Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Everyone knows that there are huge structural problems. Years of mismanagement by the FAI and it has led to poor player development and a very poor domestic league. This can be true and also that Kenny was an awful manager for Ireland. John Delaney is at fault for a lot of the development problems but also for appointing Kenny. Turning our senior team into minnows does nothing to help promote the game.

There has been some improvement in our development structures over recent years though. A huge number of talented players have been emerging. Better than we've seen in a generation. Stephen Kenny has had no part to play in this development. He has benefited from it! He was u21 manager when a lot of these players were emerging and senior manager when they were making breakthroughs.

He landed in these jobs at the perfect time but has failed miserably to take advantage of that luck. Look at the list of players he used in 2019:

Lee O'Connor

Conor Coventry

Dara O'Shea

Caoimhin Kelleher

Conor Masterson

Adam Idah

Jayson Molumby

Zack Elbouzedi

Darragh Leahy

Connor Ronan

Aaron Connolly

Jason Knight

Liam Scales

Troy Parrott

Gavin Kilkenny

Gavin Bazunu

Nathan Collins

Thomas O'Connor

Daniel Mandroiu

Jack Taylor

Simon Power

Stephen Mallon

Jamie Lennon

Aaron Drinan

Michael Obafemi

Jonathan Afolabi

Canice Carroll

Neil Farrugia

Kameron Ledwidge

Danny McNamara

Josh Barrett

Tyreke Wilson

Conor Kearns

Aidan Keena

Brandon Kavanagh

Michael O'Connor

The number of players from that list who've gone on to play English championship, premier league and play at a high level is unprecedented in Irish football. Usually there's not that many from underage squads.

All this talent (with more coming through) added to the players who were already there, leaves us with a squad with huge potential. Kenny was part of the problem and incapable of getting anywhere near the best out of our squad. His supporters are just going to have to get over it. For the rest of us, we can look forward to a new beginning, finally coming out of the Delaney era. A good appointment now and we can have some optimism about our team and future, no more of managers telling us we shouldn't expect to compete for qualification. We can get second seeds for the World Cup draw and have a realistic chance of qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree that Kenny underestimated the task facing him, he also should have been more flexible in his approach, look at the players available to him and play according to their strengths, all very well wanting to play the game in the right way but, when you don't have the players capable of doing that, it's not going to work out.

I think the first mistake the FAI made was appointing both Mick and Kenny at the same time, it comprised both managers, effectively it was saying Kenny wasn't ready to take over and needed more experience and that they didn't want Mick long term, plus he had no real incentive to bring in new players, he basically had about a year and one short qualifying campaign and then gone, he really should have been given the play-off game, as it was difficult for Kenny to go straight into the Play off game, and expect to get through, his tenure got off to a negative start and never really recovered. Kenny comes across as a decent guy and is obviously very passionate about the game and Ireland, but, unfortunately was out of his depth.

Apparently there's a very slight chance ( highly unlikely to happen) of making the play-offs, it shows that the bar to reach the playoffs isn't very high and should be a realistic goal for Ireland to reach at the start of any campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

mate you cannot be serious listing some of those players lol. vast majority of those havent lived upto expectation for one reason or another. most cant get a game at club level and those that do apart from 5 or 6 dont play at a good level. players like elbouzedi power mallon and oconnor were no where near international level . kilkenny is one of the biggest disappointments on that list, looked like he'd kick on after parker threw him in for b'mouth but the lad hasnt done anything in 2 seasons now

I just copied the list that he used. Do you know the actual rate of our underage teams that go onto top level careers? Even the underage teams who've won tournaments had very few making it. Duff was the only one from the u20 World youth cup that came 3rd for example. To have 9 from that list already play premier league matches is unprecedented plus another player playing in the champions league. And then we have Ferguson to add to that list plus a few others. We're not nearly in as bad a position as Kenny and his supporters would have us believe. His negative reign is almost over, let's get some positivity back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bike2wkr

It's a bit disingenuous to list out a load of youth players and say Stephen Kenny hasn't got the best out of them!

