Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I assume the meaning is that the UN did not condemn it as a formal body / through their deliberative process. That was the basis for the comparison against Israel, not what the UN secretary general at the time said in a speech.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So he doesn't suit your anti-Israeli agenda,

LOL, don't have one. And I am confident you know this after a few days.

So he's from Jerusalem, doesn't make his endorsement of Israel's democracy or democratic values that interesting sorry. Most Israelis polled would probably support their own democracy?

"an activist of an NGO"

Gosh say that around this forum on any other thread 🤣

Being such doesn't equate to big groups of Palestinians believing Israel is a "vibrant democracy" which is the effort being argued. Just one activist from an NGO from Jerusalem saying it is. Good to know I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

You're embarrassing yourself. You should retract it. Read your own source again.

https://www.savethechildren.net/news/gaza-3195-children-killed-three-weeks-surpasses-annual-number-children-killed-conflict-zones

Not that the data is unverifiable and inaccurate as noted by @odyssey06

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

You couldn't answer a simple question about the figures.

Lies.

The %error in 2021 was less than 2% in Gaza.

You keep waffling. Waffling without evidence dismissed with evidence.

Throughout four wars and numerous bloody skirmishes between Israel and Hamas, U.N. agencies have cited the Health Ministry’s death tolls in regular reports. The International Committee of the Red Cross and Palestinian Red Crescent also use the numbers.

In the aftermath of war, the U.N. humanitarian office has published final death tolls based on its own research into medical records.

In all cases the U.N.'s counts have largely been consistent with the Gaza Health Ministry’s, with small discrepancies.

— 2008 war: The ministry reported 1,440 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 1,385.

— 2014 war: The ministry reported 2,310 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 2,251.

— 2021 war: The ministry reported 260 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 256.

While Israel and the Palestinians disagree over the numbers of militants versus civilians killed in past wars, Israel’s accounts of Palestinian casualties have come close to the Gaza ministry’s. For instance, Israel’s Foreign Ministry said the 2014 war killed 2,125 Palestinians — just a bit lower than the ministry’s toll.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel has killed “thousands” of militants in the current war, without offering evidence or precise numbers.

International news agencies, including AP, as well as humanitarian workers and rights groups, have used the ministry’s numbers when independent verification is impossible.

“These figures are professionally done and have proven to be reliable,” said Omar Shakir, Human Rights Watch’s Israel and Palestine director, adding he remained “cognizant of different blind spots and weaknesses” such as the failure to distinguish between civilians and combatants

No point in empty denials anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

They are just as likely to kill the hostage in an air strike as rescue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

In the 3 wars over there, as has been posted in this thread alone plenty of times the number of dead reported by the Gaza health ministry (Hama or whatever you want to call it) are broadly in line with what the UN has reported. Every time. But oh no, this time it's different. Sure we will see in time.

The fact is thousands of children have been killed in the last two weeks (on the Israeli side as well) in Gaza. In the coming weeks thousands more children will die. As I said a while back what will the number have to be to be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Meanwhile at the UN Russia says Israel has no right to self defence as they are occupiers,

The same Russia currently occupying large parts of Ukraine...... The same Ukraine Russia says doesn't exist

I honestly don't think anyone relevant cares what Russia thinks about this conflict.

That wasn't the question asked and you know it. You well know that the figures for some of the other conflicts have not been determined with any reasonable certainty. And for some other conflicts they expressly call out that that the figures are incomplete, either in scope or period covered.

So that when you then accuse me of 'lies' and 'waffling' - well that obviously rebounds on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well said Overheal. They'll be back with the same claims tomorrow though. Denial.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That wasn't the question asked and you know it. You well know that the figures for some of the other conflicts have not been determined with any reasonable certainty. And for some other conflicts they expressly call out that that the figures are incomplete, either in scope or period covered.

Present your evidence, I'm not following 'some of the other conflicts' I've had a lot going on since 2019.

Are you denying the number of children dead reported in those wars?

Haven't seen you provide any evidence. Dismissed without evidence (and in previous posts, with it). Show the percent errors. Show me something.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

You mean the imaginary hostage that our own government won't admit exists? Jesus if I'm ever taken hostage by Palestinians, I would hope my government would at least admit I've been take hostage and not have the mad mullahs in Tehran having to tell the world about me.

What's the evidence?

Also that tweet a few pages ago about a lad in Derry in a terrorist costume: fake news the police report. same link ^

...If the only evidence is something the IRANIANS said... well not to engage in ad hominem but

Not what was said, argument should have been less vague, using a smaller goalpost.

The figures you are quoting relate to deaths that the UN could verify only. If you drill into the actual UN report linked, nowhere does the UN report make the claim that it is trying to present a count of actual deaths. I'm not disputing the figures in the report so much as the misrepresentation of them to mean something different.

You are the one making the claim. The onus is on you to clarify the basis for your claim.

I have seen UN reports on other conflicts (such as Ukraine) and they are very clear to spell out that the figures are partial, and should not be considered the expected or actual deaths.

So, you look at the UN report, you tell me where it says that the figures are a reckoning of the actual number of civilian deaths?

Otherwise, it is misrepresentation in the article you have linked to distort their meaning of the figures, and you repeat that misrepresentation here.

