Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

By their own targets for provincial 15s, 1 HC is a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

They could incentivise moves. More money, give them a Leinster mentor at the new province etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

True enough. But Ulster are loaded with Leinster players. As are Connacht. There's been some movement. Alternatively, Leinster have only 1 Ulsterman in the squad and 1 Connacht man

I fail to see how this benifits Leinster?

If JOB doesn't **** up and Sexton and Keenan don't get in each other's way, Leinster probably crawl over the line 2 years back. That's on Sexton and O'Brien, nothing whatsoever to do with Nucifora.

It's not about benefitting Leinster. It's about benefitting Irish rugby overall.

• Advertisement

At Leinster's cost? How is this remotely fair?

Is it fair that the IRFU signed a deal with Aviva that means internationals can no longer be played anywhere other than Dublin, despite a rich tradition of internationals in Belfast?

No.

Was it the smart move for the game here, given the money involved?

Yes.

We're asking questions about the best way to organise the game here off the back of missing out on another of our stated goals, again, going out in the QFs, again, and the first parameter everyone puts down is "no action should be taken that will inconvenience my province".

If moving players about improved the overall health of the game and upped talent and competition for the international team, you'd be against it because there'd be no direct benefit to your province?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Actually you can force players to move, it's a joined up system. The IRFU is the BOD or c suite or whatever corporate analogy you want to draw. They employ everyone else through subsidiaries which are the provinces. The IRFU could literally institute a draft tomorrow and distribute young pros between the provinces. I'm not suggesting that they should but simply that they could and players can decide to go along with it, not become pros or head off abroad and try their luck. Such and such doesn't want to live in Galway or Belfast, So what? This is really not a problem, people move for work all the time, particularly if one office has a surplus of accountants while another has a deficit. I don't believe we have ever heard that guards shouldn't have to move to where they are assigned because all their friends and family are in Cahersiveen, people would laugh if you suggested it, but somehow if a kid's family and friends are in Blackrock the idea of being 'forced' to move 90 minutes down the road to Limerick is some kind of human rights violation.

The HC is Europe, no other way to judge it. Not winning is not winning, its not harsh to judge a sports team who keep failing at the final hurdle. Why? Something is going wrong. Leinster fans often don't like to hear it but there is a problem at Leinster when ROG can pick them apart 3 years in a row when they have most of the best rugby team in the world on their roster. Same goes for Saracens. I don't know whether the coaches think its good enough but if they do we need better coaches.

But where is the cut off? Do we just send Porter, VDF and a couple of others to Ulster? To make Ulster good. While disabling Leinster. Who's going to gain from that? Exactly what competition would VDF or Ryan have at Ulster? They stroll into that side sleepwalking.

Ulster have had, Jordie, Jack Mc, Timoney, EOS and they just took Brigg into the academy. I'm not knocking Ulster but, weakening 1 province to prop up the others is not the answer. Connacht have taken 4 Leinster players into their academy. Munster took 1. It's not like there's no movement. It seems, some want the international Leinster players dispersed among the other provinces rather than produce their own talent.

If it happens, fine. But there is nothing to suggest that another province will beat Toulouse etc, even with a couple of Leinster player.

I want the game to grow and I believe it is in some parts.

So force them! Go ahead and prop up provinces with Leinster players. It would basically just cut off a pathway for young players in the other provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be honest my heart sinks a little everytime Ulster sign a Leinster B or C player. Sometimes they work out well such as Cooney, Timoney and O'Connor, most of the time they don't.

I'd far rather we produced our own, and I sometimes think we don't back our own young players enough.

That said, whether the redistribution of players is fair to Leinster or not is irrelevant. As Paul says there are plenty of things in Irish rugby that aren't fair to the other provinces, but we have a pyramid system that all points to the Ireland team. If Harry Byrne (for example) was sent to Ulster, it wouldn't be to boost Ulster, it would be to create more depth in Irish rugby and benefit the international team.

Realistically are Ulster ever going to compete with Leinster if a third of our team are made up of players who wouldn't even be second choice at Leinster?!

The lesson is the provinces need to produce their own, but the fact is we don't have the resources Leinster have so will probably never have the depth except for generational cycles (see 80s for Ulster and 00s for Munster). We have a decent schools system, Leinster have probably the best in the world, or at least comparable to SA and NZ. They're almost always going to be the main source of players for Ireland and a comfort blanket for the other three provinces when they are light in certain areas.

What's unfair about the provinces producing their own lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If it is actually a problem then there is a simple enough fix. You can’t get picked for ireland if you aren’t consistently in your province’s 23 for big games.

If Harry B goes to Ulster, it would boost Ulster. Nothing wrong with that. Same if Pat McCarthy went to Ulster. He'd bypass Reid in a month and EOS by the years end. I Don't dispute the benifits. But the benifits are for the other provinces. If Connacht were to win a trophy it would be due to the multitude of Leinster players in the system.

Well, the answer is exactly the same. The international team - the top flight.

I don't want it to happen. I don't think it will happen. But if the IRFU thinks a draft system will improve Irish rugby, Leinster would just have to take it on the chin, and there are ways and means. That's all the point that I was making - certainly no-one was talking about established internationals moving, and when I talked about competition, I didn't mean intra-team competition.

No other province would beat La Rochelle. But would Irish rugby be in a better place if we had two provinces in semi-finals and two out in quarter finals rather than Leinster losing in the final again? If the answer is yes, then it's worth thinking about how they make that happen.

Those moves may boost the other provinces. But that's not why those moves would happen. The moves would happen to benefit Irish rugby. Not Ulster, not Connacht, not Munster, not Leinster, they would be done to benefit Ireland.

Edit - I've joined this conversation halfway through so may have missed something. I see Paul talking about a draft system. I wouldn't want to see that.

No, the benefit is for the international team.

I don't see the point in Leinster hogging three potential international out halves in the two Byrnes and Sam Prendergast, while also having Ciaran Frawley who can play 10 there ably. Sure its nice having 3 quality 10s to cover the minor URC games, but I don't think it's benefitting the national team to have those guys restricted to 10 or fewer games a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nobody on this forum has said anything like that. In an ideal world they all would produce everyone they need but that world has never existed. there always has been some movement between provinces and always will be a fair bit of movement in this pro era with IRFU controlling all 4 provinces.

all provinces are producing their own players but wont be able to compete directly on the same level as Leinster for very obvious reasons that is impossible to directly replicate elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Doubt the other provinces are queuing up for Harry Byrne right now

Ok. I realize that there's problems in the system. But another scenario could be a Ben Healy type scenario. X can't play for x province so feck it, he's off to another place. James Cronin went to England rather than stay in the Irish system. Some players may move.

I expect to see a couple of Leinster players leave this year. I believe that 1 could jump over to Stu at Racing. I wouldn't be surprised if Frawley or HB leave either.

Nor do I - and I agree with your post earlier - I don't want unwanted Leinster players. I want a couple of box office NIQs and the rest born and bred Ulstermen. But I don't know if that's currently feasible.

What I actually want is the IRFU to pour money into Ulster's underage system.

No benifit for Ulster! Hymmmm. Please stop, Harry is in the 23 right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Pour money to use where though? Into what areas of underage system?

Ulster would take him in a minute. Billy Burns and HB would be a good bit of depth.

What players would that have affected in the squad that just played in the RWC? Any?

I'm not sure what you mean. I hadn't mentioned Harry Byrne.

• Advertisement

I think you will get what you want soon. There's no way that Sheridan, McNabney and McLoughlin aren't quality players.

Advertisement