Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

This is really making me think twice about my desire to buy a Tesla, it looks like a lot of car for the money. I find the rear of the M3 is quite tight. The frunk in the Seal looks more useable for me than the M3 because it's deeper. Incredible amount of tech for the price. Parking sensors and 360 cam are a necessity nowadays imo, especially parking sensors. Ridiculous approach from Tesla doing away with them, hopefully they will return soon. The only downside of the seal is the lack of access to supercharger network, and yearly service requirements. I'm sure there will be software issues but should be sorted with updates. It will be interesting to see what the headlight spread and intensity is like. I hope it's not a focused to a centre point like most Chinese cars. I look forward to Bjorn getting his hands on one soon.

What's the situation with pricing? Are MSL still adding 2-3k MSL tax to the brochure price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

People in other markets have commented on ability to set memory profiles for seats so wonder if that's hidden somewhere in the menus.

Just looking into that a bit further and the manual says this

And I found this pic online of what the 2 memory settings buttons look like I think

So if anyone else who is test driving it soon could check are those buttons there on Irish models that would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

On the LHD cars the indicators are on the left of the steering wheel. Strange that they would move them to the wrong side on the RHD version.

It is strange, especially when the atto and dolphin's indicators are on the left side if memory serves me correctly. It will probably be rectified at some stage like they did with the BYD slogan. It's still better than the refresh Model 3 with the capacitive button indicators! I wish BYD with provide one pedal driving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your price list is about €2k short alright. €51k for the AWD and €46k for the RWD.

The exact Prices have been posted many times in previous posts.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Seems a lot of car for the money. I'll be watching this thread, and the Tesla threads, with interest as I may be changing motors in the new year. Tesla may even have another price cut by then to compete given the cost of the Model 3 when selecting a different colour and upgrading wheels 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Always great to see competition, it's the best way to encourage innovation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great to see, all I could choose from was a Leaf when buying or an out of reach Tesla, how the market has improved since then

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Price cuts could certainly be a reason to hold off for a while. BYD have the ability to seriously undercut Tesla if they want, they have done so in markets outside Europe. Taxes and shipping add to prices here, but Tesla are subject to those also.

BYD are now about to overtake Tesla in volume and with higher margins.

https://www.investors.com/news/tesla-vs-byd-2023-comparing-ev-rivals-tsla-stock/

When the Xpeng P5 and Nio ET5 are on sale there will be a real competitive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They are expected to pass them in total BEV sales in Q4.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

I also got a quote lately that omitted delivery charges. Wonder have they been dropped from the price

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Probably a good chance of them managing it worldwide given they've a much broader choice of models.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

Or Europe decides on adding tariffs to Chinese EV's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

• Registered Users Posts: 12 itsmeitsme

I test drove the AWD Seal today. Thoughts...

Good points:

- it looks absolutely stunning. Looks wise, if it had a Mercedes badge people would be raving about it.

- the power would warp your brain it's so fast. Far too fast for people that aren't used of fast cars in truth. I suspect the single motor rear wheel drive car will be lovely and will be more than fast enough.

- It felt well built (other than one issue listed in bad points), no rattles or creaks, sound insulation was good. It's a nice place to be.

- not a Seal good point, but it is worth noting that the BYD salesman was extremely well informed and very nice to deal with.

- it comes with a 2 year service plan

- it comes with a 6 year/150,000km warranty. People buying Volkswagen EVs with measly three warranties need their heads examined compared to the 6 and 7 year warranties with the Chinese and Koreans cars.

- Lfp battery and range are class leading. Really impressive

Bad points:

- service is required every 20,000km. This is utterly unnecessary on an EV. Going in for service, waiting for the car etc is a nuisance. Korean EVs are 30,000km and Tesla don't require any.

- the suspension on the AWD car does jiggle around too much if you have the opportunity to get a proper test drive on some traditional Irish bumpy and uneven surfaces. It's fine on smooth roads but even a hard riding Tesla is fine on smooth roads. It never truly settles or flows with the road when the surface is uneven, which over time would be irritating and doesn't lend itself to relaxing smooth journeys. All the reviews say that the single motor rear wheel drive car, which has different dampers, rides better. There aren't any single motor rear wheel drive cars available to test this year, but if the reviews are to be believed, the rear wheel drive car's suspension will be the one to have.

