Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the satellite tuner on the Sony XH85 range any good?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭deezell

Squabbling over license issues and inclusion in a general catch up app or something like that has created all sorts of contradictions, where apps exist freely on other operating systems (Apple TV, firestick, android mobile), but not on the actual TV used to display. So you end up using browser versions in the TV browser app, or a plug in box or stick, or casting from a tablet or phone. It's bizarre. All 4 disappeared from LGs apparently in 2020, and irate LG fans got no satisfaction. When they discovered they could get around this by using the web version on LG TV browser, All 4 killed this off on LGs, due to some licensing arrangement with Freeview. Probably this Youview thing also precludes standalone apps. Youview is implicated on the Sony forum for interfering with satellite service delivery, which could well be the reason for the Freesat EPG problem. Proper hornets nest.

Just noticed something interesting. The RTE player on my TV is behaving like it is abroad. This is probably because set is in UK region. I went to watch the u21 euro qualifier which is only on player, and it wasn't listed on the screen, no live TV, only playback. I had it running on my phone, so I just tapped the cast button, and the TV opened up player, and then said 'it was not available due to rights'. I switched to non smart DNS, still no joy. I have Player on the AppleTV box, and it displayed live broadcast list, so I clicked on the match, but it too said not available. I switched off smart DNS on the Apple box, and this time it worked. So check your RTE player if in UK region, see does it work for live TV, as the app is definitely different for expats, I just hadn't used player on this TV that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

What version of iPlayer app should I be looking to download ? I side loaded one (0.4.7-dev-47) which seemed ok and ran but was blocked in the same way as the preloaded one in Live TV & Catchup

That's the version I'm using. It works as soon as I set the TV network connection to static and the DNS entries to the smart DNS ones. My router has a second WiFi access point on a different local subnet so I can connect to one as DHCP, the other as static, with the two smart DNS IPs. I can then go from smart to local DNS simply by swapping the WiFi connection.

Maybe the problem lies with your ISP using virtual external IP addresses, not real ones. Something you could try, switch your phone to phone data connection, switch on a hotspot and connect the TV to this. initially with DHCP, then change to static, reuse the dynamic hotspot IPs, but change the two DNS to the smart DNS. I must try this myself.

Who is your ISP, and can you look into your router config and read if you're assigned a real external IP, or just an internalised one like your home network device IPs.

I have ITV hub working on the Sony, I sideloaded this apk which was extracted from the Youview container by the heads at Github. https://github.com/hoshsadiq/bravia-youview-player-launchers/releases/tag/v3.1.0

Sign on for an ITV a/c on your phone, run app, log on,use BT36 as a postcode (norn iron), and have your smart DNS in place. It didn't work initially, but a ruse I use is to open TV browser and idly browse a few addresses. This seems to establish the smart dns to your device connection. Go back to ITV Hub app, and try it out. Working away as I type

All4 and My5 apk there also.

EDIT. It played until an ad break, which seemed to take an age to load ( trying to region optimise the ads?), then it stopped with an error. Probably not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

I have this set up. But as you said I have had to retune my Irish channels under Digital. I can reorganize them to 001 etc however they keep jumping back to the 800s. What's going on here. Mainly with RTEOne.

When that happens it means they drop out of my favorites.

Would like to avoid a reset obviously.

I'm on region UK on terrestrial, or digital as Sony call it, I've renumbered and they don't change. First thing I can think of is that in Setting/Channels/Channel setup/advanced you can turn off Auto service updates for Digital or Satellite. They're still turned on on mine, but..., I manually tuned in Saorview channel mux from two different masts, Mux1 on Kippure34 and Mux2 onThree rock 33, for reasons in an earlier post. When I done this originally in region Ireland, the auto tune would revert back to Kippure Mux 2 on 35, which was prone to cci interference, my digital list would look the same, just that Saorview service update substituted the Mux2 channel list, but all these mux2 channels would dissappear from my favourites. When trying different things to prevent this I disabled Digital, then re-enabled it, but if course it would only retune in region UK. Not wanting to reset, I manually tuned in 33 and 34, then renumbered them in my Digital list. they've stayed this way since, and don't try to retune to either Freeview numbering or Saorview mux pair. So you could try disabling Digital, re-enable, manually tune your chosen mast mux channels, then renumber and add add to favourites. I've not used my favourites since, as Its so easy to just jump to satellite and back. Heres a link to Saorview frequency chart for manual tuning of Saorview channels by mast.

Thank you.

I've turned off auto tune for "digital" and "satellite". The only satellite channels I use are CNN and Euronews. Any I am missing not on freesat?

Unrelated but whenever I select a channel from the guide I go to a black screen with program details. Then I select view. Can I turn this off and go straight to the channel?

Last question. Across, Digital, Freesat and Satellite there are loads of channel logos missing. Do you have the same issue? For example RTEOne is missing. RTE2 is there.

Sort of. If you hit the OK/Enter button to bring up channel guide bar, you can scroll left or right for the other channels on that tuner, then hit enter to immediately display the channel, or, scroll down to select Digital, Freesat, HD, etc then back up to select a channel within that source with left/right scroll and a press of OK. Tip; when you scroll back to the first channel on the tuner (say 101 BBC1), you can continue scrolling left to the highest numbered channel down, instead of scrolling all the way up. Can't do this on the guide, which can be a pain if you're trying to get back to 101 from 900 or something.

I've just checked my 'Digital' tuner logos (or 'picons' in Linux box parlance), I'm just missing VM3, VM4 and Challenge. Who knows where they're being sourced from what with UK region settings being used. I'm not even sure if they accompany epg data or the channel metadata at this stage, they didn't before, you had to have an Internet plugin or app on your tuner. I'm not keeping up these days, but if you want to read up current dvb-t specs....

Cheers again. Ya. I understand about changing channels that way. Although hadn't copped you can go back to top.

Learned a new word today! Although I would prefer no picons than some...

Hopefully my RTEOne will stay in place now.

• Advertisement

Just to update. My "digital" channels have stayed in place.

I still have some issues regarding the need to retune Freesat as the EPG doesn't update. Although this week it seems to be.

Just an update on this, ITVX working perfectly now on Sony Android, once you get a smart DNS sub. I renewed mine with https://www.smartdnsproxy.com , I wanted to watch the original 7 episode BBC 'Oppeheimer' series on BBC iPlayer, from1980 I think. I'd no BBC at that time. Excellent attention to detail, a little Hollywood-ish perhaps. I tried ITVX again and it worked great, though a bit heavy on ads. Players are a life saver, normal TV gone to hell. I'll go see "Oppy' in the cinema now, after a complete history lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Grey123

I have has a lot of frustration with the EPG for satellite on my Sony. Gave up and bought a Freesat box, the Manhattan SX. It doesn't record but I'm okay on that.

If you set the TV up for the UK the TV will recognise the box and you can control it with the TV remote.

You need to use the actual remote to tune in channels but the Sony remote will do the EPG and change channels.

Lesson learned about Sony.

Thats handy, I presume you have to select HDMi for the Manhattan first to use the Sony remote to read the Freesat EPG. I do something similar on my Sab Linux satellite)/terrestrial combo box , I use the Sab remote, but mostly I use the generic Dreamdroid app to read the Sab EPG on my phone. With this I can manually set a timer on the Sony to record something if its not showing on the Sony EPG, say a cup match on BBC1 that shows on the Sab EPG at 3.00 to 6.00, I'll just enter that manually on the Sony for BBC1. I can also just press timer record on the Dreadroid app EPG for that program, the app will set up the timer on the SAB box and It will record. I'm surprised the Manhattan doesn't have a record feature to a USB stick, this was bread and butter for satellite settop boxes, perhaps the Freesat license forbids it.

A lot of that went over my head! Not sure what a Dreamdroid is.

Ya I need to select the hdmi input for the Manhattan. Two button presses.

To be honest I haven't felt the need to record anything in years. I only watch news and sport live and would have no interest in not life.

I went with the TV as it had a built in sat receiver. Lesson is to buy the best screen. Although the one remote for TV, firestick and Manhattan is great.

Dreamdroid is a phone app which connects over your WiFi to the set top box, but only the Linux type ones which were popular a good few years back. They had full 7 day epg on satellite without needing Freesat licensing, which meant the box could have both terrestrial and satellite tuners in the one box, with a custom mixed EPG. They had a built in web interface, with the unoriginal name of OpenWebIf, which you could access from a browser or an app such as Dreamdroid on your phone. Heres a Dreamdroid page.

Here's WebIf browser page

If you knew how to port your box Internet address to the outside Internet WAN, you could control you box anywhere, even when abroad, change channels, set timers, and stream back to your phone, or laptop on a browser. You could watch RTE, or any satellite channel abroad in full without the geographical RTE player restrictions. Used to have great discussions in the boards Linux pages, as these boxes had, er, other abilities which no longer work, but gave rise to the words 'dodgy box'.

It's worth adding though the the Manhattan is ideal for your needs, its extremely cost effective, as fuller featured Freesat boxes with record, time shifting etc are several hundreds of €. I rarely record either, except during the recent RWC, I recorded stuff while watching the Rugby, even though it was available later on player, but recording let's you watch later and skip the interminable ads.

Two button presses is perfect. My other Samsung tv has full Freesat epg, but it's 11 button presses to go from Saorview to Freesat, and eleven more to get back, makes it unusable for quick channel hopping.

Interesting. There's a part of me that would like to go down a worm hole messing with stuff like that but I really don't watch a lot of TV. It's just about having the basic UK channels available when needed.

I'll go the same approach for any other TV I buy. The tricky thing will be ensuring that I can work it all with one remote.

Although Sony have moved to newer much smaller remotes which are nice. No number pad. Although you get both old and new style with the TV.

Not sure if you can buy one to work with older models.

You'd wonder did these manufacturers ever road test their products in a room full of random citizens, who would quickly report the bizarre or incongruous interfaces and controls and user experience. My frustration in buying TVs, which is very infrequently, is that it's impossible to find a retailer with tvs plugged into terrestrial, satellite, various boxes, maybe PlayStation if that's your thing, wifi turned on, etc. in other words, a real user home environment. Most just have internal or shop demos running from a 4k source. They wouldn't even have WiFi on so you could try the smart stuff out.

I bought the Sony virtually blind, it was so difficult to put one through its paces. The only positive test I managed to conduct was the side by side comparison of the full array images from xh9000 series compared to the lesser xh8000 models. it was worth the extra few hundred €, plus it had dual sat tuners and headphone BT. I put my faith in the Android OS to deliver the versatility I hoped for that other brands lacked. Freesat EPG aside, it does the job, especially on upscaling sub SD tv channels like VM terrestrial. All the players work, the VM HD one a real bonus, so it'll do for me. If you find a setup that works for you, stick with it, enjoy the content and forget the damn interface peculiarities, for they'll all drive you mad one way or another.

Ya it would be nice to be able to really try stuff. I think we need to accept that we are in a bit of a grey area in Ireland with regard to set ups. Or at least not a market that is designed for or has the population to support Ireland specific detailed reviews etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement