Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work up to 75!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Thats a miserable life you've set yourself there... Maybe set your goals a little higher..

We all paid tax during our working lives to fund the houses, childcare, infrastructure you mention... so now young ppl fund that now, whats wrong with that?

You work 40 years and pay PRSI, why wouldnt you expect to have retirement of 20 years... Their is no way you could live off state pension anyway, so you would have to have other means...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not a question of goals. Populations are ageing and people are dying in much more expensive ways than before. The pension system was designed for an age of quick deaths via heart attacks, accidents, strokes and so on that would happen much earlier in someone's life so relatively few people lived long enough to claim much of a pension. Now, many older people need full time care for conditions like dementia.

This isn't sustainable without a growing younger population and you can probably see the underlying problem in this logic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

What you ( and other young people) pay goes towards current retirees , when you retire , what you paid in won’t be there to cover your pension, you will be reliant on future worker’s contributions

it’s a pyramid scheme effectively

The vast majority of pensioners today did not make enough In contributions ( when working ) to cover what they draw down in their retirement years

the state pension is too high for that and secondly, the period post retirement is too long for that to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I thought importing immigrants was going to pay our pensions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Maybe we should encourage child labour, boycott any service that provides its employees with a pension plan as part of the remuneration package, and force everyone to work until they die of exhaustion. We could ensure this happens by withdrawing healthcare for anyone who can't pay for it out of their own pocket.

Otherwise ...

The houses built, say in the 30s-70s were pretty much all built by hand, with very little mechanisation - so like most other processes they were much more labour intensive than today.

Virtually every industrial process has undergone the same changes - putting hundreds of thousands people out of work in the process (the 1980s in Ireland were a dreadful time for emigration and unemployment, just as the post crash were). So a great many of the people who now have a pension also spent time on the dole and working abroad, often working for years in the black economy and precarious employment, with resulting huge holes in their pension entitlements.

Be that as it may, the changes mentioned above have freed up great numbers who seem to have all migrated to financial services, IT, cafes and nail bars. Some well-paid with pension entitlements, others not - I wonder how you'd suggest dealing with that anomaly?

Of course there is a privileged minority of workers who spent their whole life in employment and have a full pension as a result - but the real problem is not them, but rather the people who pull the strings. And they will never be short of a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭rob316

**** that. Work all your life and enjoy a few years before your quality of life is awful. I'm 36, already decided im done at 60, loaded money into a pension since I was 18.

I have people in there late 60s to 70 work with me, they lose their sharpness and become a hindrance in the workplace, there is no benefit to them working till 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd get used to it because unless they were able to buy a house of their own at some point (either through saving/sacrifice, donations from the bank of mam and dad, or the giveaways of the Tiger years) they'll need to work to pay their rents.

The problem with this idea however is most employment contracts only run to age 65 (any I've had anyway) so what then? Are employers going to be made extend those terms, or will we have a load of mid-60 year olds that no one wants to hire but which can't afford not to work.

I'm sure many of those who work in financial services don't actually produce anything useful.

Ditto much of what happens in Google, yahoo, twitter, Wix (now that it's in the news!), facebook and the other companies that spy on us online isn't actually productive. Those workers could be much better employed in looking after the infirm elderly.

• Advertisement

Your reply is typical of the incredible Ignorance surrounding this issue, it’s just about the highest in Europe , that’s before you add on the laundry list of perk’s which accompany the weekly cash payment, it’s worth about €500 per week when cash and subsidised services are added

pensInners in Ireland are spoiled beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 20,192 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How do you think pensions work? Do you think the tax you pay is put away in a bank account for you when you retire?

It's just the way it is going. The last few generations have avoided paying to keep services up with the rising population. Now we have working people who can't afford more than one child if they ever want a house. The demographic pyramid shows you that there won't be enough working people to pay for services like pensions (waiting to see what your understanding of pensions is)

Yeah I could set the goal of reshaping the demographic pyramid. Not terribly realistic. My aim is to own a house so I can sell it to pay for end of life care. Much more realistic

Fair summary. What anomaly do I need to deal with in the fourth paragraph?

The first paragraph is just guff. I've no idea what you're trying to sayband it doesn't seen connected to anything I've said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Can you provide a single instance of this having been done?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I'm not sure how you work all of that out.

The last few generations (bar farmers for many years) all paid taxes and social insurance.

Pensions etc however are paid for out of current taxation - and out of borrowing where necessary. This rises due to larger numbers in the workforce (remember long ago many women no longer worked after marriage - I won't go into the politics of that - and we usedn't have an immigrant population), higher wages than in the past, inflation. Despite the population pyramid, we have more people working now than before, maybe double than when babyboomers were born. There is no problem currently, although the population pyramid does point to the likelihood in the future.

That said, our population pyramid is skewed in many ways - emigration in the past, immigration in the last two-three decades including up to 100k Ukrainians in the past 18 months. Immigration being mostly of working-age adults.

Of course it is sensible to plan for the future - but impossible to do in this regard when we do not control our immigration process. Remember, along with freedom of movement in the EU, we also are affected by the Common Travel Area, and EU-imposed refugee quotas - as well as the wishes of the MNCs who often seem to our immigration policies (and our labour laws ...).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

That is how the system is working but its a very unfair and out dated system. Why are we paying for the short fall in other peoples pensions (public sector) and then they want us to work till 75? Its very unfair if your a person who starts workings from say anywhere from 16 to 24 and paying our ridiculously high tax rates till your 65 you have well paid enough into the system to cover your pension. Its time that some actuary detailing for the individual and if the person has paid 40+ years of high income tax they should be entitled to head off with the state pension at 65.

I find it funny that the people making these decisions or floating these ideas are the ones who are having their pensions partially paid for by those they want to work for longer. If those suggesting this want it to happen let them turn all Public sector pensions into defined contribution and forgo the part of their pensions that they have not paid for over the years and even the field first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes this is about it. Pneumonia was once colloquially considered the 'old persons friend' - it took them before their time perhaps but also before more debilitating conditions set in. Now an elderly person can get and recover from pneumonia a few times and so on. Three score years and ten was/ is the biblical lifespan, it was pushed out towards 80. But now I suppose too many living well into their 90s.

Are you suggesting that the sectors I mentioned aren't involved in tax avoidance and other dodgy financial "services" on the one hand, and that on the other cyberspying and other dodgy online activities don't exist; or alternatively that these are positives that should be encouraged within our society?

When you take what that person paid in full in taxes so not just PRSI but income tax, USC, VAT, Stamp duty, Carbon tax, TV license, Car tax, Property tax, DIRT, CGT, CAT and all other forms of taxation you will find that the vast majority have paid well in excess to cover their pensions for that period all this guff of not paying enough PRSI is non sense its not like it gets put into a pool of money to pay for retirees that has never been the case with any form of taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"My aim is to own a house so I can sell it to pay for end of life care."

You can put yourself at the 'mercy of the state'. That's how the Fair Deal scheme is constructed. Elderly are in theory anyway to be looked after more or less equally - if you don't have means OK, if you do then your assets are taken into account and you pay a 'fair' contribution.

• Advertisement

What's a no?

Dodgy practices in IT and Finance are well-known, well-documented. And add nothing to our economy and even less to our society - although they may make wads of cash for the businesses they work in.

Do you believe that society wouldn't be better off if those involved in these practices were helping the infirm elderly?

You say you're not sure how I worked all that out, then you more or less explain it yourself. Yeah in the future, more old people will live longer and sicker at the end of life which will cost a fortune. There won't be enough young people to pay for it, so the services like pensions and public health care won't be funded.

We could bring in a load of foreigners to do the work. I would prefer to address the issues so young people already living here could afford to work and live and afford to have children.

I'm not interested in defending arguments I never made.

All taxes are pooled together for expenditure like I said PRSI is not pooled into a separate account for paying pensions. Tax is income expenditure is our outgoings unless you can prove otherwise.

Nevermind the lifestyle people enjoy nowadays and costs associated, the state pension is welfare and should cover basics , if you want a comfortable retirement, invest in a private pension, unfortunately populist politics preaches the idea that private pension incentives give unfair advantages to the “ well off “

the reality is it encourages responsible nest egg building so as to avoid being state dependent

Sure you could ask that of any tax, why is their USC??

• Advertisement

No , the basis of discussion surrounding pensions and funding revolves around PRSI contributions

now it doesn’t matter apparently as it’s all jumbled in together ?

Advertisement