It is jumping on a headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interview with the son of one of the founders of Hamas, Mosab Hassan Yousef. Well worth watching. He makes claims that are the opposite of what many people in here have been saying. That Hamas with the October 7th attack, opened the gates of hell for the people in Gaza. But the most interesting one that he expects the people of Gaza to celebrate once Hamas is removed. And that the Palestinians will thank Israel for what they did. That gives a lot of hope for the future

"Many civilians are dying. I understand this. Their blood is on the hands of Hamas. And Hamas only" - Mosab Hassan Yousef

The figures you are quoting relate to deaths that the UN could verify only. If you drill into the actual UN report linked, nowhere does the UN report make the claim that it is trying to present a count of actual deaths. I'm not disputing the figures in the report so much as the misrepresentation of them.

Waffle the numbers are explicit, they compare the Gaza Health Ministry numbers and the UN numbers... to say these are only the ones UN could verify means there were more, and potentially that the GHM was underreporting... these are actual deaths.

I have seen UN reports on other conflicts (such as Ukraine) and they are very clear to spell out that the figures are partial, and should not be considered the expected or actual deaths.

Then prove it please: "You are the one making the claim. The onus is on you to clarify the basis for your claim."

It is jumping on a headline.

I'm quoting the body, no. lie.

Throughout four wars and numerous bloody skirmishes between Israel and Hamas, U.N. agencies have cited the Health Ministry’s death tolls in regular reports. The International Committee of the Red Cross and Palestinian Red Crescent also use the numbers.

In the aftermath of war, the U.N. humanitarian office has published final death tolls based on its own research into medical records.

In all cases the U.N.'s counts have largely been consistent with the Gaza Health Ministry’s, with small discrepancies.

— 2008 war: The ministry reported 1,440 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 1,385.

— 2014 war: The ministry reported 2,310 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 2,251.

— 2021 war: The ministry reported 260 Palestinians killed; the U.N. reported 256.

While Israel and the Palestinians disagree over the numbers of militants versus civilians killed in past wars, Israel’s accounts of Palestinian casualties have come close to the Gaza ministry’s. For instance, Israel’s Foreign Ministry said the 2014 war killed 2,125 Palestinians — just a bit lower than the ministry’s toll.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel has killed “thousands” of militants in the current war, without offering evidence or precise numbers.

International news agencies, including AP, as well as humanitarian workers and rights groups, have used the ministry’s numbers when independent verification is impossible.

“These figures are professionally done and have proven to be reliable,” said Omar Shakir, Human Rights Watch’s Israel and Palestine director, adding he remained “cognizant of different blind spots and weaknesses” such as the failure to distinguish between civilians and combatants.

Back in Gaza a greiving mother screams it's all because of those Hamas dogs before she's grabbed and physically has a hand put over her mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Bahrain ends diplomatic and economic ties with Israel. Sounds like some sanctions might be coming soon.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The 9000 dead civilians and many more injured may not celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Another refugee camp school bombed.

Horrific videos of it.

Genocide every day from Israel.

What they're doing will never be forgotten or forgiven.

As seen in Derry and claimed to be a fake Isn't a fake

You hate to see it because it is ultimately avoidable, and it hurts world stability. The US and Israel could have regime changed Hamas at any point in the game, Hamas was the regime change, though.

There's no 5th column in Gaza, no insurgency, no replacement regime we are propping up and backing because ____.

Without a 5th column this is much bloodier and results in the taking of much more lives. We cannot say if that was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, I have no problem condemning Hamas or any other terrorist organisation for heir despicable acts.

That was posted in answer to the lie that the UN had never condemned Hamas.

It's obvious you can't defend your claim when you have to throw out cheap insults like lies and waffle instead of actually defending your argument.

That's the figures from one conflict. How you think this proves your argument is anybody's guess.

Where are the figures from the other conflicts?

It is obvious you haven't read the UN report, or know anything about the figures from the other conflicts.

I asked you where does the UN report support the claims you have made for it?

You were unable to defend your claim with reference to the actual evidence. That's the actual evidence. Not the headline in a media statement.

The evidence does not support the claims you have made for it.

Multiple posters now have pulled you up on the false claims made on the basis of a misleading media statement.

So actually, this is not a case of "said without evidence, dismissed without evidence".

This is a case of, they evidence has been looked at - and not by you - and it does not say what you say it does.

To accuse me of lies on that basis is completely without merit or foundation.

If you haven't read the UN report, how can you demand that from me?

So, I'll wait for you to read the UN reports and will expect you to admit you're wrong, otherwise it would demonstrate your post to be entirely hypocritical and self serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When you don't like the answers you are getting, you denigrate those giving you the answers.

Quite a number of times, in response to these questions, I have linked to the actual extracts of international law. They are actually quite easy to understand. I have stopped linking to them because the same posters are asking the same questions while ignoring the evidence.

To recap on where we are right now. There is no doubt that Hamas has 100% committed war crimes and is continuing to do so, in areas such as keeping civilian hostages, using civilians and civilian facilities as human shields. Their own utterances have confirmed these crimes.

It is also true, that, by and large, Israel has stayed within the confines of international law. There are some questions over their most recent actions, but even the Norweigan government will only go so far as saying that Israel MAY have broken international law. Unlike Hamas, there is no unequivocal evidence that Israel have committed war crimes.

Those commenting on the conflict should always bear in mind those parameters in considering where the balance of good and evil is situated. All of which brings us back to the most important imperative to end the conflict - Hamas should release the hostages and offer up those responsible for the planning and execution of 7/10 to the ICC.

It is as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As much as I enjoyed reading about his story, he was an intelligence asset for Sin Bet, so his words are easy to dismiss for anyone on the other side.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement