Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

You have Leinster signing 4 players. All at international standard. I dont see that being sanctioned and it shouldn't be.

I'd prefer to see Leinster maybe sign one marquee signing if required and let the the academy fill in the rest of the gaps.

All new players coming into Leinster are currently competing with an irish international, you are not going to get 4 players to potentially come in and sit on the bench. Any player that is satisfied with that isnt really the type of player that you want and your almost guaranteed they will let you down.

That's what happened last year.

Jenkins was poor at the business end of last year and should not have been ahead of mccarthy.

Alalatoa gave away the peno and got red carded which ultimately cost Leinster an opportunity to win the game.

Ngati started 12 games last season. Failed to score in all games and only lasted the full 80 in 2 games.

There are less games now during the november window or six nations so theses extra players aren't required. Id prefer to see leisnter back their academy over signing more journeymen.

Getting game time into Frawley, Osborne brownlee even Prendergast at 12 if they are fit is more beneficial to giving game time the likes of Ngati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ngatai was one of Leinsters better performers last season. He was excellent when he came on early for Henshaw against Toulouse. His biggest issue is the lack of availability. Was injured a lot last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ngatai has been brilliant when available. He tends to have one or two big moments in every game but the Toulouse game was at another level to anything else.

Whilst he had a bad injury run, he still managed 15 appearances for us last season so I'm pretty happy with him thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Frawley is in-between a rock and a hard place. He's not beating out Jack Carty, Cathal Forde, Bundee Aki or Santiago Cordero at Connacht, He would struggle to land a starting spot at any position at Munster and at best he would be competing for minutes at Ulster with Billy Burns.

I am convinced that the IRFU have been looking to get Oli Jager back to Ireland for years. With Fletcher Newell and Tamait Williams both ahead of him for New Zealand and the Crusaders, it looks unlikely that he will get his All black cap. He would be an excellent get to replace Ala'alatoa and be available for Irish selection. He's not as good as Furlong but he has similar ball carrying ability and a deceptive turn of pace.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,795 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jager couldn't get ahead of Michael alalatoa at the crusaders. Personally I'd find him quite an uninspiring replacement if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd imagine Oli Jager has had ample opportunity to come back to Ireland and has turned down advances.

Maybe the chap wants to continue living in New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree. He's not what's needed. We need a better player than Big Mike.

I doubt that Aungier would return. He's settle in nicely depth wise at Connacht. Bealham is not a spring chicken either. He'll be the starter in the future.

I wouldn't take Salanoa back. He's as injury prone as Henshaw and Carberry. Would make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jager is a case of far away hills are green. I remember when Jackman was seen as an incredibly promising talent because he was a head coach in the exotic T14.

Jager will be 29 next summer. He has 20 Super Rugby starts in his career. If he was willing to come back to Dublin, I'd see him as potentially taking game time away from someone else whilst not strengthening our first choice 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Jenkins should be cut, a waste of space to be frank. If we were after that sort of bulky lock, they ought to have looked to get Roux in, or just back some of the younger lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Jenkins strikes me as someone who has to be at his peak fitness to be effective playing Leinster's fast gameplan. So the start of a disrupted pre-season or returning from injury (like HC final) are not ideal. Hopefully he can come good again with a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Deeny (6'6", 118kg) and O'Tighearnaigh (6'7", 118kg) aren't exactly lightweights if the Leinster site is to believed. How much of a difference it would make to regular season league game results if Deeny was bumped up to the starting XV and O'Tighearnaigh was promoted to the bench is a matter for debate, I suppose. The first two games of the season would probably have been unaffected, match points-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not sure why Frawley would leave? if my prediction is right he is going to spend a lot of time at 15 this season with Keenan getting extended rest time. As most Irish international players the number of games they play for leinster is limited and Keenan is one of the first names on the team sheet. He is also not that far outside the Ireland squad so can't see any reason for him to leave?

Conners is 27, only coming into his prime and has managed to stay injury free recently. Again with Irish internationals out the door most of the season if he picks up a lot of Leinster games he could easily be back into the Ireland squad. From memory post 2019 a lot of people said JVDF would leave Leinster and look how that turned out, Conners will only be 31 come next WC. He is the one player who if can stay fit would be in a potential for Ireland starter

The front row is probably more up in air and tough decisions will need to be made very soon.

Wouldn't trust the Leinster site. Molony was listed about 8kg's more than he said he was. O'Tughernaigh was listed at 109 kg's at the u20 world cup. He's probably a little heavier. I do think he's got the build to get to about 118kg.

Connors is competing with Penny, who's very, very good. A run of injury free matches will help him, I suppose. I personally prefer Penny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Conners is 27, only coming into his prime and has managed to stay injury free.

Staying injury free has been a massive issue for Connors tho. Hopefully he can get a good run of it.

From memory post 2019 a lot of people said JVDF would leave Leinster

I honestly don't remember a single person suggesting as much....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think frawley would start at ulster at some point. Also, yes please. Sign Jager Leinster.

Penny is very good, but so was Connors. I would see Ruddock leaving before Connors, especially with Penny getting captain recently.

Would Penny be backup long term to Doris when Conan retires? not that I want to retire Conan or anything but injuries in backrow are regular for Leinster and Ireland

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I’d say that answer would decide if he leaves or not.

Leinster clearly took a decision circa 2019/20 that he wasn't a 10 and have moved him around, I am making a guess that if he had an issue he would have moved before now but it's a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jesus christ, are we still talking about Oli f*cking Jager

I guess it depends on how much farrell likes him there, and if frawley wants to fight for the international spot.

Wonder could Leinster manage to entice one of the Brennan's back? I know their dad pretty much swore a vendetta against the Irfu/ Leinster, but perhaps the prospect of playing for a top club might overcome that. Don't think either of them are at Toulouse anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why talk about him when its very clear he doesnt really have any interest in coming back to play here. He's in New Zealand a decade now. all his adult rugby has been in new zealand

I’m honestly not sure Daniel is that good. Joshua is a massive prospect but he should probably see if he can play for france first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would they have the interest or are good enough?. Trevor never swore anything but dont see them coming back.

Daniel is playing in ProD2 while Josh is still with Toulouse but playing very little for them

• Advertisement

Couldn't say, I remember reading there was some hype about them at underage. Leinster might offer more opportunity if things have stalled for them

Advertisement