl be as wet as the North and West in November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's a surprisingly lovely day in Dublin! Blue sky, bright, dry. But very breezy and chilly. Really nice to be out in it.

I really need to get the leaves off my lawn, and the dry spell is tempting me, but I'd surely be mad to bother if the storm will just fill it up again this evening?!

Will there be any dry and not too windy day in Dublin this weekend to clean up the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Torrential rain and very windy a while ago. Eased off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

And the fine weather continues, I can't resist posting these pictures, the first four from yesterday and the sunset from today. It doesn't get better than this in November. This spell reminds me of this time of year in 2018 in Ireland before turning into a disaster further into November, except the frost has been lingering all day on some surfaces. Ireland hasn't had a properly good November since 2017 so hopefully this year finally delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm finding your posts about Iceland very interesting. I was there once, but a very long time ago, I'd be more a southern, warm climate person and gravitate south these days

But I love the photos.😀 When you say good weather, what temps? You posted earlier in the year about good weather there in summer. Meant to ask about temps but forgot and the thread moved on. But what kind of temps would ye have up there in a good summer and autumn?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still in Toronto. Bloomin freezing! High of 4c today but with windchill felt like -1c at best.

Advertisement