How about he did a brilliant job as u21 manager and also had coordinated with u19, u17 manager too to bring these players in and nurture them.

Look at players that he brought in as senior manager - ogbene, omabamadele, Liam scales , Nathan Collins, Ferguson, molumphy, Jason knight, bazunu. Come on give the man some credit.

He's got things wrong as senior manager but one of his big strengths is unearthing young players and I'm sure we'll reap the rewards of what he has done in years to come. Also Nature of young players is they'll be up and down. Lose form, not get games at club level, injuries so can't put it all him either. He can only do so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Your last two posts show that you haven't a clue what you're on about.

Duff was the only one who made it from the U-20 team in 1997? Seven of them went on to play for the senior side, Robbie Keane was one of them, ffs! Plenty of others made PL and Championship appearances which seems to be your definition for 'making it'.

So either you're talking out of your arse or you're being very disingenuous.

Kenny didn't bring them up through the age groups. He came in at u21 level and senior level when others had developed these players. Look at the list I posted above, that's probably the strongest u21 squad we've ever had, the best group of players in a generation are coming through. Any manager would have brought these players through. McCarthy had even brought through Parrott, Connolly, O'Connor. You and others are trying to give Kenny credit in these areas because his managerial record for the past 3 years has been horrendous.

I give credit where it's due. Kenny doesn't deserve credit for these young players, those in the FAI and coaches who oversee the players development deserve that credit. Kenny deserves credit for bringing excellent coaches on board in Barry and Eustace and for bringing some qualified players on board. He may have a role in recruitment but as our senior manager, he has been awful.

The example has already been given, Staunton brought a larger number of players on board and gave them their debuts. Players like Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Stephen Ireland etc, he beat Wales and Slovakia, drew with Germany and Czech Republic. He doesn't get any credit for that because his record was so bad. Kenny's record is worse and that's what he'll be remembered for. This is the lowest ebb in over 40 years. A new decent coaching setup can turn things around hopefully.

You failed to counteract any of the points I've raised. Are you not able to? And then I don't have a clue what you're on about. Robbie Keane didn't play in that tournament and who were the other players who made it? Here's a link to help you find the answer:

i think it's clear that it's not me who's talking out of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

Do you ever have anything constructive to say?

I understand that some Kenny supporters are upset that he is being ridiculed at the moment but the blame for that lies with Delaney for appointing him but then his media pals and supporters who sang his name while he oversaw some dreadful results. This got him a new contract when it was clear he was clueless very early into his reign. This has led to a collapse in the World Rankings and making it harder to qualify for major tournaments going forward. But this negative period has about a month left, that's the positive and I find that a very constructive thing to say. It's not all doom and gloom. A good manager can return us to being competitive again, our players are premier league/upper championship level. There's more than enough talent to move us back up the World Rankings and arrest the slide of the last 3 painful years. I'm actually excited about our future and delighted we can move past this era in the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Apologies, I was looking at the squad from 1999.

Your points about players are very subjective. There is no standard definition of 'making it'. Anyone can say such and such is a better player depending on their point of view. There has to be some definitive criteria. 'Making it' could mean making a PL appearance, scoring a PL goal, having a professional career; it's all relative.

No worries. We can only decide about making it in years to come. We don't know about the current group but they have made an excellent start. It's much harder to make breakthroughs in England now than ever before. In the last couple of seasons we've had Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Molumby, Idah, Ogbene, Obefami, Connolly, Ferguson all get their games in the premier league plus a number of upper championship performers who we could easily see in the premier league. We also have Scales, Ebosele making ground in other leagues. We'll see how many make it in years to come.

There's even some positives from today. Doherty, Collins, O'Shea, Cullen, Ogbene all started in the premier league and Ferguson came on early. Ogbene gets his goal, in the championship, Duffy and Smallbone score and numerous young starters across the league. Plenty there to work with for the new manager.

3 starters in the 3 premier league games on so far today and that's with Egan out injured.

Meanwhile, we're down to 58th in the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

and...? two of them are regulars. oshea should be starting ahead of duffy. cullen cant do it all on his own when we play. repeating myself again but we need more midfielders to compliment him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In our last 7 games, we’ve won 2, both wins versus Gibraltar…. Lost all the others.

we’ve scored shag all goals, looked like an away team often at the Aviva.

a team with no midfield, playing 4-3-3….you don’t need to be a genius to know that if you don’t have a quality midfield, having only 3 players in midfield is just dumb.

a lot of Kenny’s success in the LOI came playing 4-5-1…. That’s what this team has to turn to… pack the midfield with 2 energetic ball winners, his best play maker and two wide men and Ferguson up front and see where that gets us…

pointless playing teams better then us with 3 midfielders none of whom are world beaters anyway. At least have the numbers in there, the legs and retain possession, win it back fast when we lose it and be tough to break down…. Might not be pretty but points win qualification….no points for pretty football.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

People say Kenny was dealt a bad hand which is true to an extent but one thing he did inherit was an excellent defence. We conceded v little under McCarthy. That went out the window with Kenny. We concede loads of goals easily now, usually screamers for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Still falling rapidly in the FIFA rankings because of his inability to coach a team to win matches. That is a major problem.

A squad full of championship players should be beating Azerbaijan and Luxembourg and whatever other teams he has failed against. A cop out to suggest differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's why he should have been sacked after Luxembourg

The continued fall in the ranking means that it will be harder to qualify as Ireland will be seeded lower in draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Was watching Naked Attraction and there was a Scottish girl on it whose face annoyed me. Knew she reminded me of someone.

Stupid sexy Ken Early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭randd1

Irish soccer won't go anywhere unless there's a domestic league here worth it's salt for home-grown players to aspire to play in. Actually aspire to play in, as in the wages are worth it, I'm committed to it.

Lads would rather play in the English 4th tier than play here. I don't blame them, it's a shambles over here at times. And truth be told, I don't see how it's going to be sorted. And I think what's more annoying for a lot of fans is that there is good talent here, it just remains as un-polished diamonds.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love to see fully professional regional league setup. Different parts of the country fielding a team, with said teams based in cities, and a youth structure based within those regions.

Something like Clare/Tipperary/Limerick (we'll call it Thomond Rovers for the craic), based in Limerick. Two sub-regions in each county, developing leagues/competitions within the sub-regions, with the standout underage players playing for their sub-division in regional championships. Players coming through the ranks to represent their own side. All regional teams to field at least 4 players from their region in every domestic game, and no more than 3 non-domestic players.

Have 12-16 different regions where you can make them.

Do a deal with the government for tax free wages so the regional teams would be fully professional. Players between 18 and 21 are classed as youth players and get €30,000 a year, players from 21 to 33 get €60,000, with a tenth of all wages put away in a fund for the player for when they move on/retire. That goes for every team, with bonuses for league performances (say €30,000 per player for the league champions, and work your way down by €5,000 per position after that).

All prize money/sponsorship to be broken down to 20/80 with the team getting 20% and the other teams getting the 80% split between them.

I know, I know, it's utter madness. It's just a thought on how possibly things could work.

But the point is, their needs to be a domestic league here that not only offers players opportunity (financially/career-wise), but one they aspire to play in, to represent their part of the world, and one that can provide a fully professional set-up for all players involved.

• Advertisement

As long as the GAA have that needy psycho paranoid stranglehold over the government and sports funding… soccer can’t be seen to get anything. And they won’t get anything like they need to propel the league and its teams to the next level. It’s beyond sad… It’s a mafiaesque situation when you think about it… you cannot say the money wasn’t there during the tiger.

there are only 10 teams in the LOI premier division, giving each of these teams say 20 million each for new or upgraded comfortable stadia and state of the art training facilities….get bums on seats, money over the turnstiles. It’s literally the only way to get people in, make the product better, on the pitch, in the stand. Make the stadia somewhere that people want to be before even a ball is kicked,

Its a sizeable investment but would pay dividends for decades…

All the local GAA clubs have seen record investment, both closest to me received money for all weather training pitches which are seriously expensive, six figures, as well as new changing rooms, training facilities, floodlights, and upgraded clubhouses, bars, etc….

domestic soccer needs widespread investment… investment that despite the wealth here during the good times, it never got within an asses roar of getting. What was the last new stand built at an LOI ground ?

the GAA and their arrogant antics are pissing off more than just the soccer crowd…they’ve been criticised by premier athletes and people involved in other sports too for years yet that’s an organisation in very good health financially….reporting multi million budget surpluses the last couple of years…

In 2022 that surplus was as reported by the GAA themselves €6.7m, which was an increase of €4.8m on 2021…

of what they spend they’ve reported €13.3m spent on player welfare, €11.3m on administration and organisational development…. Erm….

And the LOI clubs lucky to get a few bob to fix floodlights or a leaky roof over a stand. An absolute cesspit of a country that allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah ok. So the decades of mismanagement and questionable corporate practices in the FAI and LOI Clubs are because the GAA are better at securing funding. You're way off the mark. Typical chip on the shoulder LOI attitude. Try and improve things and put proper governance in place before looking for millions. We all know what has happened in the past.

It’s not an LOI attitude in fairness, I have nothing to do with the LOI / FAI. It’s an observation..

what has the FAI got to do with it ? The FAI don’t run, own or manage LOI teams / clubs ….Funding would and should be given directly to the clubs…based on an application for money backed up with quotes for capital projects and the requirements to provide proof as to what that money is spent on… and suitable verification…. Between government and clubs, NOT government and the FAI.

X club want around 200,000 for replacement LED floodlights…. They get 3 quotes, put in the best quote and bingo…..

a new stand / stadium ? The same…

the domestic game will be in the doldrums still without a dig out. If the GAA get suitable help, they get in fact multiples more, soccer and other sports should too, it’s not just soccer left in a hapenny place it’s a multitude of sports, but politics and the way of Ireland in general ensures that GAA before all…

FFS the the irish government has even committed €500,000 for a revamp of New York's GAA stadium.  Our government spending money on a sports stadium, in a different continent…. Which is bizarre, and soccer teams here having to go cap in hand for everything and anything…

plenty of fraud and corruption going on in the GAA circuit although while reported in the print media, it doesn’t make as big headlines…

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Of course there's always one who cant think of anything else but that it's all the GAAs fault...do you really think the government are going to hand over 200 million? To an organisation where the chief executive spent 10 years swindling all around him and left the FAI broke and in need of a government bailout? All the while the nodding dogs in the FAI left him at it, and you want taxpayers money to bankroll another 200 million?

I want the government to bankroll the sport. As they’ve done to the GAA, an organisation not without its own financial scandals but of course national media are a bit quieter there. If the government have issues with the current governance of the FAI, get them to put someone in there, a civil servant to oversee everything, to audit everything and live under their finger nails. They do it for private healthcare so why not certain aspects of sport.

the clubs, players fans and sport should not suffer because of the poor governance historically of the FAI…

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

FIFA would ban any national team where the government are involved in administering or interfering in the sport...so that's a non starter.

They wouldn’t be interfering or administering though…

they already give grants to the FAI… ‘ field sport investment ‘. So critical oversight in addition won’t won’t be any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,548 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Unless it Middle East oil country who have free reign to do whatever they want because they paid off FIFA members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the idea that the government bankrolls the GAA is a humorous idea.

the GAA would be a huge net contributor to the government exchequer. All those folks around the country every weekend travelling to club and intercounty games- filling their cars in petrol stations, eating in restaurants and from burger vans, drinking in pubs, taking trains and buses, staying in hotels. And that’s before you get to the match day staff around the stadiums and the tickets themselves. Plenty of Vat there for the government to cream off. And what does the government give the GAA in return, a few million worth of grant money for the grass roots and every 10 years a big investment in a stadium while most of the stadiums the GAA use are awful.

football is hugely underfunded but so is gaa compared to what they contribute.

• Advertisement

Well they can turn down government investment so…..just look at the money the GAA and their clubs receive year on year….

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement