Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well it would make sense given there's no communication barrier. Certainly an Irish service provider would be able to give you better service than a foreigner with all other things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The Eastern European staff are ok , Indians the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Towns and city centres here should have an equivalent of a residents association. Buildings should be of an acceptable appearance.Funds to be made available to help with basic maintenance and fines issued to owners of derelict sites. Confiscation of property for those who repeatedly fail to get their act in order or sell their property on. No more hatching on property for decades, use it or lose it. Most urban centres here are in woeful order.

• Advertisement

Britain has had a civilising influence on the world for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's just boring.

Or maybe it's not. Expand on that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Getting angry about the opinions of anonymous strangers on the internet is the sign of a second-rate mind. It’s a total waste of time and emotional energy. If it’s happening to you then you probably need to stop using the internet so much and learn better coping strategies for difficult emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...im soooooo angry about this post right now, lets fight to the death!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This one I would struggle with for sure. Its kind of saying the English language, Shakespeare, a bunch of inventions and the Beatles far outweighs ..... well its a long list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

The Israel/Palestine conflict won't be resolved without the genocide of one side or the other.

Despite it's evils, the world is and has been better off under America's democracy-led hegemony than it ever could possibly have been under any form of communism/fascism/religious fundamentalism, and ultimately are right to fight it where they could/can, even if it means doing horrific things. And that the greatest threat to democracy and the freedoms it provides is the decline of the US from within.

People should not be allowed to abstain from any accepted practices within their jobs for religious reasons. You knew what the job entailed when you took it, not everyone shares your belief, get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

These days, women are more likely to have the legs cut under them by other women than men.

Rule of law

culture of rational enlightened thought as opposed to religious fundamentalism

sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it doesn't outweighs anything. The bad is still bad, and the good is still good. Colonialism not only that it wasn't all bad, but in most cases, after the dust settled, the colonized countries were better off, and so was the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

India is a good example. It had 20% of world trade in 1700 when the British invaded. In 1950 when the British left, it had 3% of global trade. Much more civilised.

I suspect the people of Cork were lotw civilised after the British went to town on it during the war of independence.

The British world was better off after the British colonised country. The natives of the country weren't better off. Are you researching an article for the Telegraph opinion section?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are far too many parent & child car parking spaces now at shopping centres , supermarkets, airports etc.

and why they are always almost or as close to the shopping venue or destination as the accessible ones ?

The way businesses these days bend themselves over to facilitate the comfort, convenience and needy whims of Mams & Dads and their kids, ahead of people who actually need or could do with parking a vehicle close to their desired destination to assist with a medical / mobility problem or situation.

giving space for loading and unloading kids and buggys ? Fine, but let it be in the furthest flung corner of the car park. Pushing a kid in a buggy isn’t exactly a challenging task…

getting a wheelchair or walking frame from a car, to a person alighting requires space and the person using the mobility aid would sure appreciate the space and less of a journey to their destination….. all about the kids, Mams & Dads in 2023 though innit…. 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Car parks are a dangerous place to walk long distances in when you have a young child. That's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Look at Africa. Countries invented out of thin air where tribes who have been fighting each other for centuries were lumped together and boxed in by arbitrary lines. Once the colonial age ended, whoever was in charge went to town on the minorities (usually, centuries-old enemies) or places like Gambia where the British carved out a country along the banks of a river and created conflict among peers. South Africa? They certainly left a civilised country there or was that all the fault of the Dutch?

Australia? The Caribbean? Canada? The United States? Are these successor states filled with institutionalised racism truly civilised? Just look up North; on our island, the British laid the foundations for what has proven to be on our own version of Israel.

This is the legacy of British colonialism. Its only considered civilised because they speak English and they were the ones who wrote history. I don't see what was so 'civilised' about looting lands by force under the guise of bringing 'civilised' cultural concepts to the detriment of the native population.

And that's just the British.

People who think that colonialism wasn't "all that bad" are either ignorant, insincere, trolling or racist. This 'civilisation' crap is favourable retconning by people who spend too much time owning the concept of British supremacy to be able to acknowledge they were wrong.

As I said, the good doesn't negate nor excuse the evil.

Without the European colonizing powers (not just the brits) Europe would have been colonized and dominated by the Ottoman Empire, and there will be no America, Canada or Australia to speak of, those places would be still populated by people hunting with spears. Just think about how much scientifical and medical progress came from America. As for Africa, in some places civilization catches on, in some places it doesn't. It's not the fault of the colonizers that tribes in Africa are still warring between themselves.

There is no way of knowing how America or Africa would have developed if Europeans hadn't invaded in the name of greed. In America, Europeans decimated the native populations and in Africa, they exacerbated existing problems by imposing societal structures that did not match the local context.

We can go back and forth on how one system is better than another but, at the end of the day, Europeans didn't go to these places to spread their great ideas of "civilised society"; they were searching for more land to control, resources to plunder and people for manpower.

Just accept it and own it: "civilisation" is a fancy byword for greed.

• Advertisement

Europeans didn't go to these places to spread their great ideas of "civilised society"; they were searching for more land to control, resources to plunder and people for manpower.

Of course, I never said otherwise.

Just accept it and own it: "civilisation" is a fancy byword for greed.

Sure. Greed and pursue of profit drove most of our (we as we humankind) achievements.

There is no way of knowing how America or Africa would have developed if Europeans hadn't invaded

But we know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese

Sorry, I confused you with the poster who originally said the British were a civilising influence.

Do you think that, perhaps, the remaining uncontacted tribes are hostile to outsiders because of previous experiences? Or you just think they are a naturally hostile people? If so, are Europeans not naturally hostile given their history of colonialism?

Essentially, you believe that the ends justify the means when it comes to greed; I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Fasting is one of the most powerful tools we can do to keep healthy and solve a lot of illness’s.

But there’s simply no money in it for institutions that’s why it isn’t better known

Essentially I am a pragmatist who believes the world is a better place now thanks to the expansion of western culture and civilization.

While I am certainly grateful to live in the West, I just can't agree that the world, as a whole, is a better place because of the expansion of Western civilisation.

While I am certainly grateful to live in the West, I just can't agree that the world, as a whole, is a better place because of the expansion of Western civilisation.

whatever civilised society exists in India today?, it’s down to the British influence

the trade statistic thing ( year 1700 ) is a tedious old trope , both china and India had a huge percentage of the global economy back then and for a thousand years prior to that , the birth of the Industrial Revolution changed everything, China had less than 3% of the global economy in 1977

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There are far more friendly nations than the Republic of Ireland, half of the Irish population are grumpy, aggressive, greedy, selfish, zero manners ar$eholes and I think Northern Irish people are actually friendlier than us.

take people from Romania, Spain, Canada etc way more friendly and nice people than people from the Republic of Ireland.

manners is a huge issue these days, I am in business and the percentage of Irish people who dont know how to say thank you is crazy and sad in my opinion, you are nothing if you dont have basic manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Eh, things like Apartheid were very much as a result of colonial rule and intentionally pitted tribal groups against each other in South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dont think so. When the dust settled, whatever that means.

Apart from the obvious, of famine in Ireland and the troubles.

Look at all of the countries that Britain colonized.

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh - nearly 2bn people, a very high proportion of whom live in poverty.

West Indies - indigenous populations entirely wiped out. 100%. There is no indigenous population in the Carribean, they all died. So how exactly were they better off.

Africa - millions of people seized in the middle of the night (thats literally what they did, attacked villages in the middle of the night to catch people unawares) and transported, via Liverpool and Bristol to the New World.

Aboriginal people in Australia marginalised in their own country. Likewise North America.

Opium wars in China.

I feel like I am stating the obvious here, but some people think that just by saying that these things happened, that you are some sort of zealot. Maybe its not clear to people, I dont know.

And I am by no means anti-English, the poorer classes in Britain sufferred just as much as many of their counterparts in other parts of the 'Empire'.

Advertisement