- the seats look absolutely stunning, however, when you sit in you feel the initial softness of the padding and then it feels abit hard. I would be concerned about what it might be like to do long journeys in this seat. This is a point of concern rather than a bad point

- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). It defaults to everything on everytime you start the car, regardless of whether you switched any of the systems off the last time you used the car. Please note, this is an EU regulation so all newly launched cars will have this, welcome to the future 😬. It is annoying, there is no point stating otherwise. It beeped when the speed limit changed, just one beep, but it's another beep on top of beeps. When I was above the speed limit it beeped alot. This will wreck people's heads. These systems can be switched off, including lane keeping etc etc, however, the implementation of the interface is really poor. For example, to switch off the beeping that occurs when you change speed limit zone or go above the speed limit, it required 6 presses, the same for other ADAS systems. The menu structure for this is overly complex.

Even worse is that at one point I entered a 30kph zone and then turned left onto another street. The street I turned onto had a 50kph limit but the car's screen displayed 30kph and was beeping at me whilst I drove at 45kph, 5kph under the actual speed limit for that street. Head melting. It did correct itself after awhile.

- if you are getting finance, interest rates are high, 6.9%. To be fair, the car is very keenly priced so it balances out.

- the electric adjustment to raise and lower the driver's seat was broken on the car in the showroom. Worry about reliability.

- adjusting the heating via touch screen is fine, it was permanently displayed on the bottom of the screen so it was just one press. Would it be the case if android auto was in use? I don't know as I didn't use android auto. Adjusting the heated seats requires a number of presses however, given the size of the screen, surely it should be possible to have heated seat and steering wheel options available without having to go into a number of sub menus.

- the indicators are on the right stalk, wipers on the left stalk. I haven't seen that since Toyotas of many decades ago!! But hey, at least it has stalks....

Overall:

It is an extremely promising car with so much spec. We are looking at it for the second EV in our house (already have an EV6) and we also drove a new Kia Niro EV yesterday. The Niro is €3,500 more expensive, with significantly less range and overall specification and has older battery chemistry... and yet the sum of the Niros parts produces a car that feels like a better package. The Niro rides better, has more comfortable seats, has a user interface that is light years ahead of the Seal whereby everything is available without the requirement to trawl through submenus. Only lane keeping is turned on my by default (as the Niro launched pre May 2022) and that can be turned off simply by pressing one button on the steering wheel.... despite the above and the annoying beeping/poor interface, the Seal remains on the table as an option owing to just how handsome it is and how impressive the battery and motors are.

Post edited by itsmeitsme on

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Great review - thanks for that

Was really intrigued by your comments about the Niro. I have the new Niro and was thinking of changing to the Seal. I was thinking that the seal would win hands down when up against each other. I will know more after my test drive next Monday. Niro is a great car but the Seal looks and range are far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Apparently there's a way of switching the assists off by default even when car is turned off as the software doesn't seem to be too difficult to get into.

Hopefully the BYDs will become popular enough as I had a fella out to code in start stop off by default and a few other bits on a BMW.

The bmw start stop can be coded out on your phone now using Bimmercode. It can also be set to remember last position so you interchange between them both.

On the EV, it’s slightly more involved to get into the system. There rumours of API hacks but would you risk it on a brand new EV, especially if it can brick the system.

As mentioned above, all these safety systems are default and regulation required, it’s how they achieve their NCAP safety rating. They have to default to on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Oh I know but it's already been cracked in China and according to local reports the current EVs seem to be a lot less brickable in general. Only a matter of demand in the market as eventually all APIs, ECUs are cracked as long there's someone willing to pay for it.

Agree yes. User settings should be saved against that profile. Such a simple task.

So, my thoughts.

I'm not Nobby on Cars so don't expect a pin perfect review here.

I arrived in my Tesla Model 3 Performance to give a idea of comparison.

I've had various performance cars over the years. I'm well versed in EV's having driving them since 2012.

Price is €51,786 as well documented for the AWD Excellence version.

Indicator stalks on the right.

I didn't find this an issue as I've had many JDM cars over the years ranging from every Honda Type R to Evos, STi's to Prius!

Quality.

I found it to be very good quality. The Electric seat button was broken already so not sure if that's a sign of things to come or just the fact its a demo car, but it only had 179km on it.

The seats are better than my M3P. Much more sports/bucket Seat orientated and held you in place that bit better.

The interior feels really well put together. The seats are quite soft. Softer than I expected so not sure how they will fair out over time.

The rotating screen i found a bit gimmicky, i left it in landscape mode. Portrait mode kinda took over the whole front view.

The UI was good and responsive. Not as good as the Tesla IMO, I didn't like the fact you had to trawl through some menus just to increase the fan speed. maybe there's some quick settings in there like the tesla. Or maybe I just have to get used to it after being spoilt by the Tesla UI.

The black paint was badly marked already. Really deep swirls and scrapes on the bonnet, front bumper and down the sides. Maybe not noticeable to those that see cars as boxes, but I notice these things. In fairness though, most modern paints are soft, from BMW to tesla to VW etc

The AWD version has lovely drilled ventilated discs, but the wheel design hides this detail which is a shame, I assume to the benefit of aerodynamics.

I would love to see this car in 6 months as I'd like to see how the interior quality holds up and we are not getting blown away by that new car feeling.

I didn't like the constant beeping and settings which reset every drive. That annoying.

I didn't get to open her up properly but performance is as you'd expect. i wasn't blown away considering my car history, but i wasn't disappointed. It was as id expect it to be. The tesla has it for that initial surge in power but in the real world, there's very little in it.

It felt bigger than the M3.

It also felt like it had more leg room in the rear.

Boot felt smaller with the lower storage area a lot smaller as this is where i keep my work PPE, they fully fit in the M3P but they wont fit in the Seal space. Frunk is smaller too. But i hardly use this to be honest any more.

Summary.

I like it.

100% competition for the Tesla Model 3 and in this segment, the smaller saloon, i don't thinks there's many EV's available. Everything else is an SUV or a take on a small cross over.

Am I buying one?

Depends on the cost to change.

I wish the M3P Highland was available to get a proper comparison before committing.

Visual.

Ice Blue is lovely.

Blue interior is kind of white with a hint of blue and I prefer that over the black. The black interior, like all other black interiors was kinda dull and boring. Id like to say id go for the blue interior but not with the Ice Blue exterior as it would be too much, maybe the Atlanis Grey on the light interior will be a good combo. Id prefer the Indigo Grey but not sure id pay the 1500 for it. We shall see.

Edits.

I actually forgot about the soft mushy brake pedal. Not a good feeling in a 530bhp car to be honest.

the HUD was great. One thing Tesla needs. But I might go out on a limb here and say the dash was cluttered with the hud and the dash behind the wheel.

efficiency. Dash showing 24 kWh/100km.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Did you test drive the Black AWD in BYD North Dublin? The electric seat button was working for my test drive this afternoon, full range of adjustment.

Here's a summary of my short test drive. Apologies for the wall of text. I tried to space the points but can't do it while numbered.

