Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Trick or treaters seemed to be out early my way about 4.45, we were visiting my Mam and other grandparents, a few neighbours at my mams, my little one enjoyed it, down my in-laws way the callers seemed to be finished by 6 pm

My little one arrived to her nanas yesterday and said Merry Halloween

We are having a cosy day at home we’ve some sickness brewing hopefully it passes quickly

Decided to tackle a kitchen press or 2 this morning to begin the big clean… 3 bottles of unopened Baileys out of date 🥴 1 left for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm not a fan of all the extra plastic either. Definitely back to basics next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Christmas lights starting to be put up earlier this morning in Cork City centre, so now it really begins 😃😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning All, Happy First Day of the Season! Hope you all had a lovely Hallowe'en! We were away in Clare for the weekend & it was just lovely! The weather was fab! And thankfully it stayed dry for us Trick or Treating last night. We live in a rural area so all the kids meet up & do a spooks parade around the houses. They have a ball & it's much safer when they are in a group. We are still doing the covid bags which means that even though they only went to about 6 houses, we've enough sweets here as if they'd gone to 50 houses! Will leave it with them for a day or two and then slowly start to dispose of it.

Looking forward to getting the Christmas feels now - kids are raring to write their Santy letters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This was our first Halloween in this house (well technically second but last year it was on the bank holiday Monday so we weren't home). I didn't know what to expect, our estate is small and not all houses have kids so I didn't know if we'd have any callers...well our first callers were at 5.30 and at 6.30 I had to run down to the corner shop to stock up, they had me cleared out 🤣 Kids from the houses out the country roads were getting driven in with their parents so I hadn't factored that in Was talking to one of the neighbours after and she said oh yes we get inundated every year, someone should have warned you, lol. About 40 kids I'd say, in our last place we were lucky to get 4. All good fun, though OH had to go to a wake and I had to handle the constant door knocking on my own. Some neighbours let off a few fireworks in their field across the road and by about 8.30 it was all over and the rain had started. A fun night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finally into the best part of the year! Was feeling absolutely lousy yesterday so took a Covid test before I went to bed - it was positive. Stuck in the house for the rest of the mid-term. I had planned to take a day or two off and bring the kids bowling or something else fun 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Heard on IrelandAM this morning, one man made the callers sing a Christmas song before he gave them treats.....was it any of you guys !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I bought my first present yesterday and I've figured out what I'm getting my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I'm going to pick up tickets to the wizard of oz in the bord gais. I'll get down in person next week save myself about 40 euro in gouging fees from ticketmaster!

I can't wait to take down all my Halloween decorations once I finish work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not one Trick or Treater have to spend test of week eating sweets🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I started a thread for the Christmas ads of 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I pop this in here every year so better continue the tradition https://www.mcgonigleglassstudio.com/ourshop/cat_1754561-Christmas.html

Beautiful Christmas decorations 🙂

Guys, found out today that my lovely mammy, who deserves everything for how much she does for us all, was 1 number short on the lotto plus last week...missed out on €1million 😭

Sickened doesn't even cover it. She got €68...better than nothing I suppose!

I've started Christmas shopping. Just the little man bought for so far 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think @DvB might have bet you to it on the ad thread

Thanks for some reason I could only see the Advent Calandee thread!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The Box on Freeview has started playing Christmas hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Down in Wexford to see The Waterboys in the Spiegeltent

Why does everyone talk like there from the North haha

The Rissole is no Blaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

same here one year I've stopped now, If you ever get a chance grab a calculator and multiply what was won, take away from prize on offer and then add another million for those that bought a ticket and didn't win a cent. Sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

For clarification

Lotto Plus 1  

Match 5 Numbers  €500

Match 4 Numbers plus the bonus ball €50

Lotto Plus 2 

Match 5 Numbers  €250

Match 4 Numbers plus the bonus ball €25

Never changes.

So €68 for 5 numbers on the Lotto Plus is a bit of a mystery.🤔

Oh that is odd!🤔 Thanks for the info 👍

Maybe she did win big and is hiding it from me 🤣🤣 The plot thickens 🤣

• Advertisement

Got an email today from these guys, no idea what they're like though.

10% off today with code INVITE10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Maybe she did it in the bookies - they pay out differently. Either way the gap is way too big.

Definitely not done in a bookies but I'll get more details tomorrow and report back!😄

Figured it out 🤣 She had 4 numbers plus the bonus ball (so close!) so got €50 and the remainder was made up from small wins on other draws. Poor mammy Jellybear...maybe next time 🤞

Post edited by jellybear on

I'm currently trying to making lists.

One features work/days off/DIY/Christmas Stuff.

The other is things I need to buy.

I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Christmas cooking back on the Food Network channel yesterday, I still haven't a music channel to go to yet though.

Was out walking the dog and was wondering which of the houses in the neighbourhood will have the tree and decorations up first? There is two houses behind us that usually have them up between the 15th and 20th of Nov, they live next door to each other and if one puts up the tree the other is literally the next day so I think there's a bit of rivalry going on there. 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With my tree going up on the 24th this year, I suspect I might be one of the first on my street to have the tree up. Will be interesting to see if anyone goes earlier to beat the Late Late crowd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also it's hard to believe that my tree is going up 3 weeks tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone

Chilly one out there this morning

I’m the same @freshpopcorn making lists house jobs/jobs for himself/gifts/what’s left for the little one

Also what’s needed for the house decoration wise I would like to get some nice lights to hang on kitchen double doors maybe front windows too

I am going to try get most things boxed off after a few bills within the week, I’ve never done it all this early before so fingers crossed

I like these guys that I saw Yesterday!

• Advertisement

Who do you have your TV package with? You can manually tune in channels with Sky

I brought my lunch to work with me Today so I wouldn't go out and waste money! I ended up in a gift shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Drove to Tralee last night and saw a house just outside Farranfore with Christmas lights on so then we had to listen to a Christmas playlist all the way home 😂. Up the walls today trying to get organised as we are off to Spain tomorrow for a month and we have the painters coming in while we are away.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

A friend in work showed me a video sent to him by his pal back home - this lad had a fully decked out house and tree up on November 1st! And I thought this forum was an enthusiastic bunch 😂

As much as I love Christmas I’m not a fan of premature Christmas decorations.

November 24th is the earliest I’ve ever put them up and that’s this year!

The whole 1st November crew are the same gobshites that have the decorations back down before NYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

1000% convinced that people who put them up Nov 1st don't actually love Christmas. It's more for show or for social media.

I couldn't imagine having our decorations down before New years day. Just doesn't sit right with me.

• Advertisement

Just a friendly reminder that the Easter eggs are due in.

I can't imagine it either.

I couldn't put stuff up this earlier even though I love Christmas.

Some people have Christmas themes tough and everything is thrown out e ery year or every few years.

With no meaning to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Got the Christmas projector light in ALDI. Now currently having a holloween v Christmas projector light mash up 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was in the Range today in tralee,some brilliant Christmas bits, we inevitably picked up a few new baubles.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I went to Tesco to get cake/pudding supplies.

They were cleared out of the Jacobs tins and most of the tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Talking of decorations up early, social media, looking for a bit of attention - girl in work put up a fully decorated picture of her fireplace this evening. In fairness she is always early with the decs every year.

Usually on social media we get a few pictures or videos online showing the outside of houses fully decked out in September or October for Christmas but that doesn't seem to have happened as much this year.

The box has changed to BoXmas just heard all i want for christmas mariah carey for the first time this year don't think it will be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bought a few Choclate tubes today

It begins

Aldi have puff pastry mince pies!

Arnotts Christmas lights turned on tonight.

They look great! Can't wait to get into the city center to dusk up some of the atmosphere over the next few weeks.

In other news, I'm going to rant, still really under the weather with Covid and it's incredibly infuriating. It feels like the worst great cold I've ever had, coupled with aches and pains in my joints and a thundering headache. It just send to keep getting worse each day and my throat is raw from the runny nose 🤦

Ah no!! COVID gave me the worst congestion I've ever had in my life. I was blocked up in the face for a solid month, never seen anything like it and suffered badly from congestion pressure headaches.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh my God. Have you seen the new tree in Kings Cross St Pancras in London? I'm nearly hyperventilating looking at it, a book lovers dream. It has cubbys around the bottom where you can sit and read your book!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have a horrible suspicion that's what I have, tested last Sunday and was clear but you've described my week since then pretty well. Congestion and sinus discomfort I've never experienced previously despite having had a couple of sinus infections before, this is off the charts though. Will test again today.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

We've just organised to get new floors throughout the house. So in two weeks time when it's all done I'll think about Christmas decorating. Don't think I cam do as early as the 24th though. We've never had a toy show tradition, usually up 1st or 2nd weekend in Dec.

• Advertisement
Advertisement