1. The driver seat is comfortable, nice side support and lumbar support is quite good. No lumbar support adjustment on passenger seat and I felt there isn't anywhere near enough padding in the lower back area to make up for the lack of electric lumbar adjustment. Rear seats also have poor lumbar support , more padding needed, would definitely get tiring on a long journey in its current form. I have no issues with my back. It's something to consider and test yourself if carrying adults/teenagers regularly in the rear.
    2. It's noticeably easier to get in and out of the Seal compared to the Model 3.
    3. Undoubtedly more knee room and a little bit extra foot space in the rear of the Seal than the Model 3 with the front seat set at my preferred position.
    4. The glass panoramic roof is really nice, one continuous glass panel like in the Model Y so it gives a feeling of more space than the Model 3 with the Middle beam intruding into rear passengers FOV. It is nicely tinted. I sat in the rear as the sun was beaming down at one point, no issues for me and provides great visibility in the cabin regardless of interior colour.
    5. As Gumbo said, it's not as intuitive as Teslas infotainment. More difficult to find setting and change settings. There's menus and submenus, swiping left to right to see more menu options that could easily be shown on the screen without having to swipe to find them. They need to refine and continuously improve it, which I'm sure they will do. The infotainment screen is not bright enough. Today was rather Sunny and I had difficulty seeing what was on the infotainment, especially when wearing my sunglasses. There was a LOT of glare on the screen, brightness was set to max. BYD need to change the menu colour to white instead of blue for daytime driving to offset for the lack of screen brightness. To paraphrase Bjorn Nyland, it's very much Chinese design and layout.
    6. There is a "Easy Entry" setting like with Tesla but only for the Seats because the steering wheel is manual adjustment. It's predefined and can't be set to how you want your "Easy Entry" setup.
    7. The car felt comfortable in comfort mode, took bumps quite well. Sport mode definitely stiffened the suspension nicely.
    8. Interior storage space is quite good in the door bins. Decent space inside the centre arm console and under centre console.
    9. The glovebox is very tight and opening was rather restrictive.
    10. The driver needs to lean over the centre console to the passenger side to plug cables in the to usb-c/A ports due to the positioning under the centre console but it's not a big issue as you wont be regularly plugging/unplugging wires.
    11. Storage space in the boot and frunk is noticeibly less than the Model 3, little underfloor storage, barely big enough for charging cables. The boot closing mechanism is very well engineered. Completely silent. Boot can also be opened and closed from drivers seat door by holding the boot release button.
    12. Like with the dolphin and atto, the brake pedal feel in the seal feels very weird. Mushy, soft? Doesn't give much confidence and the braking force is not linear. Model 3 is superior in mechanical brake/regen feel and deployment.
    13. I'm very disappointed they didn't implement one pedal driving like Tesla or Polestar. It shouldn't be a difficult feature to implement. I know some don't like it but it's a feature I absolutely adore. There wasn't much noticeable difference in the regenerative brake settings, regenerative should be much stronger.
    14. HUD is brilliant, a rare feature nowadays and very welcome to see it at a reasonably affordable price compared to other brands.
    15. Drivers display is good, bright and clear. It's fixed and does not move with steering column.
    16. ACC is rather good although it doesn't move once the car is stopped for a few seconds, have to touch accelerator for it to activate again. Can only increase speeds in 5km/h increments for cruise control/ACC, I was unable to find a way to do fine adjustments like you can in other brands by holding the increase/decrease button.
    17. Lots of bing bongs from the lane departure prevention and speed sign recognition system, very annoying and could be toned down. At one point one the way back to the Garage the right lane marking became non-existent due to wear, the car actually tried to steer towards a car stuck in traffic in the opposite oncoming lane, from my perspective I think it would have caused an accident if I didn't intervene in time but I can't be 100% certain.
    18. Pedestrian warning sound is too loud and it's very intrusive into the cabin when in slow moving traffic, it would absolutely wreck my head as a daily driver. When at a complete stop the noise ceases after about 5 seconds. I understand the necessity and legislation mandates it but again like with the bing bongs of the lane departure warning system/speed sign recognition, it needs to be toned down.
    19. The sound system was disappointing, I'm not an audiophile but it sounds is very 'muddy', flat, decent base but not good at anything really despite my efforts to adjust the equaliser settings. Teslas premium sound system is superior.
    20. Build quality felt solid, very well put together, no creaking or rattles. Nice door closing sound, not quite German level but still very good. Sound insulation was good. The blue seats feel lovely and the quilted design looks and feel very premium. Durability is unknown.
    21. Wing mirrors are nicely sized and visibility is good, rearview mirror visibility is not so good but it's not a negative for me, mirror visibility is better than the Model 3.
    22. I found the frunk surprisingly difficult to close properly. It took significantly more force to close than I've used on any other modern car.
    23. There's no ability(yet) to unlock/lock car with bluetooth phone proximity like with Teslas.
    24. Overhead grab handles are present inside all 4 doors(Tesla👀)
    25. Indicators are on the wrong side, salesman said the dealership is providing feedback to BYD so hopefully they will change this.
    26. 360 Cameras are brilliant, should be on every car at this price point. Parking sensors thankfully also included. A strange thing to be thankful for a car at this price point( Tesla 👀)
    27. The rain sensor worked(Tesla👀)
    28. BYD navigation maps is terrible, stick to google maps/waze.
    29. The Ice Blue colour is beautiful. I would pick Polar white paint/tahiti blue interior. White looks cleaner for longer and I just want to own a white car for my next upgrade. Atlantis grey paint would be a lovely choice if similar to crayon?
    30. Rear cross traffic alert is nice to have.
    31. I love having tactile buttons on steering wheel and centre console. I didn't have much trouble configuring the aircon but it could be better implemented. I didn't have time to test whether the shown temps are calibrated correctly.
    32. Nice subtle interior mood lighting.
    33. I hate that it requires yearly servicing. Why is this needed in a brand new EV nowadays? I know it's to keep the dealers happy but it wastes a day for me.
    34. Long basic vehicle and battery warranty(Vehicle: 150k/6 years, battery 200k/8years
    35. Wasn't able to fully test the acceleration but it felt as it should from my limited test drive. Traction was great. The steering felt nicely weighted in comfort and sport mode. Very surprised they managed to extract the claimed 530ps using a LFP battery and package a sizeable 83kWh LFP into relatively small package. Hats off to BYD for their innovative Blade battery.

It's a tough choice to choose between the Seal and Model 3 Highland. I would probably choose Model 3 Highland. Some reader are probably rolling their eyes thinking I'm a Tesla fanboy but hear me out. Boot space is bigger in the Model 3 if you have kids but don't want a crossover/Model Y. Driving dynamics are better in the Model 3. Infotainment is better in my opinion. Option of Youtube/Netflix. Supercharging network access when required. Infotainment interface is better designed and display is brighter. Sound system is superior in Model 3 Highland(tested in Germany recently). Ranger callout is a great service. One-pedal driving(I adore this and believe it should be a software option in all EV's). No yearly service intervals. More phone app features(BYD will improve in this area but will take time). Smartphone key proximity unlocking/locking. Sentry Mode(also live viewing). Better standard navigation system. More efficient. Charges faster(long range). I prefer being able to sit into a Tesla, press the brake and drive without having to press a start button, press park when finished driving and walk away.

There are things I dislike and hate about the Model 3 Highland, no Ultrasonic sensors, no HUD, no 360 cam, unreliable rain sensor(presumably, didn't test with highland), no stalks(can be retrofitted next year with 3rd party stalks but hopefully Tesla will reverse their design choice like with the yoke).

BYD offers a far better basic vehicle warranty(6 years/150k kilometres), parking sensors, HUD, rain sensor and 360 cam however I think the refinement of the model 3 and one-pedal driving makes the Tesla a better car for me.

The Seal is a great car for the price despite the added MSL tax, very good looking, and a welcomed competitor in the EV saloon space. It executes a lot of things very well and others not so well. It feels like first iteration. In the EV space, software is king, BYD needs to work hard in this area and will fix a lot of annoyances if they do so. If BYD adopts the approach of continuous annual improvement like Tesla then I believe it will be a cracking car in a few years.

I attached the Seal owners manual for those interested, although it's for left hand drive it should be mostly the same as RHD.

Good reviews but not great, disappointed to hear bad things about the music system as that was one of the attractions for me. Will test one next week all going well but might be sticking with my 231 ioniq 5 for now which I like a lot.keep posting folks 👍

Bear in mind that our reviews are very personal, based on our own preferences etc

You may very well find not one fault as it will suit you perfectly.

The Seal V the Model 3 argument will continue on just as people choose the A4 or a 3 series. Both competing in the same category and both good cars. Choice will come down to person preference with no real wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I found the frunk surprisingly difficult to close properly. It took significantly more force to close than I've used on any other modern car.

This is something I discovered as well. When we finished test drive I opened the bonnet to take a look at the frunk. I couldn't get it closed then and I was afraid to put too much pressure on it in case I was doing something wrong. Just left it like that and said it to the salesman back inside. He said you have to give quite a forceful 2 handed push down to close it again

• Advertisement

It's important we try to maintain some context here. It's good system when you consider the overall car package. 530ps AWD, premium feeling and looking interior, great range, HUD, 360 cam, blind spot warning, parking sensors, rear cross traffic alert, radar cruise control, Lane keep assist, electric boot etc etc.... The car is loaded with tech to be fair. For the price it really is market leading. Costs had to limited somewhere otherwise the retail price would soar far beyond most people's affordability. It's trying to be the jack of all trades and it does an amazing job of that.

Go look for all that spec in bmw, volvo, audi, Mercedes, hyundai, kia, you'd very easily soar past 75k, 100k.

So considering the context and looking at all the tech, power, range, space, warranty it gives you. It is without doubt a better car than a Model 3.

All of us have our own preferences and wants for a daily car and some people will weigh more value towards certain features than others. I put more value in one pedal driving and audio than I probably should but that's what I like and that's what makes me happy.

Advertisement